After watching The philly "process" players some may believe the Grass is Greener...
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Fortysixn2
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Nov 16, 2017 10:35 am    Post subject:

If you could turn the injury sliders off, grass is greener. I will need to see more than 40 games over 4 years from embiid, 12 games over 2 years from Simmons and multiple DNP's from the #1 pick with a mysterious shoulder injury before I think their future is brighter than ours.

There are a lot of players that could have been great, but their bodies didn't hold up...seems like Philly has a bunch of those. We will see, but when they are all healthy they are pretty scary for being so young.
AFireInside619
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Nov 16, 2017 10:36 am    Post subject:

Dr. Funkbot wrote:
AFireInside619 wrote:
Even though their stars were amazing and Embiid scored a million points, we only lost by 6 points. Yes, they were unstoppable at times, but that could have been our game. Ingram can and will take many more steps before we realize how good he actually will become. Kuzma is playing like Diet Paul George. Lonzo might become something someday. Don't worry guys. I have a feeling we will figure it out.

Nance would have helped a lot in the game last night.

Nance always plays his best vs the Sixers. He's up to the Simmons challenge, but Embiid would have frustrated him. We needed Fultz last night. That guy's broken jump shot would have helped us beat them. 😂
splashmtn
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Nov 16, 2017 10:37 am    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:
Let's do a simple draft of the Lakers/76ers young core.

1. Embiid
2. Simmons
3. Ingram
4. Kuz
5. Covington

Next are in whatever order, Lonzo/Saric/Fultz*/Jules/JC.

I can see Lonzo eventually gaining ground, but as of now, he's not in the top 5 76ers/Lakers draft.

Lonzo is still in the top 5. even with all this brick laying. because the way he's bricking is not something that cant be corrected. and i'm not talking about fixing his shot yet either. i'm talking about it being mental and at the moment. once he gets completed acclimated to the nba, the limelight, super spot light 24/7. his nerves will calm down and he will stop blowing layups. the guy is blowing layups. he wasnt doing that in college nor in high school. you only do that if you're too into your own head. I would be afraid him being too into his own head like say a wesley johnson who never panned out...Only if that was Zo's MO before he got into the nba. Again, what we're seeing with his fg% is not the real Zo. even with his ugly jumper. So if i'm to place a grade on him to see where he sits on your list he's still in the top 5. The guy does so many other things well. and like some have said. his defense is so much better than any of us expected this early in his career. his team defense is darn near elite vet status. his man defense is decent to pretty darn good. which is not expected from most guards in the nba. most vets dont play defense, let alone rookies and kids.

Covington is athletic and can shoot really well. anything else?

Kuz can score from everywhere and play some pretty darn good defense on mobile PF's and SF's.

Ball can play team defense, man defense, at the hardest position to guard.
Ball can rebound very well
Ball can setup teammates that are not that good at putting the ball in the basket. and he does so without over pounding the basketball.

What happens even with his broken fg%...if you give him shot makers?

Think about this. how many assists is he averaging right now? with this rag tag group of non elite scorers non elite shooters.

BUt even if i take your list for what it is. it still says a lot about the lakers. that BI and Kuz a late pick is in the top 5 between the two teams when we've seen one team has lived in the top parts of the draft for over a decade. while the other was winning games and having super late picks.
splashmtn
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Nov 16, 2017 10:38 am    Post subject:

AFireInside619 wrote:
Dr. Funkbot wrote:
AFireInside619 wrote:
Even though their stars were amazing and Embiid scored a million points, we only lost by 6 points. Yes, they were unstoppable at times, but that could have been our game. Ingram can and will take many more steps before we realize how good he actually will become. Kuzma is playing like Diet Paul George. Lonzo might become something someday. Don't worry guys. I have a feeling we will figure it out.

Nance would have helped a lot in the game last night.

Nance always plays his best vs the Sixers. He's up to the Simmons challenge, but Embiid would have frustrated him. We needed Fultz last night. That guy's broken jump shot would have helped us beat them. 😂
fultz jumper was only broken because his shoulder was injured.
leor_77
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Nov 16, 2017 10:39 am    Post subject:

The teams were more comparable in talent before magic gave away Russell.
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Nov 16, 2017 10:40 am    Post subject:

splashmtn wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:

1. Embiid
2. Simmons
3. Ingram
4. Kuz
5. Covington

I can see Lonzo eventually gaining ground, but as of now, he's not in the top 5 76ers/Lakers draft.

Lonzo is still in the top 5. even with all this brick laying. because the way he's bricking is not something that cant be corrected. and i'm not talking about fixing his shot yet either. i'm talking about it being mental and at the moment. once he gets completed acclimated to the nba, the limelight, super spot light 24/7. his nerves will calm down and he will stop blowing layups. the guy is blowing layups. he wasnt doing that in college nor in high school. you only do that if you're too into your own head. I would be afraid him being too into his own head like say a wesley johnson who never panned out...Only if that was Zo's MO before he got into the nba. Again, what we're seeing with his fg% is not the real Zo. even with his ugly jumper. So if i'm to place a grade on him to see where he sits on your list he's still in the top 5. The guy does so many other things well. and like some have said. his defense is so much better than any of us expected this early in his career. his team defense is darn near elite vet status. his man defense is decent to pretty darn good. which is not expected from most guards in the nba. most vets dont play defense, let alone rookies and kids.

Kuz can score from everywhere and play some pretty darn good defense on mobile PF's and SF's.

Ball can setup teammates that are not that good at putting the ball in the basket. and he does so without over pounding the basketball.

Think about this. how many assists is he averaging right now? with this rag tag group of non elite scorers non elite shooters.

BUt even if i take your list for what it is. it still says a lot about the lakers. that BI and Kuz a late pick is in the top 5 between the two teams when we've seen one team has lived in the top parts of the draft for over a decade. while the other was winning games and having super late picks.

As an undrafted player, Covington is #6 overall on ESPN's RPM and #1 SF on same. It says quite a lot about them too, that they found a diamond in the rough as well.
splashmtn
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Nov 16, 2017 10:40 am    Post subject:

lakersfan85 wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:
Sentient Meat wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:
Sentient Meat wrote:
CRoost wrote:

You’ll be a Laker homer to think that we have more promising future than the Sixers. Sixers already found 2 franchise changer level type of players and we are still hoping on ours. Their future looks brighter definitely.

A Laker homer on a Laker message board... what kind of madness is this?

We were level with the 2 franchise changer level type of players with our team shooting 38% and Embiid playing like Wilt. I don't think I'm being delusional to be optimistic about our team as well.

You can't base it off one game (as you're arguing). If the Lakers won by 6, would we say that we have a better core? Of course not.

You look at the cap situation and future plans. Lakers are begging 2 max players (and we don't have the cap space for that now) while the 76ers may have 2 max level players already on the team and can carve out a max spot.

I already conceded that their two look the best... my counterpoint is that we have more depth. If you don't think a good well rounded team can beat two superstars... look up the Russell Celtics or the Popovich Spurs... plus we will most likely add two stars. Instead of lamenting how good Embiid and Simmons are, our mouths should be watering about the epic finals matches we might have with them in a few years.

They have plenty of depth.

We are discounting the fact they can be FA players next summer too. They have Saric off the bench, along with TLC, Holmes, etc. They have a possible top 10 pick from the Lakers this year, and their own picks.

and they have a #1 pick just sitting on the bench recovering from a shoulder injury.
thats what happens when you keep intentionally tanking.

there is no comparing us to them. its foolish to do so. we dont compare. two completely different franchises.
splashmtn
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Nov 16, 2017 10:41 am    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:
splashmtn wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:

1. Embiid
2. Simmons
3. Ingram
4. Kuz
5. Covington

As an undrafted player, Covington is #6 overall on ESPN's RPM and #1 SF on same. It says quite a lot about them too, that they found a diamond in the rough as well.
yes. ONE GUY. ONE TIME. they found ONE. out of all that losing. you can only show me ONE not obvious guy. You aint getting a star for one guy when you've been this bad for this long.
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Nov 16, 2017 10:42 am    Post subject:

I'm bullish on the Lakers, but it's OK to say another team's young core is ahead of us. Lakers M.O. has been to find the big names. We traded for Kobe, we signed Shaq, traded for LO, traded for Pau.

We're never really been about developing and nurturing a star from inception recently, as Kobe would have been Kobe regardless IMO. Our hope remains with the 2 max plan, which is fraught with peril. Then we hope guys like Ingram, Lonzo, Kuz develop in time, into stars in their own right. I don't see them getting there faster than Simmons/Embiid as they are already well on that track.

It's OK Lakers fans. I know we have Lakers exceptionalism, but let's not lose objectivity either.
splashmtn
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Nov 16, 2017 10:43 am    Post subject:

Sentient Meat wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:
Sentient Meat wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:
Sentient Meat wrote:
CRoost wrote:

You’ll be a Laker homer to think that we have more promising future than the Sixers. Sixers already found 2 franchise changer level type of players and we are still hoping on ours. Their future looks brighter definitely.

We were level with the 2 franchise changer level type of players with our team shooting 38% and Embiid playing like Wilt. I don't think I'm being delusional to be optimistic about our team as well.

You can't base it off one game (as you're arguing). If the Lakers won by 6, would we say that we have a better core? Of course not.

You look at the cap situation and future plans. Lakers are begging 2 max players (and we don't have the cap space for that now) while the 76ers may have 2 max level players already on the team and can carve out a max spot.

I already conceded that their two look the best... my counterpoint is that we have more depth. If you don't think a good well rounded team can beat two superstars... look up the Russell Celtics or the Popovich Spurs... plus we will most likely add two stars. Instead of lamenting how good Embiid and Simmons are, our mouths should be watering about the epic finals matches we might have with them in a few years.

We are discounting the fact they can be FA players next summer too. They have Saric off the bench, along with TLC, Holmes, etc. They have a possible top 10 pick from the Lakers this year, and their own picks.

In a worse case scenario if they signed Lebron... they'd be an immediate contender for the next three years... this might result in us getting PG13 and Boogie... in which case they would be better until Lebron got old... and then we'd be even if not better. They wouldn't be in competition for Boogie because they have Embiid... and of course we've been the front runner for PG13 if he doesn't stay in OKC (hard to see that happening)

Obviously there are a lot of moving parts and I too can imagine horrible scenarios such as we don't sign anyone, give Philly a lotto pick and all of our rookies tear ACLs. But I think in the same way had Lonzo had a triple double and Simmons had an off game, everyone would be overestimating our team... everyone's knee jerk reaction is to overestimate Philly...

They are good, but so are we...and if we played them even while shooting poorly and their center having a game for the ages... I can't help but feel just as optimistic about our own team.
This too.
Lucky_Shot
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Nov 16, 2017 10:45 am    Post subject:

lakers4life78 wrote:
Lucky_Shot wrote:
Yeah they have some really nice player and look like a good team ; but it took them 10 years in the lottery. How many times did they swing and miss on a lottery pick before finally getting a hit?

I dont want to go through another 4 years of the lottery before we pick up the next Joel or Ben.

We have a nice set of player and if we can add some major pieces to them we skip some of the process to become a good team

Sixers last playoff berth was 2012, Lakers 2013. Philly made the playoffs 4 out of 5 years between 2008-12. They were not in the lottery for a decade. The Lakers have been just a bit worse than their record over the last 4 seasons. Lakers were tanking because of the Nash deal. The difference is Embiid and Simmons were their picks, and ours wasn't.

They also have the number 1 pick from last year's draft waiting in wings, currently hurt. Laker fan base would be doing back flips if they had that core, instead all we can do now is hope free agents want to come here and Lonzo ball can make a shot.

They've had 7 lottery pick also a 15th and 16th pick since 2010 (9 high picks total). We have had 4 and my point was the 76ers didn't hit a homer everytime and if we plan to ride with the youth its going to take a long time

Last edited by Lucky_Shot on Thu Nov 16, 2017 10:45 am; edited 1 time in total
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

splashmtn wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:
splashmtn wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:

1. Embiid
2. Simmons
3. Ingram
4. Kuz
5. Covington

yes. ONE GUY. ONE TIME. they found ONE. out of all that losing. you can only show me ONE not obvious guy. You aint getting a star for one guy when you've been this bad for this long.

They have 2 likely allstars in Simmons/Embiid.

They have a stud in Covington.

They have solid role players in Saric, Fultz*, etc.

They have cap space this summer.

I've always liked their coach (went to 76ers games and I saw how engaged he was with the players).

They could have passed on Embiid due to injury but didn't.

The only "duh" pick was Simmons.
splashmtn
Star Player
Star Player

Bol wrote:
They looked like men among boys out there. Haven't seen (bleep) like that in a long time. I think they're the two best players to come into the league this decade.
i dont disagree. wasnt the point of the thread to hate on the 6ers. it was to give people an entire reality view of how they got those guys. they didnt play it smart. they didnt do it right. they just sucked until eventually got the next bron and shaq or kobe and duncan.

any team could have these two if the balls dropped their way too. just enjoy them as basketball fans and stop comparing us to losing franchises.we have to get there with a little picks, some FA's, etc. we cant just suck forever and draft our way back to the promise land.
splashmtn
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Nov 16, 2017 10:48 am    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:
splashmtn wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:
splashmtn wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:

1. Embiid
2. Simmons
3. Ingram
4. Kuz
5. Covington

They have 2 likely allstars in Simmons/Embiid.

They have a stud in Covington.

They have solid role players in Saric, Fultz*, etc.

They have cap space this summer.

I've always liked their coach (went to 76ers games and I saw how engaged he was with the players).

They could have passed on Embiid due to injury but didn't.

The only "duh" pick was Simmons.
again Embid pick was DUH, fultz was DUH, Simmons was duh. and a lot of picks before that were Duh picks.

outside of covington they havent used their brains. just because those picks turned into bron and shaq doesnt mean they did anything special. they didnt. they just sucked forever. any team can do that and pray the balls drop their way. or keep kicking the can down the road for next year and next year and next year. Is that what you want out of your lakers? You want to keep going to the well until we get the next magic, kobe, shaq? serious question. would you still be a fan after all that intentional getting rid of solid players to be sorry again so you can again draft guys?
splashmtn
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Nov 16, 2017 10:52 am    Post subject:

Theseus wrote:
It is weird how patience with a young team pays off in the long term rather than the short term. What a weird concept.
lol, thats not patience with a young team. its being sorry until you draft studs. sure those studs got hurt early one got hurt more than once. but he was still the next hakeem in college.

you give the lakers HAKEEM and MAGIC right now and if they get hurt, they wont be trying to trade them away. thats a no brainer. especially when you're intentionally trying to lose more games to stock pile more picks.

what if i told you we can draft a hurt shaq and a hurt kobe who's injuries could go away after a few years. while we sit on them as two hurt guys, we can then draft tracy mcgrady and vince carter. what would you do? that does not take any brain power to do this. any one of us on LG could've just sat their and done nothing but lose and get more picks.
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

Quote:
again Embid pick was DUH, fultz was DUH, Simmons was duh. and a lot of picks before that were Duh picks.

outside of covington they havent used their brains. just because those picks turned into bron and shaq doesnt mean they did anything special. they didnt. they just sucked forever. any team can do that and pray the balls drop their way. or keep kicking the can down the road for next year and next year and next year. Is that what you want out of your lakers? You want to keep going to the well until we get the next magic, kobe, shaq? serious question. would you still be a fan after all that intentional getting rid of solid players to be sorry again so you can again draft guys?

Embiid was not a "duh" pick b/c Wiggins/Parker went ahead of them when it was clear Embiid was more talented. He had injuries.

Fultz wasn't a "duh" pick b/c the Celtics traded out of #1.

What makes them special is they took risks by looking for guys like Covington. They were frequently in the 70-80% off sales racks and found Covington. They managed to make TJ "I'm Your Accountant" McConnell into a rotation player. They've developed TLC nicely, and Holmes is probably a rotation level big man everywhere else.
noahp45
Star Player
Star Player

splashmtn wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:

1. Embiid
2. Simmons
3. Ingram
4. Kuz
5. Covington

Real Talk right here
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Nov 16, 2017 10:53 am    Post subject:

What is sad to see is we've lost objectivity.

I hope our FO isn't consumed by Lakers exceptionalism and glossing over some in-house/infrastructure issues. The first step towards righting the ship is to be honest with evaluating players. When we toss around "untouchable" and other overly hyped drivel, we lose that. No one on this team has reached a level where they are untouchable. 76ers, they probably have 2 untouchable players (objectively speaking).
Laker_Town
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Nov 16, 2017 10:58 am    Post subject:

The difference is Philly accepted the process long before we wanted to accept. This organization has failed at grasping reality for a long time.

That process of the rebuild was way overdue.

That's this organizations problem...

What's this new plan? The same as the old... Hope to sign some big names. Punt. Punt. Punt.
noahp45
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Nov 16, 2017 11:04 am    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:
What is sad to see is we've lost objectivity.

I hope our FO isn't consumed by Lakers exceptionalism and glossing over some in-house/infrastructure issues. The first step towards righting the ship is to be honest with evaluating players. When we toss around "untouchable" and other overly hyped drivel, we lose that. No one on this team has reached a level where they are untouchable. 76ers, they probably have 2 untouchable players (objectively speaking).

maybe not untouchable, but more then likely we wont trade these dudes(Ball, Kuz, ingram) Build with them. Unless we get offered a Greek Freak or Klay for them.

I want PG13, Klay, Avery, A-Gordon and Maybe IT
pmacla
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Nov 16, 2017 11:08 am    Post subject:

I am glad Embiid and Simmons look to be a force in the East I hope they stay healthy and beat the crap out of Boston every year for years to come
Dr. Funkbot
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Nov 16, 2017 11:09 am    Post subject:

Not gonna lie, Simmons looks like the next Magic, not Zo. Dude is so big and skilled. DANG! He dogged it so much at LSU I did have doubts in my mind about him coming out of the draft, but I really guess that was because he wanted to just go straight to the NBA and waste time not getting paid.

I am sure the Lakers would have drafted him instead of BI, but we did not have the first pick. We didn't get to draft Towns either. Sixers have been lucky with the first overall picks. But then again they took tanking to a new level.

BUT- Zo is not chopped liver and he is a pretty darn big PG himself. He plays great D already and obviously has the vision. Zo will come around, he is too smart/dedicated/physically gifted not to. I mean honestly, I did not expect his D to be so good along with his rebounding. Right now he is playing tight like BI was. He will get over it. Plus he is the youngest player ever to have a triple double- FLASHES.

Joel is freaking monster. Man I was glad we had some size in Bogut out there to deal with him otherwise he would have had 60 points. We obviously have no analogy to him- no one really does. Teams are going to have to start carrying around Ostertag/Dikembe type players on their roster to deal with him if he can stay healthy.

Our wildcards are Kuz and BI. Both had great games last night. Our future is bright, but at this point not as bright as those dang sixers.
CRoost
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Nov 16, 2017 11:11 am    Post subject:

splashmtn wrote:
Dr. Funkbot wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:
Dr. Funkbot wrote:
PHILosophize wrote:
Inverse wrote:
Hard for me to imagine we lose this game if D'Angelo Russell is on our squad still

Lonzo
DLO
Ingram
Kuzma
Randle

would've beaten the sixers today, even if they were having career nights. Yeah I know, DLO isn't on the team, move on blah blah blah. W/e point is, we've drafted good players too

The loss today is on Luke. He embarrassed Randle by letting him get destroyed out there

well DLO is hurt right now so he would not have played tonight

I was going to say that!

Wow, the pettiness continues! Even after his Lakers death.

Y- I think that DLO has somewhat fragile knees and that played a part in the FO choosing to move him with Moz. I'm not trying to be that petty
i said this before we traded him. I said, dlo keeps getting these nick nack injuries and the knee issues are real. if you arent super athletic already. whats going to be your speed/quicks if you end up being a guy with bad knees. not drew bad. but always sore always having problems with them this early in your career? I think the FO looked at that, and looked at his work ethic and realize. he aint ready to be that guy. so if we have to trade away someone. to get rid of the mozzy contract. it has to be dlo.

They didnt want randle and mos. and it would've cost us randle, JC, then mos. thats too much. even if we flip them at a later date for something else.

If you are having early knee issues that are not bynum bad. You can possibly do some things to fix those issues if you're a crazy work ethic type of guy like a kobe. But if you're not. you will always have those issues.

Work ethic, ailing knee, unathletic, know it all attitude , Mozzy contract. Bad investments.
CRoost
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Nov 16, 2017 11:14 am    Post subject:

Dr. Funkbot wrote:
Not gonna lie, Simmons looks like the next Magic, not Zo. Dude is so big and skilled. DANG! He dogged it so much at LSU I did have doubts in my mind about him coming out of the draft, but I really guess that was because he wanted to just go straight to the NBA and waste time not getting paid.

I am sure the Lakers would have drafted him instead of BI, but we did not have the first pick. We didn't get to draft Towns either. Sixers have been lucky with the first overall picks. But then again they took tanking to a new level.

BUT- Zo is not chopped liver and he is a pretty darn big PG himself. He plays great D already and obviously has the vision. Zo will come around, he is too smart/dedicated/physically gifted not to. I mean honestly, I did not expect his D to be so good along with his rebounding. Right now he is playing tight like BI was. He will get over it. Plus he is the youngest player ever to have a triple double- FLASHES.

Joel is freaking monster. Man I was glad we had some size in Bogut out there to deal with him otherwise he would have had 60 points. We obviously have no analogy to him- no one really does. Teams are going to have to start carrying around Ostertag/Dikembe type players on their roster to deal with him if he can stay healthy.

Our wildcards are Kuz and BI. Both had great games last night. Our future is bright, but at this point not as bright as those dang sixers.

I share the same exact sentiment. Time will tell .
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Nov 16, 2017 11:17 am    Post subject:

splashmtn wrote:
lakersfan85 wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:
Sentient Meat wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:
Sentient Meat wrote:
CRoost wrote:

and they have a #1 pick just sitting on the bench recovering from a shoulder injury.
thats what happens when you keep intentionally tanking.

there is no comparing us to them. its foolish to do so. we dont compare. two completely different franchises.

But it hasn’t happened to us after intentionally tanking. It is comparable, we both took the same path and it has worked out better for them. But 1985, amirite?
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
Page 6 of 10
Jump to: