Chess Thread
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
non-player zealot
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Oct 14, 2017 5:52 am    Post subject:

angrypuppy wrote:
The key in chess is to set up combinations; moves that "force" your opponent to react to your threat. The combinations themselves are a series of moves that threaten or execute the double attacks, pins, skewers, etc. The use of combinations also aids the chess player to "look ahead" further moves. The chess player with the brains to see and plot more combinations (a tree structure of moves and counter moves rather than a linear sequence) than his opponent should win, unless of course he blunders.

That's where the novice should begin after learning basic attacks.

Later you may wish to learn some chess openings. The objective of the opening is to gain control of the middle of the chess board, which is strategically the most important. You also need to learn openings if you are to ever engage in tournament play, unless you love to be caught unprepared and enjoy watching your precious minutes tick away before you even have a chance to engage in the middle game, which is where most of your time will be burned.

Personally, I hate the game.

A tangent, but it was surmised in a Bobby Fischer docu that his lifelong hellbent obsession about chess and winning most likely stunted his social skills and/or harmed his psyche in some way(s). Unfortunately, he steadily evolved from a prickly pear to a full blown nut towards the end of his life. Dan Gable, GOAT wrestler, had a similar fixation on his game/sport and winning at all costs or you're an utter failure. His obsessing over losses reminded me of Jerry West. He felt he had to win to make his parents not feel the effects of his older sister being sexually assaulted and murdered in their own home while they were away on a trip. Personalities like theirs are interesting to me, the idea that they have to be loners and put everything aside to focus on the one thing. Wins are merely "loss-restrainers", not feel-good events.
ryan_c
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Oct 15, 2017 5:40 pm    Post subject:

Huey Lewis & The News wrote:
ryan_c wrote:
13 checkmates that you must Know.

https://www.chess.com/forum/view/general/13-checkmates-you-must-know

Ryan you got any videos of yourself playing?

I play at tournaments, but i don't have any videos.
ryan_c
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Oct 15, 2017 11:57 pm    Post subject:

governator wrote:

Just did the same, my new subway thing

Personally i don't like playing against a computer/app. I prefer playing over the board or online against human opponents.
ryan_c
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Nov 04, 2017 2:04 pm    Post subject:

Garry Kasparov "sacrifices" both bishops

ryan_c
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Apr 14, 2018 1:11 pm    Post subject:

Top 8 Chess Mistakes

ryan_c
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Apr 20, 2018 7:48 pm    Post subject:

Chess Stratagies- Trading Part 1

The above basic video are very instructive. Many new players do not know the proper trades.
ryan_c
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Jul 01, 2018 4:55 am    Post subject:

ChessNetwork is good at explaining.

Capablanca teaches Tartakower about king & rook synergy

ryan_c
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Jul 06, 2018 5:06 pm    Post subject:

Tal Creates Absolute Madness on the Board!

ryan_c
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Jul 20, 2018 9:24 pm    Post subject:

Supposed to be you are clueless about chess, lichess has a nice interactive lessons on how to play it.

https://lichess.org/learn#/

Supposed to be you you are a beginner that only know the rules, here are interactive lessons that will improve you.

https://lichess.org/practice
ryan_c
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Oct 31, 2018 1:29 am    Post subject:

U.S. great hope Fabiano Caruana preps for clash with Magnus Carlsen

Quote:
We’ve been tracking his progress in this space since he was a 14-year-old IM phenom from Brooklyn, winning D.C.’s own Eastern Open more than a decade ago.

Now GM Fabiano Caruana has a chance to match another phenom out of Brooklyn, Bobby Fischer, as he prepares to take on world champion Magnus Carlsen of Norway in a 12-game title match in London. Game 1 takes place Nov. 9, and we’ll have all the action here and at WashingtonTimes.com.

Should the mild-mannered, tough-willed Caruana, now 26, prevail, he will be the first American world champion since Fischer relinquished the title in 1975 and likely will provide yet another boost for the surging American chess scene.

The relentless Norwegian holds a 10-5-18 edge over his challenger in games at classical time controls, but the two have been more evenly matched in recent years, with Caruana just a few ratings points below his 27-year-old rival. If I were a betting man, I’d put this one at too close to call.

https://www.washingtontimes.com/news/2018/oct/30/us-great-hope-fabiano-caruana-preps-clash-magnus-c/
non-player zealot
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Oct 31, 2018 5:42 pm    Post subject:

Heads up, the current episode of Real Sports on HBO has a segment about chess and its Renaissance in the US. Episode was good on the whole.
ryan_c
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2018 4:00 pm    Post subject:

non-player zealot wrote:
Heads up, the current episode of Real Sports on HBO has a segment about chess and its Renaissance in the US. Episode was good on the whole.

Do you have a video link?
ryan_c
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Dec 26, 2018 10:07 pm    Post subject:

In bullet chess, the great magnus carlsen use bong cloud and other troll openings while chatting and drinking.

jodeke
Retired Number
Retired Number

Location: In a world where admitting to not knowing something is considered a great way to learn.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 27, 2018 5:45 pm    Post subject:

I downloaded Chess King Titans. I'm killing it on level 2. I'm gonna move up to 3. Haven't play consistently for about 30 years. I'm building concentration and planning 3 moves ahead. My strategy, develop, attack, defend, block, retreat.

America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we falter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves.
ryan_c
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Jan 01, 2019 4:31 pm    Post subject:

jodeke wrote:
I downloaded Chess King Titans. I'm killing it on level 2. I'm gonna move up to 3. Haven't play consistently for about 30 years. I'm building concentration and planning 3 moves ahead. My strategy, develop, attack, defend, block, retreat.

why not try downloading the lichess app? you can play human opponents here and it has a free tactics puzzles.

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=org.lichess.mobileapp&hl=en

you can also play online

https://lichess.org/
non-player zealot
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Jan 01, 2019 6:21 pm    Post subject:

ryan_c wrote:
non-player zealot wrote:

Got it finally. They put the whole segment up the very same day you posted this. You've got ESP...N.

ryan_c
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Jan 03, 2019 11:38 pm    Post subject:

non-player zealot wrote:
ryan_c wrote:
non-player zealot wrote:

Got it finally. They put the whole segment up the very same day you posted this. You've got ESP...N.

Thanks.

Anyway

Magnus Carlsen is DrNykterstein | Lichess Titled Arena 9

ryan_c
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Jan 27, 2019 10:58 pm    Post subject:

Agadmator has one of the most popular youtube chess channel. Here in this link is a game by the legendary Capablanca.

Here is how Capablanca learned how to play chess.

Quote:
‘I remember clearly my first game of chess. I had just passed my fourth birthday – 23 years ago. Depressed with a feeling of ennui, which a hot Havana day ofttimes induces, and having failed in my search for something interesting in the actions or stories of the soldiers of Morro Castle, where it was my wont to spend the greater part of my day, I directed my footsteps to one of the towers of the fort, in order to discuss with my father ways and means for routing this childish ennui of mine.

It might be well for me to explain that my father, though a poor chessplayer, was a good soldier. He was then serving as a lieutenant in the cavalry division of the Spanish army stationed at Havana, in Morro Castle.

As a consequence, my companions were soldiers; my playground a military fort. Here I delighted to listen to the stories of wars, of strategic battles, of military heroes. Here the glamour of military life made its appeal to me. And here was I made to understand, young as I was, the importance to the soldier of a well-planned attack or defense.

http://www.chesshistory.com/winter/extra/capablanca4.html
ExPatLkrFan
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2019 5:19 pm    Post subject:

ryan_c wrote:
jodeke wrote:

why not try downloading the lichess app? you can play human opponents here and it has a free tactics puzzles.

you can also play online

Chess24 is pretty good too. They have a mobile app that can play with humans as well as on their website.
ryan_c
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2019 11:40 pm    Post subject:

ExPatLkrFan wrote:
ryan_c wrote:
jodeke wrote:

you can also play online

Chess24 is pretty good too. They have a mobile app that can play with humans as well as on their website.

I have not tried it, but yeah from the looks of it, Chess24 is nice too.

Quote:

Vladimir Kramnik quits chess at 43

The 14th World Chess Champion Vladimir Kramnik today announced his retirement from chess at the age of 43. His last professional game was a loss to Sam Shankland in Wijk aan Zee, but the decision had been taken a couple of months earlier. Kramnik says his “chess player motivation has dropped significantly in recent months” and he now wants to focus on projects “in the field of chess for children and education”. Vladimir will go down in chess history as the man who managed to beat Garry Kasparov in 2000, before holding on to the World Championship title for 7 years.

https://chess24.com/en/read/news/vladimir-kramnik-quits-chess-at-43
ryan_c
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Feb 03, 2019 7:27 pm    Post subject:

Here is a good read on the historical development of chess theory.

https://www.britannica.com/topic/chess/Development-of-theory
ryan_c
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Mar 25, 2019 6:25 pm    Post subject:

One of The Deepest Moves Ever Played in Chess | Breyer vs Esser (1917)

ryan_c
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Apr 15, 2019 4:45 pm    Post subject:

Here is a recent brilliant game by the world champion Carlsen against Giri.

ryan_c
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu May 09, 2019 4:02 pm    Post subject:

The Immortal Rook Lift by 11-year old Josh Waitzkin

kikanga
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Sep 08, 2022 8:59 pm    Post subject:

There's some drama going on lately.

Chess Is in Chaos Over Suspicion That a Player Cheated Against Magnus Carlsen
When the world champion withdrew from a major tournament after a stunning loss, it ignited suspicions of foul play. Hans Moke Niemann, his opponent, denied any wrongdoing. Chaos ensued.
WSJ
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Off Topic All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4
Jump to: