Lakers have as many wins ( 5 ) as the Thunder, go figure?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Nov 13, 2017 6:26 am    Post subject:

Quote:
But wait! It actually somehow gets worse. If OKC is a luxury tax team next year, they will have been one for 4 of the last 5 years and will be subject to the dreaded repeater tax. Instead of $74.2 million, OKC would be required to pay $101.6 million in luxury taxes bringing their final total roster cost to over $252.1 million which is as much of an utterly preposterous amount to spend on one season's roster as it sounds.

BOOM. This is why I think PG13 is coming here. OKC will be WB/Melo/Adams next year, which is better than nothing I suppose.
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Nov 13, 2017 6:27 am    Post subject:

wolfpaclaker wrote:
Melo is a problem.
Knicks are playing better without him.

Think Presti made a mistake. He had Westbrook, he had George. He had some talented role players still left and depth. With also trading for Melo, he has no more depth on his team. They basically traded away 4 rotation players for George/Melo. Westbrook is not the same Westbrook when he has to share the ball with others.

Think this is not like the Miami or Cleveland big 3 situations at all. For one, no Lebron James. They will make the playoffs and be a good team, but they lack depth and a flow to their offense to be a legit contender.

Agreed. Even if kanter/mcdermmot don't seem like much, they provide much needed offense from the bench. Melo's salary clogs up things a bit.
Lucky_Shot
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Nov 13, 2017 6:37 am    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:
Quote:
ToastedMuffins- But wait! It actually somehow gets worse. If OKC is a luxury tax team next year, they will have been one for 4 of the last 5 years and will be subject to the dreaded repeater tax. Instead of $74.2 million, OKC would be required to pay $101.6 million in luxury taxes bringing their final total roster cost to over $252.1 million which is as much of an utterly preposterous amount to spend on one season's roster as it sounds.

BOOM. This is why I think PG13 is coming here. OKC will be WB/Melo/Adams next year, which is better than nothing I suppose.

Good work TM PG13 to LA isnt a pipe dream
70sdude
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Nov 13, 2017 8:20 am    Post subject:

Instant chemistry was probably unfairly expected by a lot of observers for the Thunder's new lineup. Combining three ball-dominant scorers could take some time to develop efficiency, familiarization. All three guys have to adapt and learn.

John Wooden:
"It takes time, practice, commitment and cooperation for five individuals to play as one. With very rare exception, instant team success lay beyond my abilities as a teacher. My main goals were twofold. First, I had to determine who does what best with whom. Second, I had to practice the key players together with the right supporting talent under what I perceived as the best possible style of play for them as a group. They had to practice together often enough so that the games became merely the repetition of what each man already knew was needed of him. Some groups took longer to become familiar with what I wanted of them than did others. There were a few groups whom I felt I was never able to reach adequately, despite the appearance of adequate talent and potential. I blamed myself for their shortcomings as a team because I could see they were giving their full measure as individuals."
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Nov 13, 2017 8:24 am    Post subject:

The problem with OKC is that they have 2 guys who can be FAs.

With the Heat, you had guys under contract. With the Warriors, the same.

I'm really not sure the OKC trio is meant to be longer than 1 year. That tax hit is staggering for a large market team, crippling for a tiny market like OKC, especially if the product isn't a championship one.
kevin61
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Nov 13, 2017 11:08 am    Post subject:

And the Clippers
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Nov 13, 2017 11:37 am    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:
Quote:
But wait! It actually somehow gets worse. If OKC is a luxury tax team next year, they will have been one for 4 of the last 5 years and will be subject to the dreaded repeater tax. Instead of $74.2 million, OKC would be required to pay $101.6 million in luxury taxes bringing their final total roster cost to over $252.1 million which is as much of an utterly preposterous amount to spend on one season's roster as it sounds.

Wouldn’t next season be the third year of paying tax? They paid with KD, didn’t pay last season and are paying this season. Did I miss a season?
kevin61
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Nov 13, 2017 11:56 am    Post subject:

venturalakersfan wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:
Quote:

Wouldn’t next season be the third year of paying tax? They paid with KD, didn’t pay last season and are paying this season. Did I miss a season?

As I recall, three out of four puts you in the Repeater category.
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Nov 13, 2017 12:08 pm    Post subject:

They are in repeater tax territory next year. Per the great Fred Katz (OKC beat writer)

Quote:
The Thunder were already over the NBA's luxury tax threshold of $119.3 million. And with the Anthony addition, the current roster would be responsible for $27.8 million in tax payments. Teams don't pay the tax until the end of the year, so OKC would still have time to maneuver.

Payments could grow even more expensive next year, when the Thunder would have to pay a repeater tax, which demonstrably increases the tax rate, if they crawled over the threshold. As of now, the "OK3" of Russell Westbrook, Paul George and Anthony could all choose to become free agents in the summer of 2018.

http://www.normantranscript.com/oklahoma/thundernotes-the-financial-impact-of-the-carmelo-anthony-trade-thunder/article_d1b877a2-a0a9-11e7-94a0-6b652a3875c2.html

OKC, even after making the Finals (and the $ benefits of it) fastidiously avoided the luxury tax, even trading off the promising Harden to avoid it. So it goes to stand that if, during their ascendency to the NBA Finals with a YOUNG (very important) core of KD/WB/Harden/Ibaka were unwilling to do it, why would they be willing to pay 4 times what they're paying now for an aging core of WB/Melo/PG13? I highly doubt that.

The true cost would be OKC dumping Steven Adams, who is an important piece of their core.
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Nov 13, 2017 12:10 pm    Post subject:

WOJ:

Quote:
Westbrook has a five-year, $207 million extension offer on the table from the Thunder, with a deadline of Oct. 16 to sign. The Thunder will have a difficult time bringing back Westbrook, George and Anthony for the 2018-19 season; the repeater tax penalty would push the payroll ($157 million) and luxury tax ($143 million) skyward to make Oklahoma City the NBA's first $300 million payroll.

http://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/20793120/new-york-knicks-agree-trade-carmelo-anthony-oklahoma-city-thunder

(article from at the time of the Melo trade).
lakersfever714
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Nov 13, 2017 12:12 pm    Post subject:

We have Melo to thank once we get PG13 next year. Melo is just a cancer whereever he goes. The Knicks offense look so much better without him and all they have is Porzingis. I don't even know who the other guys are but they're doing great.

OKC will most likely still make the playoffs but as a low seed and get eliminated in the first round. PG13 said Western Conf Finals or bust so it's gonna be a bust. I guess Kuzma can be 6th man on this Lakers squad.

Last edited by lakersfever714 on Mon Nov 13, 2017 12:13 pm; edited 1 time in total
LakerSD
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Nov 13, 2017 12:13 pm    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:
WOJ:

Quote:
Westbrook has a five-year, $207 million extension offer on the table from the Thunder, with a deadline of Oct. 16 to sign. The Thunder will have a difficult time bringing back Westbrook, George and Anthony for the 2018-19 season; the repeater tax penalty would push the payroll ($157 million) and luxury tax ($143 million) skyward to make Oklahoma City the NBA's first $300 million payroll.

http://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/20793120/new-york-knicks-agree-trade-carmelo-anthony-oklahoma-city-thunder

I would be entertained if “small market” OKC became the first $300M payroll and then sit back and listen to all the small market teams crying about the CBA

Last edited by LakerSD on Mon Nov 13, 2017 12:14 pm; edited 1 time in total
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Nov 13, 2017 12:14 pm    Post subject:

LakerSD wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:
WOJ:

Quote:

I would be entertained if “small market” OKC became the first $300M payroll and then listen to all the small market crying about the CBA

They were one of the few teams that lost money last year. So the notion that they will happily foot close to a 300m payroll is laughable (or if they do it, lunacy).
LakerSD
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Nov 13, 2017 12:16 pm    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:
LakerSD wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:
WOJ:

Quote:

I would be entertained if “small market” OKC became the first $300M payroll and then listen to all the small market crying about the CBA

They were one of the few teams that lost money last year. So the notion that they will happily foot close to a 300m payroll is laughable (or if they do it, lunacy).

Oh I don’t disagree, that’s why I said it would be an entertaining train wreck. Although, some on LG would lead you to believe that their notoriously cheap ownership will pay the tab
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Nov 13, 2017 12:18 pm    Post subject:

If I'm PG13, you have to know that OKC will immediately cost cut if you re-sign there. They would likely try to move Adams, other important pieces to cut the luxury tax. Now you're stuck in OKC on a team that's probably just good enough to be in the playoffs, but nothing more.

Congrats, you've consigned yourself to live there and be on the mediocrity treadmill for the balance of your prime.
Laker's Fan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Nov 13, 2017 12:23 pm    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:
If I'm PG13, you have to know that OKC will immediately cost cut if you re-sign there. They would likely try to move Adams, other important pieces to cut the luxury tax. Now you're stuck in OKC on a team that's probably just good enough to be in the playoffs, but nothing more.

Congrats, you've consigned yourself to live there and be on the mediocrity treadmill for the balance of your prime.

Which is exactly the situation KD bounced on. The rub is he went to a perennial contender and we're hoping he invests his in our winner's-lust as our first guy in. Still, LA shows up with Kobe, Shaw, Magic, Pelinka and Luke and can sell a team heading in the right direction.
LandsbergerRules
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Nov 13, 2017 12:25 pm    Post subject:

I'm hoping OKC gets the 7 or 8 seed and gets destroyed by the Warriors or Rockets in the first round.
LakerSD
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Nov 13, 2017 12:25 pm    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:

I just don’t see Melo opting out so that makes it hard to keep PG13. Even if they got rid Adams and others; that leaves the OK3, no depth and like you said the owner is likely cost cut even if he kept the big 3.
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Nov 13, 2017 12:26 pm    Post subject:

Laker's Fan wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:

Which is exactly the situation KD bounced on. The rub is he went to a perennial contender and we're hoping he invests his in our winner's-lust as our first guy in. Still, LA shows up with Kobe, Shaw, Magic, Pelinka and Luke and can sell a team heading in the right direction.

Yeah. This is where Magic/Pelinka's closing skills likely come to play.

And you then place this doubt in his mind. You are consigning your future to a team that will (and has) chop off core pieces to reduce the luxury tax bill. (Huestas for example was a most recent victim of the luxury tax bill).
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Nov 13, 2017 1:10 pm    Post subject:

lakersfever714 wrote:
We have Melo to thank once we get PG13 next year. Melo is just a cancer whereever he goes. The Knicks offense look so much better without him and all they have is Porzingis. I don't even know who the other guys are but they're doing great.

OKC will most likely still make the playoffs but as a low seed and get eliminated in the first round. PG13 said Western Conf Finals or bust so it's gonna be a bust. I guess Kuzma can be 6th man on this Lakers squad.

I would be happy making the playoffs as a low seed. Maybe we could do the same if PG comes here.
unleasHell
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Nov 14, 2017 6:11 pm    Post subject:

PG would be a great addition to this team, sure we'd all like more, but by signing PG, keeping Lopez, letting KCP walk and sliding Clarkson into the starting SG slot would not be such a bad thing...!
Kjj10697X
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Tue Nov 14, 2017 6:33 pm    Post subject:

unleasHell wrote:
PG would be a great addition to this team, sure we'd all like more, but by signing PG, keeping Lopez, letting KCP walk and sliding Clarkson into the starting SG slot would not be such a bad thing...!

In ur dream scenario who plays PF (Kuz because Jr is gone?) and where would BI play?
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Nov 14, 2017 6:55 pm    Post subject:

Kjj10697X wrote:
unleasHell wrote:

In ur dream scenario who plays PF (Kuz because Jr is gone?) and where would BI play?

Why would Randle have to go anywhere?
jonnybravo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Nov 14, 2017 7:06 pm    Post subject:

70sdude wrote:
Instant chemistry was probably unfairly expected by a lot of observers for the Thunder's new lineup. Combining three ball-dominant scorers could take some time to develop efficiency, familiarization. All three guys have to adapt and learn.

John Wooden:
"It takes time, practice, commitment and cooperation for five individuals to play as one. With very rare exception, instant team success lay beyond my abilities as a teacher. My main goals were twofold. First, I had to determine who does what best with whom. Second, I had to practice the key players together with the right supporting talent under what I perceived as the best possible style of play for them as a group. They had to practice together often enough so that the games became merely the repetition of what each man already knew was needed of him. Some groups took longer to become familiar with what I wanted of them than did others. There were a few groups whom I felt I was never able to reach adequately, despite the appearance of adequate talent and potential. I blamed myself for their shortcomings as a team because I could see they were giving their full measure as individuals."

True but 2 of those are both stubborn and take ball stopping to entire new levels. I don't see it ending well.

Welcome back home PG.
fontana3d
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Nov 14, 2017 8:12 pm    Post subject:

unleasHell wrote:

Clarkson might be dealt same thing goes for Randle and Deng.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3
Jump to: