PostPosted: Sat Nov 18, 2017 10:01 am    Post subject:

Such a cool band, Aussie rockers.

RIP Malcolm....
ContagiousInspiration
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Nov 18, 2017 10:28 am    Post subject:

Mine too..

Their older Brother who got them started in Music just died last month.. I bet that had something to do with Malcolm going

check this from DMR's link.. blue collar rockers to the core
Quote:
Malcolm and Angus' first brush with rock stardom came courtesy of their brother George, who found global fame thanks to his band the Easybeats and their song "Friday on My Mind." Although Malcolm's two older brothers found success in the music industry, their father still made Malcolm work as a mechanic in a bra factory after leaving school at 15.

"I've never felt like a pop star – this is a nine-to-five sort of gig," Malcolm told Rolling Stone in 2008. "It comes from working in the factories, that world. You don't forget it."

In 1973, Malcolm recruited Angus to form a new band, which the brothers named after the "AC/DC" electrical current marker they spotted on their sister's sewing machine. After a few lineup changes, the Young brothers were introduced to singer Bon Scott by their brother George, who would serve as AC/DC's producer on their early albums.

http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0009540/
169 Soundtrack Credits
panamaniac
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Nov 18, 2017 6:10 pm    Post subject:

Damn, this one sucks.

Feel for Angus... him and Malcolm were tight. Both helped create a great and unique sound that many bands to this day try to copy.
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Nov 18, 2017 10:07 pm    Post subject:

Bummer, loved the band. Interesting discussion on Twitter, was the band better with Bon Scott or after Bon? I fall into the with Bon group.

Unfortunately David Cassidy’s organs are failing, he might be next.
panamaniac
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Nov 25, 2017 4:31 am    Post subject:

venturalakersfan wrote:
Bummer, loved the band. Interesting discussion on Twitter, was the band better with Bon Scott or after Bon? I fall into the with Bon group.

I think the better question would be: has any band replaced a classic lead singer as successfully as AC/DC? Wether you like AC/DC with Bon or Brian, I think most would concede that both eras were amazing and produced some timeless stuff.

Only other example I can think of would be Van Halen with Hagar. Though Van Hagar definitely don't have a Back In Black caliber record.
non-player zealot
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Nov 25, 2017 7:44 am    Post subject:

The Grind wrote:
venturalakersfan wrote:

I think the better question would be: has any band replaced a classic lead singer as successfully as AC/DC? Wether you like AC/DC with Bon or Brian, I think most would concede that both eras were amazing and produced some timeless stuff.

Only other example I can think of would be Van Halen with Hagar. Though Van Hagar definitely don't have a Back In Black caliber record.

I think you could make a slightly better argument for Johnson's iteration of AC/DC being more successful if we're basing it on the difficulty of starting over in their situation. First off, Bon Scott didn't just split, he died. That's a bummer. Led Zeppelin quit after their drummer died, so imagine if Robert Plant died. They had a number of fairly successful albums under Bon Scott, but under Roth, Van Halen had 2 albums that would later become diamond certified in sales before Hagar even stepped in. "1984" was #2 under Thriller for a number of weeks.

Not that sales defined AC/DC, but even as big as they were, there was no band in rock that had a wider net of fan types than VH, and that's even considering how meat 'n potatoes and frankly mainstream AC/DC's rock was under Johnson. Van Hagar might be the top example if we're measuring success by sales alone, but they didn't just instantly get successful because of Sammy. They had 10 years to build to the point where they could absorb him or probably any number of other singers who were floating around in 1985. Sammy was just fortunate enough to take his 512 Berlinetta Boxer to the same mechanic that Eddie went to. Not being able to drive 55 extended Sammy's career for another decade. Plus, Sammy and the toned down version of Eddie in that format have been derided by Roth fans for decades. Your point about no "Back In Black" level album under Sammy fits in here, too, though I will say that for the most part, the Brian Johnson era was like the Sammy Hagar era. That AC/DC was MUCH more commercial than the Bon Scott era. "You Shook Me All Night Long" is every bit a mainstream pop-rock song.

AC/DC also never experienced the kind of rift that VH has between people who became fans during the 1st and 2nd formats. While most AC/DC fans will probably also side with Bon as the top guy, Brian Johnson isn't spited. He's much more appreciated by the early fans. I like both bands and, of course, I prefer both early eras by a wide margin, but that's standard issue.

PS: Genesis replaced Peter Gabriel with Phil Collins. Phil had the more successful era without a doubt. I didn't really understand their early work. It was too artsy. Too intellectual.
LarryCoon
Site Staff
Site Staff

PostPosted: Sat Nov 25, 2017 8:06 am    Post subject:

The Grind wrote:

Hmmm.....Pink Floyd: Syd Barrett --> David Gilmour?

Depending on how you define it, Journey: Gregg Rollie --> Steve Perry, although he just replaced the role, not the person.

Fleetwood Mac: Bob Welch --> Stevie Nicks and Lindsay Buckingham.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
panamaniac
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Nov 25, 2017 7:38 pm    Post subject:

LarryCoon wrote:
The Grind wrote:

Hmmm.....Pink Floyd: Syd Barrett --> David Gilmour?

Depending on how you define it, Journey: Gregg Rollie --> Steve Perry, although he just replaced the role, not the person.

Fleetwood Mac: Bob Welch --> Stevie Nicks and Lindsay Buckingham.

Floyd is most definitely a great example. Syd Barrett, though not my cup of tea, has a huge and devoted following who swear by his talents. In my opinion they rose to a new level when Gilmour and Waters took over the songwriting and vocals. In the case of Journey and FM, I feel like both of those bands are best known for their latter iterations.

Another good example would be Deep Purple (Ian Gillan--->David Coverdale), who made classic albums in both eras (Machine Head and Burn) or Black Sabbath (Ozzy Osbourne--->Ronnie James Dio).
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Off Topic All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: