Porzingis potential
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> General Basketball Discussion Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jonnybravo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Nov 17, 2016 2:03 pm    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:
ExiledFromCA wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:
USCandLakers wrote:
He looks fantastic. He showed some of this excellent play last year but fatigue would set in and he'd have troubles sustaining that play throughout the entire game. Now that he's more used to NBA minutes he's able to keep up his high level of play for the whole game.

It's just so damn easy for him to get shots. He really should take over for Melo on the low shot clock shots. No one's bothering that shot.

Yeah, he's playing well. Again, the only concern for me is long-term how his 7'3 frame holds up. Can't think of too many higher usage 7'3 guys having a long NBA career.

Well, there have been only eight TOTAL 7'2"+ guys who ever had a 20 PER season:
Abdul-Jabbar - played 'til age 41
Gilmore - played 'til age 38
Sabonis - played 'til age 38
Ilgauskas - played 'til age 35
Smits - played 'til age 33
Yao Ming - played 'til age 28
Ralph Sampson - healthy 'til age 25
Muresan - healthy 'til age 25

so, honestly, the track record looks pretty good. Yao Ming was 7"6', Muresan was a 7'7" freak with a glandular disease - Porzingis' fluidity and agility is not remotely like those guys. If we just look at the odds, without him having any history of injury, there's no reason to think he's particularly likely to have a truncated career. Basically there's ONE cautionary tale of a similar player, Sabonis, having his game reduced, but a sample of one is not evidence of anything, and even Sabonis still managed to have a long, successful career.

Nice list. Yeah, it's just an uphill battle body wise for guys THAT big. How about in the recent 10 years? It's what, Yao and that's it? Kind of unprecedented grounds for the past 10 years.

The better question is how many 7'3" guys and above are actually even good in the last 10 years. That list is also Yao and that's it so we're not really able to make a recent correlation as to whether or not their body will hold up being that tall. With Yao, I imagine his height couldn't have helped but acting as a pack mule for the Chinese team every off-season probably played a huge factor as well.
Dave20
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Nov 18, 2016 10:20 am    Post subject:

Top 10 player for sure in 2 years.
ryan_c
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Nov 22, 2016 6:35 pm    Post subject:

His talent is unique. At 7'3 he can run down dribble the whole court and finish with a layup. At 7'3 he has a nice crossover. He is also a good defender.
ryan_c
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Nov 23, 2016 6:13 am    Post subject:

Impressive display by Porzingis

Kristaps Porzingis Full Highlights 2016.11.22 vs Blazers - 31 Pts, 9 Rebs

Vancouver Fan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Nov 23, 2016 12:09 pm    Post subject:

Porky be ballin right now, nice little stretch here. He's playing fantastic ball.
wolfpaclaker
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Nov 24, 2016 1:57 am    Post subject:

Less than a quarter into the season, but so far on offense Towns and Porzingis are neck and neck this year, if not some favorable numbers for KP.

Towns - 21.3 PPG, 57.9 True Shooting Percentage 116 O Rating
Porzingis - 21.0 PPG, 60.5 True Shooting Percentage 121 O Rating

Mind you last year the first 2 months he was able to stay close to Towns (who is a monster) and then he gassed. Lets see if the same happens this year. Talent wise on offense, there is no doubt in my mind, Porzingis has established himself as the most complete in his draft class out of the bigs. He pretty much has all-star shooting guard skills in a 7'3 frame. ESPN ran a sports science study on him, and his dribbling skills in terms of doing certain ballhandling drills were on par with PG's like Isiah Thomas, D'Angelo Russell etc.

Here's the sports science vid ESPN ran before the season.

http://www.espn.com/video/clip?id=17612049

Still not sure if he is still physically ready or peaked to keep this up an entire season. But potential wise, I think he has it all to be the best out of his draft.

The other thing, I've caught two Knicks games this year, and I think his defense has slipped a bit. He's still a 2 way player, but he is so much more active on offense now that some of that energy he had last year on D is slipping. Again, I think he will be at his best 2 years from now when he hits his peak physically. Interesting to see if he improves his defense or becomes more of a "sometimes good, usually average" defender.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
governator
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Nov 24, 2016 7:21 am    Post subject:

wolfpaclaker wrote:
Less than a quarter into the season, but so far on offense Towns and Porzingis are neck and neck this year, if not some favorable numbers for KP.

Towns - 21.3 PPG, 57.9 True Shooting Percentage 116 O Rating
Porzingis - 21.0 PPG, 60.5 True Shooting Percentage 121 O Rating

Mind you last year the first 2 months he was able to stay close to Towns (who is a monster) and then he gassed. Lets see if the same happens this year. Talent wise on offense, there is no doubt in my mind, Porzingis has established himself as the most complete in his draft class out of the bigs. He pretty much has all-star shooting guard skills in a 7'3 frame. ESPN ran a sports science study on him, and his dribbling skills in terms of doing certain ballhandling drills were on par with PG's like Isiah Thomas, D'Angelo Russell etc.

Here's the sports science vid ESPN ran before the season.

http://www.espn.com/video/clip?id=17612049

Still not sure if he is still physically ready or peaked to keep this up an entire season. But potential wise, I think he has it all to be the best out of his draft.

The other thing, I've caught two Knicks games this year, and I think his defense has slipped a bit. He's still a 2 way player, but he is so much more active on offense now that some of that energy he had last year on D is slipping. Again, I think he will be at his best 2 years from now when he hits his peak physically. Interesting to see if he improves his defense or becomes more of a "sometimes good, usually average" defender.

These 2 kids with AD will rule the new stretch 5 divisions for years to come (assuming Cousins self destruct), Embiid a level below maybe joined by Gobert if he improves massively
lmaster65
Sixth Man
Sixth Man

PostPosted: Tue Dec 13, 2016 9:54 pm    Post subject:

He followed up his nice games vs the Lakers with another one vs PHX.

34p 8r 3stl 3blk
12/23 FGs
4/4 3Ps

But he fouled out and his team lost. He was carrying the Knicks with Melo having another dreadful night and Rose who left the game due to back spams (wasn't exactly lighting it up with 0/6 shooting).

The only thing I'm worried about with him is health. It's hard to be the kind of athlete he is at his size and stay healthy.
ryan_c
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Dec 13, 2016 10:03 pm    Post subject:

lmaster65 wrote:

34p 8r 3stl 3blk
12/23 FGs
4/4 3Ps

But he fouled out and his team lost. He was carrying the Knicks with Melo having another dreadful night and Rose who left the game due to back spams (wasn't exactly lighting it up with 0/6 shooting).

The only thing I'm worried about with him is health. It's hard to be the kind of athlete he is at his size and stay healthy.

But it seems, Knicks is confident to play him 41 minutes. If can see Knicks being a powerful force in the east if you can pair Porzingis with another star. Rose and Melo are not the player they used to be.
ryan_c
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Dec 13, 2016 10:03 pm    Post subject:

lmaster65 wrote:

34p 8r 3stl 3blk
12/23 FGs
4/4 3Ps

But it seems, Knicks is confident to play him 41 minutes. I can see Knicks being a powerful force in the east if you can pair Porzingis with another star. Rose and Melo are not the player they used to be.
lmaster65
Sixth Man
Sixth Man

PostPosted: Tue Dec 13, 2016 10:21 pm    Post subject:

I don't get why they're playing him that many minutes. He had huge stamina issues last year and he's improved on it but he can't be playing 40min games given his motor and size. Seems like they're riding him too hard.

He also got into it with Marquese Chriss in the 3rd and that really got him fired up.
nevitt_smrek
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Dec 13, 2016 11:58 pm    Post subject:

Can become one of those franchise-level players. Doesn't mean he'll get there, but can see it happening. Wouldn't be surprising if he does.
carlosLisboa
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Dec 14, 2016 1:32 am    Post subject:

nevitt_smrek wrote:
Can become one of those franchise-level players. Doesn't mean he'll get there, but can see it happening. Wouldn't be surprising if he does.

All star this year.
Wothin a couple of seasons he'll be heavier and play close to the basket.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
jonnybravo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Dec 14, 2016 3:04 pm    Post subject:

40% on 5.5 shot attempts from 3. Nuts...
kikanga
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Dec 14, 2016 3:43 pm    Post subject:

An oversized European big man balling out at the 4 for Phil! 😱
Who could've guessed!

Grabbing Noah was genius as well. He can do all the banging with the most physical big on the other team. reminds me of Pau and Bynum. Could've been the same with Pau and Dwight too. But oh well. The past is the past
kenkoy
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Dec 14, 2016 4:13 pm    Post subject:

If I'm Phil/Knicks, I would throw a truckload of money to Dirk Nowitzki (after he retires of course) to tutor this guy. Imagine Porzingis with the Dirk fadeaway?...freaking unguardable!
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Dec 14, 2016 9:08 pm    Post subject:

Chris Webber type of career.
LakersNewEra
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Dec 15, 2016 1:04 pm    Post subject:

kenkoy wrote:
If I'm Phil/Knicks, I would throw a truckload of money to Dirk Nowitzki (after he retires of course) to tutor this guy. Imagine Porzingis with the Dirk fadeaway?...freaking unguardable!

He's going be unguardable anyway. In a few years how do you stop him from scoring 30-35? You can't. He can just score in so many ways.
Franchise player and one of the best players in the league in a few years.
Not to mention he is already the best shotblocker in the league.
ExiledFromCA
Sixth Man
Sixth Man

PostPosted: Sun Nov 05, 2017 6:57 pm    Post subject:

He's been scoring well all season, but I was really impressed by him in the game tonight - he had 40 point and 6 blocks, and 2 or 3 of those blocks were late, as part of a suffocating defense that allowed a huge comeback. Of course DLo has also been playing quite well, and Towns is more efficient than ever, just in a reduced role.
tox
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Nov 05, 2017 9:14 pm    Post subject:

I'm really loath to watch the Knicks play, but I might have to do it to watch Kristaps in action. His TS%/USG% have both risen so much from last year it's crazy. That 3rd year jump, man. I was definitely skeptical about him in years past, but yeesh now he's looking absolutely worth the hype.
lmaster65
Sixth Man
Sixth Man

PostPosted: Sun Nov 05, 2017 11:03 pm    Post subject:

Here we're talking about how Porzingis could be the best player in his draft and the thread right below this one is about Okafor being out of the rotation in Philly. Who would've thought this 3 years ago when Okafor was consensus #1 and we were all talking about tanking for him!
Baron Von Humongous
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Nov 05, 2017 11:30 pm    Post subject:

tox wrote:
I'm really loath to watch the Knicks play, but I might have to do it to watch Kristaps in action. His TS%/USG% have both risen so much from last year it's crazy. That 3rd year jump, man. I was definitely skeptical about him in years past, but yeesh now he's looking absolutely worth the hype.

If only he had more than 8 assists all season. He really has followed his scouting report, but is a star version of what he was scouted to be.

On a personal level, this is good data for me when scouting prospects. If guys like Kuzma and Kristaps project to have definite NBA strengths, don't ding them too much for their weaknesses
lmaster65
Sixth Man
Sixth Man

PostPosted: Mon Nov 06, 2017 12:01 am    Post subject:

Baron Von Humongous wrote:
tox wrote:

If only he had more than 8 assists all season. He really has followed his scouting report, but is a star version of what he was scouted to be.

On a personal level, this is good data for me when scouting prospects. If guys like Kuzma and Kristaps project to have definite NBA strengths, don't ding them too much for their weaknesses

Towns also only has 9 assist total this season and he's got shot makers on his team and is supposed to be a good passer. The thing with Zingis is that I've seen him make some great reads and passes here and there but they usually come when he's looking to make one. When he gets the ball in the block he'll get tunnel vision looking to score. I think teams need to double him the moment he puts it on the floor because that's where he struggles to make the optimal pass.
ryan_c
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Nov 06, 2017 12:10 am    Post subject:

Porzingod and Ball are perfect combinations.
mhan00
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Nov 06, 2017 7:30 am    Post subject:

Porzingis has arguably surpassed Towns as the guy from that draft. Incredible.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> General Basketball Discussion All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4
Jump to: