Former No. 3 pick Jahlil Okafor is out of the rotation for the 76ers
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> General Basketball Discussion Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
GoldenThroat

PostPosted: Mon Nov 27, 2017 5:22 pm    Post subject:

ocho wrote:
JerryMagicKobe wrote:
Apparently the Sixers would be will to accept a second rounder for Jah.
No takers yet...

Everyone gambling on the buyout.

They really should let the kid go.

Not a good look for Philly amongst players around the league, I'd imagine.
unleasHell
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Nov 27, 2017 6:11 pm    Post subject:

ABOUT ALL I WOULD be willing to give up for Okafor is any Deng & Bogut
activeverb
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Nov 27, 2017 10:21 pm    Post subject:

GoldenThroat wrote:
ocho wrote:
JerryMagicKobe wrote:
No takers yet...

I don't think that matters, really. Players will go there if they like their teammates and situation.

I have mixed feelings about what they're doing with Okafor. They're hanging him out to dry but they did invest a #3 pick in him and they've paid him $15 million so I understand why they want to get something for him,
tox
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Nov 28, 2017 1:13 am    Post subject:

activeverb wrote:
GoldenThroat wrote:
ocho wrote:
JerryMagicKobe wrote:
No takers yet...

I don't think that matters, really. Players will go there if they like their teammates and situation.

I have mixed feelings about what they're doing with Okafor. They're hanging him out to dry but they did invest a #3 pick in him and they've paid him $15 million so I understand why they want to get something for him,

His effort is also pitiful so it's hard to be too sympathetic.
GoldenThroat

PostPosted: Tue Nov 28, 2017 7:25 am    Post subject:

tox wrote:
activeverb wrote:
GoldenThroat wrote:
ocho wrote:
JerryMagicKobe wrote:
No takers yet...

His effort is also pitiful so it's hard to be too sympathetic.

I've just seen a lot of #FreeJah tweets from NBA players. I don't think they're looking at his effort. I think they see a talented guy that isn't being given a chance to play. Not saying it'll cost them in Free Agency or anything, I just don't think the Sixers look good in this situation.
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Nov 28, 2017 7:27 am    Post subject:

You also have Noel who was left to dry (some of it his own fault). Heard rumblings that some of the guys who signed basically 4 year minimum deals felt a bit unhappy (even though they agreed to the deal).

Yet, I do think we may see some quality FAs flock to Philly to join that talented young core.

I mean we sort of did Pau dirty, have not let Deng step back on the court, traded Moz out 1 year into a 4 year deal, etc., yet we think the top FAs will flock to us too.
Baron Von Humongous
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Nov 28, 2017 8:03 am    Post subject:

The #FreeJah thing is ridiculous. He's a fringe NBA player. I'm going to get #FreeSauce trending until the Sixers play or trade Nik Stauskas.
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Nov 28, 2017 8:07 am    Post subject:

Baron Von Humongous wrote:
The #FreeJah thing is ridiculous. He's a fringe NBA player. I'm going to get #FreeSauce trending until the Sixers play or trade Nik Stauskas.

Yeah. He would be on the floor if he cared about defense, or if his motor was running at all. I mean Embiid didn't play for 2 seasons and played 30 games last year. Plenty of chances to grab at worst, the backup center spot.
GoldenThroat

PostPosted: Tue Nov 28, 2017 8:21 am    Post subject:

Bro, you don't have to convince me.

I'm just saying to other NBA players that's how it looks, fair or unfair. I think the Sixers would get more of a benefit from "doing right by him" than what they're doing now.
activeverb
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Nov 28, 2017 8:50 am    Post subject:

GoldenThroat wrote:

I'm just saying to other NBA players that's how it looks, fair or unfair. I think the Sixers would get more of a benefit from "doing right by him" than what they're doing now.

Again, I don't think that matters all that much. NBA players realize the teams are going to act in their own self-interest, just as players will act in their own self-interest. I don't see that cutting him today will get them anything that they won't have if they wait till the trade deadline to see if they can get a second round pick for him

A free agent who signs with the 76ers will go there because of the guaranteed contract, and the chance to play with Embiid and Simmons. They aren't going there because they think the 76ers organization is heaven on earth.
GoldenThroat

PostPosted: Tue Nov 28, 2017 9:04 am    Post subject:

activeverb wrote:
GoldenThroat wrote:

Again, I don't think that matters all that much. NBA players realize the teams are going to act in their own self-interest, just as players will act in their own self-interest. I don't see that cutting him today will get them anything that they won't have if they wait till the trade deadline to see if they can get a second round pick for him

A free agent who signs with the 76ers will go there because of the guaranteed contract, and the chance to play with Embiid and Simmons. They aren't going there because they think the 76ers organization is heaven on earth.

I'm not arguing otherwise, I agree.
adkindo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Nov 28, 2017 9:42 am    Post subject:

GoldenThroat wrote:

I agree the optics are clearly not in favor of the 76'ers organization. Right now the narrative is a questionable front office (Bryan Colangelo) has a young skilled player that they no longer will play, do not plan on retaining, and would simply rather have him rot on the bench until his contract reaches it's term instead of allowing him to have a chance to prove himself somewhere else. This comes on the heels of the player returning this season lighter and in the best shape of his career. Right or wrong, that is how it is shaping up.
activeverb
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Nov 28, 2017 10:39 am    Post subject:

GoldenThroat wrote:
activeverb wrote:
GoldenThroat wrote:

I'm not arguing otherwise, I agree.

Got it!

Yeah, it seems like players and teams are screwing each other all the time these days. The pretense of loyalty on the part of either players or teams, which I always consider hypocritical, has pretty much disappeared.

Teams might have loyalty to a particular superstar, a la Dirk, if that continues to suit everyone. But when it doesn't you eat a messy situation like Wade at Miami.
saetarubia
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Dec 07, 2017 3:09 pm    Post subject:

Zach Lowe‏
@ZachLowe_NBA

Quote:
The Sixers are nearing a deal to send Jahlil Okafor to Brooklyn, league sources tell ESPN.

Quote:

Philly will send Okafor, Nik Stauskas, and a second-round pick to Brooklyn for Trevor Booker, sources say

Quote:
@wojespn

Deal includes Sixers sending a 2019 second- round pick via Knicks to Nets, league source says.

Baron Von Humongous
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Dec 07, 2017 3:46 pm    Post subject:

Both hashtags worked!
rwongega
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Dec 07, 2017 4:35 pm    Post subject:

saetarubia wrote:
Zach Lowe‏
@ZachLowe_NBA

Quote:
The Sixers are nearing a deal to send Jahlil Okafor to Brooklyn, league sources tell ESPN.

Quote:

Philly will send Okafor, Nik Stauskas, and a second-round pick to Brooklyn for Trevor Booker, sources say

Quote:
@wojespn

Deal includes Sixers sending a 2019 second- round pick via Knicks to Nets, league source says.

Wow. So the Nets can get 2 of the top 3 picks in 2015 together on the floor plus a 2nd rounder for a veteran role player. And what a fleece.

RIP Jonathan Tang
RIP Alex Gruenberg

Free KBCB
activeverb
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Dec 07, 2017 5:37 pm    Post subject:

rwongega wrote:
saetarubia wrote:
Zach Lowe‏
@ZachLowe_NBA

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:
@wojespn

Wow. So the Nets can get 2 of the top 3 picks in 2015 together on the floor plus a 2nd rounder for a veteran role player. And what a fleece.

The Nets have always had a fondness for lottery busts. I think you'd be hard pressed to finds an NBA team that has suited up more underperforming overall #1 picks -- Anthony Bennett, Andrea Bargnani, Joe Smith, Joe Barry Carroll.

They themselves also drafted two #1 overall picks who, while not awful, never reached the heights (only one all-star appearance each) that you want from an overall #1 (Derek Coleman, Kenyon Martin)

There is a reason the Nets organization has the fourth worst winning pct in nba history.
petergr
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Dec 07, 2017 7:27 pm    Post subject:

[quote="activeverb"]
rwongega wrote:
saetarubia wrote:

The Nets have always had a fondness for lottery busts. I think you'd be hard pressed to finds an NBA team that has suited up more underperforming overall #1 picks -- Anthony Bennett, Andrea Bargnani, Joe Smith, Joe Barry Carroll.

They themselves also drafted two #1 overall picks who, while not awful, never reached the heights (only one all-star appearance each) that you want from an overall #1 (Derek Coleman, Kenyon Martin)

There is a reason the Nets organization has the fourth worst winning pct in nba history.

I don't think the organizational history is relevant here....the entire management is different now. With his 4th year declined, they are just getting a 4 month rental...they probably care more about the Knicks 2nd round pick.
activeverb
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Dec 07, 2017 7:59 pm    Post subject:

[quote="petergr"]
activeverb wrote:
rwongega wrote:
saetarubia wrote:

I don't think the organizational history is relevant here....the entire management is different now. With his 4th year declined, they are just getting a 4 month rental...they probably care more about the Knicks 2nd round pick.

Well, that "organizational history" I gave includes Anthony Bennett last year and Andrea Bargnani the year before, so it's not like I am referring to stuff that happened decades ago. They like taking flyers on lottery busts, probably because they have trouble attracting quality players. Okafor fits right into their pattern
Runway8
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Dec 07, 2017 8:08 pm    Post subject:

Since the Nets have done a wonderful job rebuilding the Celtics, I think it's good they're starting to focus on themselves. Without any picks, they are doing the right moves in acquiring some former high draft picks, and hoping a change of scenery will help.
ryan_c
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Dec 07, 2017 10:16 pm    Post subject:

Runway8 wrote:
Since the Nets have done a wonderful job rebuilding the Celtics, I think it's good they're starting to focus on themselves. Without any picks, they are doing the right moves in acquiring some former high draft picks, and hoping a change of scenery will help.

The future is bright for the nets. They have some picks. They can have a cornerstone of levert,okafor,russell and rhj. all of these are still very young. they have a young promising center with allen.

This Levert is also impressive.

https://twitter.com/620Nets/status/939007624866971656?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw&ref_url=https%3A%2F%2Fforums.realgm.com%2Fboards%2Fviewtopic.php%3Ft%3D1644995%26start%3D300
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> General Basketball Discussion All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
Page 4 of 4
Jump to: