2018 Dodgers Thread
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, ... 332, 333, 334  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Off Topic This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Ziggy
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Nov 01, 2017 9:10 pm    Post subject:

Say bye to Yu Garbage. Get insulted and then completely fold under the pressure. As a competitor on the professional level how does that even happen? This is something I don't understand on a human level.
lakersken80
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Nov 01, 2017 9:15 pm    Post subject:

Ziggy wrote:
Say bye to Yu Garbage. Get insulted and then completely fold under the pressure. As a competitor on the professional level how does that even happen? This is something I don't understand on a human level.

Dodger fans are probably less forgiving than the clubhouse....although I think if he were to rebuild his reputation it might have to be on another team.
LonzoLegend2
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Wed Nov 01, 2017 9:20 pm    Post subject:

Urias has to deliver and become our #2 once he recovers. Buehler is another year away needs more polishing in the minors.
cisternachyli
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Nov 01, 2017 9:56 pm    Post subject:

Cutheon wrote:
I honestly feel like we'll be right back in the WS next year. But, the Indians probably did too, so...

As long as the Astros don't make it again, that's fine with me. (bleep) them and their (bleep) narratives.
jdm43390
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Nov 01, 2017 10:03 pm    Post subject:

There won't be another world series for a long time. Ultimate waste of a season. You clinched home field for game 7 for nothing. Disappointing
ChickenStu
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Nov 01, 2017 10:10 pm    Post subject:

LonzoLegend2 wrote:
Urias has to deliver and become our #2 once he recovers. Buehler is another year away needs more polishing in the minors.

There is no guarantee of anything regarding Urias in 2018. Maybe even after that. His surgery was very serious.

I'm sure I'll have way more to say about this as the winter months come, but I don't see the Dodgers doing much in free agency or in trades in terms of position player moves. They will probably go into next season thinking that Taylor is the center fielder (who has versatility, of course), thinking that Forsythe is the second baseman in the final year of his deal (his option will be picked up), and thinking that they will let left field sort itself out between Toles/Joc/Kike. They could certainly let Barnes be the regular catcher, and if so, it makes sense to move Grandal (in his final year of arbitration) to a catcher-needy team, and just getting whatever they can in return, whether that's prospects or a reliever or whatever. I also don't see how A-Gone returns, and no matter what the Dodgers said, the fact that he wasn't even in uniform on the bench for the playoffs (I mean, Granderson was in uniform on the bench for the World Series) means that something was going on behind the scenes. He'll either be released or traded to a team for virtually nothing (and where the Dodgers are paying almost all of his salary).

As for starting pitching and the relief market, the Dodgers will probably be active. I don't expect them to retain Darvish, and never did, quite frankly, even if he had gone out and been the World Series MVP. I don't see them being in on Arrieta, for the same reason that they passed on Greinke, who was their own guy.

Damn. It hurts just to talk about this right now, so I'm going to stop.
DrWolf
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Wed Nov 01, 2017 10:29 pm    Post subject:

well personally im hoping they are twice as hungry as they were in 2017, lets see what the front office does this winter

KOBE BRYANT
1978-2020
BLACK MAMBA RIP
2020 WORLD CHAMPION LAKERS!
2020 WORLD CHAMPION DODGERS!
lakersken80
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Nov 01, 2017 10:37 pm    Post subject:

jdm43390 wrote:
There won't be another world series for a long time. Ultimate waste of a season. You clinched home field for game 7 for nothing. Disappointing

Its just so hard to get to the World Series....lets face it unless you are organization like the Yankees, most franchises never sniff a World Series one time in a decade. The Angels, whom BTW used to have a thread on this forum, won one time and never got back to the big show since 2002. The season is a marathon and then you have to be lucky and good.
ChickenStu
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Nov 01, 2017 10:46 pm    Post subject:

lakersken80 wrote:
jdm43390 wrote:

Its just so hard to get to the World Series....lets face it unless you are organization like the Yankees, most franchises never sniff a World Series one time in a decade. The Angels, whom BTW used to have a thread on this forum, won one time and never got back to the big show since 2002. The season is a marathon and then you have to be lucky and good.

The Angels were a really strong team for the decade of the 2000's, won many division titles and were in the postseason almost every year, and memorably got jobbed by Doug Eddings against the White Sox in the ALCS in '05. They've certainly cooled down considerably this decade, with one outlier year where they won the most games in baseball (2014).

Anyway, the Dodgers are well-positioned to contend year after year, but making the Series is a really hard thing to do, yes.
rwongega
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Nov 01, 2017 10:53 pm    Post subject:

Last team to return to the World Series the year after losing one is the Kansas City Royals. They of course won the next one.

RIP Jonathan Tang
RIP Alex Gruenberg

Free KBCB
DuncanIdaho
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Nov 01, 2017 11:40 pm    Post subject:

rwongega wrote:
Last team to return to the World Series the year after losing one is the Kansas City Royals. They of course won the next one.

This team has the talent bro
rwongega
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Nov 02, 2017 12:27 am    Post subject:

DuncanIdaho wrote:
rwongega wrote:

On paper sure. But they looked defeated after the 2nd inning in the dugout and on the field. I dunno if the Fox cameras caught it all, but there was definite quit after Darvish's bad innings.

RIP Jonathan Tang
RIP Alex Gruenberg

Free KBCB
DuncanIdaho
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Nov 02, 2017 12:42 am    Post subject:

rwongega wrote:
DuncanIdaho wrote:
rwongega wrote:

On paper sure. But they looked defeated after the 2nd inning in the dugout and on the field. I dunno if the Fox cameras caught it all, but there was definite quit after Darvish's bad innings.

Easy answer: we don’t bring back Yu Choker
rwongega
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Nov 02, 2017 1:04 am    Post subject:

DuncanIdaho wrote:
rwongega wrote:
DuncanIdaho wrote:
rwongega wrote:

Easy answer: we don’t bring back Yu Choker

Which then goes into who do we replace him with. Especially since we spent so much to get him. No guarantee Alex Wood's brief pre-All Star performance can be continued, especially since he faltered hard late and doesn't seem like the kind of pitcher who can sustain that level of success. He's fine as a #3/4 guy and same for Rich Hill. Need a potent 1-2 punch.

RIP Jonathan Tang
RIP Alex Gruenberg

Free KBCB
Moses
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Nov 02, 2017 2:21 am    Post subject:

At least we will be getting A-Gon, Toles & Urias back for next year. I imagine they take a look at Verdugo in spring training too and he might be ready to come up as Granderson and Ethier are probably gone.

Call me crazy, but for a reasonable price I'd consider having Darvish back on a 1 year deal, with the knowledge that he was pretty decent in the regular season and there aren't many great alternatives out there, unless you like Arrieta. Hopefully Ryu or Urias could take his rotation spot if need be at playoff time.

Mamba Forever
The Marathon Continues
Still I Rise
4stargeneralbulldog
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Thu Nov 02, 2017 2:47 am    Post subject:

No re-signing of Darvish and get rid of Ryu and Maeda. Asian pitchers lose their effectiveness after 2-3 years in MLB due to the wear and tear that they accumulated in their homeland baseball league. Numbers and history doesn't lie when they come into MLB.

I wouldn't sign an Asian pitcher after 3 years of service in MLB. It's a colossal waste of money.
oasisdude77
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Nov 02, 2017 7:17 am    Post subject:

Sigh....I hate when this thread starts because it mean's our Dodger season is over.

Was a great 2017 season. Freakin' great season.

It'll be tough to replicate it record-wise, but I'm confident they can get back to the Fall Classic next year.

We have a super young team so we should be in good shape for many years to come.

Hope we bring just about everyone back. Would love to solidify our rotation, but not sure if there's anybody out there to be had.

Taylor and Puig seem to be locks for CF and RF.

Toles and Joc battle for left. Or do you trade Joc? His value would probably be super high right now.

Will Grandal be back? I literally forgot he was on the squad in the playoffs (which was a good thing as far as I'm concerned).

March can't come soon enough...
Shaolin's Finest
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Nov 02, 2017 7:41 am    Post subject:

oasisdude77 wrote:

Toles and Joc battle for left. Or do you trade Joc? His value would probably be super high right now.

I'm not a big baseball guy, so apologies if this is a dumb question, but why wouldn't Joc get the nod in LF after the World Series he's had? Could've easily been in the running for Series MVP had we won.

I'm a bit worried about the pitching going forward, Yu probably won't be back after his terrible showing. Beyond that, we have Kershaw who will be one year older, an aging Rich Hill, and Alex Wood who some believe is not yet a proven commodity. Seems like we may be in the running for another starter.
loslakersss
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Nov 02, 2017 7:49 am    Post subject:

Do we go after Arrietta?
Gatekeeper
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Nov 02, 2017 8:07 am    Post subject:

loslakersss wrote:
Do we go after Arrietta?

100% yes. When you have that opportunity to add a proven ace to your lineup, you don't hesitate.
srm90
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Nov 02, 2017 8:25 am    Post subject:

Shaolin's Finest wrote:
oasisdude77 wrote:

I'm not a big baseball guy, so apologies if this is a dumb question, but why wouldn't Joc get the nod in LF after the World Series he's had? Could've easily been in the running for Series MVP had we won.

I'm a bit worried about the pitching going forward, Yu probably won't be back after his terrible showing. Beyond that, we have Kershaw who will be one year older, an aging Rich Hill, and Alex Wood who some believe is not yet a proven commodity. Seems like we may be in the running for another starter.

Joc was below replacement level defensively and awful at the plate this season. One great series is not going to change that. Any player can have a great series. Look at David Freese for example. Toles was doing great at the leadoff spot and in left field before he tore his ACL. Hopefully he can come back strong.

Joc will have to show a new approach that's sustained for an entire season for me to feel good about him going forward. He had a great first half rookie year and has been on a downward spiral ever since. I don't see him being an everyday player until he proves he can be consistent.

I'm not worried about the pitching too much. Buehler may be in the rotation mix next year. Urias might be able to come back midseason. Kershaw should still be a solid #1. Hill should be decent. Wood may regress back to the mean but he's always had a trajectory towards being a solid mid-rotation guy. Ryu if he can stay healthy should be good at the back of the rotation. I would consider keeping Maeda in the bullpen if he will accept that role. We do need that power righty to fill the Greinke role though. Darvish failed miserably at that.
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Nov 02, 2017 11:30 am    Post subject:

The best news for the Dodgers this offseason is that Shohei Otani might not be a free agent until next offseason. That would give the Dodgers time to decide if he's gonna be the big free agent they spend their money on as soon as more deadweight is off the books.

https://www.fanragsports.com/heyman-mlb-future-for-shohei-otani-hits-possible-snag/
LAkers 4 Life
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Nov 02, 2017 12:43 pm    Post subject:

A lot of things went right for the Dodgers this season to even get to the World Series as Wood, Taylor, Bellinger, Puig, Barnes and Morrow played well above pre-season expectations. You can't expect that type of production from players that had career years the following season. The same question marks that have marred the team for years in the postseason is still gonna be around: starting pitching rotation, bullpen, and offense in clutch situations.

Ultimately it's all on the front office. They've made some moves that have worked out in their favor, but they've made a few too many miscalculations because they weren't willing to truly go all in for a World Series title run, i.e. go big or go home. Chicago did that in 2016 with the Chapman trade and Houston did it in the Verlander trade. The middling expensive deals for McCarthy, Anderson and Kazmir didn't move the needle. They were lucky that they didn't lose a draft pick for compensation for the terrible idea of signing Iwakuma and getting a team-friendly deal with Maeda. At the time of the deal, it seemed on paper to be a good trade for Darvish. I wasn't very bullish on the trade since Verlander was a better overall fit short term, long term and health-wise. Seeing what Detroit got for Verlander, they should have been more aggressive getting Justin, or at the very least, make a claim on him through waivers. There was no way Detroit was gonna let him go without a trade and it would have prevented him from being traded to any other team. And to ultimately have a guy like Verlander for just $20 million for a couple of seasons is much more preferable than having to spend even more money to sign a guy that's not at his level.
loslakersss
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Nov 02, 2017 12:51 pm    Post subject:

If we had Ryu instead of Darvish we might've won. When we didn't get JV we should have just not messed with the chemistry (I'm looking at you, Granderson).
lakersken80
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Nov 02, 2017 12:58 pm    Post subject:

loslakersss wrote:
If we had Ryu instead of Darvish we might've won. When we didn't get JV we should have just not messed with the chemistry (I'm looking at you, Granderson).

Ryu might have gone 4-5 innings, which is a huge improvement and gave our bullpen some more rest. So yes, Darvish was hugely underwhelming, but a lot of bad things came into play as well, like some of our best hitters going into a slump, our bullpen failing to close it out games because they were overused, etc.
The two longest innings for Dodgers starting pitchers were in game 1, Kershaw 7 innings and Alex Wood in game 4 going 5 2/3 innings.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Off Topic All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, ... 332, 333, 334  Next
Page 2 of 334
Jump to: