Give Deng an Extension (No Seriously, Read Within)
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
waterman40
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Nov 21, 2017 1:45 am    Post subject:

If we extended Deng and then bought him out, then Emplay should get the Nobel peace Prize.
cital
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Nov 21, 2017 7:23 am    Post subject:

waterman40 wrote:
If we extended Deng and then bought him out, then Emplay should get the Nobel peace Prize.

This is actually a great idea... I personally don’t think the league would allow an extension and stretch unless the extension is guaranteed for the League minimum each of the 3 years (obviously I could be wrong, but that’s my gut feeling). But if Deng would then agree to a buyout giving up that amount of money (3 years at the minimum), we would just be stuck paying him what he is currently owed.... he still gets all his money and freedom and we get the cap space we need without paying him any extra money or giving up any compensation in a trade... If Deng REALLY wants out, this seems fair on all sides and I’m not sure how the league wouldn’t allow it.
activeverb
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Nov 25, 2017 8:56 am    Post subject:

LakerBaker wrote:
waterman40 wrote:

This is actually a great idea... I personally don’t think the league would allow an extension and stretch unless the extension is guaranteed for the League minimum each of the 3 years (obviously I could be wrong, but that’s my gut feeling). But if Deng would then agree to a buyout giving up that amount of money (3 years at the minimum), we would just be stuck paying him what he is currently owed.... he still gets all his money and freedom and we get the cap space we need without paying him any extra money or giving up any compensation in a trade... If Deng REALLY wants out, this seems fair on all sides and I’m not sure how the league wouldn’t allow it.

I have doubts that the league would allow an accounting trick to double the stretch period. They might but the commissioner has broad powers to disallow things that go against the spirit of the rules even if they aren't technically disallowed, so who knows?
Aeneas Hunter
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Nov 30, 2017 7:47 am    Post subject:

activeverb wrote:
LakerBaker wrote:
waterman40 wrote:

I have doubts that the league would allow an accounting trick to double the stretch period. They might but the commissioner has broad powers to disallow things that go against the spirit of the rules even if they aren't technically disallowed, so who knows?

I don’t think it gets that far. Deng knows that Magic and Pelinka are publicly committed to clearing two max slots. What are they going to do? Threaten to keep him on the roster and pay him his full salary for two years? They can’t force him to do anything, and he has minimal incentive to help the Lakers with their cap problems.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7
Page 7 of 7
Jump to: