Defense and our Free Agency Chances

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
King Nupe
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Sat Nov 25, 2017 11:09 am    Post subject: Defense and our Free Agency Chances

Hello everyone. I rarely post here, but I wanted to ask the forum a question. Although we aren't very good offensively, do you think Magic will use our Top 5 ranked Defense as a selling point to PG, LBJ and DMC?

If we picked up 2 of them, LBJ and DMC with our already top defense, our offense would automatically vault to top 5. Our defense will be even better assuming we can convince LBJ and DMC to take haircuts (25M each) , we could keep Randle and maybe KCP. That's the type of team that can beat the warriors and their deep bench. What do you all think?

You sell LeBron on the defense and the Youth and younger legs...
adkindo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Nov 25, 2017 11:22 am    Post subject: Re: Defense and our Free Agency Chances

King Nupe wrote:
Hello everyone. I rarely post here, but I wanted to ask the forum a question. Although we aren't very good offensively, do you think Magic will use our Top 5 ranked Defense as a selling point to PG, LBJ and DMC?

If we picked up 2 of them, LBJ and DMC with our already top defense, our offense would automatically vault to top 5. Our defense will be even better assuming we can convince LBJ and DMC to take haircuts (25M each) , we could keep Randle and maybe KCP. That's the type of team that can beat the warriors and their deep bench. What do you all think?

not sure how your keeping KCP and Randle even if they took those pay cuts (which are extremely unlikely in my opinion). Also, Lebron and Cousins do not give great effort on defense now.....likely that will only decrease as they age.
DShotMaker1824
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Nov 25, 2017 11:45 am    Post subject:

How about no to LeBron...

"Through the legs to the left, through the legs to the right, we don't run them Laker plays, we just Kobe fadeaway..."
activeverb
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Nov 25, 2017 12:00 pm    Post subject: Re: Defense and our Free Agency Chances

King Nupe wrote:

1st, we'll have to see where our defense is at the end of the year. It's only 19 games in and a lot can happen.

2nd, it's unlikely that we'll sign two free agents and keep KCP and Lopez, who have arguably been the biggest reasons for our good defense.

3rd, I don't know that Lebron will opt out of a $35 million deal to sign for $25 million. Also, a lot can happen in terms of opening up cap space over the next six months.

Anyway, I am not sure if free agents are going to buy the "Hey we have a great defense and you'll make it a great offense" line but I am sure Magic will throw that in if our defense holds. I think the real selling point is going to be how Ball, Ingram and Kuz are playing by the end of the season.
Inspector Gadget
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Nov 25, 2017 12:03 pm    Post subject:

diando wrote:

Yeah., say no to a guy who is having his best season despite the fact that he’s 33... now I see why we are so hated.
activeverb
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Nov 25, 2017 12:14 pm    Post subject: Re: Defense and our Free Agency Chances

adkindo wrote:
King Nupe wrote:

not sure how your keeping KCP and Randle even if they took those pay cuts (which are extremely unlikely in my opinion). Also, Lebron and Cousins do not give great effort on defense now.....likely that will only decrease as they age.

Yeah -- I see Randle and KCP going for the biggest deals they can get. I see them each wanting at least $15 million, but it's anyone's guess how much they'll be offered. But unless the market falls apart for him, we don't keep KCP and get two top free agents. Randle is more likely to keep because we have his bird rights, but it will depend on what other moves we make to clear space.

Cousins has been playing pretty good defense, but Lebron tends to save himself on defense until the playoffs when he ramps it up.

Anyway, I see Lebron as a long shot. Cousins and George make more sense. But there is a lot of season to go and a lot can happen.
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Nov 25, 2017 12:48 pm    Post subject:

I am sure that Magic will sell our defense, offense and youth to potential FAs. I am also sure that those potential FAs have a good understanding of who they would be playing with and who will likely be gone. And the future salary constraints if we add more than one FA. It won’t be an easy sell, we are a couple of seasons away from being in the mix of contention.
Inspector Gadget
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Nov 25, 2017 12:55 pm    Post subject:

venturalakersfan wrote:
I am sure that Magic will sell our defense, offense and youth to potential FAs. I am also sure that those potential FAs have a good understanding of who they would be playing with and who will likely be gone. And the future salary constraints if we add more than one FA. It won’t be an easy sell, we are a couple of seasons away from being in the mix of contention.

We can always count on you to bring the Lakers down
SGVL1
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Sat Nov 25, 2017 1:00 pm    Post subject:

Inspector Gadget wrote:
venturalakersfan wrote:

Or hit everyone with a dose of reality.....
Inspector Gadget
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Nov 25, 2017 1:01 pm    Post subject:

SGVL1 wrote:
Inspector Gadget wrote:
venturalakersfan wrote:

Or hit everyone with a dose of reality.....

adkindo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Nov 25, 2017 1:04 pm    Post subject:

Inspector Gadget wrote:
venturalakersfan wrote:

"contending in a couple seasons" brings you down? Many would claim that is optimistic.
Inspector Gadget
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Nov 25, 2017 1:13 pm    Post subject:

adkindo wrote:
Inspector Gadget wrote:
venturalakersfan wrote:

"contending in a couple seasons" brings you down? Many would claim that is optimistic.

Oh please, I have been closely looking at his posts regarding the team/FO, he hasn’t been speaking highly of the FO capabilities like he has in the past, he doesn’t seem to like the team and even argued that we were tanking even though that would result in Boston/Phillly getting a top pick. His optimism regarding this team and FO has been fairly poor.
Fortysixn2
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Nov 25, 2017 3:35 pm    Post subject:

No LBJ, no PG13

Cousins and Bradley should be the goal.

KCP needs to leave, Brook too, JC should be traded, Deng Stretched.

Randle has made a fan out of me this season. I HATED dude up until he got benched, now he's playing defense and playing more team D...I'm down with Randle if he will accept a JC like contract and come off the bench for us. If he still thinks he's gonna be the next Lebron James, then he probably needs to be dumped before the deadline too.
Pidge
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Sat Nov 25, 2017 3:46 pm    Post subject:

QO to Randle. Try for Bradley, Len/Noel/Cousins and pray for PG. Pick up some vets (Wade, West) based on success on that front.

Trade away or stretch Deng, but do not sell the farm.

As for Lebron, we'd be more part of his long-term business plans than he'd be part of our short-term 'winning something' plans.
Boldarblood
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Sat Nov 25, 2017 3:53 pm    Post subject:

I highly doubt we get any max free agents, there is very little motivation to come here (yet). Realistically we are a below average team with a lot of holes. Max Free Agents do not come to teams in the Lakers position. We do have some up and coming young players, but they are not proven. Also if you listen to the average fan calling Ball a Bust, Randle a Bust, Ingram has been a bust a few times, Clarkson is a black hole, etc. (The only one I feel that way is Clarkson, I am not a fan of him). If our own fans feel this way, how the hell you going to sell that on any max free agents. To many people with there head in the clouds. We are still 2-4 years away from being a competitive team.
DShotMaker1824
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Nov 25, 2017 7:54 pm    Post subject:

Inspector Gadget wrote:
diando wrote:

Yeah., say no to a guy who is having his best season despite the fact that he’s 33... now I see why we are so hated.

Yes, let LeBron and his fans stay in the East.

"Through the legs to the left, through the legs to the right, we don't run them Laker plays, we just Kobe fadeaway..."
King Nupe
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Sat Nov 25, 2017 8:21 pm    Post subject:

Well if LeBron wants to win and beat the warriors, he will have to take a pay cut no matter where he goes. At this point he needs to following things:

1. A team with a deep bench
2. A Top 5 defense
3. Another two way player
4. Winning culture
5. Young legs

We have:
1. A deep bench with Kuzma, Randle, Hart, Nance and the vet minimums that chase LeBron
2. A Top 5 defense
3. Possibly PG13 or DMC
4. Magic and our history
5. 5 players under 25

LeBron automatically makes you top 5 in offense. PG13 with LeBron would guarantee our Offense and Defense remains elite.

You beat the warriors with top defense, young legs and a deep bench who can match up with their bench. This year gives our guys a year to prove themselves of playing championship quality defense. LeBron will bring the championship quality offense with PG13.

If they both take 25M each, we can keep Randle and he will be able to matchup with Draymond in their Death lineup.

Ball
PG13
Ingram
Bron
Randle

Hart
Vet
Kuzma
Nance
Zubac
fontana3d
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Nov 25, 2017 8:45 pm    Post subject:

King Nupe wrote:
Well if LeBron wants to win and beat the warriors, he will have to take a pay cut no matter where he goes. At this point he needs to following things:

2. A Top 5 defense
4. Winning culture
5. Young legs

We have:
1. A deep bench with Kuzma, Randle, Hart, Nance and the vet minimums that chase LeBron
2. A Top 5 defense
3. Possibly PG13 or DMC
4. Magic and our history
5. 5 players under 25

LeBron automatically makes you top 5 in offense. PG13 with LeBron would guarantee our Offense and Defense remains elite.

You beat the warriors with top defense, young legs and a deep bench who can match up with their bench. This year gives our guys a year to prove themselves of playing championship quality defense. LeBron will bring the championship quality offense with PG13.

If they both take 25M each, we can keep Randle and he will be able to matchup with Draymond in their Death lineup.

Ball
PG13
Ingram
Bron
Randle

Hart
Vet
Kuzma
Nance
Zubac

If not Randle is a goner to.
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Nov 25, 2017 10:14 pm    Post subject:

King Nupe wrote:

2. A Top 5 defense
4. Winning culture
5. Young legs

We have:
2. A Top 5 defense
3. Possibly PG13 or DMC
4. Magic and our history
5. 5 players under 25

Ball
PG13
Ingram
Bron
Randle

Hart
Vet
Kuzma
Nance
Zubac

Why would Lebron have to take a pay cut in Cleveland?
unleasHell
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Nov 25, 2017 11:11 pm    Post subject:

Magic is gonna 'sell" everything he can to potential FA's.

Defense, Offense, the Coach, the Lakers winning tradition, the beach, the weather, Hollywood, movie stars, all the restaurants, cultural diversity, the music scene, Rams football, the Dodgers, the playboy mansion, the Goodyear blimp, whatever he can...
Mike@LG

PostPosted: Sat Nov 25, 2017 11:14 pm    Post subject:

Can't really sell defense if the Lakers choose to renounce key players.

I don't even think the Lakers become Top 5 in offense even if they land LeBron AND Cousins. Both guys are average 3-point shooters. Maybe they raise the teammates' percentages by 2%, but the Lakers are down 10% in 3-point efficiency compared to last season's team.

https://lakersdraft.substack.com/

I am not an economic advisor nor do I advise economic strategies or plans.
unleasHell
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Nov 25, 2017 11:18 pm    Post subject:

Mike@LG wrote:

I don't even think the Lakers become Top 5 in offense even if they land LeBron AND Cousins. Both guys are average 3-point shooters. Maybe they raise the teammates' percentages by 2%, but the Lakers are down 10% in 3-point efficiency compared to last season's team.

Without looking, I'm pretty sure that losing Nick Young, Lou Williams and D. Russell and adding Zo's 14% 3pg% is the big difference there...!
Mike@LG

PostPosted: Sat Nov 25, 2017 11:20 pm    Post subject:

unleasHell wrote:
Mike@LG wrote:

Without looking, I'm pretty sure that losing Nick Young, Lou Williams and D. Russell and adding Zo's 14% 3pg% is the big difference there...!

It is. But it's frustrating that if LAL added LeBron and Boogie (for example), they're still a crap 3-point team.

This is a big reason why I want Paul George. You want to talk about strategic fit around Lonzo? 3-Ball, Iso, defense, closer, downhill in semi-transition.

https://lakersdraft.substack.com/

I am not an economic advisor nor do I advise economic strategies or plans.
Judah
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Nov 25, 2017 11:24 pm    Post subject:

You have to sell whatever you have that's attractive or semi-attractive to convince a player to sign with you. So yes, we can be certain that the strong defense will be a pretty big selling point in the pitch meetings. The biggest problem the Lakers had in free agency in recent years was the lack of an on court product to sell to free agents. With the way they're defending as a team and the young players looking as promising as they do, that's no longer the case.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: