Useless or annoying stuff that Stu Lantz says
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 8, 9, 10 ... 15, 16, 17  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
kobe_luver
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Nov 06, 2017 6:28 pm    Post subject:

spflakers wrote:
I like Stu but the quick-trigger contrarianism with anything Billy Mac says can be a bit much.

"The Lakers have a better record than the Cavs!"

"And? So? What's that mean? So? Talk to me in April."

It's just a statistical tidbit, Stu. A fun, early season oddity. No need to drag Mac through the ringer.

That's the interaction I meant in my post. Not to mention all the condescending laughter while saying that.
kobe_luver
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Nov 06, 2017 6:32 pm    Post subject:

kobeandgary wrote:
kobe_luver wrote:
Stu really got on my last nerves last night first with INSISTING the ball came off Ingram's shoulder and then later when he was laughing and tearing down the comment that we have a better record than the Cavs now (which we do and I was glad it was mentioned)!! His reaction was a direct diss against the Lakers team....like it was such an absurd comparison!!

He's bothered me for years with his constant "correcting and/or disagreeing" and also always being so anxious to get the game over with so he can leave.

Yeah he absolutely hates his job and can't stand watching the Lakers. I guess doing anything long enough can get that way, but the money must be good because he won't retire. So tired of listening him complain about having to do his job and how it just won't end already. He also likes to be the direct opposite of a homer and play devils advocate on any call we might get for whatever reason.

I agree totally. He goes out of his way to insist most calls against us are correct...even when they aren't. It is very rare he'll disagree with a call against us but then he'll go on about how hard it is for them to do their job and get all the calls right.

I didn't change the font or size of my reply. Don't know why it's larger??

Last edited by kobe_luver on Mon Nov 06, 2017 6:35 pm; edited 1 time in total
aprevo15
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Nov 06, 2017 6:33 pm    Post subject:

kobe_luver wrote:
spflakers wrote:
I like Stu but the quick-trigger contrarianism with anything Billy Mac says can be a bit much.

"The Lakers have a better record than the Cavs!"

"And? So? What's that mean? So? Talk to me in April."

It's just a statistical tidbit, Stu. A fun, early season oddity. No need to drag Mac through the ringer.

That's the interaction I meant in my post. Not to mention all the condescending laughter while saying that.

Yeah it does get a bit too much. I mean come on Stu, just agree with the guy at least once or twice.

Gotta give Billy Mac some respect for just taking that from Stu. I couldnt.
PHILosophize
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Nov 06, 2017 6:36 pm    Post subject:

Stu hates Billy Mac but he hated Joel way more.

Stu and Sundy were the (bleep) though.
kobeandgary
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Nov 06, 2017 7:27 pm    Post subject:

TEEGUNN wrote:
3peat_pete wrote:
TEEGUNN wrote:
Love Stu. Rarely get to watch the Lakers version of the broadcast as league pass always shows the oppositions broadcast, even on the Lakers league pass station, unless it is a sunday home game that is on the NBA TV channel.

In other words, very rarely do they show the Lakers broadcast. It is SO much better to listen to the Lakers broadcast than always having to listen to the oppositions broadcast... although Billy Mac sucks. Stu definitely does not suck.

league pass has an option for home/away broadcast. Are you sure you're doing it right?

Yes, of course I know that. Have had League Pass for as long as it's been around. Back when Time Warner took over, on my Dishnet, ALL the Lakers broadcasts, of course including the ones on the Lakers channel and also the oppositions channel, are shown with the oppositions feed. Unless it is sunday Lakers home games shown on the NBA TV channel.

Trust me, I've gone over this with many other Lakers fans who watch via Dishnet on League Pass. For some reason, Time Warner locks Dishnet out of the Lakers broadcast, at least where I am located. I do get the option to watch either the Lakers or the oppositions version of the broadcast if I use League Pass online, but that defeats the point of watching it on Dishnet on my 80" tv.

I wish this were user error, but it is not. Have conversed with Dishnet many times about this, and also emailed with League Pass - this is not on them according to them, it is on Time Warner according to both. I have no idea why Time Warner would cut out people from out of state from watching the Lakers via league pass - it's not like I can get Time Warner here in Montana..... stupid.

So odd because i live in Virginia and I get the option of watching home or away broadcasts on pretty much every single game.
repandpresent
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Mon Nov 06, 2017 7:35 pm    Post subject:

I use to hate when he would make up a conversation between two players.

Shaq looked up and said, "feed me the ball fish" and Fisher said, "heres the ball, get up and get it big fella" EVERY TIME before a commercial break on KCAL.
spflakers
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Nov 06, 2017 8:02 pm    Post subject:

non-player zealot wrote:
Stuart vs Joel: "Icy" (video courtesy JD2K)

This is amazing. A meaningless basket -- or was it!???!!! It either matters or it doesn't! Don't tell me it doesn't affect the outcome!! -- leading to near-war, like Soviets and US nearly nuking each other because of a computer chip mistake.
chipotleattack
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Nov 06, 2017 9:07 pm    Post subject:

Stu is really terrible.

But Billy Mac is also terrible. "DEEP AND DOWN" is the worst catch phrase I've ever heard and he says it every single time someone makes a three.

I miss Chick.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
ringfinger
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Nov 06, 2017 9:33 pm    Post subject:

Check this one out.

Basically, Ronny Turiaf lands on someone from Memphis, and lands on his back. Stu says "ride em cowboy ... bareback!"

Eww.
levon
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Nov 06, 2017 9:41 pm    Post subject:

chipotleattack wrote:
Stu is really terrible.

But Billy Mac is also terrible. "DEEP AND DOWN" is the worst catch phrase I've ever heard and he says it every single time someone makes a three.

I miss Chick.

Do you remember that one ad, was it for jack in the box? good tiiiieeeeeyiiiieemmeesss

or my favorite is his sassy gay friend "LaAAAAakerrrrrs"
levon
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Nov 06, 2017 9:42 pm    Post subject:

or his 10 second late "good if it GOES" on continuations
Vadorojo
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Nov 06, 2017 9:47 pm    Post subject:

ringfinger wrote:
Check this one out.

Basically, Ronny Turiaf lands on someone from Memphis, and lands on his back. Stu says "ride em cowboy ... bareback!"

Eww.

If only to remind me of Chick, it's worth having Stu around. "Lays it up and lays it in" and "charity stripe" are both from Chick. Mr. Mo is A-OK as far as I'm concerned.

I'd rather have a million fanciful conversations between players, inanimate basketball objects or whatever else Stu imagines rather than sideline interviews with TV personalities who aren't even watching the game.
pkflyers
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Nov 06, 2017 10:01 pm    Post subject:

non-player zealot wrote:

I literally lol'd at that

Big Game James wrote:
I'm Kwame Brown and every one of my posts seem to be moved. I find this perplexing because I've never had a post move before!

http://tinyurl.com/snxt
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
kobeandgary
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Nov 06, 2017 10:54 pm    Post subject:

non-player zealot wrote:

That whole thing would have been done a million times better if Stu wasn't there at all, the dude is just bad at his job.
TEEGUNN
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Nov 06, 2017 11:02 pm    Post subject:

I find it refreshing that Stu isn't a homer announcer. There are a LOT of homer announcers for other teams and it gets tiring to have to listen to the opposing teams broadcast crew game in, game out.

I will say that the opposing announcers are much kinder to the Lakers now that we have sucked ballz for 5ish years or so. Funny how that works - you suck long enough you don't get hated quite as much. Would rather continue the Lakers were very, very hated.

Jake Speed, 1986
VegasLakerFan
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Nov 07, 2017 2:35 am    Post subject:

greenfrog wrote:
The Juggernaut wrote:
Not a fan of Stu but he is very knowledgable about the game. He's not the most entertaining guy but he knows basketball and isn't a homer.

I learn nothing from his insight. Of course, I learn nothing from Hubie Brown anymore either. I think a lot of these guys reach a point where the game passes them by and they just regurgitate the same lines over and over again.

That's a little presumptuous, don't you think?

Give yourself some credit. Maybe you don't learn anything from these guys anymore because you already know a lot.
El Seano
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Tue Nov 07, 2017 3:40 am    Post subject:

I raised a comment about Stu years ago when I first started watching the Lakers. Since I'm English I was totally unused to that sorta bombastic, over the top, little story line creating style of announcing. The whole thing was just totally foreign to me. So when I said I didn't like it I got pretty much the reaction this thread did where most were fervently supporting him.

10 years later and I think I'm just used to him cause it either makes me laugh how corny it is or sometimes even get a little hyped. I kinda associate him with Lakers basketball now, it's part of it for better or worse and I will say that if you ever have to watch another teams announcers there are far worse out there. If Tommy Heinsohn is still going he was (bleep) awful.

On a similar note I really, really don't get why Dick Vitale ever got a job, let alone the recognition he's got. Did you Yanks like him or what? That guy is irritating as hell I have to skip the part he has in He Got Game every time.
resgraph27
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Tue Nov 07, 2017 1:15 pm    Post subject:

xxsicrokerxx wrote:
I like Stu Lantz, its Billy Mac I want gone.

Agree.
resgraph27
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Tue Nov 07, 2017 1:21 pm    Post subject:

TEEGUNN wrote:
I find it refreshing that Stu isn't a homer announcer. There are a LOT of homer announcers for other teams and it gets tiring to have to listen to the opposing teams broadcast crew game in, game out.

I will say that the opposing announcers are much kinder to the Lakers now that we have sucked ballz for 5ish years or so. Funny how that works - you suck long enough you don't get hated quite as much. Would rather continue the Lakers were very, very hated.

Yes, I love that Stu tells it like it is. Helps to edumacate. Seriously, helps to learn the game.

You want homers of the first order, come up here to Portland.

Rip City? No, HOMER City.

(Every time I hear the term “Rip City” it conjures up admittedly sophomoric remembrances of flatulence. Sorry, can’t help it... it’s a stoopid name.)
Rivershow
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Nov 07, 2017 1:55 pm    Post subject:

kobe_luver wrote:
kobeandgary wrote:
kobe_luver wrote:
Stu really got on my last nerves last night first with INSISTING the ball came off Ingram's shoulder and then later when he was laughing and tearing down the comment that we have a better record than the Cavs now (which we do and I was glad it was mentioned)!! His reaction was a direct diss against the Lakers team....like it was such an absurd comparison!!

He's bothered me for years with his constant "correcting and/or disagreeing" and also always being so anxious to get the game over with so he can leave.

Yeah he absolutely hates his job and can't stand watching the Lakers. I guess doing anything long enough can get that way, but the money must be good because he won't retire. So tired of listening him complain about having to do his job and how it just won't end already. He also likes to be the direct opposite of a homer and play devils advocate on any call we might get for whatever reason.

I agree totally. He goes out of his way to insist most calls against us are correct...even when they aren't. It is very rare he'll disagree with a call against us but then he'll go on about how hard it is for them to do their job and get all the calls right.

I didn't change the font or size of my reply. Don't know why it's larger??

Lol come on. He praises the Lakers plenty. Just because he tries to be even keeled on calls means he doesn't like his job or the Lakers? That is pure homerism and ugly.

Some of the other team's announcers around the league who argue every call is their call is so annoying. I like that Stu doesn't try to be too into the Laker's pockets.

Last edited by Rivershow on Tue Nov 07, 2017 1:57 pm; edited 1 time in total
Rivershow
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Nov 07, 2017 1:56 pm    Post subject:

resgraph27 wrote:
xxsicrokerxx wrote:
I like Stu Lantz, its Billy Mac I want gone.

Agree.

Thirded.
levon
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Nov 07, 2017 2:00 pm    Post subject:

pkflyers wrote:
non-player zealot wrote:

Kobe must've been really pissed to dunk that in at the buzzer.
epak
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Nov 07, 2017 2:03 pm    Post subject:

I'll take Spiro
greenfrog
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Nov 07, 2017 3:02 pm    Post subject:

I still miss Joel.
TEEGUNN
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Nov 07, 2017 5:34 pm    Post subject:

levon wrote:
pkflyers wrote:
non-player zealot wrote:

Kobe must've been really pissed to dunk that in at the buzzer.

Kobe played the game with a fire and passion that are right at the top of the best of the best. Playing angry is sometimes the right thing.

Jake Speed, 1986
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 8, 9, 10 ... 15, 16, 17  Next
Page 9 of 17
Jump to: