Team Has No Identity
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
activeverb
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Nov 24, 2017 9:53 pm    Post subject:

Omar Little wrote:
activeverb wrote:
MJST wrote:

Two seasons in we have no offensive identity.

Frankly I'm surprised that surprises anyone. We have a rookie point guard who can't shoot; a second year SF who is struggling to figure out the NBA; and a couple of rent-a-vets in our starting lineup. Did anyone really think this bucket of spare parts would start the season as a cohesive unit?

Yes, many people did. Because culture.

Also because the summer league was so good. A lot of people thought Ball would roll into the league as an immediate all-star; if that had actually happened, I don't think people would be talking about the lack of offensive identity
greenfrog
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Nov 24, 2017 11:18 pm    Post subject:

activeverb wrote:
Omar Little wrote:
activeverb wrote:
MJST wrote:

Frankly I'm surprised that surprises anyone. We have a rookie point guard who can't shoot; a second year SF who is struggling to figure out the NBA; and a couple of rent-a-vets in our starting lineup. Did anyone really think this bucket of spare parts would start the season as a cohesive unit?

Also because the summer league was so good. A lot of people thought Ball would roll into the league as an immediate all-star; if that had actually happened, I don't think people would be talking about the lack of offensive identity

The lack of shooters cut off any chance of a "Lonzo effect" at the knees.
activeverb
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Nov 25, 2017 8:22 am    Post subject:

greenfrog wrote:
activeverb wrote:
Omar Little wrote:
activeverb wrote:
MJST wrote:

The lack of shooters cut off any chance of a "Lonzo effect" at the knees.

So did NBA level competition. But he's an NBA rookie with a lot of holes in his game so it's not surprising if he takes a few years.
unleasHell
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Nov 25, 2017 8:33 am    Post subject:

I like Ball and agree that the expectations for him were/are un-realistically high.

Given some time he will be fine.

If course playing with upper-tier players (who can make more than 40% of their FG's) such as a Lebron or PG would make him look oh-so much better!
Wilkes52
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Nov 25, 2017 8:40 am    Post subject:

Well, many of us who'd watched Lonzo a great deal in his UCLA campaign saw what he did well and what he didn't do well.

His limitations seemed to have been - at that time - primarily about his half court game. He had a lack of a first step capable of driving past good college guards. But his counter was a good three point shot.

His bests skills were threefold: 1) his defensive rebounding; 2) his special ability to pass quickly ahead with snap and accuracy to Bruin scorers who'd leaked out early; 3) his three point shooting in transition.

Two of those skills have been initially degraded or diluted in the NBA. Gonna need time to tell whether his perimeter shooting accuracy can return and whether he can amp up his half court driving game. The transition scoring game can improve somewhat on its own I think; we have the horses to finish at the rim and need to find or develop a killer sharpshooter to complement.

Kareem Abdul-Jabbar
Mike@LG

PostPosted: Sat Nov 25, 2017 1:45 pm    Post subject:

ringfinger wrote:
Mike@LG wrote:
^I don't know man.

The Lakers are among the league leaders in points in the paint. I think that's a big deal for a team that can't shoot.

I'd have to imagine, though I haven't seen the stats, that most poor shooting teams are going to get theirs in the paint.

I mean if we were the worst outside shooting team and the worst in the paint scoring team, we'd be posting 70 PPG or something.

You would think that it would be the opposite. Shooters open up the floor.

I'll put it this way. For a team that lost its 3 best shooters, overall team FG% is the same as it was last year. One could easily expect that to plummet, but it didn't.

https://lakersdraft.substack.com/

I am not an economic advisor nor do I advise economic strategies or plans.
activeverb
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Nov 25, 2017 3:48 pm    Post subject:

Mike@LG wrote:
ringfinger wrote:
Mike@LG wrote:
^I don't know man.

The Lakers are among the league leaders in points in the paint. I think that's a big deal for a team that can't shoot.

I'd have to imagine, though I haven't seen the stats, that most poor shooting teams are going to get theirs in the paint.

I mean if we were the worst outside shooting team and the worst in the paint scoring team, we'd be posting 70 PPG or something.

I'll put it this way. For a team that lost its 3 best shooters, overall team FG% is the same as it was last year. One could easily expect that to plummet, but it didn't.

Keep in mind we were a crappy offensive team last year also.

We were a bad three point shooting team last year -- in the bottom third of the league.

The difference is this year we added some guys who are better at getting to the rim and Randle has improved in that area which has offset going from a bad 3-point shooting team to a terrible 3-point shooting team.
Mike@LG

PostPosted: Sat Nov 25, 2017 4:44 pm    Post subject:

activeverb wrote:
Mike@LG wrote:
ringfinger wrote:
Mike@LG wrote:
^I don't know man.

Keep in mind we were a crappy offensive team last year also.

We were a bad three point shooting team last year -- in the bottom third of the league.

The difference is this year we added some guys who are better at getting to the rim and Randle has improved in that area which has offset going from a bad 3-point shooting team to a terrible 3-point shooting team.

The Lakers have also been using play types that facilitate to slashing.

Team 3 point % dropped by 10%. Team FG% is even. You'd think every team would just sag in the paint anyway and deter shots, yet, it hasn't lowered FG%.

https://lakersdraft.substack.com/

I am not an economic advisor nor do I advise economic strategies or plans.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3
Jump to: