Lakers have as many wins ( 5 ) as the Thunder, go figure?
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
LakerFan1977
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Sun Nov 12, 2017 2:42 pm    Post subject: Lakers have as many wins ( 5 ) as the Thunder, go figure?

In this +10 games of sample size to gauge our current teams NBA debut, I would say that we have exceeded expectations defensively, its Lonzo's individual development that is reflecting our team development, with plays that will see a higher level of execution, and more consistent shooting the wins will begin to pile up
Inspector Gadget
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Nov 12, 2017 2:49 pm    Post subject:

USCandLakers
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Nov 12, 2017 4:09 pm    Post subject:

Paul George, come on down.
LandsbergerRules
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Nov 12, 2017 4:21 pm    Post subject:

USCandLakers wrote:

Ziggy
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Nov 12, 2017 4:44 pm    Post subject:

fontana3d
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Nov 12, 2017 4:47 pm    Post subject:

Not so fast George chould still stay no to us and just resign in OKC I mean sometimes I have seen this before using us as leverage.
TheeChosenLonzo
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Sun Nov 12, 2017 4:50 pm    Post subject:

fontana3d wrote:
Not so fast George chould still stay no to us and just resign in OKC I mean sometimes I have seen this before using us as leverage.

Huh?
LakerFan1977
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Sun Nov 12, 2017 5:05 pm    Post subject:

fontana3d wrote:

Is this a statement to practice reverse psychology?
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Nov 12, 2017 5:26 pm    Post subject:

LakerFan1977 wrote:
fontana3d wrote:

No. The negativity stems from his defeatist mentality.
DocK36
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Nov 12, 2017 5:26 pm    Post subject:

Paul George to OKC fans after this season
ToastedMuffins
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Sun Nov 12, 2017 5:28 pm    Post subject:

fontana3d wrote:

George is more likely to be traded than to re-sign in OKC and it has nothing to do with their record.
fontana3d
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Nov 12, 2017 5:35 pm    Post subject:

ToastedMuffins wrote:
fontana3d wrote:

George is more likely to be traded than to re-sign in OKC and it has nothing to do with their record.

Most likely not to us because OKC will try to play keep away from the Lakers.
fontana3d
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Nov 12, 2017 5:38 pm    Post subject:

55 wrote:
LakerFan1977 wrote:
fontana3d wrote:

Well it's because I'm tired of the Lakers being used as leverage to get more money out of other teams. You should know this too so instead of picking on me right now about to piss me off you should look at recent history. Also we we still have to clear salary off the books just to get a 2nd max slot.
unleasHell
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Nov 12, 2017 5:42 pm    Post subject:

It only matters how many wins they have at the end of the season...!
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Nov 12, 2017 5:47 pm    Post subject:

fontana3d wrote:
55 wrote:
LakerFan1977 wrote:
fontana3d wrote:

Well it's because I'm tired of the Lakers being used as leverage to get more money out of other teams. You should know this too so instead of picking on me right now about to piss me off you should look at recent history. Also we we still have to clear salary off the books just to get a 2nd max slot.

George doesn't need to use anyone to get paid. He's a max player no matter where he signs. Don't mean to piss you off, just stating what I see as the obvious from your "no point in trying because GS is here to stay" posts and so on.
VicXLakers
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Nov 12, 2017 6:10 pm    Post subject:

clips with only 5 wins too...Lakers are just a 1/2 game out of second in the Pacific... hang a banner?
adkindo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Nov 12, 2017 7:34 pm    Post subject:

this parallel did not last long
LandsbergerRules
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Nov 12, 2017 10:01 pm    Post subject:

PG's reaction to Melo being out: "More shots!!"

splashmtn
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Nov 12, 2017 10:13 pm    Post subject:

USCandLakers wrote:
This is all i was thinking when i saw Okc's record a couple of days ago. I was like wow. if they keep that up. Come on home PG. come on home.
ToastedMuffins
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Sun Nov 12, 2017 11:02 pm    Post subject:

fontana3d wrote:
ToastedMuffins wrote:
fontana3d wrote:

Unfortunately OKC really doesn't have an avenue to retaining Paul George beyond this season. Here's my breakdown.

Currently OKC has 8 fully guaranteed contracts for next season. Russell Westbrook, Steven Adams, Andre Roberson, Alex Abrines, Patrick Patterson, Kyle Singler, Terrance Ferguson, and Dakari Johnson. These 8 contracts amount to over $92.2 million of cap space on a projected $101 million salary cap.

Carmelo Anthony has a 27.9 million player option for next season that he absolutely will exercise because at 34 years old and the shortage of cap space available among the league this upcoming free agency, he really has no hope of another team coming close to matching that amount. So that brings OKC's payroll to $120.1 million. With the luxury tax line projected at $123 million, OKC is already going to almost certainly be a luxury team and we haven't even gotten to Paul George yet.

Paul George has a player option of $20.7 million but stands to earn at max contract starting at $30.3 million as a free agent so there's really no chance that he doesn't opt out. Unlike Carmelo, George at 28 years old will have teams lining up to pay him. So if we add George's inevitable max contract to OKC's salary, that brings them to a whopping $150.4 million. It's a lot, but if you really believe you have a championship-caliber roster, it might be worth it.

However, because of being so far over the luxury tax, OKC will have to pay additional taxes. Carrying a $150.4 million salary roster would cost them an extra $74.2 million in luxury taxes bringing their total roster cost next year to over $224.6 million!

But wait! It actually somehow gets worse. If OKC is a luxury tax team next year, they will have been one for 4 of the last 5 years and will be subject to the dreaded repeater tax. Instead of $74.2 million, OKC would be required to pay $101.6 million in luxury taxes bringing their final total roster cost to over $252.1 million which is as much of an utterly preposterous amount to spend on one season's roster as it sounds.

To put this into perspective, earlier this year Forbes valued the entire Oklahoma City Thunder organization at just over 1 billion. If anyone out there seriously believes that legendary cheapskate owner, Clayton Bennett, is about to spend 1/4th his entire team's market value on one single year's roster salary, you're out of your freaking mind.

"Hold up ToastedMuffins! Why can't OKC just shed some salary at the deadline this January and reduce that luxury tax hit?"

Unfortunately for the Thunder the only sizable contract aside from their "big three" is Steven Adams at 22.4 million. The problem with trading Adams is that the Thunder would need to take back almost no salary and there are no large expiring contracts on the market. Furthermore, OKC doesn't even have any 1st round draft picks they can trade prior to the year 2022 due to the Ted Stepien rule to facilitate such a trade.

"But wait! Can't OKC just trade Carmelo and free themselves up to keep just Paul George instead?"

Not so fast. Carmelo's no-trade clause is still in effect. The Thunder can't trade him without his consent and any team that Carmelo would consent to (Portland, Cleveland, Houston) would still need and expect to send back long-term salary in return.
TheKing23
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Sun Nov 12, 2017 11:41 pm    Post subject:

Thanks muffins, great reason for optimism
lewis
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Nov 13, 2017 2:13 am    Post subject:

Miami was 10-8 at the end of November in their first season (2010-2011) with he big three. Let's wait until January until e say OKC sucks.

https://www.basketball-reference.com/teams/MIA/2011_games.html
wolfpaclaker
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Nov 13, 2017 5:27 am    Post subject:

Melo is a problem.
Knicks are playing better without him.

Think Presti made a mistake. He had Westbrook, he had George. He had some talented role players still left and depth. With also trading for Melo, he has no more depth on his team. They basically traded away 4 rotation players for George/Melo. Westbrook is not the same Westbrook when he has to share the ball with others.

Think this is not like the Miami or Cleveland big 3 situations at all. For one, no Lebron James. They will make the playoffs and be a good team, but they lack depth and a flow to their offense to be a legit contender.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
av3773
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Nov 13, 2017 6:00 am    Post subject:

I think OKC will have a pretty solid record at seasons end....still think George bails though....Lakers will have a larger window for competing, economics for OKC, etc.
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Nov 13, 2017 6:23 am    Post subject:

fontana3d wrote:
ToastedMuffins wrote:
fontana3d wrote:

If he is traded to a 3rd team within one calendar year (was a Pacer in June, OKC in July, and 3rd team in ?), I think he will want to come home and be in a stable situation.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3
Jump to: