Lakers should encourage Lonzo to change shot now ?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
splashmtn
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Nov 28, 2017 9:35 am    Post subject:

troy wrote:
splashmtn wrote:
troy wrote:
You cannot change an NBA players shot mechanics. You can adjust, but Lonzo would require a complete overhaul. Not happening at the NBA level.

Magic doesn't care if Lonzo shoots poorly. The issue isn't his shooting. This issue with Lonzo is that he needs to be a playmaker, grab some offensive rebounds to keep things going, and lead this Lakers team. He may be failing on all levels, or at least it seems that way.
i can't playmake when guys wont make shots or guys dribble out my assists. there goes that stat.

i can't rebound, when all the bigs are trying to crash the board with me instead of leaking out and allowing me to get the def board to outlet the pass to them for a basket.

Zo can play much faster than the lakers are currently playing. But the lakers including luke has to buy in to that style of play. I'm not sure luke is going to do that since luke knows come play off time things slow down. But what we dont know is, can zo's real style of play be slowed in the playoffs? I dont think it would be. due to the fact its not quick hitter plays. or a bunch of pick and roll stuff. its rebound and kick. you can't stop that unless you run like crazy which will fatigue your bigs, or send multiple guys to crash the offensive glass which will leave you open for fastbreak baskets if you dont secure that board.

now back to this broken shot. again. its not just his shot. its his everything. he has ZERO touch when it comes to scoring. and this has happened all of a sudden. The one thing that worried me about zo was his FT% in college. He shot the ball too well from 3 to shoot that poorly from the ft line. when guys shoot poorly from the ft line that are guard which means they were not supposed to shoot that poorly. It usually means they have a mental road block when it comes to FT's. As cool as a guy lonzo seems to be. he has something going on upstairs that he hasnt figured out how to deal with. and now that bad FT mentality has leaked into every facet of his scoring.

I still believe that if Lonzo can do other things better, his confidence will increase and his shot will start to fall. He's often compared to Jason Kidd. Well, Kidd was not the best shooter (although he improved his 3-point proficiency), but he was a great rebounder and assist guy, and his defense was better than average.

Too much emphasis is being put on his ugly shot. That's not the issue wiht Lonzo. Magic Johnson has said many times that they want Lonzo to facilitate and lead; they aren't so much concerned about his scoring. Much like Raja Rondo, who is a horrible shooter but does other things, if Lonzo isn't offsetting the points he doesn't provide by making his players better, getting them the ball in the right spots, grabbing some rebounds, and playing some D, then what good is he?
and I'll say this. how can I set my teammates up when i have bigs trying to steal the rebound for stat purposes?

The entire team is better served. if our bigs boxed out allowed zo to get the rebound on the defensive end while they sprinted down court. we would play a lot faster and have more/easier scoring chances without having to go against the other teams 5 man set defense. but that means the bigs have to sacrifice their rebounds. lopez is cool with it. he doesnt like to grab boards anyway. lol. the other guys not so much. you mess with those stats you're messing with their money and people's view of who they are as bigs.

so this is one main point of playing fast and playing Zo's way to his strengths.

The other side of it is simple. I can set you up with a nice pass but if you dont make the shot. who cares. thats not my fault. its yours. but only people who watch the games will notice this. he needs better finishers and better shooters. or his current guys need to get better at finishing and shooting.

every great PG, has had at least one goto paint finisher person. and at least one to two Money shooters. we have neither.
activeverb
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Nov 28, 2017 11:00 am    Post subject:

troy wrote:
splashmtn wrote:
troy wrote:
You cannot change an NBA players shot mechanics. You can adjust, but Lonzo would require a complete overhaul. Not happening at the NBA level.

Magic doesn't care if Lonzo shoots poorly. The issue isn't his shooting. This issue with Lonzo is that he needs to be a playmaker, grab some offensive rebounds to keep things going, and lead this Lakers team. He may be failing on all levels, or at least it seems that way.
i can't playmake when guys wont make shots or guys dribble out my assists. there goes that stat.

i can't rebound, when all the bigs are trying to crash the board with me instead of leaking out and allowing me to get the def board to outlet the pass to them for a basket.

Zo can play much faster than the lakers are currently playing. But the lakers including luke has to buy in to that style of play. I'm not sure luke is going to do that since luke knows come play off time things slow down. But what we dont know is, can zo's real style of play be slowed in the playoffs? I dont think it would be. due to the fact its not quick hitter plays. or a bunch of pick and roll stuff. its rebound and kick. you can't stop that unless you run like crazy which will fatigue your bigs, or send multiple guys to crash the offensive glass which will leave you open for fastbreak baskets if you dont secure that board.

now back to this broken shot. again. its not just his shot. its his everything. he has ZERO touch when it comes to scoring. and this has happened all of a sudden. The one thing that worried me about zo was his FT% in college. He shot the ball too well from 3 to shoot that poorly from the ft line. when guys shoot poorly from the ft line that are guard which means they were not supposed to shoot that poorly. It usually means they have a mental road block when it comes to FT's. As cool as a guy lonzo seems to be. he has something going on upstairs that he hasnt figured out how to deal with. and now that bad FT mentality has leaked into every facet of his scoring.

I still believe that if Lonzo can do other things better, his confidence will increase and his shot will start to fall. He's often compared to Jason Kidd. Well, Kidd was not the best shooter (although he improved his 3-point proficiency), but he was a great rebounder and assist guy, and his defense was better than average.

Too much emphasis is being put on his ugly shot. That's not the issue wiht Lonzo. Magic Johnson has said many times that they want Lonzo to facilitate and lead; they aren't so much concerned about his scoring. Much like Raja Rondo, who is a horrible shooter but does other things, if Lonzo isn't offsetting the points he doesn't provide by making his players better, getting them the ball in the right spots, grabbing some rebounds, and playing some D, then what good is he?

I think the comparisons to Kidd don't really serve Lonzo well. They have many similarities, but Kidd was stronger, more adept at handling pressure and taking the ball at the defense.

Kidd is one of the best point guards of all time. What Ball will be is still an open question. I think he'll be a solid NBA player, but he's not a guaranteed all-star.
kikanga
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Nov 28, 2017 11:06 am    Post subject:

activeverb wrote:
I think the comparisons to Kidd don't really serve Lonzo well. They have many similarities, but Kidd was stronger, more adept at handling pressure and taking the ball at the defense.

Kidd is one of the best point guards of all time. What Ball will be is still an open question. I think he'll be a solid NBA player, but he's not a guaranteed all-star.

What do you think of Rondo as a comp?
chekmatex4
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Tue Nov 28, 2017 11:11 am    Post subject:

Let them work on his shot now but he needs to play more like Rondo from 2007-2009. No shots outside of 10-15 feet.
chekmatex4
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Tue Nov 28, 2017 11:12 am    Post subject:

kikanga wrote:
activeverb wrote:

I just posted that he needs to play more like Rondo until he develops a more consistent shot. Lonzo is a good defender and rebounder for his position and he can still get triple doubles if he is willing to take shots closer to the basket.

He can develop to be closer to Kidd once his shot develops and becomes more consistent from 3 point range.
iimarshon
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Nov 28, 2017 11:39 am    Post subject:

You can't change a shot mid season. Do it in the off season.

There's little things he can improve on though with his shot:

1. It seems like when he holds his follow through he has WAY better success. So many times he doesnt follow through.

2. His foot positioning is pretty off. Often times his balance seems bad and his feet are pointing in random directions and he lands weird too.'

I more so want to see im being aggressive with grabbing boards and I want to see him driving more - not to score but more so to pass. I dont know why we take the ball out of his hands so much. The ball should almost always be in Lonzo or Ingram's hands in my opinion.

Really stoked on his D.

I think he obviously needs to get stronger. You can tell hes not great with contact near the rim - similar to BI last year.
splashmtn
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Nov 28, 2017 2:56 pm    Post subject:

chekmatex4 wrote:
Let them work on his shot now but he needs to play more like Rondo from 2007-2009. No shots outside of 10-15 feet.
it doesnt matter. he's bricking those close ones too. he's missing them all. this is why i'm saying it doesnt have as much to do with his funny form as much as it is in his head.
ReaListik
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Nov 28, 2017 3:45 pm    Post subject:

Better off changing the shot now. He’s not making shots now and guys aren’t guarding him anyways so might as well.
Wino
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Nov 28, 2017 8:21 pm    Post subject:

Stumpy25 wrote:
Wino wrote:
defense wrote:
You don't change a shot mid season

Most of the time I would say that, but dang, Lonzo's shot is bad and his current shooting percentage is awful.

In reality, what could it hurt, moving on this now!??

I would wait for half the season to go by, if he is still shooting bricks by then, I say start the re education then.

Good luck with changing someone who's shot has been that way for years. Forcing him to do something different may turn out to be a disaster. He will end up being a confused mess. What you have to do is run plays for him and let him work withing those plays so that he can practice a systematic shot. I can tell you Lonzo will never shoot another way.

Lonzo's shot is already a disaster, it needs to change or he won't stick in the league.
activeverb
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Nov 28, 2017 8:53 pm    Post subject:

kikanga wrote:
activeverb wrote:

They have a lot of similarities, such as a predilection for driving and dishing, though I think Rondo had more athleticism, a quicker first step, and less fear about entering a crowded lane.

Right now, the best comparison for Lonzo is probably Ricky Rubio.
KeepItRealOrElse
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Nov 29, 2017 8:35 am    Post subject:

Change.it.now
You can't get any worse than 25%...

Ingram still needing 7+ months with our staff after starting to change his stroke - and still not shooting well... how long will Lonzo need? Change it now
troy
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Nov 29, 2017 10:22 am    Post subject:

activeverb wrote:
kikanga wrote:
activeverb wrote:

They have a lot of similarities, such as a predilection for driving and dishing, though I think Rondo had more athleticism, a quicker first step, and less fear about entering a crowded lane.

Goodness, no. Rubio is a shooter. Lonzo is a passer. Best comparison to Lonzo is Rondo.
troy
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Nov 29, 2017 10:35 am    Post subject:

Not understanding all this talk about changing Lonzo's shot.

Lonzo is a NBA professional and 2nd overall draft pick. He's already proven to be skilled. Changing your shot is something you ask of a high school player, not an NBA player.

Shawn Marion and Kevin Martin come to my mind as players that were successful offensively, but had horrible shot mechanics.

Lonzo just needs to get confident in his overall game. The shooting will fall into place.
activeverb
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Nov 29, 2017 10:36 am    Post subject:

troy wrote:
activeverb wrote:
kikanga wrote:
activeverb wrote:

Goodness, no. Rubio is a shooter. Lonzo is a passer. Best comparison to Lonzo is Rondo.

Not sure where you are getting this. Rubio's calling card has always been passing and defense. Google his name and phrases like ""possibly the best passer of the decade" come up. But a shooter? ... For his career, he's averaged 8.7 shots per game while shooting 38% from the field and 31% from the 3-point line.
Lucky_Shot
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Nov 29, 2017 11:11 am    Post subject:

troy wrote:

Lonzo is a NBA professional and 2nd overall draft pick. He's already proven to be skilled. Changing your shot is something you ask of a high school player, not an NBA player.

Shawn Marion and Kevin Martin come to my mind as players that were successful offensively, but had horrible shot mechanics.

Lonzo just needs to get confident in his overall game. The shooting will fall into place.

NBA players change and our asked to change their shot all the time. Hell LBJ changed his shot this year! https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ryklukqkSHY

Obviously Ball's shot will take more time to change but it's nothing that time can't fix but it isn't just his shooting stroke its all of his mechanics.

You don't have the worst FG% in the league without having numerous problems from mental to mechanics

He's still a ballar when it comes passing and defense though
splashmtn
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Nov 29, 2017 11:26 am    Post subject:

Lucky_Shot wrote:
troy wrote:

NBA players change and our asked to change their shot all the time. Hell LBJ changed his shot this year! https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ryklukqkSHY

Obviously Ball's shot will take more time to change but it's nothing that time can't fix but it isn't just his shooting stroke its all of his mechanics.

You don't have the worst FG% in the league without having numerous problems from mental to mechanics

but can we all agree. if by tomorrow I could magically fix his mechanics. we still know he would be blowing layups and missing tear drops and missing wide open jumpers Right? we all know to shoot this poorly from someone that has never been known for poor shooting is 100% mental right?

the changing of his shot would help increase his 3pt percentage and ft% by a few points. its not going to take him from 20% to 48%. the distance between 20% and 40% from 3pt is not mechanical. thats mental with this guy.
Lucky_Shot
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Nov 29, 2017 11:37 am    Post subject:

splashmtn wrote:
Lucky_Shot wrote:
troy wrote:

but can we all agree. if by tomorrow I could magically fix his mechanics. we still know he would be blowing layups and missing tear drops and missing wide open jumpers Right? we all know to shoot this poorly from someone that has never been known for poor shooting is 100% mental right?

the changing of his shot would help increase his 3pt percentage and ft% by a few points. its not going to take him from 20% to 48%. the distance between 20% and 40% from 3pt is not mechanical. thats mental with this guy.

A lot of it is mental no doubt but I still think most of his problems are mechanical in nature. From the way he shoots the ball and takes free throws to his lay ups and tear drops; he does't know the proper way to shoot or score.

know one who has prefect mechanics (shooting, lay ups, teardrops) would miss this much

and honestly I hope his problems are mechanical and not mental. It takes much more work to fix someone's mind than it does to change the way a person takes a shot.

Last edited by Lucky_Shot on Wed Nov 29, 2017 11:39 am; edited 1 time in total
AFireInside619
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Nov 29, 2017 11:38 am    Post subject:

Mason & Ireland seem to agree with him changing his shot now and compared him to Joc Pederson being sent to the minors in season to rework his swing. I still disagree, but it was interesting to see them both agree. They both also questioned Luke's lineups, which is weird since Ireland works for the Lakers. But that's for a different thread. Mason also gave GT's YouTube a shout out.
Snipes
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Nov 29, 2017 11:52 am    Post subject:

We've never had good shooters. Maybe it's time to find a new shooting coach. Ingram/Ball were good shooters in college..they look awful in the NBA.
troy
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Nov 29, 2017 12:04 pm    Post subject:

Lucky_Shot wrote:
troy wrote:

You're talking about tweaks to the shot, not changing the mechanics. No way Lonzo is ever going to be shooting jumpers with Kobe Bryant form.
troy
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Nov 29, 2017 12:12 pm    Post subject:

Lucky_Shot wrote:
splashmtn wrote:
Lucky_Shot wrote:
troy wrote:

A lot of it is mental no doubt but I still think most of his problems are mechanical in nature. From the way he shoots the ball and takes free throws to his lay ups and tear drops; he does't know the proper way to shoot or score.

know one who has prefect mechanics (shooting, lay ups, teardrops) would miss this much

and honestly I hope his problems are mechanical and not mental. It takes much more work to fix someone's mind than it does to change the way a person takes a shot.

So a NBA starter and overall number 2 pick has poor shooting mechanics? That's like saying a starting cleanup hitter for a Major League Baseball team doesn't know how to hold the bat.

Sorry, but Lonzo is NOT changing how his shot looks. He may adjust the arc or something, but that's about it.
Lucky_Shot
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Nov 29, 2017 1:07 pm    Post subject:

troy wrote:
So a NBA starter and overall number 2 pick has poor shooting mechanics? That's like saying a starting cleanup hitter for a Major League Baseball team doesn't know how to hold the bat.

Sorry, but Lonzo is NOT changing how his shot looks. He may adjust the arc or something, but that's about it.

So are you saying lonzo has good mechaincs... He does not

Why can't he change his shot? All I'm asking is for him to shoot the ball like how your taught from grade school and on. It's not like I'm asking him to change his religion or god.
LakersRGolden
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Nov 29, 2017 2:37 pm    Post subject:

Lucky_Shot wrote:
splashmtn wrote:
Lucky_Shot wrote:
troy wrote:

Well, one of the issues is how much time and how space the mechanics of his shot consume. It wasn't an issue in college, but it is in the NBA.

So, is knowing your mechanics makes your shot suck an issue of mechanics or mental? The FT % shows it's gotten into his head, but would fixing the mechanics allow him to let go of the mental block? I don't know. I'm of the opinion that if he's going to rework his shot he should get too it. Even if he doesn't bust it out in-game right now.
LakerLogic
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Nov 29, 2017 2:44 pm    Post subject:

He had better form as a freshman in high school.
splashmtn
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Nov 29, 2017 3:02 pm    Post subject:

Lucky_Shot wrote:
splashmtn wrote:
Lucky_Shot wrote:
troy wrote:

we all agree that if he had perfect mechanics he wouldnt brick this much. but then the bar would be raised "how can a guy with such great mechanics only shoot X %. "

the point i made was we all know that its 90% mental right now. if he had that part right. only a select few would be talking about his ugly shot needing to be corrected ASAP. people are using that as the reason why when it isnt. he's bricking because he's in his own head. the same reason he has missed Ft's all of his life. I should've known, when i saw that suspect ft% that he might have mental issues when it came to putting the ball in the basket. every single guard I have ever seen with a suspect ft% has mental issues when they get into a scoring slump. whatever concentration you need to make ft's you need it to get out of a slump.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 5 of 6
Jump to: