Lonzo Ball as shooting guard?
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
JrR31
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Fri Nov 10, 2017 9:59 am    Post subject: Lonzo Ball as shooting guard?

What do you guys think?

He needs to pick up new skills.

We know he can pass the rock and rebound for a PG that's awesome.

But i like too see some plays where he runs off a screen and penetrates.

Cuts baseline for an alley oop. Slash and tear drop that biyotch!

YAH! I like that a lot.
epak
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Nov 10, 2017 10:01 am    Post subject:

I'd do it if the other guard was a play maker and wasn't a liability on the other end. So I say no cuz I dont think we have that other player.
deal
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Nov 10, 2017 10:03 am    Post subject:

Not a good time for new tricks, he needs
to learn his trade at an NBA level. Of course,
P&R’s are part of the game, no harm in running
a few here and there.

Focus must be on PG.
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Nov 10, 2017 10:14 am    Post subject:

If we had another...never mind.
chazz
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Nov 10, 2017 10:15 am    Post subject:

Umm yeah a shooting guard needs to actually be a shooter to be a shooting guard.........

That is why Clarkson sucks at being a pg because he lacks having the ball move when he is at pg

Entertaining though your post
textbook
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Nov 10, 2017 10:23 am    Post subject:

No.

He's a 20 year old rookie point guard that is top 10 in assists playing bad.
unleasHell
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Nov 10, 2017 10:28 am    Post subject:

chazz wrote:
Umm yeah a shooting guard needs to actually be a shooter to be a shooting guard.........

That is why Clarkson sucks at being a pg because he lacks having the ball move when he is at pg

my thoughts as well...!
MIMLaker
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Nov 10, 2017 10:33 am    Post subject: Re: Lonzo Ball as shooting guard?

JrR31 wrote:
What do you guys think?

YAH! I like that a lot.

Not exactly new. Ball did that a LOT at UCLA. Hopefully Luke runs some more lineups with JC (and his improving 3-pt shot - 42.9% so far) and Ball on the floor so he can do just that.
splashmtn
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Nov 10, 2017 10:46 am    Post subject: Re: Lonzo Ball as shooting guard?

JrR31 wrote:
What do you guys think?

YAH! I like that a lot.

at times yes.
but he's a point guard thats shooting guard height and has some sg off ball ability that is not being utilized with our current group or play schemes.

i said this in another thread. is it best for the team to play to ALL of zo's strengths? or is it just better for ZO? we dont know yet.

all of zo's strengths will make him a more efficient scorer. but is that necessary? i dont know it will change how many games we win.

you play him like UCLA played him and his scoring average will go up along with his fg%. every single thing he does can't be him doing it off the dribble. at what point does he get to come off a curl for a non thinking Just shoot moment? hasnt happened in the nba. but thats what he did for UCLA a couple of times per game. when he is going to get that lob pass off the pick or back door cut? hasnt happened once in the nba that i can recall. the pass isnt being thrown even when he does take that curl pick or goes back door. no one notices him. I see it all the time and i see him go "awww. they missed me" every single time. same way i see randle being missed on a few plays and he has that same reaction like dang it. they missed me again.

our young core misses a lot of EASY chances to put the ball in the basket. but thats youth. you live and you learn.
splashmtn
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Nov 10, 2017 10:47 am    Post subject: Re: Lonzo Ball as shooting guard?

MIMLaker wrote:
JrR31 wrote:
What do you guys think?

YAH! I like that a lot.

Not exactly new. Ball did that a LOT at UCLA. Hopefully Luke runs some more lineups with JC (and his improving 3-pt shot - 42.9% so far) and Ball on the floor so he can do just that.
the thing is. it doesnt have to be JC. BI can pass well enough and is enough of a scoring threat to make the same back door lob pass or to hit zo off a curl. but he never does. he gets the ball and its time for him to score and Occasionally pass out if the scoring opportunity isnt there. There is no conscious effort to set zo up. again should their be from a Team wins perspective? i dont know.
splashmtn
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Nov 10, 2017 10:50 am    Post subject:

chazz wrote:

lol at this one. SG is also SCORING guard.

the SG that scores since the PG is there to set the table.

SG is there to put the ball in the basket by any means necessary. shooting is an asset as well. but not the only asset. now as of right now, zo can't make a 1 inch shot. lol. but hey perhaps if you run things for him to score. he might be more efficient. just leaving him to figure out how to beat people off the dribble or create space with his dribble all the time aint going to cut it unless thats all he works on. thats not really his game. sure he can do it a little bit but that was never his game. and it doesnt have to be as long as you know how to run plays for him. not a lot of plays either. just a few here and there.
splashmtn
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Nov 10, 2017 10:56 am    Post subject:

deal wrote:
Not a good time for new tricks, he needs
to learn his trade at an NBA level. Of course,
P&R’s are part of the game, no harm in running
a few here and there.

Focus must be on PG.

but thats another problem. he's learning his trade at the Nba level. who said the only way to play the position is like every other pg in the nba right now? where they are all pretty much shoot first shorter shooting guards with ball handling?

why is that THEE only way to be good at the pg spot? It isnt. it's one way.

those other guys that are killer pgs in the nba that we all love. they all run heavy pick and roll all game long. they dont run a lot of half court stuff to get off unless they're shooters(curry). everything else starts with the screen at the top. literally ALL of their plays are like this. Zo gets to do it at times because luke wants him to learn how to setup a half court offense when the playoffs roll around and people shut down that pick and roll. notice lonzo is best off the pick and roll . something people swore he would suck at. but luke doesnt want him doing that all game long even when its working. luke said it himself. he wants him to learn things even if that means they might lose. this is how luke feels about the entire team. he's trying to instill championship concepts now. so when they are ready skillwise. they will have the IQ to defeat any defense. But while they learn, its going to look ugly.

but one more time i've said it multiple times in this thread. Luke could also take a page out of UCLA and run a handful of plays for ZO. not a lot just a few here and there. that is not happening right now. but it happens for other star players. even the stars get a handful of plays ran for them to get off. thats to keep the defense honest and to make sure the defense can't just load up on their one play which is them going off the dribble every time. but right now it seems as if basketball lessons are a higher priority then putting Zo in a more idea situation to succeed offensively.
Fortysixn2
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Nov 10, 2017 10:59 am    Post subject:

Nah, he's a really good PG who needs the ball in his hands all the time. His problem is that his shot doesn't go down, taking him off ball would take away the thing he does well.
splashmtn
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Nov 10, 2017 11:06 am    Post subject:

textbook wrote:
No.

He's a 20 year old rookie point guard that is top 10 in assists playing bad.
a bad night is 10,8 and 8.

think about that lakers fans. thats a bad night.

most guys that would be shooting as poorly as zo is right now(which he even admitted is getting to be a mental thing more so than mechanics) would not be worth anything in any other category. their entire game would go to hell with their bad shooting. you saw this with DLO, you saw this with nick young a lot. you see this a lot with even some star plays like a Derozan or guys on that level. if that shot aint hittin. they suck. because all of their concentration is on making shots. not playing basketball. ZO, similar to what LO use to say is a...basketball player. He plays the game like he's on the playground. Sure I'm the PG, sure the new age nba pg is the scorer on the team and the assist guy. but whatever. if there's a board to be grabbed I'm 6'7 so I'm grabbing it. if someone needs to get that block. I'm going for it since i am 6'7. the hell with positions. I see a dude about to score. I'm going for the block. So what i just switched onto this 6'11 big man cause luke said switch everything. you wont watch me just concede a basket like most pg's. I'm going to try to front the guy or move around and make it hard for him. the hell with my position. I'm going to play basketball at all times. This is who Zo is. lets say worse case scenario. he cant shoot ever, lets say he has a horrible fg% forever. he will still impact the game moreso than some of the new age pg's that score a lot.

For example. Right now. Zo is more impactful to the lakers than Kyrie was to the Cavs before bron got there. Think about that for a moment. and kyrie had the same crazy handles as he does right now. yes he's gotten better and smarter. he's not the same guy as he use to be. but i'm just stating the facts. You have to pay attention to other things outside of just scoring/fg%. we all want that to go up but if it doesnt what else can you do for me?

some say he's ricky rubio. Nope. i've seen ricky not hit shots and look bad too because other than passing. he couldnt do much else. not so with lonzo. he's a real life all around ball player.

you love to have a guy like this around when the other pieces are on the team. but right now its going to look real ugly since he's the focus. but lets not forget how badly BI looked last year. his shot looked atrocious. his inside game for a guy with that length was terrible. it made no sense for him to brick that much. but he did. and look at him now. he's looking a lot better. and remember BI is naturally more of a scorer than zo is. So you would've thought BI would've been quicker to produce better scoring earlier. but that didnt happen for some reason. so how did BI become the "untouchable guy"? its because magic and crew realized he can impact the game in more ways than just scoring. he plays very good defense as a young player, he makes very savvy plays with the ball in his hands. he doesnt just stand around when he doesnt have the ball. he has that incredible length to rebound with the big boys if need be. an all around basketball player.
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Nov 10, 2017 11:09 am    Post subject:

A shooting guard who can’t shoot. Not a good idea.
splashmtn
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Nov 10, 2017 11:13 am    Post subject:

Fortysixn2 wrote:
Nah, he's a really good PG who needs the ball in his hands all the time. His problem is that his shot doesn't go down, taking him off ball would take away the thing he does well.
you dont take him off the ball all game long. but you do need to do it some times. he's not jason kidd, nash, those types that pounded the ball all game long. he needs to have plays ran for him where he comes off of screens without the ball and the team is looking to hit him for a lob or a jumper around the pick. this helps to keep him from over thinking "should i take this shot..is this a good shot." you know its a good instinctual shot because its a nicely drawn up play for you to do just that.
greenfrog
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Nov 10, 2017 11:15 am    Post subject:

venturalakersfan wrote:

It would be nice to get him some off the ball cuts, though. One of the reasons his percentage is so hideous is that he gets nothing cheap.
JrR31
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Fri Nov 10, 2017 11:21 am    Post subject:

chazz wrote:

This is the only reason why they wont.

We have no PG.

But Lonzo should have plays run for him though.

Instead of PnR where he is top of the perimeter finding players and making plays 99 percent of the time.

I would still like to see him get good looks at the basket.

Find him cutting the lane, run of a curl or posting up a smaller guard or something different. DO something LUKE you POS!

Last edited by JrR31 on Fri Nov 10, 2017 11:23 am; edited 1 time in total
Fracture
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Nov 10, 2017 11:22 am    Post subject:

No, there is no other PG.
JrR31
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Fri Nov 10, 2017 11:28 am    Post subject:

Fracture wrote:
No, there is no other PG.

Then how is he going to pick up new skills to be a versatile guard in the league.

Mike@LG

PostPosted: Fri Nov 10, 2017 11:29 am    Post subject:

Obviously.

Lonzo Ball's play types at UCLA were closely related to Nick Young's as a Laker last season anyway. He's a playmaking 2 in the halfcourt, easily.

This is especially why I didn't want the DAR trade.

https://lakersdraft.substack.com/

I am not an economic advisor nor do I advise economic strategies or plans.
splashmtn
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Nov 10, 2017 11:29 am    Post subject:

greenfrog wrote:
venturalakersfan wrote:

It would be nice to get him some off the ball cuts, though. One of the reasons his percentage is so hideous is that he gets nothing cheap.
This.

how many fast breaks does he get per game? probably like .03

lol. nothing easy. everything is challenged.
GoldenThroat

PostPosted: Fri Nov 10, 2017 11:33 am    Post subject:

He's always been a SG in the half court.
splashmtn
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Nov 10, 2017 11:34 am    Post subject:

Mike@LG wrote:
Obviously.

Lonzo Ball's play types at UCLA were closely related to Nick Young's as a Laker last season anyway. He's a playmaking 2 in the halfcourt, easily.

This is especially why I didn't want the DAR trade.
zo is not a playmaking 2 guard though Mike. he's a real PG that moves the ball along quicker than any pg i have ever seen in history or current day. thats not a shooting guard. thats a PG that wants to hurry up and score the ball before the defense sets up. and no sorry we cant keep dlo and still end up with Kuuz and lopez( a real center).

DLO's defense is just okay and it may never been more than just that he admitted he didnt know how to play defense in HS or college because no one ever required that of him. DLO didnt have the athleticism to keep up with the other quick guys going around screens. that was never going to change.

Zo's defense has picked up a bit more than i thought it would this early in the season. but still. i would not trust my defense with a backcourt of DLO and ZO. you're looking more like portland. no thanks. all cute scoring and no one can guard anyone.

Zo just needs the coach to run actual plays for him from time to time. we have guys that can deliver the pass on the team right now. you dont need Dlo. randle, BI, and Clarkson can make that pass for a cutting back dooring ZO. BI, randle, Clarkson can hit Zo off a curl play for a jumper. These same 3 guys were doing that for DLO and Nick young last year. they can do the same occasionally for zo right now. but again thats up to luke. if luke thinks doing that will help the team overall then he should do it. if he knows that will help zo's numbers but thats it. then dont do it.
splashmtn
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Nov 10, 2017 11:35 am    Post subject:

GoldenThroat wrote:
He's always been a SG in the half court.
again, not true at all. just because he gets off the ball fast doesnt mean he isnt a pg. he's just not your normal pound the ball pg. he's still not looking to score like that, not even in the half court. he will score in moments. thats not a SG. thats a PG that can put the ball in the basket if need be.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 1 of 5
Jump to: