Laker Film Room (Pg. 91: Pete Signed By Lakers)
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 39, 40, 41 ... 91, 92, 93  Next

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Topic HOF This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Laker's Fan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Nov 01, 2017 11:31 pm    Post subject:

Vadorojo wrote:
tox wrote:
Great vid GT! Loved that you spotlighted JC/Hart battling down low in the switch everything lineups. I'll admit I didn't notice it watching the game.

Hart's ability to battle against bigger players is one my favorite things about his game. It's the second piece of the switch-everything puzzle (along with bigs that can switch on to guards, of course). I'm glad to see Clarkson working hard on that, too.

It's one of the things I disliked about D'Lo's defense - he rarely played big against bigger players, like Hart does. Maybe he'll grow into it as he develops. Hart has a couple years on him and the grown man's body as a head start in the league.

To me, Hart has more of a wing game than guard game. He lacks great wing length so he makes up for that in other ways like maximum effort and playing stronger against bigs. I love that about him btw.

There were a number of times I got the impression Russell was playing cautiously with his knees. Quietly had some issues there but in most cases that's just part of getting used to the rigors of playing so much. Holding the line against bigs from the guard spot takes a lot of leg strength.
Shaber
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Nov 01, 2017 11:39 pm    Post subject:

I just love the improved D. But then, they gamble at times so much it just makes me cringe. This last game the Pistons got around four easy baskets just because our guys went all out to get a steal but didn't. Hopefully the discipline comes with the experience.

Lakers depth chart

PG Johnson / Goodrich
SG Bryant / West / Scott
SF Baylor / Worthy / Cooper
PF Mikkelsen / Hairston / McAdoo / Gasol
C Chamberlain / Abdul-Jabbar / O'Neal / Mikan
A Mad Chinaman
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Nov 02, 2017 1:29 am    Post subject:

TheBlackMamba wrote:
We need to insert Jules back in the starting lineup and play BI with him and JC more. It's not perfect, they have their flaws, but Dlo or any other above average shot creator-type ain't walking through that door anytime soon, and these are the two guys we have that can do that. Nance is solid, he hustles, defends well, etc., but he's just not moving the needle on offense and it's making everyone else's job more difficult than it has to be. And he has the type of game that would be just as effective coming off the bench (if not more so in their helter skelter style of play) as long as he's consistently playing with energy which I trust he will, unlike what we've seen with Jules. Luke's experiment to start him was cute and all, but it hasn't worked out and needs to end. Start Lonzo/KCP/BI/Jules/Brook and bring JC/Hart/Kuz/Bogut off the bench. There's your 9-man rotation right there...
Seemingly the factors that has prompted Luke to start Nance are the following:

He plays defense

He does all the little things

He is a glue guy

Randle has been effective in playing 150% with the limited time that he is on the court and where instant offense is needed (coming off the bench).

Formula seems to be working, especially when JC is the PG. With Randle is the Point Forward playing with JC (shooter), Kuzma (outside shooting), Hart (DFish-like production) and others - team is building an identity
Shaber
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Nov 02, 2017 2:19 am    Post subject:

A Mad Chinaman wrote:
TheBlackMamba wrote:
We need to insert Jules back in the starting lineup and play BI with him and JC more. It's not perfect, they have their flaws, but Dlo or any other above average shot creator-type ain't walking through that door anytime soon, and these are the two guys we have that can do that. Nance is solid, he hustles, defends well, etc., but he's just not moving the needle on offense and it's making everyone else's job more difficult than it has to be. And he has the type of game that would be just as effective coming off the bench (if not more so in their helter skelter style of play) as long as he's consistently playing with energy which I trust he will, unlike what we've seen with Jules. Luke's experiment to start him was cute and all, but it hasn't worked out and needs to end. Start Lonzo/KCP/BI/Jules/Brook and bring JC/Hart/Kuz/Bogut off the bench. There's your 9-man rotation right there...
Seemingly the factors that has prompted Luke to start Nance are the following:

He plays defense

He does all the little things

He is a glue guy

Randle has been effective in playing 150% with the limited time that he is on the court and where instant offense is needed (coming off the bench).

Formula seems to be working, especially when JC is the PG. With Randle is the Point Forward playing with JC (shooter), Kuzma (outside shooting), Hart (DFish-like production) and others - team is building an identity

It is also about complementarity. Brook likes to play on the perimeter on O while Nace is a slasher who does not need to have the ball to be effective.
Randle needs to have the ball and creates off the dribble while Kuzma likes to hang on the perimeter and occasionally slash.
PGs come also to the mix. Starting unit has Lonzo and BI as ball handlers, Randle can be the ball handler next to JC with the second unit.
Plus, there was just a discussion about how the two lineups use different plays.

There's more in the formula than just shooting.

Lakers depth chart

PG Johnson / Goodrich
SG Bryant / West / Scott
SF Baylor / Worthy / Cooper
PF Mikkelsen / Hairston / McAdoo / Gasol
C Chamberlain / Abdul-Jabbar / O'Neal / Mikan
KeepItRealOrElse
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Nov 02, 2017 6:00 pm    Post subject:

Thanks for pointing out Ingram's fake tagging of the P/R to get the steal, that was cool and savvy. And I'm always a sucker for proper denial-hand steals, remember it feels good getting them.
Few games ago I first noticed our length contesting shots. Hopefully it becomes an identity now - SVG talked about it.

Me and @Tox were talking about Ingram's activity last game, rewatching - it's not 110% but he's way more locked in than last year, he's on beat. Using his length 'helping down' some, too.

Roster construction wise, it is a boon that we have a handful of guys who see themselves as defenders - Harts minutes are enegizing(although he wasn't 100% healthy last game), Brewer, even Kuzma really is active and vocal, Nance, Randle being energized. That spreads just as much as passing.
Maybe some of the pressure and life infused from the new F.O. helps our culture become more competitive too.

Was over-helping in the preseason a sign of over-effort, like activity without achievement..? Didn't watch closely enough to say, but that can be what over-helping is sometimes. Better issue than low effort, it's corrected with reps, and the energy eventually becomes a boon
GoldenThroat

PostPosted: Fri Nov 03, 2017 8:24 am    Post subject:

Podcast: The Grit & Grind...Lakers?

http://www.forumblueandgold.com/2017/11/03/lakers-podcast-grit-grind-lakers/
babyskyhook
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Nov 03, 2017 10:24 am    Post subject:

GoldenThroat wrote:
Podcast: The Grit & Grind...Lakers?

http://www.forumblueandgold.com/2017/11/03/lakers-podcast-grit-grind-lakers/

Haven't listened yet, but love where you're going with this idea.

Looking forward to hearing it.
GoldenThroat

PostPosted: Fri Nov 03, 2017 5:24 pm    Post subject:

Video: Two Defensive Improvements That the Lakers Need to Make

http://www.forumblueandgold.com/2017/11/03/laker-film-room-two-improvements-lakers-defense-need-make/
Vadorojo
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Nov 04, 2017 7:29 am    Post subject:

GoldenThroat wrote:
Video: Two Defensive Improvements That the Lakers Need to Make

http://www.forumblueandgold.com/2017/11/03/laker-film-room-two-improvements-lakers-defense-need-make/

Great stuff. I particularly like the Nance spotlight because it displays some of his hidden value. Tags don’t appear in the box score, but the clips clearly show that he was preventing easy Nurkic looks when others weren’t.
TooMuchMajicBuss
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

Location: In a white room, with black curtains near the station

PostPosted: Sat Nov 04, 2017 10:40 am    Post subject:

Great video again GT! These look like the kinds of adjustments other Lakers can pick up on eventually with some film room time; not playing ball pressure 40 feet out, tagging the roll man and agreeing who's responsible for tagging the roll man. Nurkic was pretty much unstoppable whenever he was allowed within 5 feet of the basket. I got a kick out of that Ingram push near the end. Good attitude BI!
GoldenThroat

PostPosted: Sat Nov 04, 2017 5:15 pm    Post subject:

Video: Lakers Front Court Overwhelms Undersized Nets, 124-112

http://www.forumblueandgold.com/2017/11/04/laker-film-room-lakers-front-court-overwhelms-undersized-nets-124-112/
Fortysixn2
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Nov 04, 2017 10:02 pm    Post subject:

GoldenThroat wrote:
Video: Lakers Front Court Overwhelms Undersized Nets, 124-112

http://www.forumblueandgold.com/2017/11/04/laker-film-room-lakers-front-court-overwhelms-undersized-nets-124-112/

Great vid Pete!
danzag
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Nov 05, 2017 6:41 am    Post subject:

Thanks GT
GoldenThroat

PostPosted: Sun Nov 05, 2017 1:36 pm    Post subject:

PHILosophize
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Nov 05, 2017 1:46 pm    Post subject:

wow nice video dude
LakerSD
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Nov 05, 2017 1:50 pm    Post subject:

PHILosophize wrote:
wow nice video dude

lots of good stuff in that breakdown. Lonzo and the coaching staff should watch it
danzag
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Nov 05, 2017 4:32 pm    Post subject:

LakerSD wrote:
PHILosophize wrote:
wow nice video dude

lots of good stuff in that breakdown. Lonzo and the coaching staff should watch it

I wonder if our coaching staff watches GT's videos. They really should.
LakerSanity

PostPosted: Sun Nov 05, 2017 6:19 pm    Post subject:

Great video GT. Don't disagree with you at all on Ball's 3. Hadn't noticed it myself, nor did I notice how many passes he's missing. Both were quite the revelations. While I think the jumper issue is going to take some time, if Ball is who we all think he is, I could see that decision making vastly improving within this season. Really interesting stuff that I would have missed but for you. Fantastic work.

Twitter: @DeleteThisPost
DancingBarry
Editor-in-Chief
Editor-in-Chief

PostPosted: Sun Nov 05, 2017 10:01 pm    Post subject:

Also agree with GT on the shooting. Tonight, was another perfect example of that with the one he made vs. the others.
Bishop*
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Tue Nov 07, 2017 8:27 am    Post subject:

Really very good stuff. For a physics Major like me the observations makes a lot of sense.

I heard somebody say that most of the habits he has with his shooting is because he started shooting 3s at a very early age and had to do some of these things to get the shot to go. Like adding momentum by kicking his legs.
LAker_Legend
Rookie
Rookie

PostPosted: Tue Nov 07, 2017 10:53 am    Post subject:

Besides the terrible mechanics of his shot, he is mainly struggling to score because he isn't looking to score often enough. It's like he's flat out scared or unconfident.
GoldenThroat

PostPosted: Tue Nov 07, 2017 12:55 pm    Post subject:

epak
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Nov 07, 2017 1:52 pm    Post subject:

Nice vid!
I've loved contesting jumpers ever since Pop mentioned the % drop of open vs contested shots years ago.
PHILosophize
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Nov 07, 2017 1:59 pm    Post subject:

sexy video
GoldenThroat

PostPosted: Sat Nov 11, 2017 10:15 am    Post subject:

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Topic HOF All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 39, 40, 41 ... 91, 92, 93  Next
Page 40 of 93
Jump to: