What is Chris Paul's legacy?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> General Basketball Discussion Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
slavavov
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Nov 18, 2017 6:29 pm    Post subject:

On one hand, some say Paul is a strong, vocal leader. On the other hand, some say he is overrated at a leader and that he thinks he's better than he really is in terms of influencing his teammates.

I think he could've and should've won a title if he had a good enough team around him. In some ways he's been unlucky. If that trade to the Lakers were allowed, he would've played with Kobe and maybe or probably wins a ring. Players of that caliber are seen in a while different light once they win a ring.
activeverb
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Nov 18, 2017 6:32 pm    Post subject:

ringfinger wrote:
A ring won't change his legacy IMO because he's now just a role player and not the guy.

Plus, HOU isn't winning a ring any time soon.

I don't think a single ring changes the perception of a player as much as some fans think.
governator
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Nov 18, 2017 6:45 pm    Post subject:

slavavov wrote:
On one hand, some say Paul is a strong, vocal leader. On the other hand, some say he is overrated at a leader and that he thinks he's better than he really is in terms of influencing his teammates.

I think he could've and should've won a title if he had a good enough team around him. In some ways he's been unlucky. If that trade to the Lakers were allowed, he would've played with Kobe and maybe or probably wins a ring. Players of that caliber are seen in a while different light once they win a ring.

He had an DPOY in DeAndre, COY in Doc Rivers, arguably best PF (after Duncan, KG and Dirk got old), top 3 pt shooter in Reddick and 6th MOY in Jamal Crawford
Omar Little

PostPosted: Sat Nov 18, 2017 6:52 pm    Post subject:

Paul is a very good player and a competitor, and he's a marketable star, so he's going to end up in the short term as an overrated player. Prime against prime, I'd rather have deron Williams or Tony Parker, both of whom gave him trouble in the playoffs, and neither of whom is on anyone's top five list.
slavavov
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Nov 18, 2017 7:08 pm    Post subject:

governator wrote:
slavavov wrote:

He had an DPOY in DeAndre, COY in Doc Rivers, arguably best PF (after Duncan, KG and Dirk got old), top 3 pt shooter in Reddick and 6th MOY in Jamal Crawford

Doc Rivers was an overrated coach and that team didn't have enough pieces. CP3 was their go-to guy in crunch time, but no one else on that team wanted the ball in those situations.

I almost feel bad for him. If he got to play with Kobe, or even with Lebron and one other star like Kevin Love he'd probably have a ring by now.
slavavov
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Nov 18, 2017 7:11 pm    Post subject:

activeverb wrote:
ringfinger wrote:
A ring won't change his legacy IMO because he's now just a role player and not the guy.

I don't think a single ring changes the perception of a player as much as some fans think.

When a great player wins a ring while still playing at that same level it fully validates all of their talent and skills, and that they are now a made man. John Elway and Kevin Garnett come to mind.
CandyCanes
Retired Number
Retired Number

Location: Santa Clarita, CA (Hell) ->>>>>Ithaca, NY -≥≥≥≥≥Berkeley, CA

PostPosted: Sat Nov 18, 2017 7:12 pm    Post subject:

jonnybravo wrote:
CandyCanes wrote:
saetarubia wrote:
CandyCanes wrote:
saetarubia wrote:
Magic, Oscar, Isiah , Steph, Stockton would be my Top 5.

CP3, I'd place after Nash and Kidd.

Why below Nash? Chris Paul is basically Nash's court vision, passing, and shooting combined with Tony Parker's speed.

Nash was just another level shooter. Problem was he was unselfish to a fault and didn't take enough shots. He could have been a much better scorer if he played today imo. Dude was shooting 43, 44, 45.5, 47, 44, 42.6 from 3P in his first 6 years at Phoenix. 42.8% career 3P shooter. Shot over 50% from the field 6 straight years playing PG. He'd be a deadly scoring and play making guard in this era. Feel he'd have taken Blake and DJ farther than Cp3 did in the playoffs as well.

Stoudemire was an overrated superstar at the time given his terrible defending being a big man. Clippers were a much more balanced team. Don't remember many memorable performances from CP3 while I certainly didn't want Nash shooting in crunch time against us in playoffs. Kobe had to be at his absolute best to answer back in 2010 playoffs.

Could Nash hit those threes while being contested? So are you saying he was actually an elite scorer who just preferred to pass?

Nash is the only shooter off the dribble that you could put in the conversation as Curry. We never really saw what he could do uncorked because of the era.

I heard a podcast when they asked Nash about Curry and I found it absolutely fascinating. Nash basically said to the effect of "I see guys try to cover Curry way beyond the 3 point line and he just ends up shooting it from even further back. For me, I would have passed it off if they were sendi9ng guys my way." That's an era thing. The SSoL Suns would be almost close last in today's era in pace too btw.

Nash was the filthies shooter I'd seen until Curry. The mahjority of his 3's were off the dribble, guys weren't passing TO him like the Ray Allen's/Klay's of the world.

Why wasn't Nash anything more than a borderline All-Star in Dallas then?

Would you say Nash was a better shooter than Ray Allen and Reggie Miller overall? (Could he also spot up for threes like they could or was he limited to off the dribble?)

I always thought of Nash as being a very limited scorer like Kidd and Rondo for some reason.

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
bum2
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Sat Nov 18, 2017 7:30 pm    Post subject:

Best PG of his generation but not good enough to be the best player on a title winning team.

Would have loved to see him play the point with Dirk or Duncan...coached by Pop or Carlisle.
activeverb
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Nov 18, 2017 9:09 pm    Post subject:

slavavov wrote:
activeverb wrote:
ringfinger wrote:

When a great player wins a ring while still playing at that same level it fully validates all of their talent and skills, and that they are now a made man. John Elway and Kevin Garnett come to mind.

I am not sure what "made man" means in this context. For Kevin Garnett, it was a nice checklist item that eliminated the Charles Barkley "he never won a ring" criticism, but as I said I don't think the ring materially changed Garnett's reputation.

I mean, if you saw Garnett differently after he won a ring, cool but I can't say I did.
slavavov
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Nov 19, 2017 12:13 am    Post subject:

activeverb wrote:
slavavov wrote:
activeverb wrote:
ringfinger wrote:

I am not sure what "made man" means in this context. For Kevin Garnett, it was a nice checklist item that eliminated the Charles Barkley "he never won a ring" criticism, but as I said I don't think the ring materially changed Garnett's reputation.

I mean, if you saw Garnett differently after he won a ring, cool but I can't say I did.

When a great player has been around for a while and has lost championship opportunities, they tend to be seen as lacking something intangible. Winning a ring proves those pundits wrong. Seems like more and more people these days think rings don't matter when looking at a player's legacy (see Lebron James), but I think they do because why else do you play?

Take John Elway. Even though he had that memorable drive in the AFC championship game one year, he lost 3 Super Bowls and was thought to be a loser. Then he won a Super Bowl against Favre and suddenly he was seen as one of the greatest QBs and clutch performers in NFL history.

At the end of the day the proof is in the pudding.
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Nov 19, 2017 9:25 am    Post subject:

At the end of the day there is no proof, just biased opinion. Using team success to rate an individual is pretty dumb. So if Paul had been in the Spurs and won a title he would have been a better player? Despite being the exact same player? I realize people need some tipping point to say that my guy is better than your guy but why not use their play?
Omar Little

PostPosted: Sun Nov 19, 2017 1:17 pm    Post subject:

venturalakersfan wrote:
At the end of the day there is no proof, just biased opinion. Using team success to rate an individual is pretty dumb. So if Paul had been in the Spurs and won a title he would have been a better player? Despite being the exact same player? I realize people need some tipping point to say that my guy is better than your guy but why not use their play?

I get your point, although he probably would be a better player on the spurs...
numero-ocho
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Nov 19, 2017 1:45 pm    Post subject:

You don't need rings or even playoff success to get into the HoF anymore.
Dreamshake
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Nov 19, 2017 2:08 pm    Post subject:

slavavov wrote:
activeverb wrote:
slavavov wrote:
activeverb wrote:
ringfinger wrote:

When a great player has been around for a while and has lost championship opportunities, they tend to be seen as lacking something intangible. Winning a ring proves those pundits wrong. Seems like more and more people these days think rings don't matter when looking at a player's legacy (see Lebron James), but I think they do because why else do you play?

Take John Elway. Even though he had that memorable drive in the AFC championship game one year, he lost 3 Super Bowls and was thought to be a loser. Then he won a Super Bowl against Favre and suddenly he was seen as one of the greatest QBs and clutch performers in NFL history.

Elway was always seen as clutch, based on the stuff he did to get teams to the SB that had no business there. Everyone knew how outmatched he was in those games. Folks applauded his efforts to even get there in the first place.

Winning did change the perception for Dirk though. Hakeem too.
Wilkes52
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Nov 19, 2017 3:43 pm    Post subject:

His legacy is not defined yet. Happy to wait until he completes his career to comment further.

Kareem Abdul-Jabbar
VegasLakerFan
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Nov 19, 2017 6:05 pm    Post subject:

He's probably not really going to have one. He'll be largely forgotten, except by true NBA dorks (the kinds with Clyde Drexler or Kevin Johnson avatars) and Laker fans still bitter about 2011. ::raises hand::
activeverb
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Nov 20, 2017 11:17 am    Post subject:

slavavov wrote:
activeverb wrote:
slavavov wrote:
activeverb wrote:
ringfinger wrote:

I don't think it's worthwhile to compare NBA and NFL players since the games are so different, and one player doesn't make as much of a difference in the NFL so even for the greatest guys winning just one ring is a big deal.

So I won't get into the Elway comparisons.

Certainly, in the NBA, there are guys whose reputations are elevated significantly by winning one ring, notably Dirk, but that's rare.
Laker's Fan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Nov 20, 2017 3:58 pm    Post subject:

Omar Little wrote:
Paul is a very good player and a competitor, and he's a marketable star, so he's going to end up in the short term as an overrated player. Prime against prime, I'd rather have deron Williams or Tony Parker, both of whom gave him trouble in the playoffs, and neither of whom is on anyone's top five list.

Peak Paul was in the convo for best player in the game (year Kobe won MVP). Don't recall either DW or Parker hitting that airspace. Plus, Paul has been a great 2-way player for many years.

My biggest gripe with Paul is that he has always been so ball dominant his teams have lived and died with his ability to be great (and not injured). That's why this year is so intriguing. You could make the case he should have given up more control to Blake but this is Harden's team.
unleasHell
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Nov 20, 2017 6:36 pm    Post subject:

Right up there with Dwight Howard, except Howard at least made it to the finals...!
ringfinger
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Nov 20, 2017 6:45 pm    Post subject:

activeverb wrote:
ringfinger wrote:

I think it depends. If the player beats all odds as the #1 guy, I think it can. Example of that is Dirk.

But if you're older and no longer the guy, or, play on a team that was a favorite to win anyway, I think yeah, it doesn't change it THAT much.
VegasLakerFan
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Nov 20, 2017 7:01 pm    Post subject:

ringfinger wrote:
activeverb wrote:
ringfinger wrote:

I think it depends. If the player beats all odds as the #1 guy, I think it can. Example of that is Dirk.

But if you're older and no longer the guy, or, play on a team that was a favorite to win anyway, I think yeah, it doesn't change it THAT much.

Switching teams is what'll screw up Paul's legacy more than anything.

If he'd been able to stick it out in New Orleans and find a way to sneak a title like Dirk did I think he'd be an absolute legend.

Even if they didn't win a 'chip I think a 20 year career there (or however long he plays) would've helped him. As it stands I don't think he'll be remembered. More people will remember Steve Nash.
activeverb
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Nov 20, 2017 7:21 pm    Post subject:

ringfinger wrote:
activeverb wrote:
ringfinger wrote:

In this discussion, I realized everyone is giving the example of Dirk, but no one else.

But when I thought about it, I realized the number of superstars who won a single ring is really small --Bob Pettit, Rick Barry, Moses Malone, Jerry West, Wes Unseld, Elvin Hayes, and Kevin Garnett. That's about all I can think of.

And with most of those guys we can debate if they were even the #1 guy on their teams when they won. Hayes and Unseld won theirs together; West had Wilt; KG had Pierce; Moses had Dr. J (who I don't include because he also won an ABA ring).

So it's a really small universe of superstars with only one ring. And other than Dirk, I am not sure if the ring significantly changed any of their reputations
lakersken80
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Nov 20, 2017 7:39 pm    Post subject:

The Clippers MVP....man the Clippers are horrible without him and the Rockets are on top of the western conference.
activeverb
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Nov 20, 2017 9:21 pm    Post subject:

VegasLakerFan wrote:
ringfinger wrote:
activeverb wrote:
ringfinger wrote:

If he'd been able to stick it out in New Orleans and find a way to sneak a title like Dirk did I think he'd be an absolute legend.

Even if they didn't win a 'chip I think a 20 year career there (or however long he plays) would've helped him. As it stands I don't think he'll be remembered. More people will remember Steve Nash.

I don't think too many people care if players switch teams. Most of the guys in the Hall played on multiple teams and switching is becoming even more common. I think the one team player is becoming a thing of the past, when players had less freedom to move around.
VegasLakerFan
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Nov 20, 2017 10:41 pm    Post subject:

activeverb wrote:
VegasLakerFan wrote:
ringfinger wrote:
activeverb wrote:
ringfinger wrote:

I don't think too many people care if players switch teams.

Yeah I doubt anyone really cares that he switched teams. I think it'll affect his legacy, though. He's not good enough to be a transcendent one-word player (Kobe, Michael, Magic, Bird, LeBron, etc.) and now he most likely won't be identified with a team or city, either.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> General Basketball Discussion All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3
Jump to: