ESPN will lay off 100 on-air personalities today
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
gumby
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed May 03, 2017 3:57 pm    Post subject:

All I can think is that the next time these CBAs are being negotiated, either the revenue streams are finally diverted properly and working back at pre-cord cutting days or they will have to lower the pay for the rights. Thus these outrageous contracts will have to be tempered big time so there are less and less ridiculous signings. The money for these will not be there anymore.

Bye.
lakersken80
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed May 03, 2017 5:23 pm    Post subject:

gumby wrote:
All I can think is that the next time these CBAs are being negotiated, either the revenue streams are finally diverted properly and working back at pre-cord cutting days or they will have to lower the pay for the rights. Thus these outrageous contracts will have to be tempered big time so there are less and less ridiculous signings. The money for these will not be there anymore.

Bye.

They'll probably try to make it up by putting tons of ads on their jersey....It'll just be like NASCAR.
Inspector Gadget
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed May 03, 2017 6:02 pm    Post subject:

Letting go of Marc Stein is a horrible decision, the guy was well spoken and well connected with the NBA circles.
angrypuppy
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon May 08, 2017 10:54 am    Post subject:

Add Jerome Bettis to the list.
jonnybravo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon May 08, 2017 11:20 am    Post subject:

lakersken80 wrote:
gumby wrote:

Bye.

They'll probably try to make it up by putting tons of ads on their jersey....It'll just be like NASCAR.

That revenue would go to the teams and/or respective leagues.
ExPatLkrFan
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon May 08, 2017 6:13 pm    Post subject:

The player salaries are tied to percentages if the cap. So what difference does it make in terms of high salaries.
lakers0505
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon May 08, 2017 6:34 pm    Post subject:

gumby wrote:

Bye.

Ah, I think this is where ESPN screwed themselves actually. They benefited from the outrageous fees they charged to cable companies, because of all or none subscription packages. So ESPN does not have the funds to grab the NFL + NBA at the same rates or more going forward.

ESPN/TNT has the NBA signed until 2024-2025 for 2.66 billion per year
ESPN has the NFL through 2021 for 1.9 billion per year

ESPN is in a bit of a tricky situation, I don't see why Fox or NBC won't make a hard push for more NFL coverage in 2021.
Basketball Fan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed May 31, 2017 5:38 pm    Post subject:

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2017/05/31/john-clayton-out-at-espn/

Quote:
John Clayton out at ESPN

ESPN has let go of yet another longtime NFL reporter.

John Clayton, who has covered the NFL for ESPN for 23 years, has been laid off, according to Sporting News.

Clayton’s ESPN Radio show in Seattle will remain in place, as the local ESPN Radio affiliates are not actually owned by ESPN. But he is done covering the league for ESPN on television and on ESPN.com.

ESPN is laying off about 100 employees. Clayton joins a list of many laid-off ESPN workers who are recognizable to NFL fans, a list that also includes Adam Caplan, Andrew Brandt, Trent Dilfer, Ed Werder, Britt McHenry, Ashley Fox and Paul Kuharsky.
Aeneas Hunter
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed May 31, 2017 6:09 pm    Post subject:

Okay, that's a shocker.
Basketball Fan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Oct 30, 2017 3:25 pm    Post subject:

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/news/why-espn-could-abandon-nfl-football-guest-column-1052792?utm_source=Sailthru&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=THR%20Breaking%20News_2017-10-30%2006:00:00_jstrause&utm_term=hollywoodreporter_breakingnews

Quote:

James Andrew Miller: Why ESPN Could Abandon NFL Football (Guest Column)

Adam C. Moore

It’s not outlandish to entertain a previously unthinkable prospect: Might ESPN elect to go without rights to NFL games?
​In a span of less than five years, industry giant ESPN has seen its narrative transformed from that of a mighty colossus into the hard-luck tale of a ragtag warrior.

As it struggles to regain heretofore heroic heights — levels of growth that are probably no longer attainable — ESPN has had to endure a slew of significant workforce layoffs (with more reportedly on the way) and a once-doting Wall Street that has turned a skeptically cold shoulder. Astonishing increases in earnings, previously viewed as faits acomplis, now seem like fantasies from another world, thanks to the now-familiar combo of cord-cutting and burgeoning rights fees.

​With so much of ESPN’s universe asunder, it’s not outlandish now to entertain a previously unthinkable prospect: Might ESPN elect to go without rights to NFL games after the expiration of its eight-year deal for Monday Night Football in 2021?!

​“Impossible”? Yeah, we know — NFL games have been the backbone of ESPN’s existence since 1987, and the biggest, most critical element of its financial dominance ever since. The network basically can’t exist without an NFL rights package.

​Well, think again — like some execs at the network have started to do — and consider the following:

First, quietly, ESPN has been able to pull off a dramatic judo move in recent agreements with its affiliates, one whose importance cannot be overstated: There is no longer specific contract language that requires the cable giant to have NFL games in order to earn its lofty (and industry-envied) subscriber fees, currently more than $7 per household. This means the network would not face automatic decreases in that vital artery of its dual revenue stream. Sure, distributors would be aghast, demanding to negotiate lower fees probably immediately, but the point is, there would be negotiations, enabling ESPN to do everything it could to keep those numbers as high as possible.

​Second, when ESPN agreed to pay $15.2 billion for its current Monday Night Football deal, some of its key executives believed they were buying the schedule of the previous MNF package, i.e., more often than not, the best game or at least one of the top games of the week. But Sunday Night Football got that pedigree, and Fox and CBS games since then have also generally been more desirable than ESPN’s matchups. With the advent of Thursday Night Football several years ago, ESPN’s Monday night schedule has been further diluted of quality matchups, and the network hasn't been shy about voicing dissatisfaction.

​NFL scheduling guru Howard Katz can keep more plates spinning in the air than anyone else in sports, and he’s done the Lord’s work trying to please everyone, but math is math, and there just aren’t enough good games to go around. Yes, Monday Night Football ratings are up about 5 percent this year over last year, but it’s still far behind 2015’s viewership, for example. ESPN is averaging roughly 11 million viewers for its games; given myriad challenges the network is facing, will parent Disney believe that an audience of that size for only 17 weeks a year is worth billions?

​Third, ESPN pays a disproportionally steeper rights fee for NFL games than CBS, Fox and NBC, because ESPN's deals give it access to NFL footage outside the games — NFL films and other NFL-related opportunities. So, when ESPN's Pardon the Interruption, for instance, wants to run a highlight, or SportsCenter and all the network’s NFL shoulder programming want to dissect games and plays till the cows wander home, ESPN producers can use all the NFL footage they want. At the time of ESPN's last deal, industry experts estimated that 15 percent to 20 percent of its total cost could be attributed to those additional rights and privileges, and ESPN had no choice but to pay up. How could the network survive without those? The answer is they might not have to because of NFL Capitalism 101: Cash Equals Truth. Can anyone imagine the NFL turning down an offer from ESPN of $300 or $400 million for just those rights, even if ESPN didn’t have game rights? It’s doubtful.

Which brings us to a fourth consideration: Timing for the next round of NFL rights — beginning in a couple years — is turning out to be rather propitious for the NFL. By then, digital players like Twitter, Google and Facebook will have had time to decide if they want to make what will be a huge leap from limited deals they’ve done with the league, like Amazon’s $50 million deal for streaming Thursday nights to the multiple billion-dollar price tags for actual games. If they do, that increased competition could drive prices even higher and further push ESPN out of the game. The league could set aside Monday night as an experimental night for a digital player that would be thrilled to be in the arena and wouldn’t be as demanding, scheduling-wise.

​Disney CEO Bob Iger was a key participant back in 2005 when ABC declined to keep its NFL package because it was losing money, and if Iger is going to fulfill the dreams of many in Hollywood and run for president in 2020, he’ll want to walk in the cornfields of Iowa with a track record as a financially responsible executive.

Finally, the NFL seems to be cuddling up closer and closer to a land that was once thought to be on the verge of extinction: broadcast networks. The league is worried about those cord-cutting numbers in the cable universe and turned on by news like CBS getting more than $2/household now for retransmission fees (Leslie Moonves, one of broadcast’s more tireless and formidable champions, recently estimated CBS might bring in as much as $2.5 billion a year by 2020; that will certainly get the NFL’s attention). With the league’s bromance with broadcast showing no signs of waning, ESPN’s chances of getting Sunday night or one of the other Sunday games will be difficult at best.

​What might be the repercussions for ESPN if it decided not to seriously chase down another NFL rights package? There would be both bad and good news. Bad: it would be forced to come up with provocative and meaningful alternatives to replace 17 weeks of lost NFL games. But the good news is the network would have some serious spending money it hasn't had in years. Take the $2 billion that it is now giving the NFL, subtract say $350 million for rights to highlights as described above, and another $250 million to send back to Burbank the way Henry Hill gave Paulie that “tribute” money after a big haul, and that still leaves a billion and a half dollars for ESPN to play the media rights version of Wheel of Fortune. While it’s true that nothing drives a sub fee like the NFL, ESPN could go on a spending spree targeting CBS’ college football deal with the SEC, a Big 12 deal, baseball post-season, rights to NHL hockey, EPL soccer and a whole buffet table of other properties that would prove beneficial in its negotiations with distributors who would want to lower their sub fees.

​Of course, there would be another added bonus of walking away from NFL games, and that is not having to deal with the ramifications of a story like that of the 6'1" and 14-year-old quarterback who could throw a perfect spiral downfield to a receiver who didn’t have to lose a step. As he was going through progressions later in the game, his coach remarked he had never seen anything like this kid, and that he would have it all — a big D1 career, shoe deals and even, the coach predicted, a starring role in the NFL. Except that after the game, the quarterback’s parents shared the news that this was their son’s last football game. They had given him the choice of being a starting pitcher or playing basketball, saying a violent game littered with heavily documented brain injuries wasn’t on the list for their son’s future career opportunities.

James Andrew Miller is the author of several New York Times best-selling books, including Those Guys Have All the Fun: Inside the World of ESPN. His podcast Origins will soon feature a chapter on ESPN.
lakersken80
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Oct 30, 2017 6:41 pm    Post subject:

Most of the other programs other than games are just marketing for the NFL. ESPN gives a lot of airtime to basically advertise pro football.
Aeneas Hunter
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Oct 30, 2017 6:54 pm    Post subject:

That's an interesting article. There have been parallel discussions for other sports. The big sports leagues have been floating on a bubble of TV money. What happens if ESPN does exactly what the author suggests, dropping MNF and just paying for rights to footage for use in its other programming? How would the NFL replace that revenue?
Basketball Fan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Nov 11, 2017 9:18 pm    Post subject:

https://www.si.com/tech-media/2017/11/09/espn-layoffs-staffers-sportscenter-talent-cuts

Quote:
More Significant Layoffs Are Coming to ESPN

The network is expected to cut more than 100 staffers, including front-facing talent, in late November.
By Richard Deitsch November 09, 2017
ESPN will lay off more than 100 staffers after the Thanksgiving holidays, multiple sources tell Sports Illustrated. The layoffs, which were described by a person briefed on the plans, will hit positions across ESPN including front-facing talent on the television side, producers, executives, and digital and technology staffers. The SportsCenter franchise is expected to be hit hard—including on-air people—given the frequency of the show has lessened considerably on main network ESPN.

The network declined comment to SI on Thursday afternoon.

2018 GMC® Terrain Denali - Compare SUV Features
See How The 2018 GMC® Terrain Denali Surpasses Competition in Function & Style. www.GMC.com/Compare-Terrain-Denali
Though hiring has continued and the network remains one of the great destinations for jobs in sports media, ESPN has experienced significant layoffs over the last two years. In Oct. 2015 the company laid off roughly 300 employees, about 4-5% of its workforce—a particularly brutal act of gutting given the long tenures of many of those who were cut. Many of those employees helped build the foundation of ESPN and had given their professional life to the company.

Last April, ESPN eliminated around 100 journalists and on-air personalities. At that time the company said: “A necessary component of managing change involves constantly evaluating how we best utilize all of our resources, and that sometimes involves difficult decisions.”

ESPN continues to be impacted by the changing habits of consumers including cord-cutting and cord-nevers (those who have never purchased a cable subscription) as well as the rising costs of sports rights. The network has dropped in households from 100.13 million in 2011 to an estimated 87.5 million households today.

TECH & MEDIA
ESPN Lays Out New Social Media Guidelines for Employees
Part of the reason ESPN will conduct the moves in late November/early December, two sources said, is to get employees an additional year in the stock vesting program.

Last month Michael McCarthy of Sporting News first noted a round of layoffs were coming to ESPN.

If you have endured layoffs at your place of employment, you know how extraordinary awful they are. Multiple ESPN employees in speaking with SI said the atmosphere in Bristol is tense, especially in the SportsCenter division. Asked to characterize how employees are feeling, one longtime on-air anchor offered one word: “Queasy.”
LakerSanity

PostPosted: Sat Nov 11, 2017 10:05 pm    Post subject:

I don't watch ESPN anymore except for Basketball once in a while. A decade or more ago, I liked sportscenter. However, I don't need to watch sportscenter to see highlights. The other problem with sportscenter is that I have to hear and watch a bunch of stuff I don't care about to get to the stuff I do care about. What can ESPN provided that a blogger or local reporter not provide better as to your favorite team?

I like ESPN's website (to some degree) and I like ESPN radio. However, ESPN TV might as well be non-existent for me. I'm guessing its the same for most people out there these days. With so many better websites out there I can use for statistical information, and so many bloggers out there and podcasts out there, that's eating into my interest for ESPN's website and radio stations as well.

Twitter: @DeleteThisPost
adkindo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Nov 12, 2017 7:51 pm    Post subject:

LakerSanity wrote:
I don't watch ESPN anymore except for Basketball once in a while. A decade or more ago, I liked sportscenter. However, I don't need to watch sportscenter to see highlights. The other problem with sportscenter is that I have to hear and watch a bunch of stuff I don't care about to get to the stuff I do care about. What can ESPN provided that a blogger or local reporter not provide better as to your favorite team?

I like ESPN's website (to some degree) and I like ESPN radio. However, ESPN TV might as well be non-existent for me. I'm guessing its the same for most people out there these days. With so many better websites out there I can use for statistical information, and so many bloggers out there and podcasts out there, that's eating into my interest for ESPN's website and radio stations as well.

could not have said it better myself....live sports is all I really watch on ESPN.....I have not tuned in for SC in forever....and I used to wake up and go to sleep with SC playing.
lakersken80
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Nov 12, 2017 7:54 pm    Post subject:

They could fire everyone at ESPN and they would still be in the red...they paid a lot for those TV rights. They will have to let go of a couple of sports properties the next time around.
ChickenStu
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Nov 13, 2017 1:49 am    Post subject:

lakersken80 wrote:
They could fire everyone at ESPN and they would still be in the red...they paid a lot for those TV rights. They will have to let go of a couple of sports properties the next time around.

Yeah, especially the NFL Monday night package. They paid far too much for that package, and the NFL seems to be backsliding in terms of popularity. It's still #1, yes, but it's losing steam, and it feels palpable, too. I think they might say bye-bye to NFL games, and maybe they'll feel emboldened to pick up some more MLB rights or even NHL rights again.

I agree with those who have said that the only reason they watch ESPN now is to watch live sports. I don't watch it for SportsCenter or PTI or Around the Horn or anything like that. If I'm awake early enough in the morning I sometimes watch the Mike & Mike simulcast, but that hardly counts, and that show is about to be done anyway (last time on the air will be November 17th for them). And I won't be listening to Golic & Wingo because I find Trey Wingo to be a smug, conceited guy who fancies himself as a know-it-all, and he even comes across that way on Twitter. Greeny could skirt that line as well, but at least he was pretty self-deprecating.
Aeneas Hunter
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Nov 13, 2017 7:29 am    Post subject:

lakersken80 wrote:

ESPN is not in the red. It just isn’t as profitable as it used to be. I give ESPN credit for trying to get back ahead of the curve, rather than sticking with the same old formula. The question is whether the TV rights bubble will finally burst when the current contracts expire.
adkindo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Nov 29, 2017 7:36 am    Post subject:

ESPN lays off approximately 150 behind-the-scenes employees

Quote:
ESPN announced Wednesday that it is laying off approximately 150 employees, the network’s third round of job cuts over the past two-plus years.

LINK
LakersRGolden
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Nov 29, 2017 10:00 am    Post subject:

ChickenStu wrote:
lakersken80 wrote:

Yeah, especially the NFL Monday night package. They paid far too much for that package, and the NFL seems to be backsliding in terms of popularity. It's still #1, yes, but it's losing steam, and it feels palpable, too. I think they might say bye-bye to NFL games, and maybe they'll feel emboldened to pick up some more MLB rights or even NHL rights again.

I agree with those who have said that the only reason they watch ESPN now is to watch live sports. I don't watch it for SportsCenter or PTI or Around the Horn or anything like that. If I'm awake early enough in the morning I sometimes watch the Mike & Mike simulcast, but that hardly counts, and that show is about to be done anyway (last time on the air will be November 17th for them). And I won't be listening to Golic & Wingo because I find Trey Wingo to be a smug, conceited guy who fancies himself as a know-it-all, and he even comes across that way on Twitter. Greeny could skirt that line as well, but at least he was pretty self-deprecating.

I flip through the channels, hit ESPN, see Stephen A. Smith, throw up a little, and change the channel. ESPN is dead to me unless they have the exclusive broadcast of a Laker game.
lakersken80
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Nov 29, 2017 10:34 pm    Post subject:

Well, ESPN basically has a monopoly on the majority of college bowl games now....they are the reason why there aren't any more bowl games on free tv anymore. Their strategy of collecting every sports property has basically backfired since sports rights are expensive and people have shown they are willing to cut the cord.
adkindo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Dec 18, 2017 8:29 am    Post subject:

Skipper resigns as ESPN President

Quote:
I have struggled for many years with a substance addiction. I have decided that the most important thing I can do right now is to take care of my problem.

LINK
Basketball Fan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Mar 15, 2018 5:12 pm    Post subject:

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2018/03/15/ex-espn-president-says-he-resigned-because-his-cocaine-dealer-extorted-him/

Quote:
Ex-ESPN president says he resigned because his cocaine dealer extorted him

In December, ESPN President John Skipper announced his resignation, citing a substance addiction. Skipper now says it wasn’t the addiction that forced him to resign, but rather an unsavory character he used as a source for cocaine, who began extorting him.

Skipper tells the Hollywood Reporter that after having used cocaine for years and always managing to keep it separate from his job, he mixed up with the wrong drug dealer, and that person threatened to do damage to him and to his company.

“It turned out I wasn’t careful this time,” Skipper said. “They threatened me, and I understood immediately that threat put me and my family at risk, and this exposure would put my professional life at risk as well.”

Skipper said he wished he could have gone on temporary leave from ESPN, rather than resigning, but as he talked to Disney CEO Bob Iger about his predicament he quickly came to the conclusion that he was going to have to leave permanently.

“When I discussed it with Bob, he and I agreed that I had placed the company in an untenable position and as a result, I should resign,” Skipper said.

And so Skipper resigned from what he calls “the best job in sports on the planet.”
jodeke
Retired Number
Retired Number

Location: In a world where admitting to not knowing something is considered a great way to learn.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 16, 2018 7:53 am    Post subject:

Basketball Fan wrote:
http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2018/03/15/ex-espn-president-says-he-resigned-because-his-cocaine-dealer-extorted-him/

Quote:
Ex-ESPN president says he resigned because his cocaine dealer extorted him

In December, ESPN President John Skipper announced his resignation, citing a substance addiction. Skipper now says it wasn’t the addiction that forced him to resign, but rather an unsavory character he used as a source for cocaine, who began extorting him.

Skipper tells the Hollywood Reporter that after having used cocaine for years and always managing to keep it separate from his job, he mixed up with the wrong drug dealer, and that person threatened to do damage to him and to his company.

“It turned out I wasn’t careful this time,” Skipper said. “They threatened me, and I understood immediately that threat put me and my family at risk, and this exposure would put my professional life at risk as well.”

Skipper said he wished he could have gone on temporary leave from ESPN, rather than resigning, but as he talked to Disney CEO Bob Iger about his predicament he quickly came to the conclusion that he was going to have to leave permanently.

“When I discussed it with Bob, he and I agreed that I had placed the company in an untenable position and as a result, I should resign,” Skipper said.

And so Skipper resigned from what he calls “the best job in sports on the planet.”

I hope he identifies the dealer. The dealer put him out of business, I hope he returns the favor.

America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we falter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves.
splashmtn
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Mar 19, 2018 3:59 pm    Post subject:

LakersRGolden wrote:
ChickenStu wrote:
lakersken80 wrote:

I flip through the channels, hit ESPN, see Stephen A. Smith, throw up a little, and change the channel. ESPN is dead to me unless they have the exclusive broadcast of a Laker game.
This.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Off Topic All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 4 of 5
Jump to: