OFFICIAL BRANDON INGRAM THREAD
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 746, 747, 748 ... 1883, 1884, 1885  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> General Basketball Discussion Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
GoldenThroat

PostPosted: Tue Nov 14, 2017 8:23 am    Post subject:

governator wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:
I think ideally, Ingram would be a 3rd option who can pick up some of the scoring slack with the 2nd unit. No confidence in his jumper, his FTs stink, and his finishing on half court drives are very inconsistent.

Being thrust into the #1 scoring option early on was tough. He's sort of settling behind Brook as a 1B option, though I still think he's not ready for that role on a playoff level team.

With the trade, I feel like guys like Lonzo/Ingram were put into situations that were not completely ideal (Lonzo needing another facilitator at the guard position in half court; Ingram with having a more versatile perimeter scorer to take the load off of him). It's sink or swim and hopefully we get our 2 max guys who can help Lonzo/Ingram grow a bit more naturally into their roles.

with 2 max platers, BI can go focus on lock down D (and shoot 3)... imagine a 6'9 with 7'3 wingspan T.Allen

With 2 max players, you need guys who can catch & shoot. If we get LBJ & George, I think Ingram is a prime candidate to be moved for a third star who's already under contract.
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Nov 14, 2017 8:30 am    Post subject:

GoldenThroat wrote:
governator wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:
I think ideally, Ingram would be a 3rd option who can pick up some of the scoring slack with the 2nd unit. No confidence in his jumper, his FTs stink, and his finishing on half court drives are very inconsistent.

Being thrust into the #1 scoring option early on was tough. He's sort of settling behind Brook as a 1B option, though I still think he's not ready for that role on a playoff level team.

With the trade, I feel like guys like Lonzo/Ingram were put into situations that were not completely ideal (Lonzo needing another facilitator at the guard position in half court; Ingram with having a more versatile perimeter scorer to take the load off of him). It's sink or swim and hopefully we get our 2 max guys who can help Lonzo/Ingram grow a bit more naturally into their roles.

with 2 max platers, BI can go focus on lock down D (and shoot 3)... imagine a 6'9 with 7'3 wingspan T.Allen

With 2 max players, you need guys who can catch & shoot. If we get LBJ & George, I think Ingram is a prime candidate to be moved for a third star who's already under contract.

Hmm...
Dr. Funkbot
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Nov 14, 2017 8:31 am    Post subject:

tox wrote:
LakersNewEra wrote:
Not an untouchable IMO. If we get George, in the words of Kobe...ship his arse out!!!

Why? For what?

I do not want to trade BI for George. BI has shown flashes and I think he is going to end up being an all star. George we can get in free agency. I don't think he is too happy in OKC. But even if we don't get him I am ok with that. He is getting up there in years and does not really fit age wise with our core.

We have seen in Deng how players can loose their effectiveness pretty quickly as they get older. I'd be perfectly fine re-upping Randle who now plays D and maybe even Lopez at a discount and KCP if we get spurned in the FA market again. I think this team is clicking on D and will only get better with age and more coaching and roster continuity. AKA how the spurs build teams.
governator
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Nov 14, 2017 9:16 am    Post subject:

GoldenThroat wrote:
governator wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:

Like who (and does math $ works)?
TheeChosenLonzo
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Tue Nov 14, 2017 9:18 am    Post subject:

GoldenThroat wrote:
governator wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:

totally fine with that.
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Nov 14, 2017 9:51 am    Post subject:

KeepItRealOrElse wrote:
KingKobe20 wrote:
I don’t remember his jumper being this stagnant last season as a rookie.

Or maybe it wasn’t under the spotlight as much with DLO taking majority of the big shots?

What do you mean stagnant ?

Maybe him not making a jumper since the Celtics game?
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Nov 14, 2017 9:52 am    Post subject:

tox wrote:
LakersNewEra wrote:
Not an untouchable IMO. If we get George, in the words of Kobe...ship his arse out!!!

Why? For what?

I wanted to trade him for George.
Stumpy25
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Nov 14, 2017 11:33 am    Post subject:

RI Laker wrote:
BI will be a STUD. His is clearly going thru growing pains (physically and emotionally). He has had some great games this year and has taken a big step forward. The key with his game is to get him involved early. He does not have the will or drive to force his way into action (it will come).

Not until he gets some confidence on that jumper of his. Right now it looks ugly as he would rather drive to the rim and force a contested shot instead of taking an easy pull up 20 footer.
He's taking that Randle approach, lower that head and drive to the rim at any cost.
Stumpy25
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Nov 14, 2017 11:34 am    Post subject:

venturalakersfan wrote:
tox wrote:
LakersNewEra wrote:

Why? For what?

I wanted to trade him for George.

I actually agree with you on this one.
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Nov 14, 2017 11:47 am    Post subject:

But I have no issue with Ingram not being traded for PG.
TheBlackMamba
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Nov 14, 2017 11:48 am    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:
GoldenThroat wrote:
governator wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:

Hmm...

I don't know. If a team is giving up a third star-type of player for him, doesn't that mean he showed real growth this year as a prospect, which for him is really centered around the jumpshot? And if that's the case, why would we deal him, especially given that there's no irrational hate from the FO towards him like there was with Dlo (far from it, actually, for Mr. Untouchable)?

Not saying he's clearly trending in one direction or another, but if he's closer to the player we've seen the past couple of games for the rest of the season, no one is trading a star for him. The value of a drafted player around the NBA begins to sharply decline after a year or two if they don't show quick and noticeable progress. Even Dlo was essentially a salary dump (on the upper end as far as salary dumps go, but still) and he actually looked like a future All-Star after the ASB both of his first two seasons. And if you disregard that as a bad example because of the aforementioned irrational hate, Kris Dunn was basically a throw-in a year after he was drafted #5 overall in the Jimmy Butler deal. Now BI is a lot younger of a prospect, but the point is that if he's really not a special talent, the time to deal him was last year when there was still a market for him if you go by what was reported regarding Boogie and PG13.

I'm sure GT wouldn't say that without hearing a whisper or two, which makes me think this FO is truly delusional and barely has a clue what it's doing. We're really just gonna waste all those years of tanking, aren't we? There's now a scenario where we may not have our 2014-2016 1st rounders on the roster next season. Talk about cleaning house...
governator
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Nov 14, 2017 12:22 pm    Post subject:

TheBlackMamba wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:
GoldenThroat wrote:
governator wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:

Hmm...

I don't know. If a team is giving up a third star-type of player for him, doesn't that mean he showed real growth this year as a prospect, which for him is really centered around the jumpshot? And if that's the case, why would we deal him, especially given that there's no irrational hate from the FO towards him like there was with Dlo (far from it, actually, for Mr. Untouchable)?

Not saying he's clearly trending in one direction or another, but if he's closer to the player we've seen the past couple of games for the rest of the season, no one is trading a star for him. The value of a drafted player around the NBA begins to sharply decline after a year or two if they don't show quick and noticeable progress. Even Dlo was essentially a salary dump (on the upper end as far as salary dumps go, but still) and he actually looked like a future All-Star after the ASB both of his first two seasons. And if you disregard that as a bad example because of the aforementioned irrational hate, Kris Dunn was basically a throw-in a year after he was drafted #5 overall in the Jimmy Butler deal. Now BI is a lot younger of a prospect, but the point is that if he's really not a special talent, the time to deal him was last year when there was still a market for him if you go by what was reported regarding Boogie and PG13.

I'm sure GT wouldn't say that without hearing a whisper or two, which makes me think this FO is truly delusional and barely has a clue what it's doing. We're really just gonna waste all those years of tanking, aren't we? There's now a scenario where we may not have our 2014-2016 1st rounders on the roster next season. Talk about cleaning house...

If we sign both LBJ/PG, we'll be maxed out summer 2019... So either trade Ingram for 125% of his rookie contract $ or keep Ingram over cap for his cap hold... these are the options right?
KingKobe20
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Nov 14, 2017 12:23 pm    Post subject:

venturalakersfan wrote:
But I have no issue with Ingram not being traded for PG.

Fwiw I completely understand that it wouldn’t have been unwise if we made this swap due to BI’s lacking performances at times this season.

I’m Just hoping BI can stay afloat till next season.
Especially if we can land both ,PG and say Demarcus Cousins in free agency.

I feel those two would be excellent mentors for BI. PG to show him How to protect the ball and attack as a priemer swingman. An Boogie could instill toughness and grit.

Kawhi Leonard 2.0

aka ILLWiLL20

R.I.P PHIL
Sentient Meat
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Nov 14, 2017 12:31 pm    Post subject:

Ingram is the type of player who will most benefit from adding the FAs.
He's got a lot of raw talent, but he's fragile mentally (mostly just youth)
When he's buried as the third or fourth option, he will have a lot more room in which to work, he will gain confidence from seeing a dominant player take over the game, and he will have much less scrutiny of his every move.

You can see when they start out poorly, not just Ingram but the whole team tenses up and start to press on every play. This results in missed layups, missed tap ins, a lot of frantic play under the rim where balls are fumbled out of bounds... where as when they hit the first few shots, the team relaxes and starts to play to its full potential. With a Lebron as the centerpoint of the entire team, Ingram can relax knowing the fate of the team doesn't rest on his every move... same for Ball. That weight is too much for most first or second year players to carry.
GoldenThroat

PostPosted: Tue Nov 14, 2017 12:36 pm    Post subject:

TheBlackMamba wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:
GoldenThroat wrote:
governator wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:

Hmm...

I'm totally saying that without hearing a whisper or two, lol. It's just me thinking out loud. Ingram doesn't have to make some huge leap for a team to justify getting itself out of a contract. Remember who Pau was traded for.
RI Laker
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Nov 14, 2017 1:03 pm    Post subject:

governator wrote:
GoldenThroat wrote:
governator wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:

Like who (and does math $ works)?

There is nobody.
bballchinaski
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Tue Nov 14, 2017 1:05 pm    Post subject:

GoldenThroat wrote:
TheBlackMamba wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:
GoldenThroat wrote:
governator wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:

Hmm...

I'm totally saying that without hearing a whisper or two, lol. It's just me thinking out loud. Ingram doesn't have to make some huge leap for a team to justify getting itself out of a contract. Remember who Pau was traded for.

for a dude who preaches patience for young guys you seem to jump on ingram quite fast. Didnt saw you wanting to get rid of him when his jumper was falling, if it falls again do you want to trade him?

Let go of the dlo stuff, it's over man.
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Nov 14, 2017 1:08 pm    Post subject:

Quote:
for a dude who preaches patience for young guys you seem to jump on ingram quite fast. Didnt saw you wanting to get rid of him when his jumper was falling, if it falls again do you want to trade him?

*grabs popcorn.
mad55557777
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Nov 14, 2017 1:28 pm    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:
Quote:

*grabs popcorn.

if BI has Ben Simmon's body, he would be a super star already. he has all the moves, but gets bumped off balance too often. it will be a process,
TheBlackMamba
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Nov 14, 2017 1:28 pm    Post subject:

GoldenThroat wrote:

Lol, ok then. Just wouldn't put it past them to trade another young kid too soon. I'm not against trading BI in the right deal, but I also don't think we can afford to lose another trade, because our pool of assets really isn't as expansive as you would think after four years of tank wars. If we end up trading him for pennies on the dollar, it's going to make the Dlo trade look even more foolish than it did already because we could've just used BI in that deal to begin with. It's a sunk cost, but these things still pile up in the long run.

Also, looking around the league right now, there aren't too many unhappy situations between a star and his team with all the deals of the past summer, though certainly one could develop over the year. Love maybe? Not sure if Lebron would want him, though. On a side note, it would be amazing if we could just appeal to his emotions and convince BroLo to take a one-year paycut with the promise of a bigger contract next summer. There's your third star right there.
tox
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Nov 14, 2017 1:38 pm    Post subject:

bballchinaski wrote:

Are you disagreeing that next to LeBron (forget about PG for a second), you want guys who can catch and shoot?
Dr. Funkbot
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Nov 14, 2017 2:02 pm    Post subject:

BI will come around. Kid is only 20. His shot will fall again. Have a little faith.
tox
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Nov 14, 2017 2:04 pm    Post subject:

Dr. Funkbot wrote:
BI will come around. Kid is only 20. His shot will fall again. Have a little faith.

I just can't. His statistical markers are hardly better than Julius's when it comes to shooting. That scares me.
Andre2K
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Nov 14, 2017 2:07 pm    Post subject:

TheBlackMamba wrote:
GoldenThroat wrote:

Lol, ok then. Just wouldn't put it past them to trade another young kid too soon. I'm not against trading BI in the right deal, but I also don't think we can afford to lose another trade, because our pool of assets really isn't as expansive as you would think after four years of tank wars. If we end up trading him for pennies on the dollar, it's going to make the Dlo trade look even more foolish than it did already because we could've just used BI in that deal to begin with. It's a sunk cost, but these things still pile up in the long run.

Also, looking around the league right now, there aren't too many unhappy situations between a star and his team with all the deals of the past summer, though certainly one could develop over the year. Love maybe? Not sure if Lebron would want him, though. On a side note, it would be amazing if we could just appeal to his emotions and convince BroLo to take a one-year paycut with the promise of a bigger contract next summer. There's your third star right there.

I think trading BI would be good for both sides, he’d go somewhere where he’d be able to grow into his body and learn how to play the game under a coach that knows how to use him with less pressure similar to the situation with Oladipo and the Pacers.

Because it’s all about Lonzo right now, BI is not a shooter so it hasn’t been the perfect fit so far. Both players are super young, they’d need a lot of time to grow but I doubt the lakers are patient enough to give them the time they need to grow together, so trading BI for a more polished star could be what’s best for both sides and hopefully that makes the fans happy.

Pg Lonzo
Sg Kawhi
Sf Ingram
Pf Lebron
C Dedmon

Bench: Caruso, Hart, Bullock, Kuzma, McGee etc
GoldenThroat

PostPosted: Tue Nov 14, 2017 2:07 pm    Post subject:

bballchinaski wrote:

Lol at bringing up Russell, I didn't say anything about him. Weird how I'm able to be very optimistic about Lonzo, Kuzma, & even Randle now without Russell getting in the way, but for some reason I can't do it with Ingram. It isn't how these guys...I dunno...ACTUALLY PLAY...it's that.

And when, pray tell, was his jumper falling? He's made 7 threes this year. He's constantly passing up shots that other guys would take and make at a decent clip.

He hasn't played well by any of the metrics that I value for ALL players, bears little to no statistical resemblance to any of the guys that we hope he'll become when they were the same age. Even in the best case scenario, he's a couple of years away from being a 3rd option on a championship contender who's capable of knocking down open 3's with consistency.

Here's a newsflash. If we sign LeBron James, who will be 34 early next season...we're trying to win a title right away. What Brandon Ingram (or any of our other players for that matter) could be when they're 25 is pretty irrelevant to that cause. When the Cavs signed LeBron, they traded Andrew Wiggins...who projected to be a better prospect than Ingram...for a 3rd-option in Kevin Love.

But we wouldn't do the same because a couple of decision-makers that didn't draft him think that maybe Ingram (or anyone else on this team) might be really good...some day? But I guess I'm just saying all that because I just can't get over the Russell trade and none of it actually makes sense.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> General Basketball Discussion All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 746, 747, 748 ... 1883, 1884, 1885  Next
Page 747 of 1885
Jump to: