Lonzo's Ball shooting: A issue of mechanics/focus/both?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Laker_Town
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Nov 09, 2017 9:01 am    Post subject:

Nashlight wrote:
Lonzo Ball says ongoing shooting issues "just in my head".

https://t.co/UJ6qjr9gwT

Maybe on his head...
epak
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Nov 09, 2017 1:51 pm    Post subject:

Laker_Town wrote:
Nashlight wrote:

Maybe on his head...

I agree.
Need to cut that hair
fusuyballer
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Thu Nov 09, 2017 2:11 pm    Post subject:

Jordan-esque wrote:
epak wrote:
I think watching GTs video will provide some possible answers

Starts @3:50 mark

Agree with GT that Lonzo seems to be hopping forward when he takes a face up shot, causing him to shoot long hitting the back iron. But when Lonzo takes his step back jumper it kind of negates his forward hop which is why that shot falls in more for him.

I agree 100% with this. He needs to learn to go up and down and not jump forward like that. When he goes up and down, he reminds me a little of Nick Young. This video confirms what I suspected. It is a mechanic issue. He needs to stop jumping so forward on his shot. Up and down, release at the top of your jump. He can hit those shots. Also he needs to learn to read defenses better, when to take off in the paint, etc. I hope the Lakers are doing as much coaching and research as some of these fans are.

Shoutout to this dude who made this review!
rwongega
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Nov 09, 2017 4:12 pm    Post subject:

Yips. Let's just hope that passes.

RIP Jonathan Tang
RIP Alex Gruenberg

Free KBCB
trablos
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Nov 09, 2017 6:32 pm    Post subject:

fusuyballer wrote:
Jordan-esque wrote:
epak wrote:

Agree with GT that Lonzo seems to be hopping forward when he takes a face up shot, causing him to shoot long hitting the back iron. But when Lonzo takes his step back jumper it kind of negates his forward hop which is why that shot falls in more for him.

I agree 100% with this. He needs to learn to go up and down and not jump forward like that. When he goes up and down, he reminds me a little of Nick Young. This video confirms what I suspected. It is a mechanic issue. He needs to stop jumping so forward on his shot. Up and down, release at the top of your jump. He can hit those shots. Also he needs to learn to read defenses better, when to take off in the paint, etc. I hope the Lakers are doing as much coaching and research as some of these fans are.

Except that swaggy could make them
Jordan-esque
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Nov 09, 2017 6:40 pm    Post subject:

Nashlight wrote:

Think it's pretty obvious now what the real problem is... it's a curse.

Lonzo got cursed by D'Angelo, just like how Phil Jackson has cursed every single Lakers head coach since. Yup that's it.

Lakers fans kept complaining that D'Angelo don't assist much and does nothing but shoot and shoot, so the ghost of karma cursed Lonzo and took away his jump shot, just like how Ursula did by taking away Ariel's voice in the Little Mermaid.

Yup, mystery solved. Credit goes to Disney.
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Nov 09, 2017 7:07 pm    Post subject:

Jordan-esque wrote:
Nashlight wrote:

Think it's pretty obvious now what the real problem is... it's a curse.

Lonzo got cursed by D'Angelo, just like how Phil Jackson has cursed every single Lakers head coach since. Yup that's it.

Lakers fans kept complaining that D'Angelo don't assist much and does nothing but shoot and shoot, so the ghost of karma cursed Lonzo and took away his jump shot, just like how Ursula did by taking away Ariel's voice in the Little Mermaid.

Yup, mystery solved. Credit goes to Disney.

The whole team got the curse, no one can shoot. We are now the worst 3-point shooting team in the league.
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Sat Nov 11, 2017 1:29 pm    Post subject:

If he's not hurt it looks like a mental issue to me since you don't all of a sudden become a bad shooter. He just needs to relax and the shot will come back.
SGVL1
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Sat Nov 11, 2017 1:49 pm    Post subject:

HEY GUYS RELAX JASON KIDD STARTED OFF SLOW TOO. MAGIC SAYS HES THE FACE OF THE FRANCHISE AND MIKE TRUDELL CANT STOP TWEETING ABOUT HIM. HES THE GOAT. CALM DOWN FELLAS
BynumForThree
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Nov 11, 2017 1:50 pm    Post subject:

ducasse2 wrote:
If he's not hurt it looks like a mental issue to me since you don't all of a sudden become a bad shooter. He just needs to relax and the shot will come back.

You see college players fail to translate their shot all the time.

For all of you out there questioning Jimmer Fredette of BYU, he is the real deal. - Magic Johnson Mar 20, 2011
greenfrog
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Nov 11, 2017 1:51 pm    Post subject:

BynumForThree wrote:
ducasse2 wrote:

When they're wide open?
BynumForThree
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Nov 11, 2017 1:55 pm    Post subject:

greenfrog wrote:
BynumForThree wrote:
ducasse2 wrote:

When they're wide open?

Yup, there's a reason why NBA defenses are leaving them open.

For all of you out there questioning Jimmer Fredette of BYU, he is the real deal. - Magic Johnson Mar 20, 2011
greenfrog
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Nov 11, 2017 1:59 pm    Post subject:

BynumForThree wrote:
greenfrog wrote:
BynumForThree wrote:
ducasse2 wrote:

When they're wide open?

Yup, there's a reason why NBA defenses are leaving them open.

From the same distance?
SuperboyReformed
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Nov 11, 2017 2:26 pm    Post subject:

there is no need for any deep analysis imo.
he has a very awkward shooting motion, and he cant make shots of almost any sort of nba difficulty level. reggie miller had an awkward shooting form also, not nearly as awkward however, just slightly awkward. but the result was very good, good shooting on difficult shots and great free throw shooting. there are none of these charactersitics about lonzo balls shot. everything points to him being a poor shooter, everywhere you look. can he get better? it's not likely, honestly. he can get decent, perhaps somewhat reliable and thats the best you can expect. if we are not using him as a master distributor, his other qualities are not going to get us anywhere.
greenfrog
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Nov 11, 2017 2:28 pm    Post subject:

SuperboyReformed wrote:
there is no need for any deep analysis imo.
he has a very awkward shooting motion, and he cant make shots of almost any sort of nba difficulty level. reggie miller had an awkward shooting form also, not nearly as awkward however, just slightly awkward. but the result was very good, good shooting on difficult shots and great free throw shooting. there are none of these charactersitics about lonzo balls shot. everything points to him being a poor shooter, everywhere you look. can he get better? it's not likely, honestly. he can get decent, perhaps somewhat reliable and thats the best you can expect. if we are not using him as a master distributor, his other qualities are not going to get us anywhere.

Even when they're wide open and from NBA 3 distance?
tony
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Nov 11, 2017 2:29 pm    Post subject:

Said this in the other thread but I think he's just a practice shooter.
pio2u
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Nov 14, 2017 6:06 am    Post subject:

Magic Johnson: Lakers won't change Ball's shot

Quote:
Lakers rookie point guard Lonzo Ball is shooting 31.4% but team president Magic Johnson said during a radio interview the coaching staff won’t alter his shooting stroke. Johnson made the comment during an interview on ESPN’s Mike and Mike show, which was relayed by USAToday’s Andrew Joseph. “Let him shoot the way he’s been shooting and hopefully they’ll go in. And so, we’re not gonna mess with it,” Johnson said. “We’re gonna let him shoot and play his game. If after the season, and he’s not shooting well, then we’ll sit down with him and say, ‘Hey, let’s maybe look at different way or let’s try to improve the way you are shooting.'”

https://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/ftw/2017/11/13/magic-johnson-explained-why-the-lakers-arent-going-to-change-lonzo-balls-shot/107663810/
3peat_pete
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Nov 14, 2017 6:24 am    Post subject:

not sure who has a more broken shot though. Ingram or Ball?

Ingram's been at it for over a year now and he still sucks at shooting. Either way, both are terrible shooters.
adkindo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Nov 14, 2017 7:03 am    Post subject:

At first, I leaned towards not messing with the shot.....but I think at some point, he will need to alter his form. It has nothing to do with the poor shooting, but watching him, he is so limited on where on the court he can get the shot off cleanly. Pretty much if he is dribbling right, there is a real strong chance he will not be shooting.....or it will take significant time to get in position to shoot. Once he starts hitting shots, teams are just going to shade him and force him to go right all the time, making it difficult to get a clean shot off.
tlim
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Nov 14, 2017 7:58 am    Post subject:

In other words, Magic says exactly what others are saying. Can’t fix it now. Gotta wait till off season, assuming it still sucks.
fusuyballer
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Tue Nov 14, 2017 8:22 am    Post subject:

3peat_pete wrote:

Ingram's been at it for over a year now and he still sucks at shooting. Either way, both are terrible shooters.

I think his long arms are contributing to his inconsistency as a shooter. KG and Rasheed Wallace are two guys that come to mind who had terrific form despite having really long arms. Tayshaun Prince had long arms and a funky form.

Players with long arms have an advantage in the post and on defense. I would love to see Ingram work on his post game ( I know he's skinny) but with those long arms, he should be good in the post ala Prince.

At the end of the day, Ingram is not a natural scorer. He's extremely long and needs to develop a good mid range shot, respectable 3 pointer, decent post game, and learn how to play terrific defense because thats where he can make his big mark. With his kind of lenght and athleticism, if he commits to being a defensive stopper, the sky is the limit to the value he can add from the 3 position.

But like i said in a previous thread, he's a project player like Kawhi Leonard was, but does he have the will and discpline to mold out a niche for himself in this league? That's the part I do not know about. Once the Lakers find themselves a proven scorer, (P. Geroge, Booker, etc) they wont need Ingram....because you do not win championships with iffy players.

You ultimately win rings with players who have defined skill sets and you know what they're brining to the table night in and night out.
splashmtn
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Nov 14, 2017 11:45 am    Post subject:

fusuyballer wrote:
Jordan-esque wrote:
epak wrote:

i agree with everything you guys have said. but i still can't attribute mechanics to this level of brick laying. remember he's not only missing jumpers. he's missing layups too during this horrific stretch of laying bricks.

You dont go from being a pretty decent shooter in college who shot a lot of shots from nba range too. to all of a sudden cant make a layup thats half contested. Unless there's an injury we dont know about negating your lift, movement, or something wrong with your shooting shoulder, shooting elbow, shooting wrist, or fingers/hand.

OR its the feel of the ball. in addition to ITS JUST IN YOUR HEAD.

the mechanics part is the difference between him coming into the nba and making a little less shots than he did in college. better mechanics would or could put his nba numbers on par with his ncaa numbers. which would be a good thing. but this level of bricking is not mechanics when the guy just finished playing ncaa ball and making the same shots he's bricking all of a sudden. its not elite nba defense either. he's wide open and bricking 3's, 2's, and layups.

and the shot is all over the place. its long, its short, its to the left, its to the right.

Do i believe the mechanics need to be tweeked in order for him to become a very good shooter? YES I do.

do i think the mechanics need to be tweeked in order for him to become what he already was in college? Not really. just hang around the nba for awhile and calm down, stop over thinking it and just shoot the ball.

every time he bricks it, he hesitates before he shoots. when he makes it there is no hesitation at all.
splashmtn
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Nov 14, 2017 11:47 am    Post subject:

3peat_pete wrote:

these two have some of the worse touch i've seen. i didnt watch BI in college much so I dont recall how he looked from a touch perspective. but i did watch ball. he had touch in college. you dont lose that unless you're injured(legs, cant get lift, back, shoulders, elbows, or some sort of hand/finger injuries) Or the difference in feel for the nba basketball. the nba basketball feels nothing like the ncaa basketballs. nor does it feel anything like HS basketballs you play with. as a 6'2 guy with decent size hands. I have always HATED the nba balls feel. hated it. sure it made us feel like we were doing it big, when we ran leagues and someone brought their official NBA ball. but we all knew that feel was going to be rough.
MJST
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Nov 14, 2017 4:24 pm    Post subject:

His form isn't the problem. His legs/footwork/balance are and releasing it too low at times, which is a similar problem on his free throws.
44TheLogo
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Nov 14, 2017 4:45 pm    Post subject:

lonzo's shooting problems are 100% footwork related and any other assessment is wrong.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 7 of 8
Jump to: