Chess Thread
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

View previous topic :: View next topic  
non-player zealot
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Oct 14, 2017 5:52 am    Post subject:

angrypuppy wrote:
The key in chess is to set up combinations; moves that "force" your opponent to react to your threat. The combinations themselves are a series of moves that threaten or execute the double attacks, pins, skewers, etc. The use of combinations also aids the chess player to "look ahead" further moves. The chess player with the brains to see and plot more combinations (a tree structure of moves and counter moves rather than a linear sequence) than his opponent should win, unless of course he blunders.

That's where the novice should begin after learning basic attacks.

Later you may wish to learn some chess openings. The objective of the opening is to gain control of the middle of the chess board, which is strategically the most important. You also need to learn openings if you are to ever engage in tournament play, unless you love to be caught unprepared and enjoy watching your precious minutes tick away before you even have a chance to engage in the middle game, which is where most of your time will be burned.

Personally, I hate the game.

A tangent, but it was surmised in a Bobby Fischer docu that his lifelong hellbent obsession about chess and winning most likely stunted his social skills and/or harmed his psyche in some way(s). Unfortunately, he steadily evolved from a prickly pear to a full blown nut towards the end of his life. Dan Gable, GOAT wrestler, had a similar fixation on his game/sport and winning at all costs or you're an utter failure. His obsessing over losses reminded me of Jerry West. He felt he had to win to make his parents not feel the effects of his older sister being sexually assaulted and murdered in their own home while they were away on a trip. Personalities like theirs are interesting to me, the idea that they have to be loners and put everything aside to focus on the one thing. Wins are merely "loss-restrainers", not feel-good events.

WILBON PROPS NPZ's MAGIC MAN MIX ON PTI!
ryan_c
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Oct 15, 2017 5:40 pm    Post subject:

Huey Lewis & The News wrote:
ryan_c wrote:
13 checkmates that you must Know.

https://www.chess.com/forum/view/general/13-checkmates-you-must-know

Ryan you got any videos of yourself playing?

I play at tournaments, but i don't have any videos.
ryan_c
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Oct 15, 2017 11:57 pm    Post subject:

governator wrote:

Just did the same, my new subway thing

Personally i don't like playing against a computer/app. I prefer playing over the board or online against human opponents.
ryan_c
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Nov 04, 2017 2:04 pm    Post subject:

Garry Kasparov "sacrifices" both bishops

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gIR65Mz8mHQ
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Off Topic All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3
Jump to: