Are the Celtics for real?
Goto page 1, 2  Next

 
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> General Basketball Discussion Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
lakersken80
Retired Number
Retired Number


Joined: 12 Aug 2009
Posts: 28502

PostPosted: Tue Nov 14, 2017 11:25 am    Post subject: Are the Celtics for real?

http://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/21405860/can-boston-celtics-possibly-keep-their-remarkable-start
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
governator
Star Player
Star Player


Joined: 28 Jan 2006
Posts: 6799

PostPosted: Tue Nov 14, 2017 11:27 am    Post subject:

don't know about a .900 winning percentage but they're contender for sure, they can even add another player under the exception
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
999
Franchise Player
Franchise Player


Joined: 19 Oct 2006
Posts: 19635

PostPosted: Tue Nov 14, 2017 2:44 pm    Post subject:

they are for real but not enough to beat GSW in a finals game.


sidenote: I love how the cavs are going swiftly down the toilet I just hope the same thing happens to San Antonio and the Clippers
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
unleasHell
Star Player
Star Player


Joined: 16 Apr 2001
Posts: 8377
Location: Stay Thirsty my Friends

PostPosted: Tue Nov 14, 2017 5:50 pm    Post subject:

I hate the Celtics but anything that leads to LeBron signing here is a good thing...
_________________
BRING ON THE DANCING HORSES...!
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
32
Retired Number
Retired Number


Joined: 04 Nov 2009
Posts: 52147

PostPosted: Tue Nov 14, 2017 6:11 pm    Post subject:

Yes they are for real even without Hayward. They still have Kyrie/Horford. They also have an $8M DPE to use and they will likely use it. I wouldn't rule out a trade either with all those assets/young players they have. The east is wide open this year.
_________________
Nobody in the NBA can touch the Laker brand, which, like the uniform color, is pure gold.


Last edited by 32 on Tue Nov 14, 2017 6:12 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
unleasHell
Star Player
Star Player


Joined: 16 Apr 2001
Posts: 8377
Location: Stay Thirsty my Friends

PostPosted: Tue Nov 14, 2017 6:12 pm    Post subject:

The Celts need a veteran on their team...like DENG...!
_________________
BRING ON THE DANCING HORSES...!
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
Shecky
Rookie
Rookie


Joined: 03 Jul 2016
Posts: 23

PostPosted: Wed Nov 15, 2017 2:07 pm    Post subject:

Tomorrow night should be interesting. I think Boston's for real and with that coach and that young talent they'll be around for awhile. But it's near-impossible for me to believe they're at a level with Golden State. Not this season, at least. Hopefully it'll be a highly entertaining game Thursday in Boston.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
The Grind
Star Player
Star Player


Joined: 28 May 2011
Posts: 6973
Location: PTY

PostPosted: Wed Nov 15, 2017 3:00 pm    Post subject:

I wonder what the media's excuse will be if Kyrie leads his team to a better record than LeBron's Cavs.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
lakersken80
Retired Number
Retired Number


Joined: 12 Aug 2009
Posts: 28502

PostPosted: Wed Nov 15, 2017 3:12 pm    Post subject:

unleasHell wrote:
The Celts need a veteran on their team...like DENG...!


We need to find that magic wand.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
Raijin
Star Player
Star Player


Joined: 08 Feb 2009
Posts: 6413

PostPosted: Wed Nov 15, 2017 7:32 pm    Post subject:

The Grind wrote:
I wonder what the media's excuse will be if Kyrie leads his team to a better record than LeBron's Cavs.

That the Celtics are the premiere franchise in the league not LA
_________________
"It was tough," Kobe Bryant said. "But when it got really tough for me, I just checked myself in."
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
BirdMagicLegend
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation


Joined: 17 Jun 2008
Posts: 240
Location: Boston, MA

PostPosted: Thu Nov 16, 2017 10:20 am    Post subject:

lakersken80 wrote:
unleasHell wrote:
The Celts need a veteran on their team...like DENG...!


We need to find that magic wand.


Nah give up Kuzma to the Celtics and we'll give you Yabusele.
_________________
"Larry, you only told me one lie. You said there will be another Larry Bird. Larry, there will never, ever be another Larry Bird." — Magic Johnson
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
Dr. Funkbot
Star Player
Star Player


Joined: 24 Sep 2001
Posts: 6984
Location: Eagle Rock

PostPosted: Thu Nov 16, 2017 12:00 pm    Post subject:

Yes. They did the rebuild right. They traded away their aging players for picks and blew up the whole roster. We tried to rebuild AND be competitive at the same time, so our rebuild was delayed. We are about 3 years behind the Celtics because of the Kobe extension and the Mozdeng deals.
_________________
R.I.P. Doc Buss

"I think we often overlook the best way for a team like these Lakers to obtain star level players is to turn their current players into stars, rather than looking for outside help."
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
lakeshow03
Star Player
Star Player


Joined: 19 Jul 2005
Posts: 2858

PostPosted: Thu Nov 16, 2017 12:39 pm    Post subject:

Dr. Funkbot wrote:
Yes. They did the rebuild right. They traded away their aging players for picks and blew up the whole roster. We tried to rebuild AND be competitive at the same time, so our rebuild was delayed. We are about 3 years behind the Celtics because of the Kobe extension and the Mozdeng deals.


To be fair they’re not good because their picks turned out to be great, but because of trades and free agent signings. Also, a huge part of it is they picked up a great coach
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
Krispy Kreme
Franchise Player
Franchise Player


Joined: 30 Mar 2003
Posts: 12163

PostPosted: Thu Nov 16, 2017 12:40 pm    Post subject:

They are a good team, but they won't beat the Cavs in the ECF.

Let's not kid ourselves. We know that is what the match-up is going to be. Forget the other teams in the east.

Cavs in 6 games over Boston in the ECF.

With Gordon Hayward, they will contend more next year.
_________________
Dominating every day.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
lakeshow03
Star Player
Star Player


Joined: 19 Jul 2005
Posts: 2858

PostPosted: Thu Nov 16, 2017 12:44 pm    Post subject:

Krispy Kreme wrote:
They are a good team, but they won't beat the Cavs in the ECF.

Let's not kid ourselves. We know that is what the match-up is going to be. Forget the other teams in the east.

Cavs in 6 games over Boston in the ECF.

With Gordon Hayward, they will contend more next year.


If the Cavs keep digging themselves in a hole which requires major minutes from LeBron and co it could get interesting.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
Dr. Funkbot
Star Player
Star Player


Joined: 24 Sep 2001
Posts: 6984
Location: Eagle Rock

PostPosted: Thu Nov 16, 2017 2:09 pm    Post subject:

lakeshow03 wrote:
Dr. Funkbot wrote:
Yes. They did the rebuild right. They traded away their aging players for picks and blew up the whole roster. We tried to rebuild AND be competitive at the same time, so our rebuild was delayed. We are about 3 years behind the Celtics because of the Kobe extension and the Mozdeng deals.


To be fair they’re not good because their picks turned out to be great, but because of trades and free agent signings. Also, a huge part of it is they picked up a great coach


Agree with that for sure. The smart but difficult thing that they did was not not overpay/extend their aging stars. Thus they avoided the purgatory of being good enough to be in the playoffs but with no chance of advancing and having all of their money tied up in increasingly declining assets.
_________________
R.I.P. Doc Buss

"I think we often overlook the best way for a team like these Lakers to obtain star level players is to turn their current players into stars, rather than looking for outside help."
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
Krispy Kreme
Franchise Player
Franchise Player


Joined: 30 Mar 2003
Posts: 12163

PostPosted: Thu Nov 16, 2017 3:04 pm    Post subject:

lakeshow03 wrote:
Krispy Kreme wrote:
They are a good team, but they won't beat the Cavs in the ECF.

Let's not kid ourselves. We know that is what the match-up is going to be. Forget the other teams in the east.

Cavs in 6 games over Boston in the ECF.

With Gordon Hayward, they will contend more next year.


If the Cavs keep digging themselves in a hole which requires major minutes from LeBron and co it could get interesting.


i agree... i hope for once he will get REALLY challenged in a series before the finals. it's been years since he was. and toronto was no true threat even though they took them to 6 games a few years ago. everyone knew who would win that series.
_________________
Dominating every day.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
32
Retired Number
Retired Number


Joined: 04 Nov 2009
Posts: 52147

PostPosted: Thu Nov 16, 2017 5:58 pm    Post subject:

Quote:
"It sure looks like Boston is the team of the future in the East, with the assets that they still have and their young talent and their coaching, and Kyrie [Irving] is amazing," Kerr said after practice Tuesday. "That looks like a team that is going to be at the top of the East for a long time to come. Whether their time is now or the future, that's to be determined, but they sure look like they want it to be right now."

LINK
_________________
Nobody in the NBA can touch the Laker brand, which, like the uniform color, is pure gold.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
slavavov
Star Player
Star Player


Joined: 03 Oct 2003
Posts: 3703
Location: Santa Monica

PostPosted: Thu Nov 16, 2017 6:54 pm    Post subject:

Hayward or no Hayward, that team needs Kyrie to become a big time scorer. He's being too passive right now. Isn't this what he wanted? Didn't he want to spread his wings and score close to 30 a game? That's what they need to have any chance of taking down Lebron in the playoffs.
_________________
"Lindsay Hunter is starting to make Devean George look like John Stockton" - Bill Walton, Game 4 of the 2002 WCFs
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
ringfinger
Franchise Player
Franchise Player


Joined: 08 Oct 2013
Posts: 18730

PostPosted: Thu Nov 16, 2017 7:06 pm    Post subject:

Brad stevens is so good. I mean, they started out slow after the hayward injury and have reeled off 13 wins since then. Damn.

Interrsting dilemma they'll have when Hayward is back because jaylen brown looks really good
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
chantruong
Star Player
Star Player


Joined: 15 Jun 2009
Posts: 3290

PostPosted: Thu Nov 16, 2017 7:10 pm    Post subject:

19-0 Run
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
ringfinger
Franchise Player
Franchise Player


Joined: 08 Oct 2013
Posts: 18730

PostPosted: Thu Nov 16, 2017 7:12 pm    Post subject:

slavavov wrote:
Hayward or no Hayward, that team needs Kyrie to become a big time scorer. He's being too passive right now. Isn't this what he wanted? Didn't he want to spread his wings and score close to 30 a game? That's what they need to have any chance of taking down Lebron in the playoffs.


He's still dealing with the effects of a broken face. Started out the game with a mask on, took it off so probably a little tentative.

But I'd say he's done just fine. They have won 13 in a row and i believe are the leagues best defense.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
ksmgf
Star Player
Star Player


Joined: 24 Jun 2005
Posts: 1941

PostPosted: Thu Nov 16, 2017 7:54 pm    Post subject:

And they beat GS tonite Is Jalen Brown a future all star?
_________________
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
lakersken80
Retired Number
Retired Number


Joined: 12 Aug 2009
Posts: 28502

PostPosted: Thu Nov 16, 2017 7:57 pm    Post subject:

ringfinger wrote:
Brad stevens is so good. I mean, they started out slow after the hayward injury and have reeled off 13 wins since then. Damn.

Interrsting dilemma they'll have when Hayward is back because jaylen brown looks really good


Thats one hell of a rebuild job they did...they missed the playoffs for what 1 year?
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
Rhazz
Sixth Man
Sixth Man


Joined: 13 Mar 2017
Posts: 47

PostPosted: Thu Nov 16, 2017 8:03 pm    Post subject:

lakersken80 wrote:
ringfinger wrote:
Brad stevens is so good. I mean, they started out slow after the hayward injury and have reeled off 13 wins since then. Damn.

Interrsting dilemma they'll have when Hayward is back because jaylen brown looks really good


Thats one hell of a rebuild job they did...they missed the playoffs for what 1 year?


As much as I dislike the Leprechauns gotta hand it to ‘em on the rebuild. Smart drafting, smart in free agency, pulling triggers on good trades and a great coaching pick. Meanwhile Lakers have only done a good job in the draft. A series of goofy coaches and bad free agency pick ups seem to have insured that we’re a few steps behind teams like the Celtics, Wolves and Sixers. But all that can be erased with a strong free agency this summer.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
Display posts from previous:   
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> General Basketball Discussion All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2
Jump to:  

 
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum






Graphics by uberzev
© 1995-2010 LakersGround.net. All Rights Reserved. Privacy Policy. Terms of Use.
LakersGround is an unofficial news source serving the fan community since 1995.
We are in no way associated with the Los Angeles Lakers or the National Basketball Association.


Powered by phpBB