OFFICIAL BRANDON INGRAM THREAD
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 748, 749, 750 ... 1883, 1884, 1885  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> General Basketball Discussion Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
tox
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Nov 14, 2017 6:04 pm    Post subject:

bballchinaski wrote:

You gotta have a big bias to think that randle will somehow end up a better nba player than randle, but alas

Randle has one key thing going for him that Ingram doesn't: he can play center. When you can't shoot, that's vital.
governator
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Nov 14, 2017 6:06 pm    Post subject:

bballchinaski wrote:
GoldenThroat wrote:
bballchinaski wrote:
for a dude who preaches patience for young guys you seem to jump on ingram quite fast. Didnt saw you wanting to get rid of him when his jumper was falling, if it falls again do you want to trade him?

Let go of the dlo stuff, it's over man.

Lol at bringing up Russell, I didn't say anything about him. Weird how I'm able to be very optimistic about Lonzo, Kuzma, & even Randle now without Russell getting in the way, but for some reason I can't do it with Ingram. It isn't how these guys...I dunno...ACTUALLY PLAY...it's that.

And when, pray tell, was his jumper falling? He's made 7 threes this year. He's constantly passing up shots that other guys would take and make at a decent clip.

He hasn't played well by any of the metrics that I value for ALL players, bears little to no statistical resemblance to any of the guys that we hope he'll become when they were the same age. Even in the best case scenario, he's a couple of years away from being a 3rd option on a championship contender who's capable of knocking down open 3's with consistency.

Here's a newsflash. If we sign LeBron James, who will be 34 early next season...we're trying to win a title right away. What Brandon Ingram (or any of our other players for that matter) could be when they're 25 is pretty irrelevant to that cause. When the Cavs signed LeBron, they traded Andrew Wiggins...who projected to be a better prospect than Ingram...for a 3rd-option in Kevin Love.

But we wouldn't do the same because a couple of decision-makers that didn't draft him think that maybe Ingram (or anyone else on this team) might be really good...some day? But I guess I'm just saying all that because I just can't get over the Russell trade and none of it actually makes sense.

You gotta have a big bias to think that randle will somehow end up a better nba player than randle, but alas

I only wrote what i wrote cause you only have backhanded compliments for ingram, you were always down on him and up on russell - who for all his merits and talent is a lazy player who plays no defense and turns the ball over like crazy - and then you come into this thread talking about trading this kid. I find it slimy, just that, let ingram be

I think this mod merely use the same measuring stick for both Dlo and BI... I think it's the LG crowd who had different criterias
bballchinaski
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Tue Nov 14, 2017 6:14 pm    Post subject:

i dont see how its even a conversation tbh, even if he never becomes a shooter, you dont break the bank for 34 years old lebron id rather have ingram come from the bench unless you can trade him for a young-ish stud, that i dont see happening
SocalDevin
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Nov 14, 2017 6:20 pm    Post subject:

tox wrote:
SocalDevin wrote:
tox wrote:
SocalDevin wrote:
Back to that "He's not good at this narrative, so odds are he'll always not be good at this". smh..

I still maintain those statistical markers are meaningless when trying to project or predict a prospects potential or trajectory.

I'm actually surprised that people even engage in this sort of thing for players that are so raw and undeveloped. Doesn't make an ounce of sense.

Are you arguing how good a player is at shooting when he is 20 has no bearing on how good that player will be at shooting in his prime? That's ridiculous.

Certainly it'd be dumb to rule out BI figuring out how to shoot. But skepticism and/or concern seem perfectly reasonable to me. For every Aaron Gordon, there is a Julius Randle.

That is exactly what I'm arguing.. My point is we don't have a clue as to how things will turn out. Stats on raw prospects aren't a window into the future. I think its absurd to suggest they are. In addition when those stats don't jive with the reality of an individual player becoming proficient in an area that they struggled in it is simply chalked up as an outlier.

I will agree being concerned seems reasonable. Wouldn't make any long term assumptions based on current play though.

See to me this is silly.
Obviously there is uncertainty one way or another. But that doesn't mean stats aren't somewhat predictive. If I told you a player were a really good shooter at age 25, and I asked you to guess -- do you think, at age 20, that he shot 65% from FT and avoided shooting jumpers as much as possible, or that he shot 77% from FT and was comfortable shooting jumpers?

Obviously, it's the latter. It's asinine to argue there's no predictive value in how a player is shooting as a 20 y/o. There is some predictive value. Ergo, based on what we've seen from Ingram, I'm worried. I'm not writing him off or anything, but I'm worried.

Think about the question you posed. And there in lies what's fundamentally wrong with your argument. "and i asked you to guess".

This isn't an exercise one can engage in and provide certainty. We are delving into probabilities.

The more data you have to work with, the more accurate your projections are likely to be. With Brandon you're working with one year of play. Which doesn't give you much.

I know you're not writing him off. We just don't agree on the importance of rookie stats. I find them insignificant.
tox
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Nov 14, 2017 6:25 pm    Post subject:

SocalDevin wrote:

Think about the question you posed. And there in lies what's fundamentally wrong with your argument. "and i asked you to guess".

This isn't an exercise one can engage in and provide certainty. We are delving into probabilities.

The more data you have to work with, the accurate your projections are likely to be. With Brandon you're working with one year of play. Which doesn't give you much.

I know you're not writing him off. We just don't agree on the importance of rookie stats. I find them insignificant.

OK, to be clear there's never certainty. I could ask you -- who's going to make more 3 pointers in their career, Mozgov or Curry? And you would say Curry, but you can't be certain because Curry might get Bosh's blood clot problem and never play another game.

That said, I understand what you are saying. If you take literally zero value from 1+ years in the NBA, then I guess you were saying last year that there's nothing to worry about with Randle's shooting, in terms of hoping he becomesa good shooter? Well, we can agree to disagree there, then.
SocalDevin
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Nov 14, 2017 6:39 pm    Post subject:

tox wrote:
SocalDevin wrote:

The more data you have to work with, the accurate your projections are likely to be. With Brandon you're working with one year of play. Which doesn't give you much.

OK, to be clear there's never certainty. I could ask you -- who's going to make more 3 pointers in their career, Mozgov or Curry? And you would say Curry, but you can't be certain because Curry might get Bosh's blood clot problem and never play another game.

That said, I understand what you are saying. If you take literally zero value from 1+ years in the NBA, then I guess you were saying last year that there's nothing to worry about with Randle's shooting, in terms of hoping he becomesa good shooter? Well, we can agree to disagree there, then.

That analogy actually illustrates the point I made. I have a good deal of data to base a projection of Curry having a better shooting year than Moz on. I can be reasonably certain of an outcome under those conditions.

With Brandon we are working with a different scenario. We don't have enough data, to come to any reasonable conclusions about where he's headed. In my opinion.

In regards to Randle, I've always held out hope that he'd become a decent shooter, or at least one you can't leave wide open. Maybe my philosophy is wrong.

I believe shooting can improve over the course of an NBA players career, and it is likely to improve when a player/prospect is focused on resolving their shooting troubles. I suppose it's fine if it worries some, or if you believe it's something to be concerned about.

I've seen too many players turn it around to be worried about it just yet.
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Nov 14, 2017 6:48 pm    Post subject:

SocalDevin wrote:
venturalakersfan wrote:
SocalDevin wrote:
Great game.. "this is why he's untouchable"

Bad game.. "he's probably getting traded, or maybe he should"

The ebbs and flows of this thread has become pretty predictable..

I suppose this takes place in every player thread though. Maybe not in the Clarkson thread, most would like him traded regardless lol.

And you conveniently omit the largest group here, those in the middle. Ingram hasn’t shot well all season but had some success driving to the rim until teams started game planning for it. He is far from a bust and far from being a solid starter.

My omission was intentional. I think it goes without saying that most of us hold the position you articulated. Just stating that those polar narratives I highlighted drive the direction of this thread from time to time. =)

I misunderstood. And you are correct.
KB824MJ
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Nov 14, 2017 7:01 pm    Post subject:

Question, since we are on the subject of his jumper which is being fixed by the coaching staff. These things to take time, a lot of time. I believe our shooting coach is doing the right things with him, but sometimes it doesn't come over night, it depends on volume. Ariza was able to make that jump to a good shooter cause I'm sure Kobe was on him from the AM.

But here's my question. If he averages 14-15ppg this year, would that satisfy some doubters? That to me is a good PPG, as it is his second year and he has rail thin still, even thinner than KD, Giannis, etc.
GoldenThroat

PostPosted: Tue Nov 14, 2017 7:05 pm    Post subject:

KB824MJ wrote:
Question, since we are on the subject of his jumper which is being fixed by the coaching staff. These things to take time, a lot of time. I believe our shooting coach is doing the right things with him, but sometimes it doesn't come over night, it depends on volume. Ariza was able to make that jump to a good shooter cause I'm sure Kobe was on him from the AM.

But here's my question. If he averages 14-15ppg this year, would that satisfy some doubters? That to me is a good PPG, as it is his second year and he has rail thin still, even thinner than KD, Giannis, etc.

Can you introduce me to him? I've been wandering around the Lakers facility trying to find him.
KB824MJ
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Nov 14, 2017 7:07 pm    Post subject:

GoldenThroat wrote:
KB824MJ wrote:

Can you introduce me to him? I've been wandering around the Lakers facility trying to find him.
Wasn't it supposed to be...well I'll be it says it is tracy Murray?
SocalDevin
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Nov 14, 2017 7:11 pm    Post subject:

KB824MJ wrote:
GoldenThroat wrote:
KB824MJ wrote:

Wasn't it supposed to be...well I'll be it says it is tracy Murray?

lol
dao
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Nov 14, 2017 7:12 pm    Post subject:

KB824MJ wrote:

Ariza's a nice example actually. He didn't even take threes in his first four seasons (age 19-22): he attempted 0.2 threes per game (i.e. basically he didn't shoot any threes) and shot 21%. He eventually became a solid three point shooter. He's shot 36% from three on 6 attempts per game over the last 6 seasons.

There are plenty of guys that couldn't shoot at 20 but eventually became good shooters. Ingram is the same age as most of the 1 and done rookies from this draft class. He still has plenty of time to become a good shooter. I think (hope) we'll see some progress as this season progresses. He's attempting 1.6 threes per game. That's the biggest problem. He needs to let them fly.

Unfortunately it seems that it will take a little time for Ingram to find his shot. And our lack of a shooting coach doesn't exactly inspire confidence. Something tells me he'd be shooting 38% like Jaylen Brown if he were a Celtic.
KB824MJ
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Nov 14, 2017 7:17 pm    Post subject:

dao wrote:
KB824MJ wrote:

Ariza's a nice example actually. He didn't even take threes in his first four seasons (age 19-22): he attempted 0.2 threes per game (i.e. basically he didn't shoot any threes) and shot 21%. He eventually became a solid three point shooter. He's shot 36% from three on 6 attempts per game over the last 6 seasons.

There are plenty of guys that couldn't shoot at 20 but eventually became good shooters. Ingram is the same age as most of the 1 and done rookies from this draft class. He still has plenty of time to become a good shooter. I think (hope) we'll see some progress as this season progresses. He's attempting 1.6 threes per game. That's the biggest problem. He needs to let them fly.

Unfortunately it seems that it will take a little time for Ingram to find his shot. And our lack of a shooting coach doesn't exactly inspire confidence. Something tells me he'd be shooting 38% like Jaylen Brown if he were a Celtic.
I agree, he can't be afraid of the 3. Don't just jack them up, just to jack them up though. Make sure it is a good wide open attempt, and if he misses, he misses. He should start taking 3-7 threes a game, hopefully making some.

I think one of the bigger concerns is not his shot as that is being refined, but his confidence and sometimes passive demeanor. I don't know there is Alpha in him. It just seems a lot of our guys lack that alpha all the time mode. Except for Kuzma, and the ones that do have alpha shouldn't lol
tox
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Nov 14, 2017 7:41 pm    Post subject:

SocalDevin wrote:
tox wrote:
SocalDevin wrote:

That analogy actually illustrates the point I made. I have a good deal of data to base a projection of Curry having a better shooting year than Moz on. I can be reasonably certain of an outcome under those conditions.

With Brandon we are working with a different scenario. We don't have enough data, to come to any reasonable conclusions about where he's headed. In my opinion.

In regards to Randle, I've always held out hope that he'd become a decent shooter, or at least one you can't leave wide open. Maybe my philosophy is wrong.

I believe shooting can improve over the course of an NBA players career, and it is likely to improve when a player/prospect is focused on resolving their shooting troubles. I suppose it's fine if it worries some, or if you believe it's something to be concerned about.

I've seen too many players turn it around to be worried about it just yet.

I see. The Randle part really clarifies. I think you are just far more optimistic than I am
tox
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Nov 14, 2017 7:43 pm    Post subject:

KB824MJ wrote:
dao wrote:
KB824MJ wrote:

I agree, he can't be afraid of the 3. Don't just jack them up, just to jack them up though. Make sure it is a good wide open attempt, and if he misses, he misses. He should start taking 3-7 threes a game, hopefully making some.

I think one of the bigger concerns is not his shot as that is being refined, but his confidence and sometimes passive demeanor. I don't know there is Alpha in him. It just seems a lot of our guys lack that alpha all the time mode. Except for Kuzma, and the ones that do have alpha shouldn't lol

If you are "alpha" without the requisite skills, you end up having tunnel vision as you damagingly lean into the skills that you do have. I think that tunnel vision BI that all of us hated early in the season was basically "alpha" BI. In 5 years, when he's refined his skillset, I'd wager "alpha" BI looks a lot different.
SocalDevin
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Nov 14, 2017 8:08 pm    Post subject:

tox wrote:
KB824MJ wrote:
dao wrote:
KB824MJ wrote:

If you are "alpha" without the requisite skills, you end up having tunnel vision as you damagingly lean into the skills that you do have. I think that tunnel vision BI that all of us hated early in the season was basically "alpha" BI. In 5 years, when he's refined his skillset, I'd wager "alpha" BI looks a lot different.

MJST
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Nov 14, 2017 9:10 pm    Post subject:

tox wrote:
bballchinaski wrote:

Randle has one key thing going for him that Ingram doesn't: he can play center. When you can't shoot, that's vital.

He can also defend all 5 positions.

Ingram's a good 2-3 seasons from that and size.
MJST
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Nov 14, 2017 9:18 pm    Post subject:

Here's the thing.

I think Ingram's jumper is better from a spot up standpoint.

The problem is the last few games he's been doing that off the dribble shooting he doesn't have the footwork or balance to be good at yet and gone away from his spot up shooting role.

He is at his best when he is taking advantage of iso's to drive to the basket when he gets a step, and as a spot up shooter. When he tries to be Durant with that off the dribble pull up where he doesn't have the footwork for it yet (unless he squares himself before he takes off) then he isn't taking the kind of shot he should be.
epak
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Nov 14, 2017 9:47 pm    Post subject:

I think now we can go back to watching him to be Batum again
GoldenThroat

PostPosted: Tue Nov 14, 2017 10:35 pm    Post subject:

bballchinaski wrote:

I only wrote what i wrote cause you only have backhanded compliments for ingram, you were always down on him and up on russell - who for all his merits and talent is a lazy player who plays no defense and turns the ball over like crazy - and then you come into this thread talking about trading this kid. I find it slimy, just that, let ingram be

Does RPM have a slimy bias against Ingram?

BPM?

TS%?

Nah, it's just me. Holding him to the same standards that I hold other players to, like a big, slimy jerk. Because of my huge Julius Randle bias!

What the hell does "let Ingram be" mean, exactly? God forbid I want him to...I dunno...PLAY WELL??!?!? I was up on Russell, I'm up on Lonzo, Kuzma, and Randle's play has me for him as well. I feel pretty good about every single young Laker relative to their expectations, with the exception of Ingram. Is it because I hate a 20-year old who's been nothing but nice to me? Yeah, that must be it.

And you certainly have a lot of opinions on the history of my opinions for someone who's been here since July. FOH
GoldenThroat

PostPosted: Tue Nov 14, 2017 11:10 pm    Post subject:

Age 20 season

BPM

Kawhi.....................+4.3
Giannis...................+0.5
Paul George............+0.0
Average Player.........+0.0
Replacement Level....-2.0
Brandon Ingram.......-2.3

RPM

Giannis.................+0.80
Average Player.......+0.00
Brandon Ingram.....-.2.32

*RPM wasn't available for Kawhi & George at that time.

TS%

Kawhi...................57.2%
Average Player.......55.3%
Giannis.................55.2%
Paul George...........54.2%
Brandon Ingram.....49.9%

20 year old Fowards in their 2nd year, by BPM: link

I guess analytics can't get over the Russell trade either.
VicXLakers
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Nov 15, 2017 1:36 am    Post subject:

bballchinaski
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Wed Nov 15, 2017 5:35 am    Post subject:

GoldenThroat wrote:
bballchinaski wrote:

Does RPM have a slimy bias against Ingram?

BPM?

TS%?

Nah, it's just me. Holding him to the same standards that I hold other players to, like a big, slimy jerk. Because of my huge Julius Randle bias!

What the hell does "let Ingram be" mean, exactly? God forbid I want him to...I dunno...PLAY WELL??!?!? I was up on Russell, I'm up on Lonzo, Kuzma, and Randle's play has me for him as well. I feel pretty good about every single young Laker relative to their expectations, with the exception of Ingram. Is it because I hate a 20-year old who's been nothing but nice to me? Yeah, that must be it.

And you certainly have a lot of opinions on the history of my opinions for someone who's been here since July. FOH

i dont care what the numbers say but are you implying that ball has been having a much better season than ingram? are you implying d'angelo isnt a sieve on defense? cause if the numbers tell you that they re a bunch of bs. like you pretending you dont have a bias against ingram
bigkobe81
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Wed Nov 15, 2017 5:45 am    Post subject:

GoldenThroat wrote:
Age 20 season

BPM

RPM

TS%

Brandon Ingram.....49.9%

We are less than 15 games into the season. Small sample size vs 82 games, you make the call
bballchinaski
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Wed Nov 15, 2017 5:51 am    Post subject:

bigkobe81 wrote:
GoldenThroat wrote:
Age 20 season

BPM

RPM

TS%

Brandon Ingram.....49.9%

We are less than 15 games into the season. Small sample size vs 82 games, you make the call

thats just a joke. this dude is a pratical joker when it cones to bi. you can see it all the time on his twitter account. i mean, i like his play analysis but the opinions suck and id do well without them. all summer lakers twitter been crying about d'angelo freakin russell like he is prime mj and bashing ingram like he is bob sacre, gimme a break
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> General Basketball Discussion All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 748, 749, 750 ... 1883, 1884, 1885  Next
Page 749 of 1885
Jump to: