Sinus Issues (WARNING: LONG POST)
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
LakerFan87
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Nov 06, 2017 6:11 pm    Post subject: Sinus Issues (WARNING: LONG POST)

Hi all.

So recently, I have been batting some pretty severe allergy symptoms.

Specifically, I have been battling heavy Post Nasal Drip (PND) and I feel like I'm congested, but I have tried pretty much every common medication and remedy for these types of problems and nothing works. FYI, I have tried the following:

OTC Decongestants (DayQuil and others...)
OTC Expectorants (DayQuil, Mucinex)
OTC Nasal Sprays (Nasacort and Rhinocort)
Saline Nasal Mist Sprays
Salt Water Nasal Rinse
NetiPot

Nothing works.

I don't know how relevant this may be, but here is my backstory.

About 3 or 4 years ago, I contracted strep throat. I was prescribed antibiotics (Z-pack, I am allergic to Penicillin) and I was pretty much back to normal after a few days. I still had lingering PND, but it was very mild and I never thought much of it.

Eventually, the PND/congestion issues worsened and it got to the point where I couldn't work out or play basketball anymore because I would choke on my own mucous. It would stick to the back of my throat and I couldn't clear it out.

When it got to that point, I went to my local allergist. He had my try nasal spray after nasal spray and nothing worked. They eventually ran tests and determined I was mildly allergic to dusts and pollens, but nothing out of the ordinary. I should note that I live in the middle of nowhere in the high desert, so there is a crapload of dust floating around.

Not satisfied as I had yet to find relief, I consulted an ENT. He was able to determine within a matter of seconds that I had a severely deviated septum that was blocking my nasal passage. He recommended surgery but cautioned me that this would not cure my allergies.

I decided to undergo what he called a Septoturbinoplasty. It was a standard Septoplasty but in addition, there was a procedure to reduce inflammation of my nasal turbinates. This took place in August 2015 (a little over 2 years ago).

The surgery was a success and I was close to 100% symptom free until this past August. I contracted an Upper Respiratory Infection while on a business trip. I went to the urgent care when I got back and was prescribed the Z-Pack again and I got better except for minor lingering nasal symptoms. First, it was a runny nose, but then it evolved into congestion and eventually got to the point where I'm at now. My symptoms are very similar to what I was suffering though before my surgery.

I went back to my surgeon last week, afraid that my septum may have reverted back. He noticed that the bone shifted back a bit but checked out my nasal passages and he told me that they are wide open, even more so than normal and then explained that because of that, I am more prone to allergens because less of them get filtered out. He then told me to use Rhinocort (nasal spray listed above), Sudogest (OTC decongestant), and a salt water nasal rinse. I have been following his instructions, but as I explained above, I haven't gotten any results.

I have an appointment with my local allergist this Thursday and a follow up with my ENT a week from this Friday. I am also considering seeking a second opinion from a different ENT.

Has anyone here gone through similar problems? Can anyone provide any insight as to what might be going on? Is there something I am not considering?

I apologize for the super long post, but these symptoms are making me miserable and I am frustrated that I can't find relief.
Ted
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Nov 06, 2017 6:17 pm    Post subject:

Have you had a CT of your sinuses?
LakerFan87
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Nov 06, 2017 6:36 pm    Post subject:

Ted wrote:

No, but I'll bring that up with the doctors.

The most recent sickness I had caused a minor ear infection and wax buildup. I took some antibiotic ear drops but they didn't seem to do anything. When I brought this up with a coworker, he said that there might be some drainage going down my eustachian tubes. They supposedly feed directly into the throat and could possibly explain why I feel congested but can't blow anything out. I plan on bringing that up as well.
LakerLanny
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Nov 06, 2017 6:38 pm    Post subject:

I feel for you OP.

I got my nose broken playing basketball (intentionally by a thug) in my 20's and my sinuses have never been the same.

I struggle daily with sinus headaches behind my eyes, there are things that help me such as advil cold and sinus in the red box (behind the counter at the pharmacy, but no rx required) and the big boy 800 mg ibuprofen pills which reduce the swelling which is usually the cause of the problem.
Ted
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Nov 06, 2017 6:55 pm    Post subject:

LakerFan87 wrote:
Ted wrote:

No, but I'll bring that up with the doctors.

The most recent sickness I had caused a minor ear infection and wax buildup. I took some antibiotic ear drops but they didn't seem to do anything. When I brought this up with a coworker, he said that there might be some drainage going down my eustachian tubes. They supposedly feed directly into the throat and could possibly explain why I feel congested but can't blow anything out. I plan on bringing that up as well.

Yeah, you're going to need a CT for sure, next step.
xxsicrokerxx
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Nov 06, 2017 6:58 pm    Post subject:

Acupuncture is the only way
jodeke
Retired Number
Retired Number

Location: In a world where admitting to not knowing something is considered a great way to learn.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 06, 2017 7:08 pm    Post subject:

Try cetirizine hydrochloride it's a OTC medication. If you buy it talk to the pharmacist about how to use if and how to get the best results from it's use.

America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we falter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves.
PLATNUM
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Nov 06, 2017 8:47 pm    Post subject:

I've noticed that I'll get HORRIBLE sinus pressure and headaches when there are extreme temperature swings. It recently went from hot to cold last week and this weekend I was in bed with a debilitating headache all day Sunday. Sounds funny to say I was on bedrest for a headache, but those who have had them, know.

I USED TO shave my head a few years back and seemed to get the headaches A LOT more frequently. I've since grown my hair out and have noticed that I get them less now... although I have also changed my diet a bit and started a workout routine. Not sure if there is any correlation, but I only get the headaches MAYBE every other month now, instead of like every other week.

I will take HOT showers, drink some tea and wear a beanie and scarf around my neck to keep warm, and that will alleviate the headache some. For the congestion, I have a humidifier and gargle with warm salt water.
focus
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Nov 07, 2017 11:52 am    Post subject:

How often were you doing one or more of these per day?

Saline Nasal Mist Sprays
Salt Water Nasal Rinse
NetiPot
leor_77
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Nov 07, 2017 1:39 pm    Post subject:

I had horrible issues similar to yours - at first, I did radiofrequency ablation to my turbinates; I then did a septo. with further turbinate reduction. At first, I wondered if the surgery worked, because I was still having issues...but then, I just gave it more time, and it's never really been an issue for me again.
LakesGnrLake
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Nov 07, 2017 2:48 pm    Post subject:

LakerLanny wrote:
I feel for you OP.

I got my nose broken playing basketball (intentionally by a thug) in my 20's and my sinuses have never been the same.

I struggle daily with sinus headaches behind my eyes, there are things that help me such as advil cold and sinus in the red box (behind the counter at the pharmacy, but no rx required) and the big boy 800 mg ibuprofen pills which reduce the swelling which is usually the cause of the problem.

nose got busted during spring football (no helmets) amd ive had a deviated septum ever since. Ive just grown accustomed to breathing out of one nostril on most days. I have noticed when i work out and get a sweat going i can breathe much better but if i get a cold i become a mouth breather. Anyways...Mucinex or whatever its called and steaming hot showers normally fix me up for a few hours.
numero-ocho
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Nov 07, 2017 3:02 pm    Post subject:

Since you're already going to see an allergist, hopefully they'll check for food allergies. Many people have them but don't realize it because immediate symptoms can be minor and build up over time. In some cases like mine, I didn't develop the allergy until I was an adult.

I consumed lots of dairy foods when I was young but when I got into my mid-20s, I'd get stuffed up whenever I consumed them. Since then, I've tried to eliminate dairy from my diet. It's not a common allergy. You tell most people you don't consume dairy and they automatically think you're talking about lactose intolerance which is not the same thing.
Huey Lewis & The News
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Nov 07, 2017 3:11 pm    Post subject:

What's your zodiac sign?
numero-ocho
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Nov 07, 2017 3:23 pm    Post subject:

Huey Lewis & The News wrote:
What's your zodiac sign?

Is that you Tor Eckman?

https://youtu.be/uH5IMv2jeuk?t=1m
R-Tistic
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Nov 07, 2017 3:45 pm    Post subject:

I'm always having problems. Runny nose, coughing, sneezing.

I hate that everyone always suggests vitamins and Airbourne as a way to prevent it, when those aren't proven to fix or help a single thing.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Reply with quote
LakerFan87
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Nov 07, 2017 4:23 pm    Post subject:

focus wrote:

Saline Nasal Mist Sprays
Salt Water Nasal Rinse
NetiPot

I was doing the mist spray as often as I felt I needed to.

I have been doing salt water rinse/netipot once a day per doctor's instruction, though from what I've read, it's safe to do multiple times a day.
focus
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Nov 07, 2017 4:44 pm    Post subject:

LakerFan87 wrote:
focus wrote:

Saline Nasal Mist Sprays
Salt Water Nasal Rinse
NetiPot

I have been doing salt water rinse/netipot once a day per doctor's instruction, though from what I've read, it's safe to do multiple times a day.

Since you've tried everything else, give at least twice a day netipot/rinse a shot for a 3 plus consecutive days to test, and see if you notice any decrease at all i.e. not a resolution, just less. This is after you've gotten rid of excess dust, washed your beddings, especially pillowcases. Given your issue's severity, this is just to see whether it makes a difference. It's easy enough to do, and though I am no medical pro, it might be worth a shot. Along maybe with reducing dairy if you can in your particular situation.
LakerLanny
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Nov 07, 2017 6:15 pm    Post subject:

focus wrote:
LakerFan87 wrote:
focus wrote:

Saline Nasal Mist Sprays
Salt Water Nasal Rinse
NetiPot

Since you've tried everything else, give at least twice a day netipot/rinse a shot for a 3 plus consecutive days to test, and see if you notice any decrease at all i.e. not a resolution, just less. This is after you've gotten rid of excess dust, washed your beddings, especially pillowcases. Given your issue's severity, this is just to see whether it makes a difference. It's easy enough to do, and though I am no medical pro, it might be worth a shot. Along maybe with reducing dairy if you can in your particular situation.

I would recommend a humidifier also.

I started using one about two months ago and one of the reasons I keep using it is I am shocked at how much dirt/dust it is pulling out of the air in my room at night.

My vacuuming has increased a lot since I have seen that, I would urge you to use one if you have not done so already as they are not expensive.
LakerFan87
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Nov 07, 2017 8:16 pm    Post subject:

focus wrote:
LakerFan87 wrote:
focus wrote:

Saline Nasal Mist Sprays
Salt Water Nasal Rinse
NetiPot

I have been avoiding dairy/soda for the past 2 days.

It helps in the sense that it would be worse if I didn't avoid them, but nothing more than that.
LakerFan87
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Nov 07, 2017 8:17 pm    Post subject:

LakerLanny wrote:
focus wrote:
LakerFan87 wrote:
focus wrote:

Saline Nasal Mist Sprays
Salt Water Nasal Rinse
NetiPot

I would recommend a humidifier also.

I started using one about two months ago and one of the reasons I keep using it is I am shocked at how much dirt/dust it is pulling out of the air in my room at night.

My vacuuming has increased a lot since I have seen that, I would urge you to use one if you have not done so already as they are not expensive.

I bought an air purifier for my room that seems to help a little bit.
Goldenwest
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Nov 08, 2017 11:10 am    Post subject:

If you have dairy in your diet cut it out completely for a couple months and see what happens. Meaning cut out milk, cheese, ice cream - all dairy.
focus
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Nov 08, 2017 12:12 pm    Post subject:

LakerFan87 wrote:
focus wrote:
LakerFan87 wrote:
focus wrote:

Saline Nasal Mist Sprays
Salt Water Nasal Rinse
NetiPot

It helps in the sense that it would be worse if I didn't avoid them, but nothing more than that.

How about trying the rinse/netipot more than once a day for a week? (I upped it).

You mention no dairy or soda for '2 days', but that might be too short a window to test things and then gauge their effectiveness. For example, keep up the no dairy and then for seven days do that and also the netipot or rinse (2+/day). If there is some improvement above a 'just a little but not much' level, you may be on to something. Run it by youur ENT's med staff if you like.
Goldenwest
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Nov 08, 2017 1:14 pm    Post subject:

focus wrote:
LakerFan87 wrote:
focus wrote:
LakerFan87 wrote:
focus wrote:

Saline Nasal Mist Sprays
Salt Water Nasal Rinse
NetiPot

How about trying the rinse/netipot more than once a day for a week? (I upped it).

You mention no dairy or soda for '2 days', but that might be too short a window to test things and then gauge their effectiveness. For example, keep up the no dairy and then for seven days do that and also the netipot or rinse (2+/day). If there is some improvement above a 'just a little but not much' level, you may be on to something. Run it by youur ENT's med staff if you like.

2 days off dairy is nothing. Need to be completely off it for about 2 months. Can always substitute in almond or rice milk. But staying off dairy for this extended amount of time (~2 months) is really worth a try.
LakerFan87
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Nov 14, 2017 10:42 pm    Post subject:

I have an update on my situation.

I have been extensively tested for allergies (2 sets of skin prick tests, a blood test, and intra-dermal tests). They all came up negative.

The new ENT I saw today did a CT scan of my sinuses on the spot. My sinuses are perfectly clean and healthy. He said on a scale of 1-10 with 10 being the worst, they are a 1.

Although there is no official diagnosis at the moment, he is convinced that I have a condition known as Laryngopharyngeal Reflux (otherwise known as "LPR" or "Silent Reflux").

Essentially, the bottom opening of my esophagus isn't functioning correctly, which has been allowing stomach acid to get in. The acid isn't staying in my esophagus long enough to burn it, however, which explains why I haven't had any problems with indigestion or heartburn (this apparently is common with LPR patients). Since stuff that shouldn't is getting too high into my esophagus, the central nervous system triggers an alarm so to speak and the mucous factory is turned on, which explains the post nasal drip.

I have been given some Proton Pump Inhibitors to try for a month before my next follow up. If this medication along with the proper dietary modifications don't improve my symptoms, a more thorough exam of my throat and GI tract will be required.

I still have an appointment with my original ENT on Friday. I'll ask for his assessment as well as about potential surgical options.

Thanks everyone for your input and support.
jodeke
Retired Number
Retired Number

Location: In a world where admitting to not knowing something is considered a great way to learn.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 14, 2017 11:07 pm    Post subject:

LakerFan87 wrote:
I have an update on my situation.

I have been extensively tested for allergies (2 sets of skin prick tests, a blood test, and intra-dermal tests). They all came up negative.

The new ENT I saw today did a CT scan of my sinuses on the spot. My sinuses are perfectly clean and healthy. He said on a scale of 1-10 with 10 being the worst, they are a 1.

Although there is no official diagnosis at the moment, he is convinced that I have a condition known as Laryngopharyngeal Reflux (otherwise known as "LPR" or "Silent Reflux").

Essentially, the bottom opening of my esophagus isn't functioning correctly, which has been allowing stomach acid to get in. The acid isn't staying in my esophagus long enough to burn it, however, which explains why I haven't had any problems with indigestion or heartburn (this apparently is common with LPR patients). Since stuff that shouldn't is getting too high into my esophagus, the central nervous system triggers an alarm so to speak and the mucous factory is turned on, which explains the post nasal drip.

I have been given some Proton Pump Inhibitors to try for a month before my next follow up. If this medication along with the proper dietary modifications don't improve my symptoms, a more thorough exam of my throat and GI tract will be required.

I still have an appointment with my original ENT on Friday. I'll ask for his assessment as well as about potential surgical options.

Thanks everyone for your input and support.

Who's your health provider?

America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we falter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Off Topic All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2
Jump to: