2017 Dodgers Thread
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 339, 340, 341, 342  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
OCWA
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Nov 01, 2017 10:29 pm    Post subject:

Bullpen let down and team didn't hit. How in the hell did we get to a 7th game?
DrWolf
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Wed Nov 01, 2017 10:30 pm    Post subject:

OCWA wrote:
Bullpen let down and team didn't hit. How in the hell did we get to a 7th game?

I just think we were gassed

KOBE BRYANT
1978-2020
BLACK MAMBA RIP
2020 WORLD CHAMPION LAKERS!
2020 WORLD CHAMPION DODGERS!
ChickenStu
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Nov 01, 2017 10:31 pm    Post subject:

^
But we were tied 2-2 in the Series and had Kershaw on the mound with a 4-0 lead, and then a 7-4 lead. It's really simplistic to say, but as good as he is, you have to love your chances under those circumstances. Losing Game 5 was a colossal blow. It wasn't an insurmountable blow, but if you win that game, it just changes what you have to accomplish in the final 2 games (duh).
Shalashaska
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Nov 01, 2017 11:25 pm    Post subject:

ChickenStu wrote:
Wilt wrote:
As soon as I heard a number of players basically guaranteeing a victory if they could get to game 7, I had a bad feeling.

My bad feeling was from losing Game 5. That was a game we had to have and should have had. We were actually kind of lucky to have leads against Verlander in both of his starts, as good as he was throwing.

I'm not going to beat the dead horse with Kershaw. But Game 5 is a game you have to have when you score 7 runs with him on the mound.

Yeah. Cant blow 4,3 and then finally a 1 run lead in a pivotal WS game and expect to come out unscathed. That's where it turned.

Props to this Dodger 2017 team however. They showed me spirit and a spark I havent seen from this organization in over two decades. Hope its something we can build on and move forward going into next season. Playoff baseball is cruel, random and nothing is guaranteed (which is why not being to cash in on this season at this stage stings so much), but let's hope we can get back to this stage and get a shot at redemption, ala the 2015 Royals (who lost the Giants the previous year in 7 games at home).

Definitely bring back Morrow, Forsythe, Watson (and excuse me if I'm missing any others who may be on FA contracts). Those dudes played a major role out of the pen, and Forsythe as a utility guy who got some big hits and at ABs in this series.

I wouldnt lose much sleep if we lost Darvish - his playoff performance is a pretty good microcosm of his career. Great, not so great, terrible. Hoping Wood can turn into our legit number 2 starter and maybe Urias can develop more and take on the number 3/4 role further.

And of course, props to the Astros. Solid team, top to bottom. They were a worthy opponent and deserve it. We couldnt get through against their crap bullpen, but what can you say. Sometimes, that's just the way the cookie crumbles. Esp. when you're down in an early hole and swinging from your heels uncharacteristically at crap pitches.
ChickenBeckerman
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Nov 02, 2017 12:49 am    Post subject:

props to the Astros. Any way you cut it they were the better team in the most important games this series.

well deserved WS title.

We got alot out of the season as fans and the Dodgers will come back stronger next year.
4stargeneralbulldog
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Thu Nov 02, 2017 2:33 am    Post subject:

Japanese pitchers are only good for 3 years in the MLB because of the wear and tear in their arms once they come to MLB. Darvish, although only 31 is more like a 38 or 39 year old pitcher. Darvish, Nomo, Tanaka, Dice K, completely fell apart after 3 years.

As someone here said, should have traded for Verlander. This team was ready to win now! Huge mistake going for Darvish.
Steve007
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Nov 02, 2017 3:50 am    Post subject:

ChickenStu wrote:
^
But we were tied 2-2 in the Series and had Kershaw on the mound with a 4-0 lead, and then a 7-4 lead. It's really simplistic to say, but as good as he is, you have to love your chances under those circumstances. Losing Game 5 was a colossal blow. It wasn't an insurmountable blow, but if you win that game, it just changes what you have to accomplish in the final 2 games (duh).

I doubt we’ll agree and yeah the blown opportunities in games 2 and 5 are the biggest reason for the loss. My point is if I want to win a series and Darvish had an awful game 3 I like my chances better if it’s

Game 4: Kershaw (3 days rest)
Game 5: Wood
Game 6: Hill
Game 7: Kershaw (3 days rest)

Instead of

Game 4: Wood
Game 5: Kershaw (full rest)
Game 6: Hill
Game 7: Darvish (Kershaw on 2 days rest available in bullpen)

There is no series after this. You don’t have to worry about Kershaw running out of gas later in the playoffs. When the series goes to game 7 Kershaw has a huge edge over McCullers. Compare that to Darvish who doesn’t have a big edge over McCullers in this series.
Gimme_the_rock
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

Location: Looking outta the window, watching the asphalt grow ...

PostPosted: Thu Nov 02, 2017 6:10 am    Post subject:

jonnybravo wrote:
I am dead in inside.

The team collectively hit just over the Mendoza line and somehow took it to a game 7 and not only that, they should have won. Pitching-wise and plate approach-wise, they did to us what we'd been doing to other teams.
Aeneas Hunter
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Nov 02, 2017 6:49 am    Post subject:

aprevo15 wrote:
My friends from Houston texting me with trash talk. One said the Astros are the Golden State Warriors of MLB.

Eh, sports fans talk trash. We're going to get obliterated by free agency over the next few years. There's no way the Astros are going to commit to a gigantic payroll. Many of these guys will be Dodgers, Yankees, and Red Sox by 2020 or 2021. But that's okay. We finally got our title.

I'll give you one stat that will surprise a lot of you: Despite the perception that Minute Maid Park is a hitters' park, it is actually the lowest scoring environment in MLB. It is literally 30th out of 30. By comparison, Dodger Stadium was 17th out of 30 this year, though Dodger Stadium is usually lower. The only stadium that was close to Minute Maid this year was Petco. The Crawford Boxes give people the false impression that Minute Maid is a bandbox, but the reality is that most of the balls hit into the Crawford Boxes would be home runs anywhere due to the height.

Anyway, I regularly drive down Crawford Street on the way home from the cigar shop. The last few weeks have been a pain in the neck, as the cops blocked off Crawford Street for crowd control. Now life will return to normal. I may bring a cigar with me tonight.
governator
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Nov 02, 2017 7:22 am    Post subject:

https://www.si.com/mlb/2017/10/24/houston-astros-sports-illustrated-world-series-prediction
srm90
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Nov 02, 2017 8:33 am    Post subject:

I would almost prefer not to be in the playoffs every year and have to deal with these disappointments year after year after year.

Kershaw damaged his reputation greatly now after Game 5. We are known as the chokers of the league at this point. I'm just sick of it. I would've preferred to have not made it to the series than have gone out with a whimper in Game 7.

But sure enough I'll be back for more punishment next year.
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Nov 02, 2017 8:37 am    Post subject:

can't say im not proud of the guys for getting this far.. but it sucks to lose!

Several things hurt, watching Kersh not perform again, darvish getting lit, our bullpen being tired, failing to hit with RISP.. watching belly strike out time and time again to that inside low pitch.. fml.
lakersken80
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Nov 02, 2017 8:42 am    Post subject:

Sad reality is that is the 2017 Dodgers had the best regular season record in their entire history and couldn't come up in game 7....I know the feels of the 2016 Warriors fans. Honestly, I wouldn't mind if they made the playoffs as a wildcard one year and just kick ass. We won all those division titles and not once have we won the entire thing, feels like one big letdown.
Don Draper
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Nov 02, 2017 8:55 am    Post subject:

I am nowhere near a Dodgers fan but that was as (bleep) loss to witness. Feel sorry for ya'll. At least you have the Lakers.
K2
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Nov 02, 2017 9:01 am    Post subject:

^Feels like getting kicked in the head with an iron boot, it's been a crusher. Dodgers haven't had it easy in the World Series going back nearly 43 years especially in '74, '77, '78. Broke through and beat the Yankees in '81. Avenged that A's loss in '88.

Eventually, Dodgers will be back and when they win, it will be that much sweeter.
leor_77
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Nov 02, 2017 10:22 am    Post subject:

srm90 wrote:
I would almost prefer not to be in the playoffs every year and have to deal with these disappointments year after year after year.

Kershaw damaged his reputation greatly now after Game 5. We are known as the chokers of the league at this point. I'm just sick of it. I would've preferred to have not made it to the series than have gone out with a whimper in Game 7.

I thought about this many times. It seems way more enjoyable and less stressful when your team sucks. Usually, you're watching your young stars/prospects develop and get better. Playoffs are stress free.
leor_77
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Nov 02, 2017 10:23 am    Post subject:

For what it's worth, I recommend staying away from the media for a couple days. This will die down, and we can concentrate on the Lakers and football.
loslakersss
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Nov 02, 2017 10:33 am    Post subject:

leor_77 wrote:
srm90 wrote:

I thought about this many times. It seems way more enjoyable and less stressful when your team sucks. Usually, you're watching your young stars/prospects develop and get better. Playoffs are stress free.

The 2010 and 2011 Dodger teams were so much fun even though we sucked. Ethier and Kemp were beasts and had all those walk offs. Dee Gordon emerged as the most exciting baserunner and Kershaw finally developed into the best pitcher in baseball and won 20 games. Tickets were cheap so I went often and since we werent a playoff team their weren't bandwagon fans in the stands.

The heartache of all of those NLCS and NLDS losses right before and after those years sucked so bad. I will never forget. Especially when the Lakers and Dodgers blew Finals and NLCS game 4's in the same year.
lakersken80
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Nov 02, 2017 10:36 am    Post subject:

Puig's home got robbed yesterday when he was playing at the game, so his day got much worse.
oasisdude77
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Nov 02, 2017 10:39 am    Post subject:

leor_77 wrote:
srm90 wrote:

This thought also dawned on me. I was thinking before the game that if we lose, 'hey, we made it all the way to the end, the season's over tonight regardless.'

But man, this does hurt even more. It's the fact of getting all the way to the end, only needing one more victory to win the championship makes it hurt so much more.

With that being said, as mentioned above, I'll be right back here next year starting in March rooting my ass off for this team.

We will get over the hump eventually!
lakersken80
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Nov 02, 2017 10:39 am    Post subject:

Don Draper wrote:
I am nowhere near a Dodgers fan but that was as (bleep) loss to witness. Feel sorry for ya'll. At least you have the Lakers.

Feels a lot worst since the Dodgers haven't won a championship in ages, and we don't know if they will get back anytime soon considering the random nature of baseball playoffs not to mention the marathon of a regular season.
The Juggernaut
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Nov 02, 2017 11:08 am    Post subject:

That was one of the worst game 7 performances I have seen in a championship game in any sport. Darvish Yu with one of the ultimate choke jobs
LAkers 4 Life
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Nov 02, 2017 12:00 pm    Post subject:

venturalakersfan wrote:
Has parity hit MLB? Last year a team that hasn’t won in over 100 years wins and this year one who has never won.

That's a good question. There's always gonna be big market clubs that spend more than other clubs, but it looks to me more like player talent and especially development has increased tremendously.

The usage of analytics across all teams has greatly magnified a player's talent and decreased emphasis on their weaknesses. You look at the last few title teams, all of them had built up from the ashes of awful seasons. The core players are young stars practically right from the get go once they make the show.

Teams have even survived missteps in their drafting. Houston had the number one pick and completely botched his signing to the point where they lost another draft signing. I thought that mistake would've set them back at least two years but their development of position players more than made it up. So it wouldn't surprise me to see a team like St. Louis that got hit by the hacking scandal not lose a step from the penalty, as light as it was.
OCWA
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Nov 02, 2017 12:03 pm    Post subject:

Mason and Ireland and many other people are saying that Roberts left Darvish in too long or shouldn't have started him. I don't blame Roberts because Darvish is a quality starter and there is no way you can know that he is going to have his two worst major league outings back to back.

That being said. If Roberts did indeed stay with Darvish too long, I posit that the whole Gurriel racist incident influenced his decision making because he was too emotionally fixed on wanting Darvish to succeed because of the incident. Even Rich Hill changed his pitching pace when Gurriel was up just to allow fans more time to boo.

It's sad and infuriating but that racist gesture may have helped the Astros win.
srm90
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Nov 02, 2017 12:22 pm    Post subject:

OCWA wrote:
Mason and Ireland and many other people are saying that Roberts left Darvish in too long or shouldn't have started him. I don't blame Roberts because Darvish is a quality starter and there is no way you can know that he is going to have his two worst major league outings back to back.

That being said. If Roberts did indeed stay with Darvish too long, I posit that the whole Gurriel racist incident influenced his decision making because he was too emotionally fixed on wanting Darvish to succeed because of the incident. Even Rich Hill changed his pitching pace when Gurriel was up just to allow fans more time to boo.

It's sad and infuriating but that racist gesture may have helped the Astros win.

I don't have a problem with starting him. I have a problem with not having a short leash, on top of that not having any leash at all. After the 2nd run scored we should've had either Kershaw or Wood warming up. Then in the 2nd you see if Darvish can have an easy inning with no baserunners. Once he walked the leadoff man, that should've been it for him right there. No excuse to leave him in at that point. His stuff looked flat and he looked defeated out there. The fact that we didn't even start warming up someone after walking the leadoff man in the 2nd is a joke. If Darvish had had a solid Game 3 I would understand maybe thinking he can pitch himself out of it, but his Game 3 start was a disaster. And Game 7 was even worse. So there was no indication that that was even a possibility.

If we didn't spot 5 runs and we're looking at a 2 run deficit, maybe Seager and Bellinger (and everyone else for that matter) wouldn't have felt as much pressure and started swinging at everything.

The infuriating thing is that McCullers was even worse than Darvish. But the 5 run deficit had such an impact on our hitters that they were trying to swing for the fences. A lot of the blame goes on the hitters for that too but a 2 run game is so much easier on a team psychologically than a 5 run game.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Off Topic All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 339, 340, 341, 342  Next
Page 340 of 342
Jump to: