OFFICIAL GARY LANCE JR THREAD - traded :(
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 194, 195, 196 ... 219, 220, 221  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> General Basketball Discussion Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
LakerSD
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Nov 03, 2017 9:12 am    Post subject:

adkindo wrote:
Luke's quote....

Quote:
"Obviously he fractured his hand. I have no idea how long that takes," Walton said. "When we get all that information, we will sit down. ... I have always been a believer that it's not just the next best player. How does it affect second units? How does that affect the starting unit, and what we are trying to do? There are a lot of variables to decide between, so we will figure that out in the next day."

sounds to me like Deng will be starting

It will be Deng because Luke is obsessed with the 2 units thing. He did the same thing last season.
epak
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Nov 03, 2017 9:13 am    Post subject:

LakerSD wrote:
adkindo wrote:
Luke's quote....

Quote:
"Obviously he fractured his hand. I have no idea how long that takes," Walton said. "When we get all that information, we will sit down. ... I have always been a believer that it's not just the next best player. How does it affect second units? How does that affect the starting unit, and what we are trying to do? There are a lot of variables to decide between, so we will figure that out in the next day."

It will be Deng because Luke is obsessed with the 2 units thing. He did the same thing last season.

I'm hyped for Deng at the PF spot
LakerSD
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Nov 03, 2017 9:15 am    Post subject:

epak wrote:
LakerSD wrote:
adkindo wrote:
Luke's quote....

Quote:

maybe it will work. I’m more of a “play your best” type guy and so I would prefer Randle or Kuzma but hey Luke is the coach.
Mini Mamba
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Nov 03, 2017 9:22 am    Post subject:

I don’t mind Deng starting as he won’t play as many minutes as Nance did and Randle and Kuzma will get more playing time.
epak
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Nov 03, 2017 9:24 am    Post subject:

LakerSD wrote:
epak wrote:
LakerSD wrote:
adkindo wrote:
Luke's quote....

Quote:

maybe it will work. I’m more of a “play your best” type guy and so I would prefer Randle or Kuzma but hey Luke is the coach.

Cmon guys. Deng was on the +7.1 net rating lineup last year!
Btw: did Deng play PF at all last year?
iimarshon
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Nov 03, 2017 9:26 am    Post subject:

Im fine w Deng at the PF.

He's wayyyyyy more valuable at that spot to us then at the SF spot.

Id still like to see Kuzma start but if he doesn't then I hope he's playing 30+ minutes a game and closing games still.
tox
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Nov 03, 2017 11:38 am    Post subject:

epak wrote:
LakerSD wrote:
epak wrote:
LakerSD wrote:
adkindo wrote:
Luke's quote....

Quote:

Cmon guys. Deng was on the +7.1 net rating lineup last year!
Btw: did Deng play PF at all last year?

Yeah, he played with Ingram for some minutes where he was the nominal 4.
Laker's Fan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Nov 03, 2017 11:49 am    Post subject:

LakerSD wrote:
epak wrote:
LakerSD wrote:
adkindo wrote:
Luke's quote....

Quote:

I've been more of a unit person myself. It helps players operate better in a team concept where they have familiarity and better communication. Thing is, you want four or five units which give you flexibility with lots of player combinations with their own strengths, weaknesses and primary play sets.

You have to build up to that though. The styles and plays shouldn't be night and day either which was the issue with last year's team. It's a little more overlapping this year which is good.
70sdude
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Nov 03, 2017 12:02 pm    Post subject:

Well, no team goes a whole season untouched by a significant injury. The unfortunate part here is the extent to which Nance getting sidelined for two months (with an implied delay in return to form as well) is going to delay the desired main unit's development.

With Lopez healthy and in the main unit, Deng gets the nod, and Randle will continue to be consigned to the second team for the good of each unit's overall balance, all aspects of play considered. Will Luke experiment to see whether Lopez and Randle can play together for the good of the main unit as well as each can affect both units separately ? It feels like no, having other options at hand for the moment.
MJST
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Nov 03, 2017 12:55 pm    Post subject:

LakerSD wrote:
adkindo wrote:
Luke's quote....

Quote:

And it didn't work then either. This is why we need assistants with actual basketball X's and O's knowledge to reel in Luke on his obsessions and point out how it holds the team back.
rogers49
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Nov 03, 2017 1:22 pm    Post subject:

epak wrote:
LakerSD wrote:
adkindo wrote:
Luke's quote....

Quote:

It'll be a miracle greater than the opening of the Red Sea getting Deng play well.
Dr. Funkbot
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Nov 03, 2017 1:53 pm    Post subject:

Man he should just tape that broken finger up to his index finger and play tonight. That's what Kobe would do!
P.K.
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Nov 03, 2017 2:29 pm    Post subject:

Dr. Funkbot wrote:
Man he should just tape that broken finger up to his index finger and play tonight. That's what Kobe would do!

Kobe actually broke his finger
Nance reportedly broke the 2nd metacarpal, which is the bone in your hand below the index finger itself. Can't tape that up. If that fracture is displace, one of the common ways to set it straight is a plate inside the back of the hand with screws into the bones
NPZ's Magic Johnson mix: www.youtube.com/watch?v=q8Qbo0WqvOI
TheBlackMamba
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Nov 03, 2017 2:56 pm    Post subject:

4-6 weeks, per Woj. Not bad at all, given the initial prognosis...back before Christmas.

http://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/21277385/larry-nance-jr-los-angeles-lakers-expected-miss-4-6-weeks-fracturing-left-hand
epak
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Nov 03, 2017 3:03 pm    Post subject:

TheBlackMamba wrote:
4-6 weeks, per Woj. Not bad at all, given the initial prognosis...back before Christmas.

http://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/21277385/larry-nance-jr-los-angeles-lakers-expected-miss-4-6-weeks-fracturing-left-hand

Thank goodness
Laker's Fan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Nov 03, 2017 4:24 pm    Post subject:

Can't question Larry's dedication. Gets things taken care of the very next day. As the son of a former NBA All-Star he could have been an entitled type. Anything but.
tox
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Nov 03, 2017 4:26 pm    Post subject:

I'd prefer Kuz starting (and Deng playing backup 4), but I actually understand Luke's thinking.
Shaber
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Nov 04, 2017 5:58 am    Post subject:

TheBlackMamba wrote:

Great! Now please somebody fix the name of the thread. I nearly had a heart attack.

Lakers depth chart

PG Johnson / Goodrich
SG Bryant / West / Scott
SF Baylor / Worthy / Cooper
PF Mikkelsen / Hairston / McAdoo / Gasol
C Chamberlain / Abdul-Jabbar / O'Neal / Mikan
Chronicle
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Nov 04, 2017 6:54 am    Post subject:

Shaber wrote:
TheBlackMamba wrote:

Great! Now please somebody fix the name of the thread. I nearly had a heart attack.

my bad
Shaber
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Nov 04, 2017 11:12 am    Post subject:

Hands are tricky though.

My son is due a surgery which would involve total dismantling of his hand. And he didn't really broke anything there.
For Nance's sake, I hope broken bones heal better.

Lakers depth chart

PG Johnson / Goodrich
SG Bryant / West / Scott
SF Baylor / Worthy / Cooper
PF Mikkelsen / Hairston / McAdoo / Gasol
C Chamberlain / Abdul-Jabbar / O'Neal / Mikan
AFireInside619
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Nov 04, 2017 12:27 pm    Post subject:

Is it selfish of me to hope Larry's next Lakers contract would be similar to Curry's rookie extension? One where we can argue that he has a history of injuries then he grossly outplays that contract the next 4 years? Because the truth is, he's the type of player who would look great next to two max players.
tox
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Nov 04, 2017 12:29 pm    Post subject:

AFireInside619 wrote:
Is it selfish of me to hope Larry's next Lakers contract would be similar to Curry's rookie extension? One where we can argue that he has a history of injuries then he grossly outplays that contract the next 4 years? Because the truth is, he's the type of player who would look great next to two max players.

I don't think he's the kind of player who's going to get paid a lot in free agency anyways. I think the Lakers lock him up in an extension at a good market deal.
Laker's Fan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Nov 04, 2017 12:59 pm    Post subject:

tox wrote:
AFireInside619 wrote:

I don't think he's the kind of player who's going to get paid a lot in free agency anyways. I think the Lakers lock him up in an extension at a good market deal.

Not that overpaying ever helps a team build its roster but at the point an extension comes into play for Nance it's unlikely LA will be a cap room team. Whether or not one believes in LAs ability to execute the 2Max plan, now that contracts are adjusting to the new revenue levels there isn't going to be this crazy amount of space in the market. That will be offset by shorter contract (creating more space) but also more free agents.

The free agent market in the back half of this CBA is going to look a lot like the free agent market in the back half of the last CBA.
tox
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Nov 04, 2017 1:03 pm    Post subject:

Laker's Fan wrote:
tox wrote:
AFireInside619 wrote:

Not that overpaying ever helps a team build its roster but at the point an extension comes into play for Nance it's unlikely LA will be a cap room team. Whether or not one believes in LAs ability to execute the 2Max plan, now that contracts are adjusting to the new revenue levels there isn't going to be this crazy amount of space in the market. That will be offset by shorter contract (creating more space) but also more free agents.

The free agent market in the back half of this CBA is going to look a lot like the free agent market in the back half of the last CBA.

I think the Spurs and Warriors in recent years (LMA, KD to very good teams) have shown that even when you're at the salary cap, you should still be prudent with the contracts you give off. Let's say in 2020 AD chooses to come to the Lakers. Clearing up the ~$35M will be a lot easier if you're paying Nance $6M instead of overpaying him at $15M, obviously.

BTW one of the hidden assumptions in my post is that the Lakers will extend Nance instead of keeping his tiny cap hold in 2019 FA. If the Lakers strike out in free agency in 2018, I'm not sure they extend Nance. Maybe if it's on favorable enough terms.
tgi_friyay
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Sat Nov 04, 2017 8:21 pm    Post subject:

governator wrote:
Dr. Funkbot wrote:
pio2u wrote:
Larry Nance Jr. Shooting For First Team All-Defense

Quote:
“One thing that I’ve always been hanging my hat on is defense, but I really want to take that next step and be in the First-Team All-Defense talks. I absolutely have the ability to do so. It takes a lot of hard work and a lot of effort…that’s what I would love to see, so I’m checking after every game to see leaderboards and where I stack up on steals and blocks and that kinda stuff. Taking every guy I match up with really seriously because that’s what that type of player does.

http://www.lakersnation.com/lakers-news-larry-nance-jr-shooting-for-first-team-all-defense/2017/11/02/

I think that Nance is super underrated here on the board. He is getting double doubles and playing good D. His attitude on the defensive end is contagious to the rest of the team.

He's not underrated. I think a lot of people feel that this double-double with strong D is Nance's ceiling or close to his ceiling. Also we're comparing Nance to Randle who a lot of people feel that hasn't reach his ceiling yet

He definitely is underrated by loads of people on here.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> General Basketball Discussion All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 194, 195, 196 ... 219, 220, 221  Next
Page 195 of 221
Jump to: