Do you eat the blighted parts of a banana/avocado?
Goto page Previous  1, 2

View previous topic :: View next topic  
JerryMagicKobe

PostPosted: Fri Nov 17, 2017 9:59 am    Post subject:

Vin wrote:
...Can't be worried about a banana killing me.

Be afraid.

Be very afraid.
non-player zealot
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Nov 17, 2017 12:02 pm    Post subject:

Fun fact, large supermarket chain distributors have banana volts where I think they inject that one chemical to preserve them and they're kept at constant chilled condition. I remember seeing that on Modern Marvels, they all have huge steel banana volts.

I just wanted to say volt.

edit: found it

vanexelent
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Nov 17, 2017 2:44 pm    Post subject:

Organic bananas always last longer and are better tasting, I've found. I know it's one of those fruits that offers more protection from pesticides, but generally I buy organic because of the quality.
jodeke
Retired Number
Retired Number

Location: In a world where admitting to not knowing something is considered a great way to learn.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 18, 2017 8:33 am    Post subject:

non-player zealot wrote:
Fun fact, large supermarket chain distributors have banana volts where I think they inject that one chemical to preserve them and they're kept at constant chilled condition. I remember seeing that on Modern Marvels, they all have huge steel banana volts.

That kinda makes don't put bananas in the refrigerator questionable. Mine last longer when I refrigerate them.

America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we falter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves.
ExPatLkrFan
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Nov 18, 2017 5:17 pm    Post subject:

jodeke wrote:
non-player zealot wrote:

That kinda makes don't put bananas in the refrigerator questionable. Mine last longer when I refrigerate them.

You can refrigerate they are transported that way
jodeke
Retired Number
Retired Number

Location: In a world where admitting to not knowing something is considered a great way to learn.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 19, 2017 10:25 pm    Post subject:

ExPatLkrFan wrote:
jodeke wrote:
I do what I'm not supposed to. I keep my bananas in the refrigerator. If I don't they get brown fast. In the frig they keep their color an flavor. Even there you can't keep them to long. My last fresh 10 days or more.

When they get ripe you can take them off the stalk and it slows down the ripening process.
I bought some Friday slightly green near the stalk. I broke them apart when I got home. Your way is great. I've had them 5 days, they've remained yellow, no browning as yet. I think they may last another 3 maybe 4 days without browning. Thanks......

America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we falter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves.
ringfinger
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Dec 20, 2017 6:30 am    Post subject:

I personally like my banana errrr, on the firmer side. I even prefer it slightly green.

Definitely avoid the mushy brown parts.

I also remove those stringy bits. Who else does that? Haha
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Dec 20, 2017 11:07 am    Post subject:

For sure with avocados, the brown is only oxidation. Put a little lime juice on them and they won’t brown.
ExPatLkrFan
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Dec 20, 2017 3:10 pm    Post subject:

jodeke wrote:
ExPatLkrFan wrote:
jodeke wrote:
I do what I'm not supposed to. I keep my bananas in the refrigerator. If I don't they get brown fast. In the frig they keep their color an flavor. Even there you can't keep them to long. My last fresh 10 days or more.

When they get ripe you can take them off the stalk and it slows down the ripening process.
I bought some Friday slightly green near the stalk. I broke them apart when I got home. Your way is great. I've had them 5 days, they've remained yellow, no browning as yet. I think they may last another 3 maybe 4 days without browning. Thanks......

Good, we eat a lot of bananas here, I have several groups of banana plants that periodically give fruit without ant care at all other that pulling out the dead stalks. They come in a stalk wit maybe a hundred bananas on it so you give them away to friends. The leaves are even used for all sorts of things.
jodeke
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Dec 22, 2017 9:42 am    Post subject:

ExPatLkrFan wrote:
jodeke wrote:
ExPatLkrFan wrote:
jodeke wrote:

Good, we eat a lot of bananas here, I have several groups of banana plants that periodically give fruit without ant care at all other that pulling out the dead stalks. They come in a stalk wit maybe a hundred bananas on it so you give them away to friends. The leaves are even used for all sorts of things.

I ate the last banana yesterday. The skin had small dot spots of brown. The fruit was clear, brown free, firm and fresh. You've made my banana day. Thank you....

xxsicrokerxx
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Dec 22, 2017 12:44 pm    Post subject:

My nutrition professor told our class that bananas would've been wiped off the face of the earth decades ago if it hadn't been for us intervening. Chemicals or GMO, I don't remember what he said.
unleasHell
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Dec 22, 2017 3:45 pm    Post subject:

Do you eat the blighted parts of a banana/avocado?

NFW
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Off Topic All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2
Jump to: