Are the Celtics for real?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> General Basketball Discussion Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Runway8
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Nov 16, 2017 8:09 pm    Post subject:

lakersken80 wrote:
ringfinger wrote:
Brad stevens is so good. I mean, they started out slow after the hayward injury and have reeled off 13 wins since then. Damn.

Interrsting dilemma they'll have when Hayward is back because jaylen brown looks really good

Thats one hell of a rebuild job they did...they missed the playoffs for what 1 year?

Two key things..

1. That Russian idiot gave the Celtics so much versatility when they gave up all those picks for those Has Beens.
2. IT was begging to be a Laker, but we were busy going for the home runs. IT ultimately netted them Kyrie.
ringfinger
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Nov 16, 2017 9:02 pm    Post subject:

lakersken80 wrote:
ringfinger wrote:
Brad stevens is so good. I mean, they started out slow after the hayward injury and have reeled off 13 wins since then. Damn.

Interrsting dilemma they'll have when Hayward is back because jaylen brown looks really good

Thats one hell of a rebuild job they did...they missed the playoffs for what 1 year?

Yeah. They really did everything well. Draft picks, acquistions, and coaching. And more picks coming too.
Gellollo
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Nov 16, 2017 10:37 pm    Post subject:

The Dubs are so useless... can someone end their streak already?
Laker_Dynasty_01
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Nov 17, 2017 1:28 am    Post subject:

Runway8 wrote:
lakersken80 wrote:
ringfinger wrote:

Two key things..

1. That Russian idiot gave the Celtics so much versatility when they gave up all those picks for those Has Beens.
2. IT was begging to be a Laker, but we were busy going for the home runs. IT ultimately netted them Kyrie.

Brooklyn's pick and Crowder had more to do with the trade than an injured not-quite-superstar who has a large raise coming. Ready to eat crow if wrong but just can't see the Cavs keeping IT if this is indeed LeBron's final year in Cleveland, not unless they find takers for Shumpert and Thompson. Boston wasn't keen on paying Isaiah his asking price (he did mention something about a Brinks truck), and Cleveland will likely rebuild and try to get under the cap ASAP.

Ainge may be shrewd, and Stevens may be the best tactical coach in the league, but credit Billy King and Prokhorov for co-executives of the decade for their work in rebuilding the Celtics.
Shecky
Sixth Man
Sixth Man

PostPosted: Fri Nov 17, 2017 6:37 am    Post subject:

Runway8 wrote:
lakersken80 wrote:
ringfinger wrote:

Two key things..

The really staggering part is that all those Brooklyn picks were unprotected. Four first round picks and not a single one had any stipulations.
Former Nets General Manager Billy King, ladies and gentlemen.
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Nov 17, 2017 7:07 am    Post subject:

The Celtics real MVP?

The Brooklyn Nets.

Gave them Brown, Tatum, and basically Kyrie, all for the aging corpses of Pierce/KG.
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Nov 17, 2017 7:35 am    Post subject:

ksmgf wrote:
And they beat GS tonite Is Jalen Brown a future all star?

Of course they have to prove me wrong
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Nov 17, 2017 8:01 am    Post subject:

Runway8 wrote:
lakersken80 wrote:
ringfinger wrote:

Two key things..

I think Crowder/BKN likely top 5 pick was more of the impetus b/c they knew IT was hurt.
Vancouver Fan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Nov 17, 2017 8:09 am    Post subject:

Ainge, that piece of (bleep), has been setting themselves up nicely.
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Nov 17, 2017 9:42 am    Post subject:

I gotta admit these dudes look like the real deal rn

As do the 2 young bucks from Philly.

Ugh
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
slavavov
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Nov 17, 2017 10:06 am    Post subject:

ringfinger wrote:
slavavov wrote:
Hayward or no Hayward, that team needs Kyrie to become a big time scorer. He's being too passive right now. Isn't this what he wanted? Didn't he want to spread his wings and score close to 30 a game? That's what they need to have any chance of taking down Lebron in the playoffs.

He's still dealing with the effects of a broken face. Started out the game with a mask on, took it off so probably a little tentative.

But I'd say he's done just fine. They have won 13 in a row and i believe are the leagues best defense.

He's doing fine right now, but he'll have to tap into that Mamba Mentality later in the season and especially in the playoffs if they are going to be a real contender and not just a pretender.
Krispy Kreme
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Nov 17, 2017 10:32 am    Post subject:

they have no chance to beat the warriors in the finals. the warriors were up 17 points and just choked.

warriors will beat the celtics in 5 if they face them in the finals (which they wont.. the cavs will make it again)
governator
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Nov 17, 2017 10:34 am    Post subject:

That was an impressive win by the damn Celticks, coming back from 17, holding GS under 90. If they can prove that they can beat GS in an offensive game too, they have a puncher's chance

Basically, do you still have Cavs ahead of them when IT is back? (maybe Celts will sign somebody too)
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Nov 17, 2017 10:50 am    Post subject:

LBJ probably more concerned about being beat by the Celts this year and not making the Finals. Certainly if he stays on the Cavs, I think Celts can start beating him as soon as this year and for the forseeable future.

Does he join the 76ers? Lakers?
Baron Von Humongous
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Nov 17, 2017 1:35 pm    Post subject:

governator wrote:
That was an impressive win by the damn Celticks, coming back from 17, holding GS under 90. If they can prove that they can beat GS in an offensive game too, they have a puncher's chance

Basically, do you still have Cavs ahead of them when IT is back? (maybe Celts will sign somebody too)

I think the Celtics will easily finish ahead of them in the standings, but I could see a healthy Cavs team take them in 6-7 games in the playoffs due to experience and Lebron.

But the Celtics are obviously poised to overtake them this year or next - put Hayward out there instead of Morris and I think they're set to control the east for a few years depending on how Fultz develops in Philly, if Giannis can ever get a second star next to him, and if the Wizards can land Cousins.
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Nov 17, 2017 2:01 pm    Post subject:

The future of the East will be epic showdowns b/w the Celtics and 76ers.

Bucks/Wiz fill out the 3rd/4th spots.

Go 76ers. Buck Foston.
Baron Von Humongous
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Nov 17, 2017 2:14 pm    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:

Go 76ers. Buck Foston.

Screw them both, tbh.
Aeneas Hunter
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Nov 17, 2017 3:57 pm    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:

Go 76ers. Buck Foston.

It’s been flying under the radar, but one of the most surprising developments this year is that the disparity between East and West has essentially vanished, at least so far.
panamaniac
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Nov 27, 2017 7:02 pm    Post subject:

Aeneas Hunter wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:

Go 76ers. Buck Foston.

It’s been flying under the radar, but one of the most surprising developments this year is that the disparity between East and West has essentially vanished, at least so far.

Many of those awful EC teams that spent the last decade in futility are reaping the fruits of suckage now that their top draft picks are panning out.
Shecky
Sixth Man
Sixth Man

PostPosted: Tue Nov 28, 2017 11:08 am    Post subject:

The Grind wrote:
Aeneas Hunter wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:

Go 76ers. Buck Foston.

Many of those awful EC teams that spent the last decade in futility are reaping the fruits of suckage now that their top draft picks are panning out.

As embarrassing as 5 years of flat-out throwing games can be, Philly now has the pieces in place to compete.
And after 16 straight wins, Boston's dropped 2 of their past 4 (at least in part because of 3 games in the past 4 nights.) Appears to me Brown and Tatum are hitting their "20 game wall." See how long that lasts. Tatum took only 7 shots last night and he's capable of so much more offensively.
He's very young, not gonna turn 20 until March, so I think he's reluctant to force his offense on a veteran team but he can score a lot of ways. And right now they need him to.
activeverb
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Nov 28, 2017 11:50 am    Post subject:

Shecky wrote:
The Grind wrote:
Aeneas Hunter wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:

Go 76ers. Buck Foston.

As embarrassing as 5 years of flat-out throwing games can be, Philly now has the pieces in place to compete.
And after 16 straight wins, Boston's dropped 2 of their past 4 (at least in part because of 3 games in the past 4 nights.) Appears to me Brown and Tatum are hitting their "20 game wall." See how long that lasts. Tatum took only 7 shots last night and he's capable of so much more offensively.
He's very young, not gonna turn 20 until March, so I think he's reluctant to force his offense on a veteran team but he can score a lot of ways. And right now they need him to.

20 games is early for the rookie wall; most people think of it as being 30 games (similar to the college season), and lots of people question whether it's simply a myth.

I don't know if the 7 shots mean anything -- for the season, Tatum is averaging 9.2 shots per game and he's taken 7 or less shots in about 40% of his games. So his taking 7 shots isn't unusual.

As far as Boston, win streaks don't last forever and few people expected them to win 90% of their games. It's a long season, and every player and team has ups and downs.
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Nov 28, 2017 12:04 pm    Post subject:

76ers resurgence is built partly on EMbiid's health, which is fleeting.
trablos
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Nov 28, 2017 12:10 pm    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:
The Celtics real MVP?

The Brooklyn Nets.

Gave them Brown, Tatum, and basically Kyrie, all for the aging corpses of Pierce/KG.

This is what gets me. Although its painful to see them doing everything right, I have to give credit where its due. But this move alone was so lopsided, and should have never been allowed to happen, and they would not be where they are now without it.

Imagine if we traded Pau and Lamar for 4 1st rounders from one of the worst teams in the league. Sure we would have done a great job, but you're getting a deal gift wrapped with a nice greeting card saying "Thanks for the vets, good luck with your rebuild!!!"
Shecky
Sixth Man
Sixth Man

PostPosted: Tue Nov 28, 2017 12:28 pm    Post subject:

activeverb wrote:
Shecky wrote:
The Grind wrote:
Aeneas Hunter wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:

Go 76ers. Buck Foston.

20 games is early for the rookie wall; most people think of it as being 30 games (similar to the college season), and lots of people question whether it's simply a myth.

I don't know if the 7 shots mean anything -- for the season, Tatum is averaging 9.2 shots per game and he's taken 7 or less shots in about 40% of his games. So his taking 7 shots isn't unusual.

As far as Boston, win streaks don't last forever and few people expected them to win 90% of their games. It's a long season, and every player and team has ups and downs.

Right about Tatum's shots. My point is he's not doing it enough. When Marcus Smart is taking more shots per game suffice to say, Tatum needs to be shooting more.
30 games? Maybe but the NBA schedule is so different and obviously much more taxing on young players. Boston had just finished 3 games in 4 nights and with multiple game road trips, arriving at 3 AM, etc...it's just light years more challenging than a college schedule.
30 games may be the "hit the wall" number but it's likely different for every young player. One thing's for sure; they looked exhausted in the final minutes of last night's game vs. Detroit.
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Nov 28, 2017 12:34 pm    Post subject:

The scary part is what they are doing right now without Hayward.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> General Basketball Discussion All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3
Jump to: