OFFICIAL LONZO BALL THREAD
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 656, 657, 658 ... 1686, 1687, 1688  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> General Basketball Discussion Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Nov 17, 2017 6:16 am    Post subject:

adkindo wrote:
Fracture wrote:
TheBlackMamba wrote:
I don't buy that he would say that to save his image. Makes no sense, it's not as if the casual b-ball fan and national media pays attention to every word of Luke's press conferences on off days. How about this? Making shots in games will save his image, what a novel concept...

Pretty much, why the hell would anyone lie about him practicing some jumpers

no idea if it is true or not, but I would not be surprised if the organization was distributing false information or propaganda. I think you underestimate how these little nuggets of information trickle into the media and "twittersphere"....and how many idiots/fans like us consume these pointless nuggets.

I mean, lets be honest...this is not a Hollywood movie....the trajectory of his career is not going to be based on if he got up shots last night, or got a good nights sleep and got them up this morning. That being said, the PR professionals realize our brains still consume this information as if it is a "good guy always wins" script. Why do you think we just happened to find out that Brandon had to be kicked out of the gym this summer....or Brook was getting up shots the day he arrived in LA....or even how the "Breakfast Club" was highlighted and promoted under the old regime.

Right now, right this very second, Magic and Pelinka's entire credibility as executives is linked to the public perception of Lonzo. That will change over time, but right now, they are tied to Lonzo and pretty much only Lonzo. In that light, they are not above "fake news" and propaganda (nor would you or I if we were in that position). It is not about protecting Lonzo....it is self serving in protecting the FO.

Again, I have not idea if its true or false.

The 3 pillars of this Lakers FO:

1. 2 max plan
2. Lonzo
3. Ingram.

Only #3 looks optimistic at this point IMO.
av3773
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Nov 17, 2017 6:16 am    Post subject:

He's a rookie, relax.....does his confidence seem a bit shaky,yes, but Lonzo has succeeded spectacularly at every level up to this point, so no reason to think he's not going to figure it out. So his shot sucks, great maybe that's a blessing in disguise, someone won't need to tell him to change it, he'll understand he needs to change it. So if he does, I suspect I a guy who historically has been a pretty accurate shooter will be so once again and if totally rebuilds his shot he'll be able to go left or right.

Other parts of his game are pretty mature for this stage.

1) Play maker - sure room for improvement but he's show quite a bit he has a good ability to distribute and put people in scoring situations

2) Rebound - he's already pretty great at this for a PG and I suspect as he gets stonger and more familiar with the NBA he's only get better

3) D - I actually think he's better than advertised, definitely a lot of room to grow, but it's not like he's Okafor or something

So lots of good things from a young rookie...his inconsistent right now and not play great, that happens to pretty much every rookie
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Nov 17, 2017 6:19 am    Post subject:

It won't end b/c the memo to the league about Lonzo is:

1. free safeties on transition plays. Covington/Simmons prevented a lot of Lonzo's go ahead passes in transition.

2. make him shoot. Defenders will dare him to make a jumper on them. It's getting to his head.

3. let him drive to the paint where he isn't exactly finishing.

Lonzo needs to work/adapt against these things or he will be neutered offensively aside from his outstanding rebounding/defense.
RI Laker
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Nov 17, 2017 6:31 am    Post subject:

This venom towards this kid is RIDICULOUS. He will be fine. There has never been a rookie with more on his shoulders than this kid. Coming into the league at 19 years old, playing the toughest position in basketball, going to a storied franchise and looked upon as being some sort of savior, and obviously the shrapnel coming from his father (who may be the most hated guy in sports). The kid has played 15 f'ing games. Sure he has shot horrible. So what. He will work that out. He has given us glimpses of his potential including being GREAT passer AND rebounder, he blocks shots, can drive to the basket, and makes everyone play harder (because they know they will get the ball passed their way). I have been pleasantly surprised by his D as well. He seems to be a likeable kid with no chip on his shoulder. We need to look at this season as an extended exhibition season with the purpose of staying competitive while developing our kids. This kid will be part of our a young trio (KUZ and BI). They are a nice start and the sky is the limit for all of them.
anth2000
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Nov 17, 2017 7:18 am    Post subject:

Spot on!! Thank you.

Yes, Lonzo was way hyped and that is unfortunate. It has put a huge target on his back. We see what he can do (triple double) but, as with any rookie, he is going to have good games and a lot of bad games.

I am thankful that Lavar is not talking. That would be terrible right about now. Shut up and let the kid work through it.

I do agree with many of the sentiments here about his ugly shot. How in the hell would you let your son (or if you are a coach, your player) develop such as stupid ugly looking shot? I have two sons 10 and 12 that could likely shoot better.

I hope he fixes that...

RI Laker wrote:
This venom towards this kid is RIDICULOUS. He will be fine. There has never been a rookie with more on his shoulders than this kid. Coming into the league at 19 years old, playing the toughest position in basketball, going to a storied franchise and looked upon as being some sort of savior, and obviously the shrapnel coming from his father (who may be the most hated guy in sports). The kid has played 15 f'ing games. Sure he has shot horrible. So what. He will work that out. He has given us glimpses of his potential including being GREAT passer AND rebounder, he blocks shots, can drive to the basket, and makes everyone play harder (because they know they will get the ball passed their way). I have been pleasantly surprised by his D as well. He seems to be a likeable kid with no chip on his shoulder. We need to look at this season as an extended exhibition season with the purpose of staying competitive while developing our kids. This kid will be part of our a young trio (KUZ and BI). They are a nice start and the sky is the limit for all of them.
pmacla
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Nov 17, 2017 7:29 am    Post subject:

Perspective he is most compared to Jason Kidd and so far game really resembles that to me

Jason Kidd first 15 games of career Age 21 9.3 pts 6.2 rebs 6.9 Ast fg% 33% 3pfg% 14%

Lonzo first 15 games of career age 20 9.0 pts 6.6 rebs 6.9 ast fg% 30% 3pfg% 23%

relax kid will start shooting better he is a winner and we will see the results
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Nov 17, 2017 7:38 am    Post subject:

I think Lonzo needs a moment to exhale. Kid's gone through quite the emotional rollercoaster in 1 year. However, the NBA grind is brutal and there is no such time (as he will probably be a part of all star weekend too).
kobetimeeverytime
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Nov 17, 2017 8:17 am    Post subject:

pmacla wrote:
Perspective he is most compared to Jason Kidd and so far game really resembles that to me

Jason Kidd first 15 games of career Age 21 9.3 pts 6.2 rebs 6.9 Ast fg% 33% 3pfg% 14%

Lonzo first 15 games of career age 20 9.0 pts 6.6 rebs 6.9 ast fg% 30% 3pfg% 23%

relax kid will start shooting better he is a winner and we will see the results

I agree I said before Kidd is a great comparison, question is whether a PG without a shot is still viable in today's NBA
Joe Pesci
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Nov 17, 2017 8:21 am    Post subject:

For what it’s worth, I’d take Ball’s jumpshot over Kidd’s (up until his twilight) any day of the week.
HumanVictoryCigar
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Nov 17, 2017 8:51 am    Post subject:

I've been impressed with him. His shot has been off - for whatever reason, possibly he's just thinking too much so he's just not as focused on simply taking the shot and believing it will go in but the turnovers haven't been that bad for a young guy with the ball in his hands so much. I just hope Luke hasn't moved the goalposts on him and already started harping on cutting down turnovers - making Lonzo less aggressive. He's already got the shooting thing hanging over his head, now it's "oh, by the way, don't make any mistakes"?
kobe_somebody_odom
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Nov 17, 2017 8:59 am    Post subject:

RI Laker wrote:

Agreed, this kid has shown more glimmers than most in 15 games and has a lot of pressure on his shoulders. He has had two games far better than any player on the Lakers this year. These are just signs of things to come when the kid is more physically ready.

Lakers fans should be excited.... there will be poor games like all rookies but I suspect things will look amazing as soon as the shot starts to drop and especially next year after one offseason of NBA training.
Ziggy
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Nov 17, 2017 9:11 am    Post subject:

I'm not as worried about Lonzo's shot as I am his confidence and aggression level. He goes through these long stretches of games where he's wayyyy too passive. That was one of his red flags at UCLA too.
governator
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Nov 17, 2017 9:15 am    Post subject:

I’m not worried about Lonzo’s Potential, he’ll get there but why we forcing him so hard to be ‘the star’ now? I got it that Magic had declared it but he’s been under tons of pressure which in my opinion, does affect his play especially his shots. Let the kid breathe and come off the bench
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Nov 17, 2017 9:16 am    Post subject:

What was a bit worrying is that even when his shot wasn't falling, he was defending well, rebounding, hustling, being active.

For some reason the 76ers just killed his drive. He looked as deflated as can be. Hopefully just something he can snap out of.
AFireInside619
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Nov 17, 2017 9:46 am    Post subject:

If any of this is Magic's fault, it's so minuscule it doesn't even matter. He was hyping the Lakers up for the world (and Lebron) to see. Ingram is living up to it. Maybe Lonzo will this season, maybe not, but to blame Magic is wrong. What about blaming his Dad for the hatred and unnecessary attention. How about blaming Lonzo for living inside his own head and not showing up for nationally televised games. How about blaming yourselves for wanting this guy just because he's from SoCal and played for UCLA. How about blaming DLO for Snapgate, showing up late for practices, not understanding Luke's defense even when they personally dumbed it down for him. And don't forget that time he kickied an in-bounds out of bounds putting the nail into his Lakers coffin. If DLO didn't do any of those things maybe we might have traded the #2 pick and not have to worry about Ball, although the Nets might have taken Kuzma and I'd rather have Kuz over DLO. How about blaming Gelo for being a idiot. How about blaming UCLA for putting Gelo in position to an idiot.

I'm just saying if there's someone to blame for Zo's struggles right now, pinpointing Magic alone is dumb. You don't want negative attention and added pressure? Don't have a tv show. Don't put out rap songs just yet. Don't worry about being a branding sensation. Just play and let these things come afterwards.

I see a lot of potential in Ball, and if he wasn't a Laker or the 2nd pick, the pressure and the spotlight would be different. How's Josh Jackson doing? Who knows? Who cares? But blaming Magic and only Magic is just ridiculous.
BadGuy
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Nov 17, 2017 9:50 am    Post subject:

Gelo situation definitely affected him. As the oldest brother myself, I know that you worry about your younger siblings a lot when they're in trouble. With that said, Lonzo impacts the game in so many different ways outside of scoring that I am not concerned about his shooting at all. If it's still a problem after the all-star break, the off-season will be the perfect time to work on it.
LakersNewEra
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Nov 17, 2017 9:56 am    Post subject:

He will need at least a year if not more. Does anyone actually expect him to turn it around this season though?
This year he needs to prove that he's an NBA caliber player in the first place. So far he has played as someone thats G league bound
But he did have those 2 huge games so clearly he has something, theres something there but it will take a lot of time for him to get better. I certainly dont expect it this year, for this year I hope he proves he can play in the NBA and that hes not a liability.
iimarshon
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Nov 17, 2017 9:58 am    Post subject:

His shot has been off pretty much all year.

But the rest of his game has been solid all year.

Blocks lots of shots, playing good D, rebounding and assists.

And we've seen him have good scoring nights - just not regularly.

Im really not concerned.

I mostly wish his shot would land just so people would lay off him.
trablos
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Nov 17, 2017 10:03 am    Post subject:

AFireInside619 wrote:
If any of this is Magic's fault, it's so minuscule it doesn't even matter. He was hyping the Lakers up for the world (and Lebron) to see. Ingram is living up to it. Maybe Lonzo will this season, maybe not, but to blame Magic is wrong. What about blaming his Dad for the hatred and unnecessary attention. How about blaming Lonzo for living inside his own head and not showing up for nationally televised games. How about blaming yourselves for wanting this guy just because he's from SoCal and played for UCLA. How about blaming DLO for Snapgate, showing up late for practices, not understanding Luke's defense even when they personally dumbed it down for him. And don't forget that time he kickied an in-bounds out of bounds putting the nail into his Lakers coffin. If DLO didn't do any of those things maybe we might have traded the #2 pick and not have to worry about Ball, although the Nets might have taken Kuzma and I'd rather have Kuz over DLO. How about blaming Gelo for being a idiot. How about blaming UCLA for putting Gelo in position to an idiot.

I'm just saying if there's someone to blame for Zo's struggles right now, pinpointing Magic alone is dumb. You don't want negative attention and added pressure? Don't have a tv show. Don't put out rap songs just yet. Don't worry about being a branding sensation. Just play and let these things come afterwards.

I see a lot of potential in Ball, and if he wasn't a Laker or the 2nd pick, the pressure and the spotlight would be different. How's Josh Jackson doing? Who knows? Who cares? But blaming Magic and only Magic is just ridiculous.

Well said. Personal accountability seems to be lost these days. The only one to blame for Lonzo's struggles is Lonzo.
iimarshon
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Nov 17, 2017 10:07 am    Post subject:

The only thing off with Zo is his shot. The rest has been fine.

Internet has been blowing Frank Nkiltina so hard but Zo is having a better season then him in almost every category.
Cutheon
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Nov 17, 2017 10:09 am    Post subject:

I still think he will be fine. However, it continues to be obvious that Lavar did his son a disservice and I think if Wonder Woman lasso'd him he'd admit he should have shut the (bleep) up this past year.
PhiberOptik
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Nov 17, 2017 10:12 am    Post subject:

iimarshon wrote:

Internet has been blowing Frank Nkiltina so hard but Zo is having a better season then him in almost every category.

It's not even his shot at this point. It's his drive and passion which is being questioned. Did you see how the young players performed last game? All of them were passionate to be good.

We all know offensively it's not going his way for what...15 games now? But he could have done a lot of things to help his team win. I swear the guy was literally afraid that game.
AFireInside619
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Nov 17, 2017 10:13 am    Post subject:

iimarshon wrote:

Right. Part of the reason is the expectations and most of the reason is he's a Laker. It's par for the course for us. They same people on social media calling DLO a bust when he was here are now saying he's amazing and we got fleeced. It's just a Laker-hater thing.

To their credit Ball can't shoot though, so that's easy to pick on.
adkindo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Nov 17, 2017 10:24 am    Post subject:

RI Laker wrote:
Put the 20 year older on waivers. His 15 game NBA career speaks volumes.

you whipped that straw mans ass...nice job
JrR31
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Fri Nov 17, 2017 10:37 am    Post subject:

captain jack wrote:
I just hope the young brutha worked not only on three point shots, but mid range shots too. I'm not giving up on him, but what I didn't like from Wednesday night is that he seemed like he raised the white flag because he couldn't make a shot. There is more ways to be productive in a game. Heck Jaylen Brown played his heart out last night after learning about his best friend passing away. Bottom-line, he found a way.

Wha? not just his shot. He needs to work on being aggressive and not passive even in practice the kid looks like he is just going through the motion like it's a brisk walk in the park.

I would make him work on his aggression and passion along with that broke jump shot.

We can blame lavar.

He started this mess. Hyping his son.

Then we can blame Magic for believing in Lavar and hyped this kid even more.

Then we can blame Lonzo ball for believing his dad Lavar thiking he is the best player in the world and doesn't have to exert any effort.

No effort, zero aggression or passion because in his mind he just needs to play like he is strolling in the venice beach.

The bottom line is these fools. Lavar, Magic, Palinka and Lonzo are fooling each other and themselves.

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> General Basketball Discussion All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 656, 657, 658 ... 1686, 1687, 1688  Next
Page 657 of 1688
Jump to: