Breaking: Massacre at Texas Church
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Off Topic This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jodeke
Retired Number
Retired Number

Location: In a world where admitting to not knowing something is considered a great way to learn.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 06, 2017 10:04 am    Post subject:

Why in the hell are weapons like THIS argued as legal to own? What's the reason? These are weapon of war. What real purpose do they serve in a civil society?

I'm for taking them off the market. What kind of people buy them? I'm not condemning any, just wondering.

I'm a advocate for the second amendment. I'm also a advocate for a revisit and revision.

America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we falter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves.
Thugnomoe
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Nov 06, 2017 10:19 am    Post subject:

man.. there's a lot of "too soon" in this thread..

really? mocking the prayers of people in the church that just got shot up.. some long time contributors here at LG should be ashamed of themselves.
Aeneas Hunter
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Nov 06, 2017 10:36 am    Post subject:

jodeke wrote:
Why in the hell are weapons like THIS argued as legal to own? What's the reason? These are weapon of war. What real purpose do they serve in a civil society?

I'm for taking them off the market. What kind of people buy them? I'm not condemning any, just wondering.

I'm a advocate for the second amendment. I'm also a advocate for a revisit and revision.

This belongs in The Political Thread.
governator
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Nov 06, 2017 10:45 am    Post subject:

jodeke wrote:

Because it sells and the NRA is one of the most powerful lobbying entity in US
jodeke
Retired Number
Retired Number

Location: In a world where admitting to not knowing something is considered a great way to learn.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 06, 2017 10:56 am    Post subject:

Aeneas Hunter wrote:
jodeke wrote:

C'mon man! Are you attempting to troll? You my peeps but I think you need to back off on this one.

America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we falter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves.
Aeneas Hunter
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Nov 06, 2017 11:26 am    Post subject:

jodeke wrote:
Aeneas Hunter wrote:
jodeke wrote:

C'mon man! Are you attempting to troll? You my peeps but I think you need to back off on this one.

This is a thread about a shooting. You want to argue about gun control. That belongs in The Political Thread.
rwongega
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Nov 06, 2017 11:37 am    Post subject:

jodeke wrote:
Aeneas Hunter wrote:
jodeke wrote:

ChefLinda wrote:
No politics talk. No talk about other posters. Any questions, please PM me.

RIP Jonathan Tang
RIP Alex Gruenberg

Free KBCB
Aeneas Hunter
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Nov 06, 2017 11:45 am    Post subject:

Quote:
Scott told CNN he had met shooter Devin Kelley in the past and he’s confident Kelley would have known and spoken to every person in that church community where he killed 26 people.
Aeneas Hunter
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Nov 06, 2017 11:49 am    Post subject:

Quote:
“He was dressed in all black. At that time I'm not sure if he had the mask on or not. But he was wearing a black mask that had a white face — skull face — to it. Then he drove across the church and exited the vehicle and started the shooting,” Martin said.

He added: “He was wearing a ballistic vest with a plate on the front. There was no plate on the back.”
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Nov 06, 2017 12:02 pm    Post subject:

They reported that some residents near by heard the gunfire and shot him as he escaped. They are not sure if that was the mortal wound or if he killed himself.
jodeke
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Nov 06, 2017 12:08 pm    Post subject:

rwongega wrote:
jodeke wrote:
Aeneas Hunter wrote:
jodeke wrote:

ChefLinda wrote:
No politics talk. No talk about other posters. Any questions, please PM me.

My response was related to a carry over from AH and DMR.

That's why we have mods, which neither of you are. I'm done with this portion of the discussion.

Aeneas Hunter
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Nov 06, 2017 12:21 pm    Post subject:

Quote:
Kelley purchased the Ruger AR-556 rifle in April 2016 from an Academy Sports & Outdoors store in San Antonio, a law enforcement official told CNN.

When Kelley filled out the background check paperwork at the store, he checked the box to indicate he didn't have disqualifying criminal history, the official said. He listed an address in Colorado Springs, Colorado when he bought the rifle, the official said.

I don't think Academy operates on the left coast. It is a chain of large outdoor equipment stores. It is sort of like Bass Pro Shops, which I think does operate on the left coast. Think of it as Home Depot for outdoor equipment. This was not some shady gun dealer who might play fast and loose with the rules.
jodeke
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Nov 06, 2017 12:32 pm    Post subject:

venturalakersfan wrote:
They reported that some residents near by heard the gunfire and shot him as he escaped. They are not sure if that was the mortal wound or if he killed himself.

Quote:
When police arrived about five minutes later, they approached the suspect's vehicle and found the gunman inside dead of a bullet wound. He was later identified as Devin Patrick Kelley.

This article is disturbing to me. Citizens with guns confronting an chasing a armed suspect is not only dangerous but I believe is unlawful. I don't think they're hero's.

IMO observe and report, follow the suspect at a safe distance, inform the authorities of his location, allow the police to do the job they were trained to, would be more fitting.

LINK

ContagiousInspiration
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Nov 06, 2017 12:45 pm    Post subject:

jodeke wrote:
venturalakersfan wrote:

Quote:
When police arrived about five minutes later, they approached the suspect's vehicle and found the gunman inside dead of a bullet wound. He was later identified as Devin Patrick Kelley.

This article is disturbing to me. Citizens with guns confronting an chasing a armed suspect is not only dangerous but I believe is unlawful. I don't think they're hero's.

IMO observe and report, follow the suspect at a safe distance, inform the authorities of his location, allow the police to do the job they were trained to, would be more fitting.

LINK

I am with you on that but I think they knew what he just did.. I am sure they were not even in control of their adrenaline... I probably would've ran after him like Forest Gump and got shot myself..

Read this morning this may have all been over a woman in the church..

^^didn't care about details.. this world is disturbing
Aeneas Hunter
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Nov 06, 2017 12:51 pm    Post subject:

jodeke wrote:

In a place like Sunderland Springs, the police are not going to respond in a matter of a couple minutes. If he just killed 26 people and is out and about with a rifle or some other firearm, someone needs to put him down. We can't wait around to see if he decides to shoot some more people. I realize that this is cold and nasty, but it's still true.
Aeneas Hunter
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Nov 06, 2017 12:56 pm    Post subject:

Quote:
Texas church shooter Devin Patrick Kelley was arrested on a cruelty to animals charge in August, 2014 in El Paso County, Colorado, according to the Sheriff’s Office there.

He was living in a Colorado Springs RV park at the time.

The witness who made the call to report the abuse incident saw Kelley jump on a young white and brown husky then he "began punching the dog with a closed fist near the head and neck area," according to records. The witness said Kelley then punched the dog four to five times, and "grabbed the dog by the neck and drug him away." Several other witnesses reported similar accounts of the beating of the pup.
LakerLanny
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Nov 06, 2017 1:02 pm    Post subject:

When I hear about these shootings now, my first thought is just sadness.

It is just sad that this is where we are at as a society, where people are in that place where they feel the need to do such horrible, evil things.
LakerLanny
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Nov 06, 2017 1:04 pm    Post subject:

jodeke wrote:
venturalakersfan wrote:

Quote:

LINK

I hear you but if you are going to slaughter people, all bets are off. If it takes a citizen to put a bullet in the gunman than so be it.
jodeke
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Nov 06, 2017 1:07 pm    Post subject:

CNN reporting the suspect called his father and told him he didn't think he was going to make it.

Texas shooting: Gunman Devin Kelly killed himself after vehicle chase, sheriff says

LINK
Quote:

The man who killed at least 26 people in a Baptist church in a rural Texas town on Sunday died of a self-inflicted gunshot wound, Wilson County Sheriff Joe Tackitt told CBS News in an interview on Monday morning.

jodeke
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Nov 06, 2017 1:34 pm    Post subject:

LakerLanny wrote:
jodeke wrote:
venturalakersfan wrote:

Quote:

LINK

I hear you but if you are going to slaughter people, all bets are off. If it takes a citizen to put a bullet in the gunman than so be it.

You don't think that's being reckless?

I think I understand why they did what they did but they could have become victims 28 & 29.

It kinda like police tell citizens not to try to intervene with a police chase. Getting in the way may turn out fatal for those who involve themselves and impede those trained to handle the situation.

Let those who are trained do what they are trained to do.

jodeke
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Nov 06, 2017 1:40 pm    Post subject:

Aeneas Hunter wrote:
jodeke wrote:

In a place like Sunderland Springs, the police are not going to respond in a matter of a couple minutes. If he just killed 26 people and is out and about with a rifle or some other firearm, someone needs to put him down. We can't wait around to see if he decides to shoot some more people. I realize that this is cold and nasty, but it's still true.

I understand where you're coming from, I just don't agree.

If he was still at the origin of the shooting I'd be more inclined with putting him down.

He was on the run. Keeping him in sight and reporting his location to authorities seems to me a better and safer way of apprehending the shooter.

Aeneas Hunter
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Nov 06, 2017 1:49 pm    Post subject:

jodeke wrote:

If he was still at the origin of the shooting I'd be more inclined with putting him down.

He was on the run. Keeping him in sight and reporting his location to authorities seems to me a better and safer way of apprehending the shooter.

Ah, you just don't know how it went down.

http://www.cnn.com/2017/11/05/us/texas-church-shooting-resident-action/index.html
jodeke
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Nov 06, 2017 2:01 pm    Post subject:

Aeneas Hunter wrote:
jodeke wrote:

Ah, you just don't know how it went down.

http://www.cnn.com/2017/11/05/us/texas-church-shooting-resident-action/index.html

I had that link in my initial report. I know about the shooting at the inception. These two guys got into a vehicle and gave chase. As I said he was on the run. Observe and report should have been their citizen action.

Last edited by jodeke on Mon Nov 06, 2017 2:10 pm; edited 1 time in total
Aeneas Hunter
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Nov 06, 2017 2:04 pm    Post subject:

^^^^

What, do you think they were driving down the highway shooting at him?
jodeke
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Nov 06, 2017 2:25 pm    Post subject:

Aeneas Hunter wrote:
^^^^

What, do you think they were driving down the highway shooting at him?

NO
Quote:
Leonard added that the shooter carjacked a nearby vehicle and engaged his cousin in a firefight.
"As he was doing that, [my cousin] shot him again, in the neck."

Quote:
Langendorff said he was driving by the church on the way to his girlfriend's house when he saw gunfire between the shooter and the armed resident.
Langendorff told CNN that both men had weapons drawn.
"There was exchange of gunfire. It lasted just a few seconds, and the shooter got in his vehicle and took off," he said.
The armed resident opened Langendorff's door, said the gunman shot up the church and urged the driver to step on it.
"We got to chase him," the man said, according to Langendorff. He said he answered, "Let's go."

IMO the bold is the point where observe and report should have begun. If they had kept Kelly in sight, gave the police his location the police would then do what they are trained to do.

Putting your life in danger may be heroic to some, it's not to me. These two men may have families that could have become mourners had things gone array.

Last edited by jodeke on Mon Nov 06, 2017 2:34 pm; edited 1 time in total
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Off Topic All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 3 of 5
Jump to: