OFFICIAL LONZO BALL THREAD
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 629, 630, 631 ... 1686, 1687, 1688  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> General Basketball Discussion Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Nov 14, 2017 1:21 pm    Post subject:

mad55557777 wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:
Imagine a backcourt of Lonzo/PG13, with Ingram/LBJ flanking the wings. So much switch-ability on defense.

i think it would be a dream come true if we can get Klay down the road somehow. he is like the perfect fit for Lonzo

I just don't see him leaving a possibly 4 time champ team. I understand they have a lot of players to pay, but would he leave the Warriors? Not sure.
adkindo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Nov 14, 2017 1:24 pm    Post subject:

BennyLava wrote:
Say what you will, tell sixers process seems to be working. They would never get here through FA, this was their only path and now they have perhaps the best foundational talent to be dominant over the next decade or so. They have already locked down Embiid to a multi year contract.

Draft and youth / player development is the blueprint to long term success in the NBA.
mad55557777
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Nov 14, 2017 1:25 pm    Post subject:

TheBlackMamba wrote:
I think we don't win this game if one of JC/Brewer comes out for him. Not a slight against him, but I'm glad Luke rode the hot hand for once.

yeah, Brewer has Booker's number. KCP couldn't stop him. what does that say about Booker when an old journey man can shut him down like that ...
prime Brewer stands no chance against Kobe.
mad55557777
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Nov 14, 2017 1:26 pm    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:
mad55557777 wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:
Imagine a backcourt of Lonzo/PG13, with Ingram/LBJ flanking the wings. So much switch-ability on defense.

i think it would be a dream come true if we can get Klay down the road somehow. he is like the perfect fit for Lonzo

I just don't see him leaving a possibly 4 time champ team. I understand they have a lot of players to pay, but would he leave the Warriors? Not sure.

repeater tax will hit the warriors hard, they can't afford to give both klay and Green max contracts since Curry and KD will both be on Super MAX.
if it comes down to Green vs Klay, i think the Dubs would keep Green.
and i think Klay will be almost a lock for the lakers if that happens.
won't be next year
JustWinBaby
Rookie
Rookie

PostPosted: Tue Nov 14, 2017 1:27 pm    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:
BynumForThree wrote:
BennyLava wrote:
Say what you will, tell sixers process seems to be working. They would never get here through FA, this was their only path and now they have perhaps the best foundational talent to be dominant over the next decade or so. They have already locked down Embiid to a multi year contract.

Yup, I always supported what they did. Simply the smartest way to go about rebuilding from their position. Everyone (including most of this board) was laughing at them but they're set to dominate the league when the Warriors are done.

By the way how great is the league right now in terms of young talent?

Simmons is a bigger and more athletic Magic Johnson, Embiid is Hakeem with a 3 pointer, Giannis might go down as the most physically gifted athlete in NBA history, Towns is a center with the shooting and agility of a guard, Jokic could be the greatest passing big man ever and Porz is an NBA unicorn with his shooting, rim-protecting ability and size. Not to mention that Anthony Davis is only 24 years old.

We'll see if Lonzo can make the jump needed to be in the same sentence as those players.

76ers had the #3, #3, and #1 picks while the Lakers had #2, #2, #2. We actually ended up with higher draft picks on average.

Actually, should count Embiid. #4, #3, #3, #1 (Average of 2.75). Lakers #7, #2, #2, #2 (Average of 3.25). So Philly has better picks last 4 drafts.
Baron Von Humongous
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Nov 14, 2017 1:31 pm    Post subject:

BynumForThree wrote:
BennyLava wrote:

Yup, I always supported what they did. Simply the smartest way to go about rebuilding from their position. Everyone (including most of this board) was laughing at them but they're set to dominate the league when the Warriors are done.

Simmons is a bigger and more athletic Magic Johnson, Embiid is Hakeem with a 3 pointer, Giannis might go down as the most physically gifted athlete in NBA history, Towns is a center with the shooting and agility of a guard, Jokic could be the greatest passing big man ever and Porz is an NBA unicorn with his shooting, rim-protecting ability and size. Not to mention that Anthony Davis is only 24 years old.

We'll see if Lonzo can make the jump needed to be in the same sentence as those players.

A few quick thoughts:

The international appeal of basketball has helped the NBA immensely. Only Towns grew up in the US among those top young players. It'll be interesting to see if American NBA fans fully embrace a foreign-born player as the next Jordan/Kobe/Lebron - can Latvian Kristaps Porzingis capture American hearts and minds and disposable income?

Bigs with guard skills should dominate the next phase of the NBA, but we should be patient with the current crop of young guards who will probably take a little longer to break out as stars. Going up against Deandre Jordan occasionally is a lot easier for Joel Embiid right now than De'Aaron Fox facing off against Russell Westbrook, Harden, Wall, Curry, Kyrie, etc. night after night

Who are the next great wings under age 25? Wiggins can score a ton, but seems unlikely to ever make the leap into Kawhi Leonard territory; Otto Porter is more high end role-player than star; Ingram, Brown, Oubre, and JJax have a ways to go. Is it really Jayson Tatum? The 2017 PG crop renewed my faith in the future of that position (along with DLo), so hopefully an upcoming draft class will give the NBA it's next McGrady, George, Leonard, Durant, or even Kobe or Jordan.
epak
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Nov 14, 2017 1:32 pm    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:

76ers had the #3, #3, and #1 picks while the Lakers had #2, #2, #2. We actually ended up with higher draft picks on average.

I shudder to think what LG would have been like if each of the Lakers draft picks missed their first years due to injuries.
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Nov 14, 2017 1:33 pm    Post subject:

Lottery picks:

Noel (via trade): 6th pick
MCW: 11th pick
Saric (via trade): 12th pick
Embiid: 3rd
Oak: 3rd
Simmons: 1st.

Average: 6

Jules: 7th
DLO: 2nd
Ingram: 2nd
Lonzo: 2nd

Average: 3.25
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Nov 14, 2017 1:35 pm    Post subject:

What's amazing is that the 76ers wrote off a 6th (Noel), 11th (MCW) and 3rd pick (Oak) and still have a crazy core.
Baron Von Humongous
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Nov 14, 2017 1:35 pm    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:
Lottery picks:

Noel (traded for): 6th pick

Average: 4.8

You're forgetting Saric in 2014 (the Sixers traded down with Orlando).
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Nov 14, 2017 1:37 pm    Post subject:

Baron Von Humongous wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:
Lottery picks:

Noel (traded for): 6th pick

Average: 4.8

You're forgetting Saric in 2014 (the Sixers traded down with Orlando).

Already edited that b/f your post. But yeah, their strategy was to amass as many pieces and have as many shots to finding a gem.
adkindo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Nov 14, 2017 1:38 pm    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:
Lottery picks:

its skewed with the 2 years of multiple lottery picks. If you simply just take the highest lottery pick from each year, both teams have an average of 3.25.
Dr. Funkbot
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Nov 14, 2017 1:43 pm    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:
Lottery picks:

If you throw Kuz in there the average will be a lot higher.
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Nov 14, 2017 1:46 pm    Post subject:

Dr. Funkbot wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:
Lottery picks:

If you throw Kuz in there the average will be a lot higher.

76ers also have guys like Covington (undrafted) who will be a major part of their program.

Actually, i messed up. I forgot to include Fultz!
BynumForThree
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Nov 14, 2017 1:54 pm    Post subject:

What the Sixers also did was stockpile a bunch of assets and retain cap flexibility which the Lakers refused to do. Look at what Brooklyn got for a washed up Pierce and Garnett. The Lakers would've been in a much better position if they traded Kobe to a contender for picks and prospects. But what's done is done. Lakers have a ways to go before they catch up with Philly.

For all of you out there questioning Jimmer Fredette of BYU, he is the real deal. - Magic Johnson Mar 20, 2011
leor_77
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Nov 14, 2017 2:00 pm    Post subject:

BynumForThree wrote:
What the Sixers also did was stockpile a bunch of assets and retain cap flexibility which the Lakers refused to do. Look at what Brooklyn got for a washed up Pierce and Garnett. The Lakers would've been in a much better position if they traded Kobe to a contender for picks and prospects. But what's done is done. Lakers have a ways to go before they catch up with Philly.

And Pau - but then again, Pau seemed to have a "peculiar" way of getting injured right before trade deadlines.

Last edited by leor_77 on Tue Nov 14, 2017 2:00 pm; edited 1 time in total
noahp45
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Nov 14, 2017 2:00 pm    Post subject:

Ball needs to get a bubble shot and that Lil layup that Nash would do when he would beat a big man and lay in right in with out leaving the ground.
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Nov 14, 2017 2:02 pm    Post subject:

mad55557777 wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:
mad55557777 wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:

repeater tax will hit the warriors hard, they can't afford to give both klay and Green max contracts since Curry and KD will both be on Super MAX.
won't be next year

Have you seen their ownership group? There is no such thing as “Warriors can’t afford”.
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Nov 14, 2017 2:04 pm    Post subject:

BynumForThree wrote:

Lakers did the right thing by not trading Kobe. KG and Pierce were never anywhere near Kobe's level of impact/importance/generational dominance. They could have offered him less but that's it.

Lakers made the mistake of not trading Dwight and Pau when they had the chance. Pau's value dipped quickly so I guess that one was excusable but Dwight should have been traded. Hell, Brooklyn would have likely offered the same stuff Boston got for KG/PP...
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Nov 14, 2017 2:05 pm    Post subject:

epak wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:

I shudder to think what LG would have been like if each of the Lakers draft picks missed their first years due to injuries.

I supported using the 7 pick on Embiid if he lasted that long.
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Nov 14, 2017 2:06 pm    Post subject:

mad55557777 wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:
mad55557777 wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:

won't be next year

Not sure about that. I think if that came down to fruition (and I dispute it), they would move Klay via trade first rather then letting him walk for nothing.
TheeChosenLonzo
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Tue Nov 14, 2017 2:06 pm    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:
BynumForThree wrote:
BennyLava wrote:

not true.

2014 #3 Embiid #7 Randle
2015 #3 Ok4 #2 DLO
2016 #1 simmons #2 ingram
2017 #1 fultz #2 ball
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Nov 14, 2017 2:07 pm    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:
What's amazing is that the 76ers wrote off a 6th (Noel), 11th (MCW) and 3rd pick (Oak) and still have a crazy core.

That is because they have the two best individual players out of that group
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Nov 14, 2017 2:08 pm    Post subject:

TheeChosenLonzo wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:
BynumForThree wrote:
BennyLava wrote:

not true.

2014 #3 Embiid #7 Randle
2015 #3 Ok4 #2 DLO
2016 #1 simmons #2 ingram
2017 #1 fultz #2 ball

Read my above edits. Also, Philly's "Process" actually started in 2013 with the MCW/Noel year.
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Nov 14, 2017 2:09 pm    Post subject:

BynumForThree wrote:

No trade clause
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> General Basketball Discussion All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 629, 630, 631 ... 1686, 1687, 1688  Next
Page 630 of 1688
Jump to: