2018 Dodgers Thread
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 332, 333, 334  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Off Topic This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.
View previous topic :: View next topic  
LAkers 4 Life
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Nov 02, 2017 1:05 pm    Post subject:

loslakersss wrote:
If we had Ryu instead of Darvish we might've won. When we didn't get JV we should have just not messed with the chemistry (I'm looking at you, Granderson).

I can understand the logic behind all of the front office moves, but like I've maintained for a while, none of them truly moved the needle in my opinion.

Granderson is an example of trying to buy low. Fields is another example of trying to buying low. I'm more concerned about losing the prospects that they gave up in those deals. I was real high on Yordan Alvarez as a lottery ticket prospect and it's looking like he can develop into Houston's future 1st base replacement for the racist. Jacob Rhame looked to be a future solid right-handed reliever, especially with that low walk rate. Even Darvish was just meh. He's a pure rental guy that had Tommy John a couple years ago that cost prospects that should've been used in the Justin Verlander deal along with at least another top prospect.

And then there's the roster imbalance. The '90s Dodger teams were known to be right-hand dominant. Now they're very left-hand dominant. They need to find a good balance.
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Nov 02, 2017 1:53 pm    Post subject:

Vegas futures Dodgers are favorites to win the world series at 11/2. Astros 2nd at 7/1.
Steve007
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Nov 02, 2017 2:51 pm    Post subject:

Hard to see Darvish staying, but here’s one explanation for his struggles. When Beltran was asked if Darvish was tipping pitches, wow at his reaction.

https://mobile.twitter.com/jeffpearlman/status/925962740971192321?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw&ref_url=https%3A%2F%2Fforumserver.twoplustwo.com%2F46%2Fsporting-events%2Fmlb-world-series-2017-astros-vs-dodgers-1693455%2Findex80.html
Steve007
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Nov 02, 2017 2:58 pm    Post subject:

And here is video evidence of him tipping pitches. I had to watch it a few times to catch it. But it became obvious after a while. I noticed the movement in his glove before he threw his slider. His glove was still when he threw the fastball.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.businessinsider.com/yu-darvish-tipping-pitches-world-series-loss-2017-11
DrWolf
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Thu Nov 02, 2017 4:17 pm    Post subject:

Steve007 wrote:
Hard to see Darvish staying, but here’s one explanation for his struggles. When Beltran was asked if Darvish was tipping pitches, wow at his reaction.

https://mobile.twitter.com/jeffpearlman/status/925962740971192321?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw&ref_url=https%3A%2F%2Fforumserver.twoplustwo.com%2F46%2Fsporting-events%2Fmlb-world-series-2017-astros-vs-dodgers-1693455%2Findex80.html

Darvish is as good as gone, 2 starts, 21.xx ERA blowing chances to give your team a commanding lead in the series and to win the series? I mean if i were ANY MLB i would give him a heavily discounted contracted and at least give him 2 more chances to start a game to redeem himself (i give him some leniency but not a whole lot)

I really think that we werent mean to win the 17 WS, i mean jansens blown save, yu's implosion (2 times), kershaws return to playoff disaster mode, the burn out bullpen, nothing worked in our favor other than that game 1. No team is perfect in the WS, but seriously?

KOBE BRYANT
1978-2020
BLACK MAMBA RIP
2020 WORLD CHAMPION LAKERS!
2020 WORLD CHAMPION DODGERS!
srm90
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Nov 02, 2017 4:37 pm    Post subject:

I think the Rangers might end up bringing Darvish back. Otherwise I'm not sure who's going to get him. It's not gonna be us, and I doubt any of the other big market teams will touch him (i.e. Cubs, Yanks, Sox, etc.)
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Nov 02, 2017 4:53 pm    Post subject:

srm90 wrote:
I think the Rangers might end up bringing Darvish back. Otherwise I'm not sure who's going to get him. It's not gonna be us, and I doubt any of the other big market teams will touch him (i.e. Cubs, Yanks, Sox, etc.)

Giants or Seattle could take a shot on him.
LAkers 4 Life
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Nov 02, 2017 5:39 pm    Post subject:

LakerLanny wrote:
srm90 wrote:

Ironically the giants have been trying to spend their way in free agency to a contending team, certainly moreso than the Dodgers. I could see Seattle signing him because of familiarity with the division and they dumped Iwakuma.
ChickenStu
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Nov 02, 2017 5:59 pm    Post subject:

MLB Trade Rumors is predicting that Darvish signs a 6 year, $160MM deal (!!) with the Cubs. They have him as the top free agent on the market. Their #2 free agent, JD Martinez, is projected to get 6 years and $150MM from the Red Sox. Here's their list of the top 50 free agents, with predictions of contracts and where each guy will end up. Obviously, predicting each player's landing spot is an exceedingly difficult exercise, but the site has been pretty good with the contract predictions, for the most part.

https://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2017/11/2017-18-top-50-mlb-free-agents-with-predictions.html
rwongega
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Nov 02, 2017 6:06 pm    Post subject:

ChickenStu wrote:
MLB Trade Rumors is predicting that Darvish signs a 6 year, $160MM deal (!!) with the Cubs. They have him as the top free agent on the market. Their #2 free agent, JD Martinez, is projected to get 6 years and $150MM from the Red Sox. Here's their list of the top 50 free agents, with predictions of contracts and where each guy will end up. Obviously, predicting each player's landing spot is an exceedingly difficult exercise, but the site has been pretty good with the contract predictions, for the most part.

https://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2017/11/2017-18-top-50-mlb-free-agents-with-predictions.html

I certainly hope we can keep Morrow. We have to end up with a #2 guy though.

RIP Jonathan Tang
RIP Alex Gruenberg

Free KBCB
Gatekeeper
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Nov 02, 2017 6:08 pm    Post subject:

ChickenStu wrote:

Would be quite funny if we ended up with Arrieta and they got Darvish.
srm90
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Nov 02, 2017 6:17 pm    Post subject:

LakerLanny wrote:
srm90 wrote:

I will laugh so hard if the Giants sign him.
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Nov 02, 2017 6:17 pm    Post subject:

Gatekeeper wrote:
ChickenStu wrote:

Arrieta might be 32, but he's a bulldog. If his price does come down to around 4 years and $100MM, I would much prefer that to re-signing Darvish, especially if he costs what MLB Trade Rumors thinks. They have Morrow getting 3 years and $24MM, and that does sound about right to me, if he wants to milk every last dollar of his market value.
Gatekeeper
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Nov 02, 2017 6:24 pm    Post subject:

ChickenStu wrote:
Gatekeeper wrote:
ChickenStu wrote:

Arrieta might be 32, but he's a bulldog. If his price does come down to around 4 years and $100MM, I would much prefer that to re-signing Darvish, especially if he costs what MLB Trade Rumors thinks. They have Morrow getting 3 years and $24MM, and that does sound about right to me, if he wants to milk every last dollar of his market value.

I also want to add another big bat; Stanton would be the preferred choice. If not, the Rockies are open to trading Blackmon this offseason as well (free agent in 2018).
ChickenStu
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Nov 02, 2017 6:29 pm    Post subject:

Gatekeeper wrote:
ChickenStu wrote:
Gatekeeper wrote:
ChickenStu wrote:

I also want to add another big bat; Stanton would be the preferred choice. If not, the Rockies are open to trading Blackmon this offseason (free agent in 2018) [6.5 WAR/ wRC+ (117)/ .331 with 37 home runs and 104 RBI, had an OPS of 1.000 and scored 137 runs].

The Rockies would be taking a big risk trading him to a division rival, particularly since they are trying to contend. If they were the Padres, then I'd get it.

I'd also like to add that I want no part of that massive Stanton contract. His next injury is just around the corner, and the contract is just too long and burdensome.
LakerLanny
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Nov 02, 2017 6:36 pm    Post subject:

I agree with Chicken Stu as usual. I would not want Stanton's contract, Blackmon would be a great add at the right price, which I am sure will still be high.
Gatekeeper
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Nov 02, 2017 6:47 pm    Post subject:

ChickenStu wrote:
Gatekeeper wrote:
ChickenStu wrote:
Gatekeeper wrote:
ChickenStu wrote:

I also want to add another big bat; Stanton would be the preferred choice. If not, the Rockies are open to trading Blackmon this offseason (free agent in 2018) [6.5 WAR/ wRC+ (117)/ .331 with 37 home runs and 104 RBI, had an OPS of 1.000 and scored 137 runs].

The Rockies would be taking a big risk trading him to a division rival, particularly since they are trying to contend. If they were the Padres, then I'd get it.

I'd also like to add that I want no part of that massive Stanton contract. His next injury is just around the corner, and the contract is just too long and burdensome.

I get that it's a loaded contract, but Dodgers are one of a small number of teams that have the wherewithal to pay $295M over the next 10 years. Windows to win the WS are tight, and the front office probably feels that it needs to be aggressive this offseason to acquire personnel that puts the team over the top. This postseason has shown that teams going far into the playoffs have power and Stanton is the best out there.
ChickenStu
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Nov 02, 2017 6:54 pm    Post subject:

^
I just don't see this ownership going for that kind of contract. They want to set the team up to try to contend year-after-year, and that kind of a Pujols-ian deal can be a killer. I just don't see them doing it, and I can understand why.
Gatekeeper
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Nov 02, 2017 7:05 pm    Post subject:

ChickenStu wrote:
^
I just don't see this ownership going for that kind of contract. They want to set the team up to try to contend year-after-year, and that kind of a Pujols-ian deal can be a killer. I just don't see them doing it, and I can understand why.

(If I play devil's advocate) - Pujols was already in his 30s (32) when Angels signed him; they still have 3 seasons remaining @ $29M per. Stanton's contract is up when he's at Albert's age right atm.
DuncanIdaho
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Nov 03, 2017 11:05 am    Post subject:

Quote:
Zaidi On Replacing Kapler

Dodgers general manager Farhan Zaidi tells J.P. Hoornstra of the Southern California News Group that Gabe Kapler’s departure to become the Phillies’ new manager now leaves the Dodgers with the onerous task of finding a new person to fill the “toughest job in baseball.” Kapler spent three years as the Dodgers’ director of player development/farm director, and Hoornstra notes that the new ideas he brought to the table have helped the lay the foundation for the team’s current run of success. “You’ve got to be able to relate to a lot of different factions and constituents between the front office, the major league club, major league manager, coaches, players throughout the system, affiliates, minor league players, minor league coaches,” said Zaidi of the unique challenges the role presents. Per Zaidi, the team will be casting a “wide-open net,” and the search could take a few weeks. Hoornstra points out that Jeremy Zoll, Kapler’s top assistant who could have been a leading internal candidate, has already been scooped up by the Twins to serve as their farm director in 2018 and beyond.

https://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2017/11/nl-west-notes-dodgers-stairs-giants.html
loslakersss
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Nov 03, 2017 11:11 am    Post subject:

Losing Honeycutt will suck too
LAkers 4 Life
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Nov 03, 2017 12:50 pm    Post subject:

Dodgers have a lot of very big decisions to make this offseason as it will affect not just this coming season, but how they approach the big free agent class the following offseason. I get the feeling they will make a bunch of minor moves or see if anyone will just take one-year deals.

Next season will be a lot tougher than this season to win the World Series for the team. Some of the NL teams that did not make it to the World Series look to be in a better prime position than the Dodgers to make it right now. All the NL West teams will be a lot tougher to play against including the awful giants. The cubs have some decisions to make, but the core remains intact and they have some valuable trading pieces on their roster that they can use to fill holes. The nationals hope to have Adam Eaton healthy for the whole season, and he was playing at an elite level before his injury. That and their strong pitching staff and dangerous hitters will make them tough to beat. The cards are a dangerous under the radar team with very few free agents to replace. Dodgers sure could have used Nicasio on the roster, a player that they had just a couple seasons ago.
rwongega
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Nov 03, 2017 3:27 pm    Post subject:

loslakersss wrote:
Losing Honeycutt will suck too

Losing Honeycutt will be worse than the sabermoron FO losing their yes man.

RIP Jonathan Tang
RIP Alex Gruenberg

Free KBCB
DuncanIdaho
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Nov 03, 2017 3:32 pm    Post subject:

There's been a lot of pitching coaches retiring or quitting this offseason. Cubs and Giants both lost theirs as well.

If Honey moves into the front office the blow will be lessened.
DuncanIdaho
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Nov 03, 2017 3:35 pm    Post subject:

Quote:
Those who will continue to perpetuate the playoff-failure narrative for Kershaw will point to the fact that the Dodgers never led in Game 7 and that, therefore, Kershaw wasn’t forced to contend with real pressure. Those innings are viewed by some as virtually meaningless; they featured, in sabermetric parlance, a low leverage. This is undeniably true: Kershaw’s average leverage index for the game was just 0.2. Average is 1.0. The highest leverage index he faced was 0.39 (bases loaded in the 6th inning with two outs), but even that was inflated somewhat by Kershaw’s back-to-back intentional walks. Indeed, Kershaw didn’t face a situation that was critical to the outcome of the game.

However, every pitch Kershaw threw was ultimately critical to keeping the Dodgers’ season alive. If he’d imploded at any point — allowing a hit to Maybin, for example, or serving up a homer to Altuve, or getting nickled-and-dimed to death by singles and walks — the Dodgers’ season would essentially have been over. Even in those low-leverage innings, Kershaw managed to add 0.038 win probability to his team, the best performance on the year by a reliever in similar circumstances (down five-plus runs, less than 10% chance of winning) on the year. Kershaw’s back was against the wall on every pitch, keeping the Dodgers’ hopes alive, even if the outcome of the game had already been long trending towards an Astros win.

Kershaw was great Wednesday night. Kershaw has been great before. He’ll likely continue to be great going forward. Ultimately, this performance is likely to be forgotten — both in both baseball history and in Kershaw’s own personal playoff narrative — but it shouldn’t be. He didn’t start the game, and the fact that pieces are being written on the topic should indicate how impressive his performance was and how he would be trusted by many on big stages. There was a lack of crucial moments while Kershaw was on the mound, leaving nothing necessarily memorable to place in Kershaw’s postseason file. The Dodgers didn’t win on Wednesday, and as Winston Churchill reminded us, history is written by (and about) the victors. Finally, this performance doesn’t fit the narrative that people have come to believe about Kershaw. As such, it’s convenient to ignore — ignore, that is, unless Kershaw dominates the playoffs going forward, at which point this game will become the one where Kershaw turned it all around.

https://www.fangraphs.com/blogs/kershaws-forgotten-chapter/
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Off Topic All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 332, 333, 334  Next
Page 3 of 334
Jump to: