OFFICIAL LONZO BALL THREAD
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 628, 629, 630 ... 1686, 1687, 1688  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> General Basketball Discussion Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Baron Von Humongous
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Nov 14, 2017 8:54 am    Post subject:

epak wrote:
I think XinPing gets first dibs on Gelo 1s when they get released.

Xi Jinping
AirKobe8
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Nov 14, 2017 8:55 am    Post subject:

AFireInside619 wrote:
LandsbergerRules wrote:
J.C. Smith wrote:
WeDidItReddit wrote:
I'd rather him become Steve Nash than Jason Kidd.

I'm sure we'd all like to see him shoot the ball like Nash. Kidd was a great rebounder and defender though, and I think Lonzo will follow more in that mold.

I doubt Zo's outside shooting ever gets close to Nash's level. He'll put up Kidd-like stats with regularity, imo.

Nash was MVP twice, although one year could have been Shaw's. Kidd was a finalist twice in a weak East, and a Champion with the Mavs. Although that was all due LeChoke. Not sure who I'd rather see Lonzo become. Off the court, I'd rather have him be Nash, lol. Jason Kidd's reputation would have been a dumpster fire if he played in today's social media age. lol.

That's 2 top10 All-Time PGs. I'll be popping bottles if he becomes half of either one.
Baron Von Humongous
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Nov 14, 2017 8:58 am    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:
Aeneas Hunter wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:
Aeneas Hunter wrote:
For those who are interested, the first RPM stats came out today. Ball ranked 81st out of 85 PGs with an ORPM of -2.09. He ranked 9th out of 85 PGs with a DRPM of 0.54. Overall, he ranked 47th out of 85 with an RPM of -1.55.

The stats can be found here. It should go without saying that early season stats will have some anomalies due to the small sample size.

http://www.espn.com/nba/statistics/rpm/_/sort/RPM

So strange how he was heralded as an offensive guru, meanwhile he's been more effective defensively. What?

Eh, I don’t think those numbers are surprising to anyone who has been watching him objectively. His defensive game developed a lot faster than his overall offensive game. As his offensive game develops, he should move up that list pretty fast. Ranking ninth defensively is impressive for a rookie. For a comparison, Fox ranks dead last.

I'm saying that the scouting report said that his defense would be a problem while he would be an offensive juggernaut. Kind of surprising it's the opposite, which is actually a good thing IMO as I think his offensive advanced stats will get better with acclimation to the 3 point line and hopefully better teammates next year.

I didn't expect him to be this effective on defense so early (if ever), but the Fox v. Ball defense debates were such eye test, small sample size hokum to begin with.
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Nov 14, 2017 9:01 am    Post subject:

Yeah. Having him be, as a rookie, an average level NBA defender would be an amazing feat portending great things for him as his offense catches up.
Inspector Gadget
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Nov 14, 2017 9:10 am    Post subject:

He hasn’t said 1 thing that might cause locker room issues, he’s been as good of a leader as you can find out of a guy coming from college, he’s gonna lead us to many successful years in his career cause of his respect for the game.
OCWA
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Nov 14, 2017 10:11 am    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:
Aeneas Hunter wrote:
For those who are interested, the first RPM stats came out today. Ball ranked 81st out of 85 PGs with an ORPM of -2.09. He ranked 9th out of 85 PGs with a DRPM of 0.54. Overall, he ranked 47th out of 85 with an RPM of -1.55.

The stats can be found here. It should go without saying that early season stats will have some anomalies due to the small sample size.

So strange how he was heralded as an offensive guru, meanwhile he's been more effective defensively. What?

His athleticism is underrated so people just assumed he would be abused on the defensive end by the more athletic NBA players. I saw every UCLA game last year and knew the athleticism was there, he just needed to put the effort.
epak
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Nov 14, 2017 10:17 am    Post subject:

OCWA wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:
Aeneas Hunter wrote:

His athleticism is underrated so people just assumed he would be abused on the defensive end by the more athletic NBA players. I saw every UCLA game last year and knew the athleticism was there, he just needed to put the effort.

I think his Smarts and Defensive Instincts were underrated in college since he was breaking assists records and the team was an offensive beast. And I do still think he's an offensive guru.
NBALakerLegends
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Nov 14, 2017 10:32 am    Post subject:

Aeneas Hunter wrote:

Lonzo has a higher RPM than DLo, surprisingly. DLo's defense regressed if that was even possible.
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Nov 14, 2017 10:49 am    Post subject:

OCWA wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:
Aeneas Hunter wrote:

The only problem he has is when he switches onto more physical players. Time will change that.
OCWA
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Nov 14, 2017 10:55 am    Post subject:

venturalakersfan wrote:
OCWA wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:
Aeneas Hunter wrote:

The only problem he has is when he switches onto more physical players. Time will change that.

That's true, although he did a nice job of bodying up the Greek Freak on a few switches in Milwaukee as pointed out by GT in his latest video.
leor_77
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Nov 14, 2017 11:01 am    Post subject:

He has been playing better than expected defense, but Ben Simmons has the highest DRPM out of all point guards...so be cautious about reading too much into these stats.
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Nov 14, 2017 11:01 am    Post subject:

OCWA wrote:
venturalakersfan wrote:
OCWA wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:
Aeneas Hunter wrote:

That's true, although he did a nice job of bodying up the Greek Freak on a few switches in Milwaukee as pointed out by GT in his latest video.

That is the one game I missed.
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Nov 14, 2017 11:03 am    Post subject:

Imagine a backcourt of Lonzo/PG13, with Ingram/LBJ flanking the wings. So much switch-ability on defense.
Christopher Walken
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Tue Nov 14, 2017 12:29 pm    Post subject:

Brook at #22 on the rpm list and the next laker being Julius at #39 tells me luke should start jules for a while and see what happens. Also, while everyone is talking about simmons and embid as the reasons for the 76ers getting better look at Covington at #6 in the league at RPM, everything is coming together for those guys,,,,
Christopher Walken
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Tue Nov 14, 2017 12:34 pm    Post subject:

leor_77 wrote:
He has been playing better than expected defense, but Ben Simmons has the highest DRPM out of all point guards...so be cautious about reading too much into these stats.

If we're talking pure rookies, Ntillikina is #26 higher than all but simmons
PayasoLoco
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Nov 14, 2017 12:38 pm    Post subject:

Christopher Walken wrote:
leor_77 wrote:

Frank is gonna be perennial first team all nba D. He’s amazing for a rookie
NBALakerLegends
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Nov 14, 2017 12:47 pm    Post subject:

PayasoLoco wrote:
Christopher Walken wrote:
leor_77 wrote:

Frank is gonna be perennial first team all nba D. He’s amazing for a rookie

His shooting is almost as bad as Lonzo too. His offense reminds me of Mudiay quite a bit. Better defender than Mudiay though.
greenfrog
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Nov 14, 2017 12:51 pm    Post subject:

NBALakerLegends wrote:
Aeneas Hunter wrote:

Lonzo has a higher RPM than DLo, surprisingly. DLo's defense regressed if that was even possible.

Thanks, Aeneas. I always love this day.

DLO's ball handling and 3-point shooting have really regressed.
BennyLava
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Nov 14, 2017 12:57 pm    Post subject:

Say what you will, tell sixers process seems to be working. They would never get here through FA, this was their only path and now they have perhaps the best foundational talent to be dominant over the next decade or so. They have already locked down Embiid to a multi year contract.
bballchinaski
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Tue Nov 14, 2017 1:00 pm    Post subject:

BennyLava wrote:
Say what you will, tell sixers process seems to be working. They would never get here through FA, this was their only path and now they have perhaps the best foundational talent to be dominant over the next decade or so. They have already locked down Embiid to a multi year contract.

those knees though, i dont trust them, do you?
greenfrog
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Nov 14, 2017 1:07 pm    Post subject:

Notable Rookie Scores:

Jayson Tatum 1.48
Lauri Markkanen 1.08
Kyle Kuzma -1.27
Lonzo Ball -1.55
Dennis Smith Jr. -2.27
Josh Jackson -3.33
Markelle Fultz -3.36
De'Aaron Fox -4.98

Last edited by greenfrog on Tue Nov 14, 2017 1:10 pm; edited 1 time in total
BynumForThree
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Nov 14, 2017 1:09 pm    Post subject:

BennyLava wrote:

Yup, I always supported what they did. Simply the smartest way to go about rebuilding from their position. Everyone (including most of this board) was laughing at them but they're set to dominate the league when the Warriors are done.

By the way how great is the league right now in terms of young talent?

Simmons is a bigger and more athletic Magic Johnson, Embiid is Hakeem with a 3 pointer, Giannis might go down as the most physically gifted athlete in NBA history, Towns is a center with the shooting and agility of a guard, Jokic could be the greatest passing big man ever and Porz is an NBA unicorn with his shooting, rim-protecting ability and size. Not to mention that Anthony Davis is only 24 years old.

We'll see if Lonzo can make the jump needed to be in the same sentence as those players.

For all of you out there questioning Jimmer Fredette of BYU, he is the real deal. - Magic Johnson Mar 20, 2011
adkindo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Nov 14, 2017 1:17 pm    Post subject:

leor_77 wrote:

I still have the opinion that DRPM is straight garbage.
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Nov 14, 2017 1:17 pm    Post subject:

BynumForThree wrote:
BennyLava wrote:

Yup, I always supported what they did. Simply the smartest way to go about rebuilding from their position. Everyone (including most of this board) was laughing at them but they're set to dominate the league when the Warriors are done.

By the way how great is the league right now in terms of young talent?

Simmons is a bigger and more athletic Magic Johnson, Embiid is Hakeem with a 3 pointer, Giannis might go down as the most physically gifted athlete in NBA history, Towns is a center with the shooting and agility of a guard, Jokic could be the greatest passing big man ever and Porz is an NBA unicorn with his shooting, rim-protecting ability and size. Not to mention that Anthony Davis is only 24 years old.

We'll see if Lonzo can make the jump needed to be in the same sentence as those players.

76ers had the #3, #3, and #1 picks while the Lakers had #2, #2, #2. We actually ended up with higher draft picks on average.
mad55557777
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Nov 14, 2017 1:19 pm    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:
Imagine a backcourt of Lonzo/PG13, with Ingram/LBJ flanking the wings. So much switch-ability on defense.

i think it would be a dream come true if we can get Klay down the road somehow. he is like the perfect fit for Lonzo
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> General Basketball Discussion All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 628, 629, 630 ... 1686, 1687, 1688  Next
Page 629 of 1688
Jump to: