Team Stats & Rankings (Through First 48 Games - 01/27/2018)
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 8, 9, 10 ... 13, 14, 15  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
VicXLakers
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Nov 07, 2017 5:06 pm    Post subject:

epak wrote:
70sdude wrote:
Yeah, coming into the preseason there were concerns about how the Lakers seemed poorly built in terms of 3P%, both for and against. The concerns were well founded, to this point. The Laker defense is looking better in other ways, so given time (i.e., player development and seasoning, an acquisition of a deep range sharpshooter), the 3P-related improvements may come. I can wait.

After 10 games, 3pt %:

Lopez: 40% (4.5 3pa)
JC: 39.3% (2.8 3pa)
BI: 38.9% (1.8 3pa)
Kuzma: 33.3% (3.9 3pa)
KCP: 31.4% (4.4 3pa)
Lonzo: 23.4% (4.7 3pa)
Hart: 22.2% (1.0 3pa)

I think if KCP and Lonzo either make more 3s, or take less 3s, their 3pt average will be in a good place. Hopefully the former happens.

I'm loving Lopez's and JC's numbers on 3s.

mhan00
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Nov 07, 2017 11:55 pm    Post subject:

Megaton wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:
Megaton wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:
We still have a shaky backup situation if Lonzo is out. He's only 19 so I was surprised we didn't get a more established backup PG with the room exception.

Ennis is such garbage. I'd rather have Vander Blue replace him. He's actually passing more now.

Surprised we didn't go after Jameer Nelson like the Pelicans did. He would have been great for 8-12 mins.

Yeah. We still have the room exception just in case. Not sure Ennis/Caruso will cut it.

And just to add more salt to the wound, guess who's killing it in Europe?

Matt Thomas: 16 ppg, 59% FG, 62% 3P, 92% FT.

Cold as Ice Thomas is still do this day killing it from deep. The real player that should have gotten the two way contract.

Him over Brewer and Ennis easily at least.

I remember reading somewhere that the Lakers tried to sign Thomas to a two way, but he opted for better money overseas.
Omar Little

PostPosted: Wed Nov 08, 2017 12:10 am    Post subject:

mhan00 wrote:
Megaton wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:
Megaton wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:
We still have a shaky backup situation if Lonzo is out. He's only 19 so I was surprised we didn't get a more established backup PG with the room exception.

Ennis is such garbage. I'd rather have Vander Blue replace him. He's actually passing more now.

Surprised we didn't go after Jameer Nelson like the Pelicans did. He would have been great for 8-12 mins.

Yeah. We still have the room exception just in case. Not sure Ennis/Caruso will cut it.

And just to add more salt to the wound, guess who's killing it in Europe?

Matt Thomas: 16 ppg, 59% FG, 62% 3P, 92% FT.

Cold as Ice Thomas is still do this day killing it from deep. The real player that should have gotten the two way contract.

Him over Brewer and Ennis easily at least.

I remember reading somewhere that the Lakers tried to sign Thomas to a two way, but he opted for better money overseas.

Yup
AllorNothing
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Nov 08, 2017 9:39 pm    Post subject:

#5 in defensive rating after tonight!
LakerSanity

PostPosted: Thu Nov 09, 2017 7:54 am    Post subject:

Updated as of last night's game. We're up to #5 in defensive efficiency, but down to #28 in offensive efficiency.

Twitter: @DeleteThisPost
durden-tyler
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Nov 09, 2017 8:17 am    Post subject:

Is the sample size too small or can we say we are legit defensively ?

Also, the Warriors offense is ridiculous, 62.8 TS% as a team ?
Gimme_the_rock
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

Location: Looking outta the window, watching the asphalt grow ...

PostPosted: Thu Nov 09, 2017 8:25 am    Post subject:

LakerSanity wrote:
Updated as of last night's game. We're up to #5 in defensive efficiency, but down to #28 in offensive efficiency.

Call me crazy but I prefer this over the opposite being true.

I think our offense will definitely come and go but it's the defense that's going to keep us in games. We really had little business making a hotly contested game of it at times last night save for our defensive tenacity. The shots will hopefully start dropping and that should provide a nice sketch of what might potentially be if an all start joins us next season. Otherwise, we look like last year.
greenfrog
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Nov 09, 2017 10:05 am    Post subject:

Passes Made Per Game Update: 270.5 (27th). The only teams worse are Charlotte, Washington, and OKC.
ingle
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Thu Nov 09, 2017 10:17 am    Post subject:

Gimme_the_rock wrote:
LakerSanity wrote:

Call me crazy but I prefer this over the opposite being true.

I think our offense will definitely come and go but it's the defense that's going to keep us in games. We really had little business making a hotly contested game of it at times last night save for our defensive tenacity. The shots will hopefully start dropping and that should provide a nice sketch of what might potentially be if an all start joins us next season. Otherwise, we look like last year.

Agree on that

I still think we're underutilizing Lopez, we can't have KCP shooting fadeaway 20 footers early in the shot clock when Brook (a career 50%+ shooter) doesn't even touch the ball.

Defense is looking like it's definitely for real though, guys all playing hard on that end even the rooks
TooMuchMajicBuss
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

Location: In a white room, with black curtains near the station

PostPosted: Thu Nov 09, 2017 11:45 am    Post subject:

Unfortunately ( or fortunately ) I missed the Boston game, so I can only go off box score, but the Lakers held the C's shooting percentage way down.

The Lakers can keep a lot of teams in striking distance so far with this kind of defense. I hope it stays this way when Lonzo gets over his rookie cold shooting slump. That and cutting down turnovers, we'd be a decent team. We could actually pull that Magic free agent magnet out and test it if we keep it up.
Dr. Funkbot
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Nov 09, 2017 3:17 pm    Post subject:

TooMuchMajicBuss wrote:
Unfortunately ( or fortunately ) I missed the Boston game, so I can only go off box score, but the Lakers held the C's shooting percentage way down.

The Lakers can keep a lot of teams in striking distance so far with this kind of defense. I hope it stays this way when Lonzo gets over his rookie cold shooting slump. That and cutting down turnovers, we'd be a decent team. We could actually pull that Magic free agent magnet out and test it if we keep it up.

IMO it was the Cetlics offensive rebounding that won the game for them. The Lakers played great D and held the hated ones to a low shooting %, but dang it we just kept giving them second and third opportunities.
epak
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Nov 09, 2017 3:23 pm    Post subject:

TooMuchMajicBuss wrote:

Man, our defense allowed us to get within 1 point in the 2nd half.
Came up a bit short :\
But loving that we're still 5th in D.
LakerSanity

PostPosted: Fri Nov 10, 2017 8:41 am    Post subject:

Updated. Still tied for 6th in defensive efficiency, but our offense is sucking. Assist rate went down, as did Ast:TO ratio. We are by far the worst 3pt shooting team in the league at 29.0% - the next worst team, the Bulls, shoots 32.8% from 3.

Don Draper
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Nov 10, 2017 10:46 am    Post subject:

LakerSanity wrote:
Updated. Still tied for 6th in defensive efficiency, but our offense is sucking. Assist rate went down, as did Ast:TO ratio. We are by far the worst 3pt shooting team in the league at 29.0% - the next worst team, the Bulls, shoots 32.8% from 3.

Jesus
splashmtn
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Nov 10, 2017 11:27 am    Post subject:

LakerSanity wrote:
Interesting stat - Houston leads the league in 3pt attempts at around 45 per game (we are 26th at 24 per game), yet is 26th in 3pt% (at 30.3%). Despite that fact, Houston is currently sitting at the 10th best offense in the league. I think we need to take more 3pt shots - it will make our offense better and, hopefully, develop our guys into better 3pt shooters.

If we can increase our team-wide 3pt% to around 31-32% (say top 25 in the league) and decrease out TOs by 2-3 per game, our offense will jump.

I'd really like to see where we rank Re: points off turnovers. Seems like that is killing us every game.
the only issue with increasing the 3's before we learn how to really shoot it (Zo, BI, Randle), is that it will result in more long rebounds aka more runouts for the opponent. making our defense worse. Remember that before you ask for more threes with our non shooters shooting them.

asking for more threes from DLO, Nick young, and Lou will is one thing. but asking team bricklayers (zo, Bi, and randle) to chuck more isnt going to mean more makes and a better %. They dont know how to shoot well enough yet to shoot more. more is not better just because its...more.
epak
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Nov 10, 2017 12:10 pm    Post subject:

splashmtn wrote:
LakerSanity wrote:
Interesting stat - Houston leads the league in 3pt attempts at around 45 per game (we are 26th at 24 per game), yet is 26th in 3pt% (at 30.3%). Despite that fact, Houston is currently sitting at the 10th best offense in the league. I think we need to take more 3pt shots - it will make our offense better and, hopefully, develop our guys into better 3pt shooters.

If we can increase our team-wide 3pt% to around 31-32% (say top 25 in the league) and decrease out TOs by 2-3 per game, our offense will jump.

I'd really like to see where we rank Re: points off turnovers. Seems like that is killing us every game.
the only issue with increasing the 3's before we learn how to really shoot it (Zo, BI, Randle), is that it will result in more long rebounds aka more runouts for the opponent. making our defense worse. Remember that before you ask for more threes with our non shooters shooting them.

asking for more threes from DLO, Nick young, and Lou will is one thing. but asking team bricklayers (zo, Bi, and randle) to chuck more isnt going to mean more makes and a better %. They dont know how to shoot well enough yet to shoot more. more is not better just because its...more.

Is this true?
I thought it was proven false by stats last year? Anyone recall?
LakerSD
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Nov 10, 2017 12:29 pm    Post subject:

https://twitter.com/lakerfilmroom/status/929076859815395329

On open and wide open looks...smh. Need shooters desperately.
epak
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Nov 10, 2017 12:43 pm    Post subject:

LakerSD wrote:
https://twitter.com/lakerfilmroom/status/929076859815395329

On open and wide open looks...smh. Need shooters desperately.

I'd say the offense isn't the problem.
But the shooters are?

Still thinking guys will improve their shot. But having a reliable 3 point shooter would be nice.
danzag
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Nov 10, 2017 12:53 pm    Post subject:

LakerSanity wrote:

Damn. Our defense alone will keep us around the 35 wins mark this year, but we will never go to the playoffs if our rookies keep shooting like this.
LakerSanity

PostPosted: Fri Nov 10, 2017 12:58 pm    Post subject:

I blame the coaching staff and their inability to develop players for our 3pt shooting. Sometimes you need to fail before you can succeed. Randle and Ingram should be letting it fly. Can't get better without practice.

The Juggernaut
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Nov 10, 2017 2:18 pm    Post subject:

LakerSanity wrote:
I blame the coaching staff and their inability to develop players for our 3pt shooting. Sometimes you need to fail before you can succeed. Randle and Ingram should be letting it fly. Can't get better without practice.

100% the coaching staffs fault. Who the hell is our shooting coach and why hasn't he been fired yet? This isn't 1993 you can't just win games off defense while shooting 29% from 3.

Does anyone have the teams 3 pt % not including Lonzo?
LakerSanity

PostPosted: Fri Nov 10, 2017 2:29 pm    Post subject:

^30.5%... still dead last in the league.

danzag
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Nov 10, 2017 2:41 pm    Post subject:

LakerSanity wrote:

Totally. Ingram, Randle and Nance should shoot at least 4 per game.
Hye4life
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Fri Nov 10, 2017 3:31 pm    Post subject:

Whats the opponents 3 pt %?
LakerSanity

PostPosted: Fri Nov 10, 2017 3:41 pm    Post subject:

Hye4life wrote:
Whats the opponents 3 pt %?

There are a variety of places where you can go look that up and maybe contribute what you've learned with the rest of us?

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 8, 9, 10 ... 13, 14, 15  Next
Page 9 of 15
Jump to: