Chicago to host 2020 NBA All Star Game

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> General Basketball Discussion Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Basketball Fan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Nov 10, 2017 4:27 pm    Post subject: Chicago to host 2020 NBA All Star Game

http://nba.nbcsports.com/2017/11/09/chicago-to-host-2020-nba-all-star-game/

Quote:
Chicago to host 2020 NBA All-Star Game

The last time the NBA All-Star Game was in Chicago, it was 1988 — the year Michael Jordan and Dominique Wilkins had one of the (if not THE) greatest All-Star Dunk contest ever. Then in the showcase game, Jordan dropped 40 points, led the East to the win, and was named MVP.

In 2020, it looks like the All-Star Game returns to the Windy City, reports Shams Charania of The Vertical at Yahoo Sports.

Shams Charania ✔@ShamsCharania
Sources: Chicago will host the NBA All-Star Weekend in 2020, announcement coming on Friday.
5:15 PM - Nov 9, 2017
77 77 Replies 1,148 1,148 Retweets 2,152 2,152 likes
Twitter Ads info and privacy
This has now been confirmed by multiple sources. The Bulls are not going to officially confirm this yet — the NBA doesn’t like it’s press conferences upstaged — but the deal is done.

A number of cities had bid on the 2020 and 2021 games, from Indiana through the Golden State Warriors (who will be in a new building by then). Chicago won the first round. All-Star Weekend is more than just the game, it’s three-days of on-court activities including a fan fest, community events, and parties — official and unofficial — all throughout the host city.

The 2018 All-Star Game will be in Los Angeles, then in 2019 the game has been awarded to Charlotte.
adkindo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Nov 10, 2017 9:21 pm    Post subject:

thought they were going to try to stay away from cold weather cities...
Basketball Fan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Nov 11, 2017 7:28 am    Post subject:

adkindo wrote:

That's the Super Bowl why would it matter where the ASG is played weather wise.
adkindo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Nov 11, 2017 7:41 am    Post subject:

Basketball Fan wrote:
adkindo wrote:

no, I was referring to the All Star Game...do you not recall the back 2 back years in NYC and Toronto? A lot of complaining about the weather.
Basketball Fan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Nov 11, 2017 8:02 am    Post subject:

I don't recall weather being the issue but you might be right.

Just seems rather unrealistic since these games are indoors as well as most activities.
lakersken80
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Nov 12, 2017 2:48 pm    Post subject:

adkindo wrote:
Basketball Fan wrote:
adkindo wrote:

no, I was referring to the All Star Game...do you not recall the back 2 back years in NYC and Toronto? A lot of complaining about the weather.

I didn't hear much about those complaints. I know its a bigger part in the NFL considering they play outdoors, but it probably doesn't matter as much anymore since they are building stadiums with roofs in cold weather cities.
adkindo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Nov 12, 2017 8:05 pm    Post subject:

lakersken80 wrote:
adkindo wrote:
Basketball Fan wrote:
adkindo wrote:

I didn't hear much about those complaints. I know its a bigger part in the NFL considering they play outdoors, but it probably doesn't matter as much anymore since they are building stadiums with roofs in cold weather cities.

can't believe you guys did not hear these complaints....simply google it. Especially Toronto was a big deal....it was record breaking lows. Even listening to NBA radio the day Chicago was announced....every show host was complaining about Chicago in February.

Have you ever been to an All Star weekend? It is a marketing event for the league and its sponsors.....there are tons of events outside in different locations around the host city. The actual game and events that take place in the arena is pretty low on the overall priorities of the weekend.

Since 2006, it has been held in 2 cool weather cities.
TDRock
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Nov 12, 2017 8:15 pm    Post subject:

There were HELLA complaints regarding the Weather the year ASG Weekend was in Toronto. Lol! Players, journalists, attendees...I remember them bringing it up during The Starters, they couldn’t get man on the street interviews because no one wanted to stop and talk. Folks were trying to get inside because it was freezing.... Coverage during that ASG was hilarious because people hated the weather. You knew ASG was going to end up back in LA or Florida after that one LOL
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> General Basketball Discussion All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: