The LEBRON JAMES Thread
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 146, 147, 148 ... 2077, 2078, 2079  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Nov 14, 2017 10:34 am    Post subject:

Joe Pesci wrote:
lakers4life78 wrote:
People commenting they don't want Lebron are hilarious. First off, if Lebron wants to sign here (giant, massive if), 10000% Pelinka/Earvin do it. It'll only happen if they get a second guy. That guy has to be Paul George, who is the best of the under 30 year old free agents. With second year Ball, third year Ingram, Kuzma and Nance, you have a contender.

Bottom line.

Except the contender part, Ball and Ingram are a good 2-3 years from being players that will help a title team. There would be a good chance that maybe Ingram and for sure Kuzma would be bench players.
Four Decade Bandwagon
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Nov 14, 2017 10:38 am    Post subject:

I am a lot less optimistic then some of you that James remains the player some of you are predicting.

How many more productive seasons does he have left? As a first year Laker he will be in his 16th season and at about 55K career mins. Some of you are predicting 4 seasons with the Lakers. IMO two would be about it.

Part of the issue is not just "can he play"? But his motivation to do so as he declines. Or when his legacy starts taking a hit?

Will this season be the first year his Finals streak ends? Or would it be the first year of his "Laker tenure"? How is that going to sit with him? How patient will he be handing over the responsibilities to any of the young foundation that remains? Or do we see a declining player ballhogging in his final years trying to prove he still has it?

As I said, less optimistic then most of you. I foresee a Laker team maybe getting a mid seed and one round of home court in the West. Then an early exit. Then a disgruntled James on twitter asking for more veteran quick help. Not 21 year old second or third year players. Or worse a disinterested James more focused on his business ventures then winning games consistently.

When he finally leaves after a couple years, who has survived the James purge? Or are they in a worse place then they are now?

I see something developing this season. A change of culture and hopefulness. As a long time fan I am not looking forward to the likely inevitable path most of you are envisioning. I still hope that a compromise of plans is still possible.

But it would be a tough sell to most of you already spending the lottery money before you buy the ticket. A few have already stated how "disappointed" they would be if the Lakers "only land one max". Sad that anything less is going to be considered a failure.

JMO
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Nov 14, 2017 10:39 am    Post subject:

Quote:
Safe to say there are multiple variables in play.

- Why are you assuming "overpaying" for any or all of them? For all we know all three may combine to sign for approximately what it would cost to sign James alone.

In all livelihood for multiple years for the sake of continuity instead of James having an opt out every year to hold over management and continually increase his salary for the Farewell Tour.

- no guarantees and inherent risk with any team building plan. I simply prefer a longer term continuity. One that continually builds to a young developing core and climbs the playoff seeding over a few years.

- Still not determined that any FA is available or signing with the Lakers. Our argument of James being the Savior is still premature.

Still prefer a George addition to this team. Despite the widely accepted "not joining w/o another max FA" argument. Not convinced he might not be convinced by Magic and Pelinka to join the developing team.

Then re-sign those that make sense in chemistry and salary. Add role playing free agents as needed. Team remain deep, balanced and improving for a few years.

My hypothetical has just as much a possibility of contending as the James plan. Only not as headline grabbing or enticing to fantasize about.

1. quantity < quality. 5 1 carat diamonds are not worth more than 1 5 carat diamond. Plus, why would Brook or KCP give a discount and/or take a short deal if there's no "max" player coming in. It's one thing to take a deal so you can have LBJ/PG13 and stay on the team. It's another when you should rightfully be demanding and getting FMV.

2. your comments about LBJ seem to be rooted more in emotion and fear rather than logic. Could he demand a farewell tour? Maybe. But Magic isn't the type of pushover that Gilbert is, or a person dependent on LBJ to validate his self worth.

3. The plan would keep Lonzo/Ingram/Kuz/Hart/Bryant, maybe Jules. Is it that heartbreaking for you to lose Deng + one of JC/Jules in order to get LBJ/PG13? The youth movement would exist.

4. re: PG13, what's your sales pitch, basketball wise, to leave a MVP (WB), a former all star (Melo), and two all-NBA caliber defenders (Adams/Roberson) to join a cast of unproven kids?

5. With all due respect, your hypothetical signs the death warrant for this team to be on a mediocrity treadmill. Watch when Simmons/Embiid come to town. You can organically roll with them; we don't have that level of talent with Lonzo/Ingram/Kuz IMO.
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Nov 14, 2017 10:40 am    Post subject:

James is a top 2 player right now.

I would expect him to be a top 10 player for the next 3-4 years. What are the chances that Deng/KCP/Brook/JC or Jules ever reach that (which is the opportunity cost for LBJ).
NBALakerLegends
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Nov 14, 2017 10:53 am    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:

I would expect him to be a top 10 player for the next 3-4 years. What are the chances that Deng/KCP/Brook/JC or Jules ever reach that (which is the opportunity cost for LBJ).

Playoff Lebron is still number 1. Regular season Lebron may be top 5-top 10 the next four years but I believe playoff Lebron can elevate his play to top 3. I would gladly take him for the next four years. Dude is still in tip-top shape.
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Nov 14, 2017 10:57 am    Post subject:

NBALakerLegends wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:

Playoff Lebron is still number 1. Regular season Lebron may be top 5-top 10 the next four years but I believe playoff Lebron can elevate his play to top 3. I would gladly take him for the next four years. Dude is still in tip-top shape.

Yeah. I do think he's looking for younger legs to help him out. That Cavs team is full of older players that are declining. Have the Lonzo/Ingram/Kuz, even PG13 play with youthful vigor in the regular season; help close in the playoffs. Look at that Cavs team right now and it's just a 35 and over rec league type of athleticism. (with a guy with a hip problem allegedly coming back in February).
Joe Pesci
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Nov 14, 2017 11:00 am    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:
Quote:

- Why are you assuming "overpaying" for any or all of them? For all we know all three may combine to sign for approximately what it would cost to sign James alone.

In all livelihood for multiple years for the sake of continuity instead of James having an opt out every year to hold over management and continually increase his salary for the Farewell Tour.

- no guarantees and inherent risk with any team building plan. I simply prefer a longer term continuity. One that continually builds to a young developing core and climbs the playoff seeding over a few years.

- Still not determined that any FA is available or signing with the Lakers. Our argument of James being the Savior is still premature.

Still prefer a George addition to this team. Despite the widely accepted "not joining w/o another max FA" argument. Not convinced he might not be convinced by Magic and Pelinka to join the developing team.

Then re-sign those that make sense in chemistry and salary. Add role playing free agents as needed. Team remain deep, balanced and improving for a few years.

My hypothetical has just as much a possibility of contending as the James plan. Only not as headline grabbing or enticing to fantasize about.

1. quantity < quality. 5 1 carat diamonds are not worth more than 1 5 carat diamond. Plus, why would Brook or KCP give a discount and/or take a short deal if there's no "max" player coming in. It's one thing to take a deal so you can have LBJ/PG13 and stay on the team. It's another when you should rightfully be demanding and getting FMV.

2. your comments about LBJ seem to be rooted more in emotion and fear rather than logic. Could he demand a farewell tour? Maybe. But Magic isn't the type of pushover that Gilbert is, or a person dependent on LBJ to validate his self worth.

3. The plan would keep Lonzo/Ingram/Kuz/Hart/Bryant, maybe Jules. Is it that heartbreaking for you to lose Deng + one of JC/Jules in order to get LBJ/PG13? The youth movement would exist.

4. re: PG13, what's your sales pitch, basketball wise, to leave a MVP (WB), a former all star (Melo), and two all-NBA caliber defenders (Adams/Roberson) to join a cast of unproven kids?

5. With all due respect, your hypothetical signs the death warrant for this team to be on a mediocrity treadmill. Watch when Simmons/Embiid come to town. You can organically roll with them; we don't have that level of talent with Lonzo/Ingram/Kuz IMO.

Somebody please put this in neon Vegas-style lights for all the people zombie-braindead and brainwashed with idea/narrative that signing free agents is somehow punting on investing in the kids. It isn’t.

Signing max veteran guys DOES NOT mean giving up on the young guys. The two ARE NOT mutually exclusive.

If anything, having vets, good vets around, only make young guys better (reference Jayson Tatum).
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Nov 14, 2017 11:01 am    Post subject:

We are literally giving up Deng + JC or Jules to add a top 2 and a top 15 player. I mean, come on.
Joe Pesci
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Nov 14, 2017 11:02 am    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:
NBALakerLegends wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:

Yeah. I do think he's looking for younger legs to help him out. That Cavs team is full of older players that are declining. Have the Lonzo/Ingram/Kuz, even PG13 play with youthful vigor in the regular season; help close in the playoffs. Look at that Cavs team right now and it's just a 35 and over rec league type of athleticism. (with a guy with a hip problem allegedly coming back in February).

Too much truth and vision here.
Joe Pesci
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Nov 14, 2017 11:06 am    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:
We are literally giving up Deng + JC or Jules to add a top 2 and a top 15 player. I mean, come on.

I’m convinced that some people here are merely holding on, for dear life, to their ideas and theories because their too afraid of appearing wrong, too afraid of conceding to rational thought — sort of a microcosm of the world in which we live, from all sides.
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Nov 14, 2017 11:12 am    Post subject:

Joe Pesci wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:
Quote:

Somebody please put this in neon Vegas-style lights for all the people zombie-braindead and brainwashed with idea/narrative that signing free agents is somehow punting on investing in the kids. It isn’t.

Signing max veteran guys DOES NOT mean giving up on the young guys. The two ARE NOT mutually exclusive.

If anything, having vets, good vets around, only make young guys better (reference Jayson Tatum).

I am trying to think of a team that won a title with a player in his mid-30’s, one in his upper 20’s and two or three in their young 20’s. While I agree that signing FAs won’t diminish the young players’ growth (I have seen it posted here that it would), I think it does diminish team potential. Will Lebron be patient when Ingram goes into a funk? When Lonzo is passing on open shots?

Now if the FAs are a combination of George, Cousins, Bradley, then the age is less of a factor. Those players will be in their primes when our young players hit their stride in 2-3 years.
dcarter4kobe
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Nov 14, 2017 11:14 am    Post subject:

Lopez/Randle
LeBron/Nance
Ingram/Kuzma
PG13/Hart
Ball

I believe that team can take down GS *dependent on the chemistry/coaching*
TheeChosenLonzo
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Tue Nov 14, 2017 11:16 am    Post subject:

venturalakersfan wrote:
Joe Pesci wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:
Quote:

I am trying to think of a team that won a title with a player in his mid-30’s, one in his upper 20’s and two or three in their young 20’s. While I agree that signing FAs won’t diminish the young players’ growth (I have seen it posted here that it would), I think it does diminish team potential. Will Lebron be patient when Ingram goes into a funk? When Lonzo is passing on open shots?

Now if the FAs are a combination of George, Cousins, Bradley, then the age is less of a factor. Those players will be in their primes when our young players hit their stride in 2-3 years.

LeBron just won a title a year back with K Irving and TT in 5th year and no playoff experience K Love.
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Nov 14, 2017 11:17 am    Post subject:

Spurs won with a young Kahwai (closer to Ingram's age) as Finals MVP, an older Duncan. TP/Manu were important too but I think PG13 is better than them.
RI Laker
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Nov 14, 2017 11:24 am    Post subject:

Let me preface this by saying that beggars can not be choosers. That being said, I really do not want James here. His age does not fit with us getting a championship. We really have to come to the grips that building this team will be a 2 year plus process. Furthermore, nobody is, in all likelihood, going to dethrone the Warriors in the next couple of years. The odds that Lebron's skill set will deteriorate in the next couple of years are very likely (and that is assuming he plays injury free). I would prefer to go in a different direction "IF" we have a choice.
Joe Pesci
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Nov 14, 2017 11:25 am    Post subject:

venturalakersfan wrote:
Joe Pesci wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:
Quote:

Nice to see you coming around, but, even as you seem to be turning a corner, you’re still reaching.

You’re basically implying that LBJ will be bad for Ball and Ingram in reaching their potential, which is ridiculous unless you’re talking about their minutes being cut in half, which you’re clearly not.

You’re somehow inferring that LBJ will impede on Ball’s and Ingram’s potential and thus the potential of the team because of James, more or less, discriminating against them because of their age. You’re reaching, predictably.

Also, stop being so myopic with the “When have we ever seen?” questions.

Every move that LBJ has made we’ve literally never seen before. Can’t you see that?
Joe Pesci
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Nov 14, 2017 11:32 am    Post subject:

dcarter4kobe wrote:
Lopez/Randle
LeBron/Nance
Ingram/Kuzma
PG13/Hart
Ball

If you haven’t read my “vivid imagination” post, we’re definitely kindred thinkers here.

The only difference is that I have Ingram playing in the second unit and Nance starting.

The best part is that it’s possible. If the Lakers are willing to surrender three first rounders and Lopez takes a bargain deal, this team could be a reality.
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Nov 14, 2017 11:46 am    Post subject:

Joe Pesci wrote:
dcarter4kobe wrote:
Lopez/Randle
LeBron/Nance
Ingram/Kuzma
PG13/Hart
Ball

If you haven’t read my “vivid imagination” post, we’re definitely kindred thinkers here.

The only difference is that I have Ingram playing in the second unit and Nance starting.

The best part is that it’s possible. If the Lakers are willing to surrender three first rounders and Lopez takes a bargain deal, this team could be a reality.

Mathematically that's not possible though... sure it would be the ideal situation but it's impossible.
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Nov 14, 2017 11:49 am    Post subject:

TheeChosenLonzo wrote:
venturalakersfan wrote:
Joe Pesci wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:
Quote:

LeBron just won a title a year back with K Irving and TT in 5th year and no playoff experience K Love.

Hence me posting in 2-3 years.
Joe Pesci
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Nov 14, 2017 11:51 am    Post subject:

2019 wrote:
Joe Pesci wrote:
dcarter4kobe wrote:
Lopez/Randle
LeBron/Nance
Ingram/Kuzma
PG13/Hart
Ball

Mathematically that's not possible though... sure it would be the ideal situation but it's impossible.

Cap at 102 mill.

Ingram, Ball, Hart, Kuzma, and Nance at 20 mill total.

George and LBJ at 65 mill (less if my numbers are wrong).

That leaves 17 mill leftover for Lopez and Randle’s $12 million caphold.

Please, humbly correct me where I’m wrong. Pretty sure anything wrong can Ben fixed by George and James taking slight paycuts, especially James.
The Lebrons
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Nov 14, 2017 12:14 pm    Post subject:

I haven't followed this thread closely lately, but I think the biggest development this season as far as a recruiting tool right now is our defense. We finally have something beyond the "we're the Lakers" BS, we have an actual basketball reason to sell people on. Hopefully we keep it up all season, because if we have a top 10 defense, that could make us very attractive to FAs IMO.
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Nov 14, 2017 12:17 pm    Post subject:

Joe Pesci wrote:
2019 wrote:
Joe Pesci wrote:
dcarter4kobe wrote:
Lopez/Randle
LeBron/Nance
Ingram/Kuzma
PG13/Hart
Ball

Cap at 102 mill.

Please, humbly correct me where I’m wrong. Pretty sure anything wrong can Ben fixed by George and James taking slight paycuts, especially James.

I wish that were possible but that is assuming Deng and JC are cleared. JC can be traded for expirings-- Bellinelli and Ilyasova would be a great haul. But Deng is most likely going to be stretched.
Joe Pesci
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Nov 14, 2017 12:24 pm    Post subject:

2019 wrote:
Joe Pesci wrote:
2019 wrote:
Joe Pesci wrote:
dcarter4kobe wrote:
Lopez/Randle
LeBron/Nance
Ingram/Kuzma
PG13/Hart
Ball

Cap at 102 mill.

I wish that were possible but that is assuming Deng and JC are cleared. JC can be traded for expirings-- Bellinelli and Ilyasova would be a great haul. But Deng is most likely going to be stretched.

You are obviously fudging the definition of “possible”.
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Nov 14, 2017 2:16 pm    Post subject:

2019 wrote:
Joe Pesci wrote:
2019 wrote:
Joe Pesci wrote:
dcarter4kobe wrote:
Lopez/Randle
LeBron/Nance
Ingram/Kuzma
PG13/Hart
Ball

Cap at 102 mill.

And cap holds are being ignored, both roster and exceptions
dcarter4kobe
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Nov 14, 2017 11:21 pm    Post subject:

venturalakersfan wrote:
2019 wrote:
Joe Pesci wrote:
2019 wrote:
Joe Pesci wrote:
dcarter4kobe wrote:
Lopez/Randle
LeBron/Nance
Ingram/Kuzma
PG13/Hart
Ball

Cap at 102 mill.

And cap holds are being ignored, both roster and exceptions

For the millionth time, if we somehow can get out of Deng contract in a trade and trade JC for 0 (shouldnt be a problem), the above would be possible.
LeBron-35.35
PG13 or DMC-30.3
Randle-12.4M
Ball-7.4
Ingram-5.7
Nance-2.2
Kuzma-1.7
Hart-1.6
T.Bryant-1.4
3 cap holds
Total 100.5M
Room excpetion-Brook Lopez (if any MLE+ offers dont come)

Also will be interesting to see what the market would be for Randle. If he accepted his QO, we would be able to simply stretch Deng without including assets to dump him while being able to keep Randle or JC.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 146, 147, 148 ... 2077, 2078, 2079  Next
Page 147 of 2079
Jump to: