College football
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 25, 26, 27 ... 75, 76, 77  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
adkindo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Nov 10, 2017 10:37 pm    Post subject:

PAC12 is likely done....Stanford beating Washington 30-14 in the 4th.
adkindo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Nov 11, 2017 2:51 pm    Post subject:

#1 Georgia is in trouble....down 23-7 early in the 3rd.
LakerLanny
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Nov 11, 2017 4:10 pm    Post subject:

Georgia Bulldogs play like dogs and get hammered bad by Auburn.

One SEC team only in 4 team playoff, no two team BS.
ChickenStu
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Nov 11, 2017 4:21 pm    Post subject:

LakerLanny wrote:

If a 1-loss Georgia were to beat an undefeated Alabama in the SEC Championship Game, my guess is that they would take both of them in the CFP. That said, I can't imagine Georgia beating Alabama.
rwongega
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Nov 11, 2017 7:38 pm    Post subject:

Had tickets to the UCLA-ASU game. Decided to sell them to recoup the lost gains of the Dodgers Game 7 debacle. Thanks to Jim Mora's incompetence, the stadium is mostly empty, there are 2 planes flying Fire Mora banners, and the ASU cheers are very audible.

Was rooting for Mississippi St. for the upset but they folded down the stretch.

RIP Jonathan Tang
RIP Alex Gruenberg

Free KBCB
adkindo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Nov 12, 2017 7:41 pm    Post subject:

LakerLanny wrote:

Georgia still pretty much controls their destiny.....and if 'Bama wins the Iron Bowl, they are in....think you are jumping the gun.

Actually, Georgia, Auburn and Alabama probably control their own destiny....would not be shocked if two of them find their way into the playoffs.
Huskers
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Mon Nov 13, 2017 10:20 am    Post subject:

rwongega wrote:
Had tickets to the UCLA-ASU game. Decided to sell them to recoup the lost gains of the Dodgers Game 7 debacle. Thanks to Jim Mora's incompetence, the stadium is mostly empty, there are 2 planes flying Fire Mora banners, and the ASU cheers are very audible.

If UCLA needs a coach, I may have a solution for you. A coach that really knows the Pac12, good with the media, and is a super nice guy. Nebraska doesn't need him anymore. We'd be more than happy to let him lead UCLA.
dcastillo
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Nov 14, 2017 8:24 am    Post subject:

adkindo wrote:
LakerLanny wrote:

Georgia still pretty much controls their destiny.....and if 'Bama wins the Iron Bowl, they are in....think you are jumping the gun.

Actually, Georgia, Auburn and Alabama probably control their own destiny....would not be shocked if two of them find their way into the playoffs.

This.
rwongega
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Nov 14, 2017 8:57 am    Post subject:

Huskers wrote:
rwongega wrote:

If UCLA needs a coach, I may have a solution for you. A coach that really knows the Pac12, good with the media, and is a super nice guy. Nebraska doesn't need him anymore. We'd be more than happy to let him lead UCLA.

We have one too. You're welcome to have him. We'll even toss in a strength and conditioning coach who has fought P Diddy and trips opposing players! Granted he doesn't do his job because players are always injured and QB's are tossing DLinemen like ragdolls, much less RB's.

RIP Jonathan Tang
RIP Alex Gruenberg

Free KBCB
Huskers
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Tue Nov 14, 2017 10:15 am    Post subject:

rwongega wrote:
Huskers wrote:
rwongega wrote:

We have one too. You're welcome to have him. We'll even toss in a strength and conditioning coach who has fought P Diddy and trips opposing players! Granted he doesn't do his job because players are always injured and QB's are tossing DLinemen like ragdolls, much less RB's.

So much smoke about the prodigal son returning soon to right the program, that I don't think we need a coach. That said Mora, is a decent coach, would be an upgrade over what we have now.
rwongega
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Nov 14, 2017 1:54 pm    Post subject:

Huskers wrote:
rwongega wrote:
Huskers wrote:
rwongega wrote:

So much smoke about the prodigal son returning soon to right the program, that I don't think we need a coach. That said Mora, is a decent coach, would be an upgrade over what we have now.

Moron has a pattern. Do well but not that well in the first 2 or 3 seasons, then plummet to bottom of the barrel afterwards. Buyer be warned. The team, even when it was good and filled with solid players that Neuheisel recruited, was utterly undisciplined (have we ever not been in the top 5 of most penalized), vanilla, and unclutch.

RIP Jonathan Tang
RIP Alex Gruenberg

Free KBCB
adkindo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Nov 14, 2017 9:23 pm    Post subject:

Updated CFP Rankings:

1. Alabama
2. Clemson
3. Miami
4. Oklahoma
5. Wisconsin
6. Auburn
7. Georgia
8. Notre Dame
9. Ohio State
10.Penn State
ChickenStu
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Nov 15, 2017 6:58 am    Post subject:

adkindo wrote:
Updated CFP Rankings:

1. Alabama
2. Clemson
3. Miami
4. Oklahoma
5. Wisconsin
6. Auburn
7. Georgia
8. Notre Dame
9. Ohio State
10.Penn State

Your point about the SEC essentially having 3 teams control their own destinies is correct, at least in my view. Alabama is already in. If they lose to Auburn and then are just sitting there with their only loss being to the #6 team, they are still getting in, based on their body of work, and then the Auburn/Georgia winner would also get in. And if Alabama lost the SEC title game after a win against Auburn, once again, their only loss would be to a top 6 team. Obviously, if Auburn loses the Iron Bowl, they are out, but if they win 2 in a row to win the SEC title, they'll get in. And if Georgia wins the SEC over either 'Bama or Auburn, they are getting in. This is because one of Clemson/Miami has to lose another game, and even a 2-loss SEC champ Auburn would get in over a 1-loss non-conference champ Miami. And if Clemson loses a second game, they, too, would be on the short end of the Auburn stick, or certainly a 1-loss Georgia stick.

This is also why Oklahoma is, at worst, going to be the #3 team if they win out, meaning they likely avoid Alabama in the CFP semifinal (because I still think 'Bama wins out). The Clemson/Miami winner is likely #2, with the loser possibly out completely...but maybe not, especially if it's a 1-loss Miami. If Wisconsin loses in the Big 10 title game, they are going to be out of it because their non-conference schedule was so weak. Assuming that 'Bama wins their final 2, a 1-loss Miami will still be ahead of 3-loss Auburn and 2-loss Georgia. At that point, I think it would likely come down to 1-loss Miami (as a non-conference champ) vs. 2-loss Ohio St., assuming they won the Big 10. I think that would be an interesting debate. Ohio St.'s loss to Iowa was really bad, and they'd have 2 losses to Miami's one. So how much stock would be put into the Buckeyes' status as a conference champion there? My personal feeling would be that Miami should get the nod if their loss to Clemson was a narrow one. And if it's Miami that beats Clemson and if it came down to 2-loss Ohio St. and 2-loss Clemson (and possibly even 2-loss USC), I think Ohio St. would and should get that spot.
Aeneas Hunter
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Nov 15, 2017 7:49 am    Post subject:

Yes, I think Alabama is already in, unless somehow they get upset by Mercer. Wisconsin has a clear path, though most of us expect them to go down to Michigan and/or Ohio State.

Having said that, what if we get this scenario:

Alabama beats Auburn.
Georgia wins the SEC title game over Alabama.
Wisconsin wins out, beating Michigan and Ohio State.
Miami beats Clemson.
OU wins out

Wisconsin and Miami are undefeated, so they have to be in. So you have Alabama, Georgia, and OU. Who gets left out? I think OU gets screwed, but the pressure would be intense to boot Alabama.
Huskers
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Wed Nov 15, 2017 10:21 am    Post subject:

Aeneas Hunter wrote:
Yes, I think Alabama is already in, unless somehow they get upset by Mercer. Wisconsin has a clear path, though most of us expect them to go down to Michigan and/or Ohio State.

Alabama beats Auburn.
Miami beats Clemson.
OU wins out

Wisconsin and Miami are undefeated, so they have to be in. So you have Alabama, Georgia, and OU. Who gets left out? I think OU gets screwed, but the pressure would be intense to boot Alabama.

More fun, what if Auburn wins out, Ohio State wins the Big Ten and TCU wins the Big 12, all very plausible to happen. Auburn beats Bama, and beats Georgia again. Would Auburn make the playoffs with 2 losses? Would a 2 loss OSU go? Who else would go? Would you then take a 1 loss Bama that didn't even win their division? 2 loss conference champ TCU? or a 2 loss OU? Would Washington or ND get back in the mix? The only sure thing right now in that scenario would be Miami.
DaMuleRules
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Nov 15, 2017 7:29 pm    Post subject:

One more win and a Toledo loss and the NIU Huskies are in the MAC Championship Game!
goes up in flames
In 24 frames

Jason Isbell

Man, do those lyrics resonate right now
Aeneas Hunter
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Nov 16, 2017 6:10 am    Post subject:

Huskers wrote:
Aeneas Hunter wrote:

Alabama beats Auburn.
Miami beats Clemson.
OU wins out

More fun, what if Auburn wins out, Ohio State wins the Big Ten and TCU wins the Big 12, all very plausible to happen. Auburn beats Bama, and beats Georgia again. Would Auburn make the playoffs with 2 losses? Would a 2 loss OSU go? Who else would go? Would you then take a 1 loss Bama that didn't even win their division? 2 loss conference champ TCU? or a 2 loss OU? Would Washington or ND get back in the mix? The only sure thing right now in that scenario would be Miami.

Hmm. I would say Miami, Auburn, Ohio State, and Alabama.
LakerLanny
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Nov 16, 2017 7:34 am    Post subject:

I don't like two teams in from one conference.

Winning your conference should be a pre-requisite to qualifying in my opinion.
Aeneas Hunter
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Nov 16, 2017 8:15 am    Post subject:

LakerLanny wrote:

I agree with you in principle, but there are two problems with that:

1. The conferences are irrational and unbalanced.

2. Because of #1, the conference championship games take on too much importance.

The Pac 12 has been a junk conference for a long time (sorry, but it’s true). The Big 12 is barely even a conference. The Big 10 West and SEC East are junk. The point is that if you let the conference structure and the championship games dictate the playoff, it’s just a matter of time before some 8-4 team wins a fluke national championship while some 11-1 team watches on TV. Oh, and the 11-1 team will probably have beaten the 8-4 team 35-7 during the regular season.

The eight team format is the answer. 5 conference champions and 3 wild cards, with 1 wild card reserved for the highest ranked G5 team in the top 20. I believe that it will happen.
LakerLanny
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Nov 16, 2017 5:18 pm    Post subject:

Aeneas Hunter wrote:

The Pac 12 has been a junk conference for a long time (sorry, but it’s true).

I gotta disagree with you on this one AH.

I think the Pac 12 overall is way deeper than a lot of the other conferences year in and year out. There are some bad programs at times, but teams like Kentucky, Vanderbilt, Tennessee are down for years at a time.

It is almost impossible to run the Table in the Pac 12, the conference is too deep and you are bound to have a bad week.
lakersken80
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Nov 16, 2017 6:45 pm    Post subject:

Aeneas Hunter wrote:
LakerLanny wrote:

I agree with you in principle, but there are two problems with that:

1. The conferences are irrational and unbalanced.

2. Because of #1, the conference championship games take on too much importance.

The Pac 12 has been a junk conference for a long time (sorry, but it’s true). The Big 12 is barely even a conference. The Big 10 West and SEC East are junk. The point is that if you let the conference structure and the championship games dictate the playoff, it’s just a matter of time before some 8-4 team wins a fluke national championship while some 11-1 team watches on TV. Oh, and the 11-1 team will probably have beaten the 8-4 team 35-7 during the regular season.

The eight team format is the answer. 5 conference champions and 3 wild cards, with 1 wild card reserved for the highest ranked G5 team in the top 20. I believe that it will happen.

Let me guess the SEC West is the toughest conference in college football?
That fallacy was exposed when they went to a 4 team playoff...
Apparently the circular logic of SEC teams being the best teams in college football, so even if they had 1 loss they should still play each other in the national title game was exposed.
Probably the big winner in the college football playoff system was the re-emergence of the ACC.
adkindo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Nov 17, 2017 12:57 am    Post subject:

LakerLanny wrote:
Aeneas Hunter wrote:

The Pac 12 has been a junk conference for a long time (sorry, but it’s true).

I gotta disagree with you on this one AH.

I think the Pac 12 overall is way deeper than a lot of the other conferences year in and year out. There are some bad programs at times, but teams like Kentucky, Vanderbilt, Tennessee are down for years at a time.

It is almost impossible to run the Table in the Pac 12, the conference is too deep and you are bound to have a bad week.

It's not deeper than the SEC, ACC, Big12, or Big10....but yeah, besides those conferences, it is one of the deeper conferences.

The PAC12 is mediocre at the top, soft in the middle, and terrible at the bottom in recent years.
adkindo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Nov 17, 2017 1:14 am    Post subject:

Aeneas Hunter wrote:

Alabama beats Auburn.
Miami beats Clemson.
OU wins out

In my view, it is easy....

1. Miami
2. Oklahoma
3. Georgia
4. Alabama

Wisconsin simply has to be on the outside looking in with their garbage schedule. The only thing that would change my mind is if they win by large margins against Michigan and Minnesota....then dominate Ohio State....cannot be any 7 or 13 point wins to make up for their resume....or lack of one.

Before they beat Iowa (3-4 Big10) this weekend, one could argue the toughest team they had beat was FAU or Northwestern (who got destroyed by Duke). The worst part about it is they will get "credit" for a quality win against Michigan....but Michigan has not beat a single quality opponent this season.

In contrast Miami would have wins over Virginia Tech, Notre Dame and Clemson.

Bama would have quality wins over LSU, Mississippi State and Auburn.

UGA would have wins over ND, Mississippi State, and Alabama.

and Oklahoma would have wins over Ohio State, TCU, Oklahoma State and WVU (will likely be ranked when they play). On top of that, they would have an additional win over TCU or OK State in Big12 Championship game.

Oklahoma has more quality wins than any other team in your scenario, and could not be left out.
ChickenStu
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Nov 17, 2017 4:03 am    Post subject:

^
Damn, this really is an interesting scenario, if it basically came down to an undefeated Big 10 champ Wisconsin vs. a 1-loss Big 12 champ Oklahoma, because, despite what you say, I think OU would be #4 at best in your scenario. Even though Alabama would be a non-conference champ, I simply don't think the committee would think for a second that they shouldn't be included, unless their team lost so badly to Georgia that it was embarrassing, or unless they suffered a truly damaging injury during that loss, say to Jalen Hurts. So for me, it really would come down to Wisconsin vs. OU.

While I think you can make the argument that Wisconsin wouldn't be one of the 4 best teams, it might be tough for the committee to leave out an undefeated major conference champion. Not when, in this scenario, 3 teams would have 1-loss. And I know, I know: they say the only objective is to take the 4 best teams. But I just have a hard time believing it, and Washington got in last season under what I would call similar circumstances. (Last year, there were probably better 2-loss teams out there, and UW, like Wisconsin, had played a creampuff non-conference slate, but they took them anyway. Hell, USC had 3 losses, and does anyone really think UW was a better football team than USC at the end of the year, especially since USC only lost once with Darnold?) Anyway, back to this year: I just think that having 1 fewer loss ends up being monumentally important, particularly when, in the Badgers' case, it would constitute not having lost any games. I think not losing a game would be seen as a big-time accomplishment, even if they wouldn't have as many impressive wins as the other contenders.

Look at it like this: Wisconsin is only 1 spot below OU in the current rankings. If Wisconsin ends up beating a couple of ranked teams from here and wins the Big 10, including beating Ohio State, I think that could be enough for them to jump OU, and it would match OU's biggest win of the year (though I recognize that OU won on their field rather impressively). Then again, OU has at least one more opportunity to beat a ranked team, too.

I also wonder if OU's poor defensive metrics could be held against them in this theoretical debate. I think it would be a fascinating debate, because I do think it would come down to these two teams. The SEC is held in such high regard that I just can't see them not taking a 1-loss Alabama in this scenario, and their defense is light years better than OU's.
Aeneas Hunter
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Nov 17, 2017 6:14 am    Post subject:

lakersken80 wrote:
Let me guess the SEC West is the toughest conference in college football?
That fallacy was exposed when they went to a 4 team playoff...
Apparently the circular logic of SEC teams being the best teams in college football, so even if they had 1 loss they should still play each other in the national title game was exposed.
Probably the big winner in the college football playoff system was the re-emergence of the ACC.

I'm not sure what you mean. I don't know how anyone could seriously argue that the SEC West is not the toughest division in college football.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Off Topic All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 25, 26, 27 ... 75, 76, 77  Next
Page 26 of 77
Jump to: