Lonzo Ball as shooting guard?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
silkwilkes
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Nov 12, 2017 8:09 pm    Post subject:

I think Lonzo is an absolute disaster on the weak side without the ball... he just stands there lol. So shooting guard, even if he could shoot, would be an absolute no for me. He's at his best when he has the ball in his hands and needs to make decisions. That's where he needs to be.

I do think, however, that we should run more plays where we set a screen for him and he gets an open look where he has time to set his feet. Wouldn't hurt to get his shooting going that way. It's much harder to square up and get everything in sync when you're on the move with the ball. I don't have the stats... but it seemed to me that he's been ok shooting in these setups. Now between this and playing shooting guard is a big chasm.

That said, Ingram and KCP can't really shoot either so, in truth, we have no "shooting" guards period lol. Best one is Clarkson except he doesn't like to catch and shoot.
LakerFan1977
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Sun Nov 12, 2017 8:15 pm    Post subject:

Ball has combo guards skills, but then again what great point guard wouldn't be good to great at shooting guard anyways...
Omar Little

PostPosted: Sun Nov 12, 2017 8:23 pm    Post subject:

silkwilkes wrote:
I think Lonzo is an absolute disaster on the weak side without the ball... he just stands there lol. So shooting guard, even if he could shoot, would be an absolute no for me. He's at his best when he has the ball in his hands and needs to make decisions. That's where he needs to be.

I do think, however, that we should run more plays where we set a screen for him and he gets an open look where he has time to set his feet. Wouldn't hurt to get his shooting going that way. It's much harder to square up and get everything in sync when you're on the move with the ball. I don't have the stats... but it seemed to me that he's been ok shooting in these setups. Now between this and playing shooting guard is a big chasm.

That said, Ingram and KCP can't really shoot either so, in truth, we have no "shooting" guards period lol. Best one is Clarkson except he doesn't like to catch and shoot.

At ucla, ball was deadly off ball, both spotting up and cutting, and he can attack quickly off ball reversal.
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Nov 12, 2017 8:45 pm    Post subject:

I think this is more about KCP not being an ideal half court facilitator.
silkwilkes
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Nov 12, 2017 8:46 pm    Post subject:

Seems like he's afraid to attack the rim with cuts in the NBA. Doesn't feel he can finish without getting blocked. And when he does get to the rim, he's tries these crazy layups.
splashmtn
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Nov 12, 2017 10:16 pm    Post subject:

LakerFan1977 wrote:
Ball has combo guards skills, but then again what great point guard wouldn't be good to great at shooting guard anyways...
jason kidd. people remember prime jkidd's passing and defense, rebounding for a guard. then they fast forward to old man kidd that had a legit 3 ball. and they combine the 2 eras of jkidd into one player. when in reality that was never the case. when he was at his best and prime as a pg. he was not a scorer and could not play SG. he didnt shoot enough, or well enough to pull that off.
Mike@LG

PostPosted: Sun Nov 12, 2017 11:04 pm    Post subject:

splashmtn wrote:
GoldenThroat wrote:
He's always been a SG in the half court.
again, not true at all. just because he gets off the ball fast doesnt mean he isnt a pg. he's just not your normal pound the ball pg. he's still not looking to score like that, not even in the half court. he will score in moments. thats not a SG. thats a PG that can put the ball in the basket if need be.

Highly disagree.

Small forward handles. 1 change of direction, then straight line drive.
Small forward defense. Post D, swats, boards.

Hoop IQ/court vision/passing ability doesn't define a point guard.

He's not a great POA player.
He's not a great Iso shot creator.

Scoring in moments doesn't matter.
Total PPG doesn't matter.

Skill set + play types that lead to success do. Nick Young play types at UCLA led to his most efficient year in terms of scoring, finishing, and 3point shooting.

Because really, if he wasn't a passer, how would he play?

Like a 3 and D wing.

https://lakersdraft.substack.com/

I am not an economic advisor nor do I advise economic strategies or plans.
JrR31
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Sun Nov 12, 2017 11:19 pm    Post subject:

LakerFan1977 wrote:

I like this answer. Combo guard. Keep the defense guessing. I think Luke tried a few times against Milwaukee where Ingram brought the ball up and had Zo receive the ball.

Zo can definitely play both SG/PG.

90 percent he will be our premiere PG.

But in order to make him unpredictable and defense guessing we can have him \

off the ball cutting the paint and perhaps roll off a screen and spot up..
kobeandgary
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Nov 13, 2017 3:26 am    Post subject:

Mike@LG wrote:
splashmtn wrote:
GoldenThroat wrote:
again, not true at all. just because he gets off the ball fast doesnt mean he isnt a pg. he's just not your normal pound the ball pg. he's still not looking to score like that, not even in the half court. he will score in moments. thats not a SG. thats a PG that can put the ball in the basket if need be.

Highly disagree.

Skill set + play types that lead to success do. Nick Young play types at UCLA led to his most efficient year in terms of scoring, finishing, and 3point shooting.

Like a 3 and D wing.

Unlike other three and defensive type players, Lonzo Ball is unable to hit a shot from the outside, half the time he is lucky if he even hits the rim. Plays when he is off the ball we are often 4 on 5 on offense at best. He is quickly looking like a rondo type player while not quite being the Rondo driver of defender it would seem.
splashmtn
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Nov 13, 2017 1:48 pm    Post subject:

JrR31 wrote:
LakerFan1977 wrote:

I like this answer. Combo guard. Keep the defense guessing. I think Luke tried a few times against Milwaukee where Ingram brought the ball up and had Zo receive the ball.

Zo can definitely play both SG/PG.

90 percent he will be our premiere PG.

But in order to make him unpredictable and defense guessing we can have him \

off the ball cutting the paint and perhaps roll off a screen and spot up..
This is all i ask of a coach with any player thats struggling. dont make them have to make all hard shots all the time. give me 6 pts worth of easy greasy.
splashmtn
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Nov 13, 2017 1:51 pm    Post subject:

kobeandgary wrote:
Mike@LG wrote:
splashmtn wrote:
GoldenThroat wrote:

Highly disagree.

Like a 3 and D wing.

Unlike other three and defensive type players, Lonzo Ball is unable to hit a shot from the outside, half the time he is lucky if he even hits the rim. Plays when he is off the ball we are often 4 on 5 on offense at best. He is quickly looking like a rondo type player while not quite being the Rondo driver of defender it would seem.
he looks nothing like rondo.

rondo half the time didnt even want to shoot the open shot. he would just try to force a pass or force a drive. thats not ball.

rondo couldnt shoot in college, high school. no where. ball however could shoot in high school, college. now all of a sudden he cant make a layup? thats mostly mental and the other part is due to him not having any time playing off the ball. its 100% on ball right now. thats not his game. its more like 70% on ball 30% off.
Mike@LG

PostPosted: Mon Nov 13, 2017 4:27 pm    Post subject:

^The funny part to me is, 3 and D types had to develop their shooting to get into the archetype in the first place.

https://lakersdraft.substack.com/

I am not an economic advisor nor do I advise economic strategies or plans.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5
Page 5 of 5
Jump to: