Official Goodbye LUKE WALTON Thread (Luke/Lakers Part Ways, p. 792, Signs Deal with Kings p. 809)
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 379, 380, 381 ... 816, 817, 818  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
PRLakeShow
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Nov 11, 2017 8:07 pm    Post subject:

FT shooting... what the hell is going on? is this a coaching problem? We don't even have a Hack-A candidate that ruins it. We just suck as a team.
bkim10
Sixth Man
Sixth Man

PostPosted: Sat Nov 11, 2017 8:10 pm    Post subject:

someone tell him he needs to bench JC when he commits like 2-3 turnovers in a row.
epak
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Nov 11, 2017 8:12 pm    Post subject:

C'mon guys. People blame Luke for not playing blue the last lost.
He plays today and he's bad on D and he can't shoot from outside.
Brewer sucks on O. Hart sucks on O.
By the way, where was he?

Our 8th and 9th players and on simply suck.
And our best players aren't all star level to carry these bums.
AllorNothing
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Nov 11, 2017 8:14 pm    Post subject:

epak wrote:

Maybe have Caruso bring up the ball.
RoyalPurple8
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Sat Nov 11, 2017 8:17 pm    Post subject:

Proud of this team and their effort, no complaints.
epak
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Nov 11, 2017 8:18 pm    Post subject:

You know what I hate? We're on the road, and you expect rookies to struggle and our vets to carry us, but the lakers have to rely on their rooks cuz the rest of the team suck when the opposition plays defense.
Truck Turner
Star Player
Star Player

RoyalPurple8 wrote:
Proud of this team and their effort, no complaints.

I think people are forgetting just how bad the team looked last year. This year they're staying competitive and the losses are to teams that will be in the playoffs.
greenfrog
Retired Number
Retired Number

Inspector Gadget wrote:
lol putting in Blue was a desperate move, can't wait until this clown is gone.

TheBlackMamba
Star Player
Star Player

epak wrote:

Exactly. He's been inflexible at times in the past, but he tried to change things up today (Jules played 27 minutes, no Hart, tried Blue, Brewer played much less, no Bogut) and people are still complaining. It's not like we have this All-Star roster full of easy, available solutions to our every problem. Also what's he supposed to do about the missed FTs and bone-headed turnovers? There are games that Luke has blown singlehandedly, but I just don't think this is one of them.
greenfrog
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Nov 11, 2017 8:20 pm    Post subject:

TheBlackMamba wrote:
epak wrote:

Exactly. He's been inflexible at times in the past, but he tried to change things up today (Jules played 27 minutes, no Hart, tried Blue, Brewer played much less, no Bogut) and people are still complaining. It's not like we have this All-Star roster full of easy, available solutions to our every problem. Also what's he supposed to do about the missed FTs and bone-headed turnovers? There are games that Luke has blown singlehandedly, but I just don't think this is one of them.

I can't even get mad at him for playing Brewer.
mhan00
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Nov 11, 2017 8:22 pm    Post subject:

Biggest knock on Luke this road trip was the idiotic maneuver to put Bogut and Brewer in against Boston. Squandered a game we could have stolen with Horford and later Tatum out by putting in the zero offense and mediocre defense duo. The last two games were always going to be extremely difficult for us, especially Washington after the embarrassment they suffered due to the Gortat tweets.
RoyalPurple8
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Sat Nov 11, 2017 8:22 pm    Post subject:

LOL at LG nit picking and expecting the Sun with a team that has NO ALLSTARS. Come on guys at the moment our team is just not very good, they are overachieving even. What is there to whine about really?
RoyalPurple8
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Sat Nov 11, 2017 8:24 pm    Post subject:

LOL at LG for acting like every game is the playoffs, 12 games into the season. If we have to do that my friends, we obviously just suck. That is not even a knock, this team is on its way. Just too young right now.
TheBlackMamba
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Nov 11, 2017 8:25 pm    Post subject:

We're in every game because of our defense, so it's natural to expect to win every night now when we're so close, and get frustrated when the offense lets us down. But don't forget that Luke and the rest of the coaching staff should also get credit for that defense, without which we've looked way, way worse in previous years and wouldn't even be in any of these games.

It's been 13 games now. Personally, I'll wait a little longer for the offensive execution to come around (especially on the road) as they get more acclimated to the plays we're running and each other. To me, Luke's earned enough leeway with the defensive turnaround for the fans not to be calling for his head 13 games in.
Kava
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Nov 11, 2017 8:30 pm    Post subject:

RoyalPurple8 wrote:
LOL at LG nit picking and expecting the Sun with a team that has NO ALLSTARS. Come on guys at the moment our team is just not very good, they are overachieving even. What is there to whine about really?

This game vs. the Bucks specifically he seemed to leave players in the game that should've been taken out while taking players out when they are semi rolling/hot. First rant on Luke all season - this game he seemed to predetermine when players were going to play/come out regardless of how well/bad they were doing. Same thing folks criticized Mike Brown for, seemed poor at making in game decisions.
LakerSanity

PostPosted: Sat Nov 11, 2017 8:32 pm    Post subject:

It seems to me from watching this game was that Milwaukee likes to trap ball handlers and, otherwise, funnel you into the lane so they can exploit their length in congestion resulting in a deflection/steal or contested/blocked shot. This really fed into both Ingram's and Clarkson's worst habits as ball handlers IMO.

Ingram hasn't progressed enough as a primary ball handler to know what to do with ball pressure in the backcourt. Where he needs to learn to pull out, bringing the defense with him to space the floor, e keeps getting himself trapped and often tries to dribble out of the double team, rather than finding the right pass to create a 4 on 3 situation (like how Kobe used to do). Tonight, his inexperience and lack of ability in that regard, and, fell right into Milwaukee's defensive wheelhouse - that's what they do.

For Clarkson, it was a different type of trap. Again, from what I observed tonight, Milwaukee wants to steer you into the middle of the paint where their length will congest you and force you into a shot block or turn over. Basically, they wanted Clarkson to do exactly what he did and what he normally does - penetrate. So, we saw Clarkson do that and either attempt a difficult shot at the rim or try to drop it off, where it was often deflected or stolen.

This was a game where I would have liked to have seen Clarkson off the ball more as a shooter, especially since he's been stroking it well from long range. We did some of that for KCP where he had success, but you notice that where KCP invoked his inner Clarkson (which KCP does too often for my taste) he had the same problems as Clarkson. Both Clarkson and KCP should have been exclusively off the ball in this game IMO. I would have actually run more offense through Randle (as a facilitator, not scorer) when Ball wasn't in the game.

On that same note, its pretty impressive how well Ball played given that he consistently got to the rim and got into the paint. Randle helped him a lot in that first half on those pick and rolls. However, its also no coincidence that Ball uncharacteristically had 4 TOs too on some lost interior passes once he did penetrate. Again, that's Milwaukee's bread and butter (at least from what I can tell).

All that said, while those are adjustments that should have been made IMO, I don't think they would have been a cure all. It appears Milwaukee's defensive game plan is meant to either create turnover opportunities by ball pressure in the backcourt or force over penetration. In doing so, they leave a lot of room for open shooters to get wide open shots. Of course, we suck at shooting 3s and jumpers, and, on many occasions this game, we gave up open shots, choosing for more penetration instead. As such, while this was a very winnable game that we lost, I really do think, more than anything else, it was lost because of our poor shooting and, consequently, our players' foolhardy attempts to force the issue in other ways because they lack confidence in their ability to shoot.

Twitter: @DeleteThisPost
Nash Vegas
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Nov 11, 2017 8:34 pm    Post subject:

You all know I'm one of the biggest critics of Luke's coaching, but tonight against Milwaukee there's not much reason to blame him for the loss.

His subs were fine, he played Lonzo the full 2nd/4th quarters for the first time. He even got Lonzo involved in the offense early instead of calling out plays for Ingram like they do at the start. Only thing maybe is playing inexperienced Blue when the game was still close, but...... We missed 15 free throws. FIFTEEN. We lost by 8 points. If we just made half more of our misses we'd probably have won or at least made it super close.
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Sat Nov 11, 2017 8:35 pm    Post subject:

Kava wrote:
RoyalPurple8 wrote:

This game vs. the Bucks specifically he seemed to leave players in the game that should've been taken out while taking players out when they are semi rolling/hot. First rant on Luke all season - this game he seemed to predetermine when players were going to play/come out regardless of how well/bad they were doing. Same thing folks criticized Mike Brown for, seemed poor at making in game decisions.

I dont understand how it is possible to have a solid rotation with a team this young and inexperienced.

Take the Bucks, they have a sure HOfer in Giannis. The Lakers dont know if they even have that yet man? They have been playing to gether for a few seasons now. The Lkaers just got Lonzo and Kuz. Im just saying, I think we need to tone back our expectations a little.
LakerSanity

PostPosted: Sat Nov 11, 2017 8:44 pm    Post subject:

I think the missed free throws directly relates to our problems shooting. While Luke can't be held responsible for missed shots in a given single game, he can be held responsible for failing to help to develop our players into good shooters. When you have young players as we do, you can't just say "they can't shoot." The question has to be asked, "what have the Lakers done to attempt to develop them into good shooters?"

We miss open looks and we miss free throws (which are obviously uncontested). IMO, open looks and FTs are more about confidence than they are about mechanics. That's where coaching in practice comes in, and where Luke can be blamed taking a broader perspective.

KB824MJ
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Nov 11, 2017 8:50 pm    Post subject:

Well my views on Luke's coaching lately is that the freethrows have happened pretty much the last couple games. We miss 1 of 2 constantly. Not sure if Luke says anything to them to help them with that. But the whole team has been doing that lately.
Nash Vegas
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Nov 11, 2017 8:56 pm    Post subject:

LakerSanity wrote:
I think the missed free throws directly relates to our problems shooting. While Luke can't be held responsible for missed shots in a given single game, he can be held responsible for failing to help to develop our players into good shooters. When you have young players as we do, you can't just say "they can't shoot." The question has to be asked, "what have the Lakers done to attempt to develop them into good shooters?"

We miss open looks and we miss free throws (which are obviously uncontested). IMO, open looks and FTs are more about confidence than they are about mechanics. That's where coaching in practice comes in, and where Luke can be blamed taking a broader perspective.

Luke is responsible for developing their FT skills now? What are the assistant coaches getting paid for then?

PostPosted: Sat Nov 11, 2017 8:59 pm    Post subject:

Nash Vegas wrote:
LakerSanity wrote:

Luke is responsible for developing their FT skills now? What are the assistant coaches getting paid for then?

Who do those assistant coaches report to? Who hired them? And who approves their methods? And there typically is a correlation between 3pt shooting and FT%. It's team mentality and approach I'm concerned about.

Nash Vegas
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Nov 11, 2017 9:13 pm    Post subject:

LakerSanity wrote:
Nash Vegas wrote:
LakerSanity wrote:

Who do those assistant coaches report to? Who hired them? And who approves their methods? And there typically is a correlation between 3pt shooting and FT%. It's team mentality and approach I'm concerned about.

If you want to spin it like that then might as well blame Magic then because Luke reports to him.

And regarding correlation with 3's and FT: We've been bad all season long on 3's but we've always maintained shooting 73% on the FT line. Tonight was the first time we shot a season low 59%.
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Nov 11, 2017 10:46 pm    Post subject:

Brewer should never see an NBA court, period.
saetarubia
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Nov 11, 2017 10:49 pm    Post subject:

levon wrote:
Brewer should never see an NBA court, period.

We should waive him lol. Else Luke will continue to give him meaningful minutes.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 379, 380, 381 ... 816, 817, 818  Next
Page 380 of 818
Jump to: