Sinus Issues (WARNING: LONG POST)
Goto page Previous  1, 2

View previous topic :: View next topic  
leor_77
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Nov 14, 2017 11:31 pm    Post subject:

Be careful about Proton Pump Inhibitors. I suppose its good that it will help to diagnose if you actually have LPR, but PPI's can make you have really bad rebound reflux when you stop them, and can cause some people to be dependent on them indefinitely. They also can lead to some pretty bad things if you take them long term.
LakerFan87
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Nov 15, 2017 6:55 pm    Post subject:

jodeke wrote:
LakerFan87 wrote:
I have an update on my situation.

I have been extensively tested for allergies (2 sets of skin prick tests, a blood test, and intra-dermal tests). They all came up negative.

The new ENT I saw today did a CT scan of my sinuses on the spot. My sinuses are perfectly clean and healthy. He said on a scale of 1-10 with 10 being the worst, they are a 1.

Although there is no official diagnosis at the moment, he is convinced that I have a condition known as Laryngopharyngeal Reflux (otherwise known as "LPR" or "Silent Reflux").

Essentially, the bottom opening of my esophagus isn't functioning correctly, which has been allowing stomach acid to get in. The acid isn't staying in my esophagus long enough to burn it, however, which explains why I haven't had any problems with indigestion or heartburn (this apparently is common with LPR patients). Since stuff that shouldn't is getting too high into my esophagus, the central nervous system triggers an alarm so to speak and the mucous factory is turned on, which explains the post nasal drip.

I have been given some Proton Pump Inhibitors to try for a month before my next follow up. If this medication along with the proper dietary modifications don't improve my symptoms, a more thorough exam of my throat and GI tract will be required.

I still have an appointment with my original ENT on Friday. I'll ask for his assessment as well as about potential surgical options.

Thanks everyone for your input and support.

Who's your health provider?

Are you talking about my doctors or my insurance?
LakerFan87
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Nov 15, 2017 6:56 pm    Post subject:

leor_77 wrote:
Be careful about Proton Pump Inhibitors. I suppose its good that it will help to diagnose if you actually have LPR, but PPI's can make you have really bad rebound reflux when you stop them, and can cause some people to be dependent on them indefinitely. They also can lead to some pretty bad things if you take them long term.

Yeah, I read up on them a bit.

I see another doctor on Friday and I'll get his assessment. I already have loads of questions to ask.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Off Topic All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2
Jump to: