OFFICIAL NCAA COLLEGE BASKETBALL (2017-18)
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> General Basketball Discussion Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
adkindo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Nov 26, 2017 9:46 pm    Post subject: OFFICIAL NCAA COLLEGE BASKETBALL (2017-18)

I looked for a college basketball thread, and could not find one?

Feeling good after my Mountaineers just came back from down 16 with less than 8 minutes left in the game to win the Advocare Invitational behind the best back court in America....Jevon Carter & Daxter Miles Jr.
adkindo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Nov 26, 2017 11:14 pm    Post subject:

My USC fan friends found out what WVU learned earlier this season....Texas A&M is a very good team...especially inside, and they are killers on the boards. They will be right there with Kentucky and Florida this year in the SEC.

We (WVU) was taking it too them early on during the first game of the season, played in Germany. Our shots were falling, and it looked like we were pretty much on cruise control. Then we went cold....and it was almost impossible to get a rebound on defense or offense. We got in foul trouble. They were getting what seemed like 2, 3, and 4 shots on every possession....and we could not score at all. In the end, they easily defeated us . Only way to beat them in my opinion is the ability to shoot a high % and keep them off the boards.

Nobody has been able to do it yet this season. They are looking like a Top 10 team right now.
Aeneas Hunter
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Nov 27, 2017 8:07 am    Post subject:

Yep. TAMU isn’t much of a basketball school, but they seem to put together a strong squad every few years. I don’t follow college basketball closely, but Duke looks beastly this year.
adkindo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Nov 27, 2017 9:14 am    Post subject:

Aeneas Hunter wrote:
Yep. TAMU isn’t much of a basketball school, but they seem to put together a strong squad every few years. I don’t follow college basketball closely, but Duke looks beastly this year.

Feels like A&M is finished with taking a back seat to the Longhorns in the revenue generating sports. I know they always claimed they didn't....but in reality they were always little brother. Starting to feel different.

Florida had Duke on the ropes last night, and let it slip away....but I agree that Duke is loaded with talent, and likely will improve as the year progresses.
adkindo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Nov 27, 2017 9:17 am    Post subject:

I have always followed KenPom (https://kenpom.com/)....always trusted KenPom much more than the rankings. That being said, how in the world is Arizona still ranked #17 in KenPom?
Aeneas Hunter
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Nov 28, 2017 5:23 pm    Post subject:

adkindo wrote:
Feels like A&M is finished with taking a back seat to the Longhorns in the revenue generating sports. I know they always claimed they didn't....but in reality they were always little brother. Starting to feel different.

As you might imagine, I have to endure a lot of that dynamic living down here. I don’t have a dog in that hunt, though I did go to law school at Texas. Still, the angry little brother stuff from the Aggies really gets old. Texas is sort of quietly arrogant, which is less annoying. Some of the imagery from TAMU can be pretty disturbing, too. Seeing conformity on such a vast scale can be unnerving.
Aeneas Hunter
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Nov 28, 2017 5:27 pm    Post subject:

adkindo wrote:
I have always followed KenPom (https://kenpom.com/)....always trusted KenPom much more than the rankings. That being said, how in the world is Arizona still ranked #17 in KenPom?

I don’t see much point in rankings when even mediocre teams from the power conferences are going to get dumped into a 68 team free for all at the end of the season. It would be much more interesting if the committee gave us a mid-season report — if the season ended today, here is how we would seed the tournament.
adkindo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Nov 28, 2017 9:08 pm    Post subject:

Aeneas Hunter wrote:
adkindo wrote:

I don’t see much point in rankings when even mediocre teams from the power conferences are going to get dumped into a 68 team free for all at the end of the season. It would be much more interesting if the committee gave us a mid-season report — if the season ended today, here is how we would seed the tournament.

I never understand ranking math. For example...in the initial poll, WVU was ranked #11 and lost their first game to Texas A&M (neutral court in Germany), and they dropped all the way to #24 the following week. Since then, they have won 6 straight games including the in season Advocare Invitational Tournament...and have climbed back to #19.

Compare that to...

USC started off the season ranked #10....won their first 4 games but slipped to #11. They lost their 5th game to that very same Texas A&M team...on their home court, and only slipped to #14.

A single loss to the same team cost WVU 13 spots, but only cost USC 3 spots?
Aeneas Hunter
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Nov 29, 2017 8:08 am    Post subject:

Yep. Teams bounce all over the place early in the season. A lot of the games are meaningless (Duke vs. Far Eastern Coastal Carolina of Bermuda, UCLA vs. Death Valley A&M). A lot of the other games are overhyped showcases. Heck, in this age of one and dones, a lot of the best players are still adjusting to the college game and being away from home.

So I agree with you, but I don’t give much attention to the polls. The #1 ranking is fodder for the media, but who really cares? What matters is seeding in the tournament. WVU will be judged by how it fares in the Big 12. I’ve seen a little of WVU this year, and they struck me as a 5 or 6 seed. We shall see.
adkindo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Nov 29, 2017 9:07 am    Post subject:

Aeneas Hunter wrote:
Yep. Teams bounce all over the place early in the season. A lot of the games are meaningless (Duke vs. Far Eastern Coastal Carolina of Bermuda, UCLA vs. Death Valley A&M). A lot of the other games are overhyped showcases. Heck, in this age of one and dones, a lot of the best players are still adjusting to the college game and being away from home.

So I agree with you, but I don’t give much attention to the polls. The #1 ranking is fodder for the media, but who really cares? What matters is seeding in the tournament. WVU will be judged by how it fares in the Big 12. I’ve seen a little of WVU this year, and they struck me as a 5 or 6 seed. We shall see.

They should/were expected to be a #2, #3 or at worst #4 Seed...challenge Kansas for the Big12....but they are not playing like a high seed. We are short one of our key players...he is ineligible until January. He will help, but our current shortcomings are more than he will solve. Hoping we improve....quickly. We have UVA and Pitt next week....if we can get through those games, we should be able to get to conference play with only 1 loss.

Also, have not figured out the Big12 this season. In recent seasons, I have thought it was not the best at the top.....but the best conference top to bottom.
Bard207
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Nov 29, 2017 10:05 am    Post subject:

adkindo wrote:
Aeneas Hunter wrote:
adkindo wrote:

I never understand ranking math. For example...in the initial poll, WVU was ranked #11 and lost their first game to Texas A&M (neutral court in Germany), and they dropped all the way to #24 the following week. Since then, they have won 6 straight games including the in season Advocare Invitational Tournament...and have climbed back to #19.

Compare that to...

USC started off the season ranked #10....won their first 4 games but slipped to #11. They lost their 5th game to that very same Texas A&M team...on their home court, and only slipped to #14.

A single loss to the same team cost WVU 13 spots, but only cost USC 3 spots?

Perhaps the methodology used to generate rankings for the initial poll/rankings morphed into something different a few weeks later as the season evolved.
Aeneas Hunter
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Nov 30, 2017 7:14 am    Post subject:

I watched a little of Duke-Indiana last night. It's always fun to see a crowd so pumped up. Anyway, I don't know what Coach K has done, but he definitely is showing Calapari who's boss when it comes to recruiting. Good heavens.
adkindo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Dec 04, 2017 9:20 pm    Post subject:

FSU goes to Gainesville and hammers what I thought was a very good Gators team
Aeneas Hunter
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Dec 05, 2017 7:09 am    Post subject:

I caught a few minutes of that game. Florida looked like a really talented team, but FSU was playing with a lot more intensity. I thought Florida would probably win. I didn’t check the final score until I saw your post. I was startled by how much of a blowout it became.
adkindo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Dec 05, 2017 8:18 pm    Post subject:

Big night for the Big12

-- WVU knocks off unbeaten #15 Virginia

-- Texas Tech knocks off unbeaten #22 Nevada

-- Shaka Smart takes his Texas team back to VCU for the win

-- TCU takes down SMU

-- Kansas State takes care of business for the win

a 5 - 0 night....Big12 is shaping up to be very deep again.
adkindo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Dec 05, 2017 8:24 pm    Post subject:

Big upsets of the night...

-- Ball State goes to South Bend and beats #9 Notre Dame

-- Arizona finally has a "good" win, knocking off unbeaten #7 Texas A&M

-- The Cornhuskers of Nebraska take out #14 Minnesota....in basketball!

***#6 Wichita State needed a big 2nd half comeback to defeat the South Dakota State Jackrabbits of the Summit League!
adkindo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Dec 06, 2017 7:56 pm    Post subject:

what a difference a decent coach can make....last year the Washington Huskies under Lorenzo Romar with these same guys and Fultz looked like a D2 team many nights....tonight, Mike Hopkins took the Huskies into Kansas City and beat #2 Kansas...
adkindo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Dec 06, 2017 7:58 pm    Post subject:

Aeneas Hunter wrote:
I caught a few minutes of that game. Florida looked like a really talented team, but FSU was playing with a lot more intensity. I thought Florida would probably win. I didn’t check the final score until I saw your post. I was startled by how much of a blowout it became.

they continue to crumble....losing @ home again tonight to Loyola-Chicago!
PHILosophize
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Dec 06, 2017 8:00 pm    Post subject:

Kansas...LOL
adkindo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Dec 06, 2017 9:16 pm    Post subject:

PHILosophize wrote:
Kansas...LOL

did you watch? Graham and Svi had terrible nights. If not for Vick, they would have been ran off the court.

I definitely think another (hint hint WVU) team can with the Big12 this season.
PHILosophize
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Dec 07, 2017 8:44 am    Post subject:

adkindo wrote:
PHILosophize wrote:
Kansas...LOL

did you watch? Graham and Svi had terrible nights. If not for Vick, they would have been ran off the court.

I definitely think another (hint hint WVU) team can with the Big12 this season.

I watched some but not the whole game. I went to UW though
adkindo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Dec 09, 2017 11:06 am    Post subject:

Boston College knocks off #1 Duke....their fist loss of the season.
adkindo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Dec 10, 2017 1:01 pm    Post subject:

#2 Kansas takes their 2nd straight loss in a row as the Home team....losing to #16 Arizona State.
adkindo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Dec 13, 2017 8:53 pm    Post subject:

worst part of college basketball season....teams often set their schedules up to be soft around Exam Finals, Winter Holiday, and preparing for conference play....not many Top 25 or even Top 50 match-ups.
adkindo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Dec 17, 2017 7:06 pm    Post subject:

I know there are a lot of UCLA fans in the forum, and I am here to tell you that you need to fire your coach! I was never in on the Fire Alford train a couple years ago, but after listening to him speak after the Cincy loss last night, I am convinced UCLA should have a better coach in the position.

In summary, he said UCLA played hard against Cincy, but Cincy is a really good team....and his group is much younger. That is bs you say when you coach Iowa State or South Carolina...not when you coach in Westwood @ a program that is considered college basketball royalty. Those statements and attitude have the ability to actually damage the brand. Duke is young....and they still win.....UK is young, and they still win....being young should not be an excuse for UCLA. UCLA should have a top 5 talent class every year, and that should result is being considered an annual contender. It looks more and more like he was fortunate to have Ball and Leaf for a season....but brings very little to the program.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> General Basketball Discussion All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3
Jump to: