Official MAGINKA Front Office Thread (Ignored coaching staff's pleas to re-sign Brook Lopez and Randle pg. 145)
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 34, 35, 36 ... 172, 173, 174  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
deal
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Nov 16, 2017 7:08 am    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:
Hero Ball wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:
Hero Ball wrote:
I wonder if Magic had the balls to draft Porzingis...

At the time he was publicly high on Okafor. I have little doubt that's who he would have chosen.

At least DLo was tradeable.

This is sadly not even laughable. I guess we may the ones being laughed at if the 2 max plan fails and Lonzo struggles.

Agree. But to your point Lonzo is already struggling, he is not NBA ready. When I hire people I like people I may have to slow down but not people I have to push; Lonzo has a good demeanor but that may be because he's still mentally weak at 20 YO and we don't know if there is a cure given his youth.

Max deals are looking further and further with each Lonzo struggle. The same way people here thought Lonzo would be elevating the team, the fact is, he is a burdan at this point.

Our rooster is weak in general, truth be told. I have;
- a + sign next to Kuz, I wish he could play more 3
- Randle at PF or situational C (when not against a real C) is fine. Talk of trading Randel is funny, he seems to be a bright spot
- BI needs desperately to put some muscle on those bones and gain consistency
- JC is another trade target here but again one of the few turbo players, he also needs to learn to control his energy but I much prefer to fix that than if he were a slacker
- KCP? up and down, I'll pass
- Lonzo needs to come off the bench, he's playing like a rookie and should be played like one

Lakers need starting;
- PG
- SG
- maybe a starting PF maybe
- we're weak at C even though we have 4 of them. Maybe Zu or Bryant could grow into the position they're not ready now
av3773
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Nov 16, 2017 7:19 am    Post subject:

Not really....Lonzo is going to look A LOT better if we surround him with players who can actually hit outside shots with some level of consistency...if we add one go to player like a Bron he'll look even better.

He is a rookie, but as a whole he isn't doing terribly...his generally the assist guy many expected, he boards maybe a little better than expected and his D I think is also a little better than expected

His shooting is worse than expected in terms of %....so give him shooters while he works that out...I don't ever expect Lonzo to be 20-30 point scorer although he has shown he can have those outbursts once in a while....I think it will be more in the 15 point range with efficient scoring.

He's going to be fine.
LakerLanny
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Nov 16, 2017 7:19 am    Post subject:

So far at least, things seem to be playing out well as far as the potential LeBron/George plan.

Both Cleveland and OKC are struggling early, the Lakers are showing some potential with their young roster and we will have the cap room to do it.

Where is the Papillion guy? Is Space Jam 2 still a go? LOL
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Nov 16, 2017 7:20 am    Post subject:

I'm not giving up on Lonzo, as GT says, 19-20 year old guards tend to be horrible at NBA level basketball.

That being said, we need better facilitators alongside him so he isn't consigned to being a pass the ball and sit in the corner guy.
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Nov 16, 2017 7:30 am    Post subject:

Wrong thread.

Last edited by 32 on Thu Nov 16, 2017 7:36 am; edited 1 time in total
Joe Pesci
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Nov 16, 2017 7:31 am    Post subject:

The sky is falling around here I see.

Ball’s value to potential free agents is NOT his ability to be a franchise player but his unselfish playing style and ability to play with just about anyone.
pio2u
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Nov 16, 2017 7:36 am    Post subject:

Joe Pesci wrote:

Ball’s value to potential free agents is NOT his ability to be a franchise player but his unselfish playing style and ability to play with just about anyone.
deal
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Nov 16, 2017 8:06 am    Post subject:

Joe Pesci wrote:

There is no problem with Ball, like I've said, he's basically an unfinished product. There is nothing wrong with that but we need a starter while he gets the hang of things in the NBA. I, for one, still think he probably is a future starter.
deal
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Nov 16, 2017 8:12 am    Post subject:

av3773 wrote:
Not really....Lonzo is going to look A LOT better if we surround him with players who can actually hit outside shots with some level of consistency...if we add one go to player like a Bron he'll look even better.

He is a rookie, but as a whole he isn't doing terribly...his generally the assist guy many expected, he boards maybe a little better than expected and his D I think is also a little better than expected

His shooting is worse than expected in terms of %....so give him shooters while he works that out...I don't ever expect Lonzo to be 20-30 point scorer although he has shown he can have those outbursts once in a while....I think it will be more in the 15 point range with efficient scoring.

He's going to be fine.

That's true but he does need to pick up his activity level. Right now he brings the ball down passes and looks like a lost passenger out there. Again, he's 20 so he needs more time to fully understand and maximize his play.

However, he will need to improve his shot or players will use that extra space to double up elsewhere. There's talk about changing his unorthodox shot, hopefully that's during the off season.
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Nov 16, 2017 10:56 am    Post subject:

LakerLanny wrote:
So far at least, things seem to be playing out well as far as the potential LeBron/George plan.

Both Cleveland and OKC are struggling early, the Lakers are showing some potential with their young roster and we will have the cap room to do it.

Cleveland just went 4-1 on a week long road trip, their struggles are greatly exaggerated. They will probably hiccup again when IT returns but thinking that they won’t make the ECFs is wishful thinking.
deal
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Nov 16, 2017 12:20 pm    Post subject:

venturalakersfan wrote:
LakerLanny wrote:

Cleveland just went 4-1 on a week long road trip, their struggles are greatly exaggerated. They will probably hiccup again when IT returns but thinking that they won’t make the ECFs is wishful thinking.

AGREE...
justsomelakerfan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Nov 19, 2017 9:26 pm    Post subject:

https://twitter.com/KevinOConnorNBA/status/932476309170741250

shoot this tweet into Rob Pelinka's veins
epak
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Nov 19, 2017 9:28 pm    Post subject:

justsomelakerfan wrote:
https://twitter.com/KevinOConnorNBA/status/932476309170741250

shoot this tweet into Rob Pelinka's veins

Can he shot 3s?
MJST
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Jun 22, 2018 6:23 pm    Post subject: [Pelinka] "I don't think that leveraging the success of the future for a 'short now' is the right thing to do, I think sustainable success is really our goal"

An interesting quote, but a good one to say the least. At least that seems to be how Pelinka feels about building. Also echos Kobe's sentiments.
RG73
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Jun 22, 2018 6:24 pm    Post subject: Re: [Pelinka] "I don't think that leveraging the success of the future for a 'short now' is the right thing to do, I think sustainable success is really our goal"

MJST wrote:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QTdrL0STOOw

An interesting quote, but a good one to say the least. At least that seems to be how Pelinka feels about building. Also echos Kobe's sentiments.

Since when did Kobe work in the front office?
justsomelakerfan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Jun 22, 2018 6:24 pm    Post subject:

Love it. They have my trust.
SocalDevin
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Jun 22, 2018 6:25 pm    Post subject: Re: [Pelinka] "I don't think that leveraging the success of the future for a 'short now' is the right thing to do, I think sustainable success is really our goal"

MJST wrote:

governator
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Jun 22, 2018 6:27 pm    Post subject:

Hope Not cause we fail to secure these max FAs
MJST
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Jun 22, 2018 6:29 pm    Post subject: Re: [Pelinka] "I don't think that leveraging the success of the future for a 'short now' is the right thing to do, I think sustainable success is really our goal"

RG73 wrote:
MJST wrote:

Since when did Kobe work in the front office?

here you go

Quote:

Kobe Bryant doesn't want the Lakers to break up their young core

“It depends on what they want to do,” Bryant said. “It depends on what options are available to them, but I’ve got to tell you man, they have a couple of great lanes to go down, whether it’s free agency or developing the young talent that they currently have, they’re in a really great position.”

“I love everything that I’ve been seeing from these young guys,” Bryant continued. “Their ability to to fight, getting in the gym early, staying late. All these things are things that pay off. I under this market is like ‘you gotta win like, yesterday,’ but that’s not always the case, you know? If you want to be a dynasty or a team that has longevity, those things take time, and generally are grown from within.

“You slap a couple All-Stars together, you can maybe win two of three, but eventually players get traded. But if you build a team organically, that dynasty team tends to stay together longer.”

http://thehoopdoctors.com/2018/05/kobe-bryant-doesnt-want-lakers-to-break-up-young-core/

Pelinka echo'd these same sentiments in his words. He also said a lot of it comes from the fact "For the first time in a long time, the Lakers are developing young players."

Can't say he's too wrong about that, some of this fanbase just isn't used to that. It doesn't excuse their behavior at times. But the reality is, the Lakers for 14 of the past 17 years have been more of a "Reload" than "rebuild" franchise. Seems Pelinka understands how 'unnatural' it feels for some of the fanbase to be building organically for the first time since 92-96 but is necessary. Particularly now in the current scheme of things.

Those are what his sentiments seem to echo anyway.

Heck, even if we look at us from 92-96 we built our team organically, and became a winning team, that winning team was able to get Shaq in free agency and draft Kobe Bryant and it was off to the races and 3 seasons later we were a Finals team. But had we not built as we did from 92-96 and become that winning team with our young core, we'd never have landed Shaq in the first place. So essentially the reason we went to being a 'reload' franchise was because of that rebuild after Magic left and how we did it.

Last edited by MJST on Fri Jun 22, 2018 6:31 pm; edited 1 time in total
StoicChalice392
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Jun 22, 2018 6:30 pm    Post subject:

A popular and safe sentiment to say the least. Let's see what really happens.
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Jun 22, 2018 6:30 pm    Post subject:

This doesn't mean he isn't signing Lebron and PG. He said they can do both.
greenfrog
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Jun 22, 2018 6:34 pm    Post subject:

Yeah, I'm sure he's signaling we're taking a pass on LBJ.
hydrohead
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Jun 22, 2018 6:35 pm    Post subject:

32 wrote:

what it may mean is that we don't plan on packaging all our youth for current star (kl)
dont_be_a_wuss
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Jun 22, 2018 6:37 pm    Post subject:

I love a good negotiation.

Spurs: We would never trade with you

Lakers: We don't even want to trade our guys anyhow.
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Jun 22, 2018 6:38 pm    Post subject:

hydrohead wrote:
32 wrote:

what it may mean is that we don't plan on packaging all our youth for current star (kl)

I hope that's what it means. I like our young core.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 34, 35, 36 ... 172, 173, 174  Next
Page 35 of 174
Jump to: