Team Stats & Rankings (Through First 48 Games - 01/27/2018)
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
TooMuchMajicBuss
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

Location: In a white room, with black curtains near the station

PostPosted: Tue Nov 14, 2017 11:13 am    Post subject:

adkindo wrote:
epak wrote:
4th in def rtg
Yummy!

just slightly out of 3rd (Portland)...I think we can get there over the next 5 games.

My goal was to stay in the top half for the season....but I am getting a little greedy....want to remain in top 10.

Welp I remember wondering at the end of our last home stretch how this good defensive rating would hold up over the next road trip, when our home and away balance of games would even out.

Aaaand now we have it. Laker defense looks even better than it did before the road trip. It's still only 14 games in but this is legitimately good start to the season from a defensive standpoint.
CRoost
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Nov 14, 2017 11:26 am    Post subject:

FanOfFour wrote:
justsomelakerfan wrote:
Absolutely stunned at the defensive ranking. Is this a product in Luke's coaching changing or different personnel? Would love to know how the defense is clicking so much this year.

I would think it's a little bit of both. Think about who is no longer on the roster (hell I'm counting Deng in here too) and who was added in the off-season. Every single one of the additions is a better defender than who they replaced. Nwaba was the only one who left who was any good at defending. I credit Magic and Pelinka for bringing in 2 way players as well. Some are a little 1 way currently, but I have faith the offense will come around.

Offense will come around once they know each other tendencies a little more. The good thing about it is it looks like players are becoming comfortable with their role.
Dr. Funkbot
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Nov 14, 2017 1:49 pm    Post subject:

CRoost wrote:
FanOfFour wrote:
justsomelakerfan wrote:
Absolutely stunned at the defensive ranking. Is this a product in Luke's coaching changing or different personnel? Would love to know how the defense is clicking so much this year.

I would think it's a little bit of both. Think about who is no longer on the roster (hell I'm counting Deng in here too) and who was added in the off-season. Every single one of the additions is a better defender than who they replaced. Nwaba was the only one who left who was any good at defending. I credit Magic and Pelinka for bringing in 2 way players as well. Some are a little 1 way currently, but I have faith the offense will come around.

Offense will come around once they know each other tendencies a little more. The good thing about it is it looks like players are becoming comfortable with their role.

Huge props to the FO for swapping out non-defenders for guys who give a damn about defense. Also props to Luke for getting this young squad to get hyped about the defensive side of the ball. Not an easy thing to do.
Dr. Funkbot
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Nov 14, 2017 1:52 pm    Post subject:

LakerSanity wrote:
TheBlackMamba wrote:
If we can even fix one of the offensive issues between shooting a bit better from 3-point range or turning the ball over less, it's gonna help us so much.

Increasing our FT% would be huge too. With the pace we play at, and the youth of our team, we're going to have a lot of TOs - force a lot too. Shooting is our best bet. If we could be even just an average 3pt/FT shooting team, we'd be a playoff team with our D.

LS- don't you think our offensive efficiency will improve as the season goes on? Pre-season was spent all on defense and now Luke is working on the O. I don't think we will continue to be this bad on the offensive side.
tox
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Nov 14, 2017 7:54 pm    Post subject:

What I find most impressive about our DRTG is that there've been quite a few really poor defensive halves (like giving up 69). But the team always seems to clamp down and have an overall decent showing defensively, even on a bad night.
Megaton
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Nov 14, 2017 8:23 pm    Post subject:

4th in the league in defensive rating and 2nd in the league over the last ten games.

https://www.reddit.com/r/lakers/comments/7cxfqk/lakers_4_in_def_rtg/

The team is right on track. We are literally one 20+ scorer away from really taking over.

Good stuff.
The Lebrons
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Nov 14, 2017 8:36 pm    Post subject:

Megaton wrote:
4th in the league in defensive rating and 2nd in the league over the last ten games.

The team is right on track. We are literally one 20+ scorer away from really taking over.

Good stuff.

For all the complaining around here (natural to look at areas for improvements/negatives, I get it), our defensive turnaround is insane. Please keep it up. Not surprised the offense is a disaster, but I'm stunned at the defensive improvement. Great job whoever is responsible for that.
adkindo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Nov 14, 2017 8:54 pm    Post subject:

^^^it is me....I prayed very hard for a better defense.
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Nov 14, 2017 9:30 pm    Post subject:

Lakers are 7th in strength of schedule.

http://www.espn.com/nba/stats/rpi/_/sort/SOS
danzag
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Nov 15, 2017 6:26 am    Post subject:

Megaton wrote:

Good stuff.

It's insane how better we got on defense after one year.
FanOfFour
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Nov 15, 2017 7:31 am    Post subject:

It's starts with having better wing defenders and ends with Lopez and Bogut mentoring the bigs. D'Lo, Lou and Nick (he tried at times last season) are garbage tier defenders. Offensively good, but they gave more back on the other end most nights.
cyborgspider
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Wed Nov 15, 2017 12:11 pm    Post subject:

FanOfFour wrote:
It's starts with having better wing defenders and ends with Lopez and Bogut mentoring the bigs. D'Lo, Lou and Nick (he tried at times last season) are garbage tier defenders. Offensively good, but they gave more back on the other end most nights.

The Nets color commentator, I didn't catch her name, was railing on Russell for letting Kuzma leak out for a game-clinching layup. Almost a minute critiquing his focus & accountability. I'd like D'lo to do well, but for every Twitter troll extolling his offensive numbers, they never mention how bad the defense has been.
Dr. Funkbot
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Nov 15, 2017 12:14 pm    Post subject:

cyborgspider wrote:
FanOfFour wrote:

The Nets color commentator, I didn't catch her name, was railing on Russell for letting Kuzma leak out for a game-clinching layup. Almost a minute critiquing his focus & accountability. I'd like D'lo to do well, but for every Twitter troll extolling his offensive numbers, they never mention how bad the defense has been.

And I actually thought that DLO was one of our better defenders last year. Times have changed for sure.
LakersRGolden
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Nov 15, 2017 12:40 pm    Post subject:

Dr. Funkbot wrote:
cyborgspider wrote:
FanOfFour wrote:

And I actually thought that DLO was one of our better defenders last year. Times have changed for sure.

A lot of things go into the defense you see: scheme, role, teammates, team culture, responsibilities. He's not good at D, but he's far from horrible.
Treble Clef
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Nov 16, 2017 6:51 am    Post subject:

The Lebrons wrote:
Megaton wrote:

Good stuff.

For all the complaining around here (natural to look at areas for improvements/negatives, I get it), our defensive turnaround is insane. Please keep it up. Not surprised the offense is a disaster, but I'm stunned at the defensive improvement. Great job whoever is responsible for that.

I've been trying very hard to identify how this team is ranking so high in defense. Seeing most of these guys last year and even seeing them in preseason, the difference in results is unreal.

KCP was obviously a big addition, and Randle has embraced his role much better. The young guys like Kuzma and Hart have been active and Brook Lopez has been a surprise.

But game after game I see breakdowns where the other teams' best shooters are left wide open and clank. Last year, when that happened, guys made those shots like layups. This year, it doesn't seem to matter who is left open, that shot isn't going in. I don't know how long that can hold up.
fiendishoc
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Nov 16, 2017 8:00 am    Post subject:

^ Even before this game, Lakers opponents were shooting a league worst percentage on wide open 3's against them. Of course I'm not attributing all the improvement to that, but it is something to keep an eye on.

To put it into context, opponents shoot almost as bad on wide open threes (32.7% at 12.3 per game vs a league median of 38.7%) as the Lakers themselves shoot on wide open threes (31%).
LakerSanity

PostPosted: Thu Nov 16, 2017 8:03 am    Post subject:

The most amazing part about how well we're playing defensively (prior to the Sixers game) is the amount we turn over the ball. TOs = high % fast break points. I imagine if we held onto the ball better, that would make our D ranking even better.

Twitter: @DeleteThisPost
noahp45
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Nov 16, 2017 9:59 am    Post subject:

all I got to say is that we are two games behind Okc. And they have WB,PG13 and Melo. That's not that bad
Treble Clef
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Nov 16, 2017 10:17 am    Post subject:

fiendishoc wrote:
^ Even before this game, Lakers opponents were shooting a league worst percentage on wide open 3's against them. Of course I'm not attributing all the improvement to that, but it is something to keep an eye on.

To put it into context, opponents shoot almost as bad on wide open threes (32.7% at 12.3 per game vs a league median of 38.7%) as the Lakers themselves shoot on wide open threes (31%).

Interesting, I'm actually surprised it's that high. Where can I find those stats?

I'm just curious how much of the defensive improvement is tied to this. Like will points allowed go up 3-6 points a game if that percentage normalizes over time? Or will it create a domino effect? I'm also curious if the Lakers own bad percentage is also bad luck or if it's just who they are.
noahp45
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Nov 16, 2017 10:36 am    Post subject:

Our defense is on point. We have been in every game so far but the first game against Flop City. And right now we have a better record then them
tox
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Nov 16, 2017 4:26 pm    Post subject:

fiendishoc wrote:

What we need is an "Expected value of wide open 3 point looks" to see how much is just out of sheer luck -- obviously letting Steph Curry shoot an open 3 is different than letting Lonzo shoot one.

I don't think that explains the Lakers' 32.7%, though, and I bet it'll regress right back to the mean.
fiendishoc
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Nov 16, 2017 8:59 pm    Post subject:

Quote:

Interesting, I'm actually surprised it's that high. Where can I find those stats?

http://stats.nba.com/teams/opponent-shots-closest-defender-10/?Season=2017-18&SeasonType=Regular%20Season&CloseDefDistRange=6%2B%20Feet%20-%20Wide%20Open&sort=FG3_PCT&dir=-1
fiendishoc
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Nov 16, 2017 9:02 pm    Post subject:

Quote:
What we need is an "Expected value of wide open 3 point looks" to see how much is just out of sheer luck -- obviously letting Steph Curry shoot an open 3 is different than letting Lonzo shoot one.

A simple thing to do would be to weighted avg by games the wide open three shooting of the teams that LA has played.

http://stats.nba.com/teams/shots-closest-defender-10/?Season=2017-18&SeasonType=Regular%20Season&CloseDefDistRange=6%2B%20Feet%20-%20Wide%20Open&sort=FG3_PCT&dir=1

But, no, I'm not going to do the spreadsheet.
tox
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Nov 16, 2017 11:42 pm    Post subject:

fiendishoc wrote:
Quote:

A simple thing to do would be to weighted avg by games the wide open three shooting of the teams that LA has played.

http://stats.nba.com/teams/shots-closest-defender-10/?Season=2017-18&SeasonType=Regular%20Season&CloseDefDistRange=6%2B%20Feet%20-%20Wide%20Open&sort=FG3_PCT&dir=1

But, no, I'm not going to do the spreadsheet.

Wow the Warriors are literally more than 50% better than our percentage. Unreal.

Down the line (aka after December 15th) I might look into the NBA.com API and see if I can pull the data for the players and write a Python script to get that expected wide open 3FG% stat. Would be pretty useful to see honestly.
E=MC²
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Nov 17, 2017 12:07 am    Post subject:

Impressive but the team has to get leaps and bounds better on the offensive end
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15  Next
Page 11 of 15
Jump to: