LAKERS -at- CLIPPERS – 11-27-17 - Thoughts and :-(( Ratings
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Thoughts and Ratings Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
LakersPimp
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Nov 28, 2017 12:47 pm    Post subject:

venturalakersfan wrote:
DrDent wrote:
Don't understand luke not playing kuzma more; only 19 minutes. Just ridiculous, especially with how smooth he was shooting.

Luke's odd use of personnel is mind boggling at times.

Shooting is superficial
, playing the way the coach expects could be much deeper. Unfortunately, when Griffin was in the game we couldn’t have Kuz in and guarding him.

Really??? Maybe if you are someone who plays on the Warriors and makes shots due to their system and the gravity their players have that leaves an Ian Clark wide open..then he goes to another team and can't replicate that efficiency. But we have no players who garner that type of gravity...and they few we have...(Clarkson, Kuzma) Do not play as much as they should.

If Luke played the best 5 players the most minutes...and we lost...then we would figure we are just not good enough. But that doesn't happen. Thats where the frustration with his in-game coaching comes from.
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Nov 28, 2017 12:55 pm    Post subject:

What I mean is that it is easy for a fan to watch a game and evaluate makes and misses. What if Luke asks the team to swing the ball backside before taking a shot. A player sees an open shot and hits it and Luke yanks him. To fans it was a good shot, why did Luke overreact? When in the concept of team dynamics, it was a horrible shot. As fans we try to explain the ocean by looking at the waves. We have to realize that there is a lot going on that we have no clue about.
Richcbt
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Tue Nov 28, 2017 1:19 pm    Post subject:

DrDent wrote:
Fortysixn2 wrote:
So we hired the director of NBA Analytics to help with our own Analytics department, am I to understand that he has crunched the numbers and determined that starting Larry and cutting Kuzmas minutes in half is more beneficial to our team? You are telling ME that the numbers are telling THEM to play Corey Brewer and Bogut?

I know luke can't hit these guys' FT for them, they are professionals and have to perfect that on their own....and that's what pretty much cost us the game. But this awesome Larry Nance JR starting lineup netting 4 points in the first 6 minutes and dug us a hole...is anybody in the FO looking at any of this?

No way Analytics is telling Luke to do what he's doing, dude is kind of wack. I appreciate he has the guys playing D, but Kuzma's bad ass...if he can't take Larry's spot then he should take BI's. He's better than either of them.

I have to continue commenting on this game, and this post just continued to fuel similar frustration in me.

Let's look at what Luke decided to do: I'm gonna start Nance, Lopez, BI, KCP and Ball. I want to run a ball moving offense that has good spacing and and can hit the 3.

So going into the season the rationale was ok, with THAT starting lineup BI, Ball, Lopez, and KCP will all be deep threats.

Problem: Through 20 games only guy in that lineup around the NBA average is KCP, and he is streaky as heck. Lonzo - we know the story. Ingram's 3 has been below average, as has Brook's, and Nance's is non existent. Thus, no spacing. And of these guys I just listed only BI has a good game attacking the basket.

Conclusion: That lineup's offense is going to be *bad*. Deep ball isnt much of a threat and defense can collapse in to make life difficult for BI. In fact, most folks here in the LG game thread were predicting that as the game started. Didnt even require advanced analytics, just watching these guys play over 20 games to make the prediction.

Its like Luke wasnt even paying attention at all and decided "well, my plan was to have this lineup at the beginning of the season, and thats what it will be"...he refuses to change unless forced to. Refuses to see the obvious.

Now sitting on the bench you have one guy shooting at about a 47% overall clip and 35% from 3 in JC and another, Kyle Kuzma, who leads your team in scoring and 3 point percentage and hits almost half his shots despite the fact he is shooting from multiple ranges. So what does Luke do? JC plays barely over half the game, while Kuz plays like 40% of the game.

Huh?!

If they want to create more spacing then do it. Play Kuz with BI LIKE THEY WERE and it allows BI more opportunities to attack the basket and Kuz to just be Kuz. These two have shown they can split a decent offensive load.

As an additional note when JC is on fire...you ride him. It was bizzare what Luke did there. KCP had fizzled out by the 4th but let him shoot; while his hot offensive player JC once again was pulled. Luke just doesnt get it. That's what Doc did with Lou Williams - dude had it tonight so just rode him to the win.

SMH. So frustrating. Luke really needs to start holding himself much more accountable and being tougher on HIMSELF. I just dont see THAT starting lineup giving us much hope in the weeks ahead.

Good analysis, and I agree 100%. I have respect for Larry's game, but that starting unit has no spacing, as you say, and I see Kuzma as a starter, with Nance, Jr. as a reserve.
Wino
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Nov 28, 2017 8:19 pm    Post subject:

Agree with the no spacing comments above.

Honestly, Kuzma is the best rookie we have had since Kobe. If we had a ton of experience in front of him, I could see keeping his time down, even Kobe had limited minutes his first couple years.

But ......

...... we ONLY have Nance, Randle and BI in front of him. At the VERY least he should be splitting time with Randle and BI. We probably need to trade Randle or Nance.

We have to find a way to let Kuzma run with this offense. He is our best offensive player by more than a little. He needs to hone his skills, and not sit on the bench.
Lakers#1Team
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Nov 28, 2017 11:13 pm    Post subject:

Thanks DB!
Harlemlakerfan
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Nov 29, 2017 6:10 am    Post subject:

venturalakersfan wrote:
What I mean is that it is easy for a fan to watch a game and evaluate makes and misses. What if Luke asks the team to swing the ball backside before taking a shot. A player sees an open shot and hits it and Luke yanks him. To fans it was a good shot, why did Luke overreact? When in the concept of team dynamics, it was a horrible shot. As fans we try to explain the ocean by looking at the waves. We have to realize that there is a lot going on that we have no clue about.

Post of the year! Finally, somebody who gets it!
VicXLakers
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Nov 29, 2017 6:16 am    Post subject:

Harlemlakerfan wrote:
venturalakersfan wrote:

Post of the year! Finally, somebody who gets it!

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Thoughts and Ratings All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2
Jump to: