Reflecting after game 21 - my thoughts on a couple players

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.
View previous topic :: View next topic  
fusuyballer
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Thu Nov 30, 2017 5:53 am    Post subject: Reflecting after game 21 - my thoughts on a couple players

Lonzo Ball -- Kyle Kuzma said he's misunderstood. I think Kuzma was on to something. I think Lonzo's stoic composure is how he handles pressure. So, sometimes it looks like he doesn't care. Like Kuzma, I do think that is misunderstood about him. However, after 21 games I'm certain about a couple of things...

Lonzo Ball doesn't have anything superior about his game...He doesn't have superior handles to control pace like Jason Kidd. He doesn't have incredible dribbling ability to penetrate and score like Kyrie Irving. He doesnt have an affinity for shooting like steph curry. Lonzo Ball is a very raw player that has good handle, above avg iq ( esp for age ), as well as composure for his age. He also happens to be 6'6 and has decent balance for his size.

Lonzo can mold himself into a very good player in this league but it's going to take some work on his end. And none of us can predict how much work he's going to be willing to put in . Lonzo Ball doesn't have those inherent talents and hes a avg athlete by NBA standards...which means he's going to have to out work his peers it he wants success in this league.

When I see Lonzo on the court I think back to the Lakers brass questioning his conditioning....and I see that same issue now. Lonzo Ball's body does not look like a professional athlete's body. When you don't have superior athelticism and avg skills, you cannot afford to be in decent shape. You have to be in tip top shape. Lonzo Ball was getting trained by his father when he should have been getting trained by a professional that can show him how to push his body. Terrell Owens tells a great story about how hard he worked to push his body ...but I digress.

Lonzo Ball needs an attitude adjustment. He needs to be challenged and pushed. Just because he plays "unselfish" doesn't mean his attitude is cutting it. On the court I see a kid still in some kind of Chino Hills comfort zone. His lower body looks weak and he doesn't bend his knees enough to show commitment on defense. He's too use to playing at his own slow pace and his body isn't conditioned enough to play at the pace he must learn for him to be successful in this league. This ain't Chino hills or ucla. This is the NBA, and Lonzo better realize hes more Alonzo Mourning than Magic Johnson. He's gonna have to out work his peers in the weight room and in practice to maximize what talent he does have.

He needs to be broken now mentally and physically and must become stronger than hes ever been. Depending on how he responds to this will decide how much he wants this.

Think about JJ Reddick, the dude was great in college but had to work his tail off to be decent in the NBA. Adam Morrison could have done the same, but he didnt. Lonzo Ball confidence is shaky right now because hes not prepared for what its gonna take for him to go from decent player to very good at this level. Once again, Lonzo has to be pushed out of his comfort zone. Right now Lonzo is Forrest Gump.He thinks life is like a box of chocolates until he gets thrown into a war he's unprepared for and sees the reality of life...only the strong survive.

Julius Randall - a lot of things to like about this 22 year old. He's strong, aggressive, and if he stays within the free throw line, he's usually money. Probably our most efficient player this year and productive, along with clarkson. My own issue with him is his mental discpline at times. He just makes a lot of dumb mistakes. However, this is a guy that gets double- doubles like nobody's business. Under the right coaching, ( someone who challenges him and holds him accountable) I expect Julius to be an 18-9 / 20-10 guy with no problem. I also expect the mental aspect of his game to mature.. unforunately this probably own happen until he leaves the Lakers and finds a team that is fully committed to him.

Brandon Ingram - I love his aggressiveness and I keep saying, he's a project player like kawhi leonard. He'll be a good as he's willing to work. More than anything, if he keeps his play up, he's giving guys like paul geroge a good reason to come here. I love the way he competed against KD. Doing the game, GS announcers pointed out the Lakers were last in 3 pt percentage in the NBA. I couldn't help but think of how Paul Geroge scoring and shooting ability would be a great compliment to this team. The only thing I worry about is a veteran player coming in here and messing up chemistry of this young bunch. All in all, ingram's versilitiy makes him very compatible with a great scorer / shooter because of his growing ability to take the ball to the basket and defend with his size -- which means he'll be able to impact the game on defense and without taking shots away from a guy like Paul.

Kuzma -- I'm not over my heels with him like some people. I actually think since he has joined the starting lineup, ive questioned his defense and decision making. He really has turned the ball over since starting. Plus, he has a quick trigger and I think he's better off the bench. I prefer Larry Nance willingness to make the extra pass in the starting lineup, because we're more patience and more guys are involved. We know what Kuzma can do scoring the ball, but he needs to focus on his defense and decision making. I'm thinking ahead here, but if Julius is gone next year, I can't help but think Kuzma would become the new sixth man....imagine if we sign cousins and George..

Cousins
Nance jr
Ingram
Geroge
Lonzo

I just don't see how you start Kuzma who is always looking for his shot whereas Nance is better in post defense and facilitating at this point. I think Larry is just better for balance as a starter. Ok, I digress again.

Caldwell Pope - I love his aggressiveness on both sides of the ball. Yeah , he's a little too agreessive at times but can you blame him considering Lonzos struggles at times? Or, the Lakers struggles in general to score ? Long story short, he's a throw back player that gets it done on both ends. I'll be curious to where he ends up next year and what kind of deal he signs.

Brook Lopez -- Imagine Boogie Cousins taking those same threes...getting those same touches on the low block. Playing pick and role with Lonzo Ball. The more I watch Lopez in this offense, the more I see how Boogie skill sets can fit this offense..he's pretty much a better Brook Lopez.

Once again I'm jumping ahead, but last night matchup vs the warriors might have been a glimpse of the future of the western conference. The team that dethrones GS will probably be this Laker team in 2018, especially if they add Boogie and George. A Laker vs Celtic rivalry may be coming sooner than we think.

Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Thu Nov 30, 2017 6:17 am    Post subject:

i think you are trippin' lonzo is so smooth. when his game reaches apex and he is fully developed player is an absolute super star. kuzma is a stud and BI shows flashes of just being a beast. we actually have 3 players in them that are non tradable.
laker50
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Nov 30, 2017 7:39 am    Post subject:

The Lakers are very close to being a playoff team. The blowouts have gone down, and the team is competitive.
The team is just a Lonzo shot fix from being a good playoff team now.
When the other teams have to play him close it will open up his passing even more.

I think Randle should start instead of Nance for he brings more scoring and rebounding. But at PF not center.

Chances are looking good for Paul George to come to the Lakers at a max salary. Keep Randle, Clarkson, KCP.
Take Cousins if he comes.

You are right, it is a contending team.
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Nov 30, 2017 8:12 am    Post subject:

Hollywood $winger wrote:
i think you are trippin' lonzo is so smooth. when his game reaches apex and he is fully developed player is an absolute super star. kuzma is a stud and BI shows flashes of just being a beast. we actually have 3 players in them that are non tradable.

So happy something else said that. Definitely agree!!
Ziggy
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Nov 30, 2017 9:40 am    Post subject:

Lonzo has a feel for the game you can't teach. He needs skills training, which can be learned. I'm just not confident about our player development coaches.
activeverb
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Nov 30, 2017 9:49 am    Post subject:

Lonzo is a question mark. The hype, the reality show, and the circus his father creates doesn't serve him well. The question is whether he's ready to get off cruise control and acknowledge his game needs work.

Both Ingram and Kuzma have promise. What that promise will turn into is another question.

However, if we actually land good free agents, it will be in part because they believe in Ingram, Ball and Kuz so those are the guys we need to focus on.

It will be interesting to see what offers Pope gets. He made a big mistake turning down that big deal because the market this year will be really tight, That said, I doubt he resigns with us unless our free agent plan doesn't work out.
troy
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Nov 30, 2017 9:54 am    Post subject:

The only Laker player that I don't like is Lopez. Other than that, everbody on this team has an upside. We just need that super star to bring everything together. Winning makes players better. Once we start winning, you will see a different player in Ball, Ingram, and so forth.

I'd like to see Cousins come to this Lakers team. I'm not sold on PG. Lebron, yes, of course. But Cousins is the one guy I feel will take this Lakers team over the top.
noahp45
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Nov 30, 2017 12:26 pm    Post subject:

I'm calling it now we make the 8th seed and give Gs a run for their money
splashmtn
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Dec 01, 2017 2:44 pm    Post subject:

noahp45 wrote:
I'm calling it now we make the 8th seed and give Gs a run for their money
how's about we shock the world and beat them, the same way old school Bdavis Gstate beat the top seed to advance.

Then lavar will say "i told you my son was better than steph" and there would be nothing any of us could say about it, even if steph dropped 50 and 20 every game. lol
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: