My in-person thoughts from tonight's game

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
PHILosophize
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Dec 02, 2017 9:19 pm    Post subject: My in-person thoughts from tonight's game

Well guys I was at the game tonight and I'm dismayed to say the least. A few thoughts:

- Ingram looked really good and his length is something I haven't really been able to truly appreciate until seeing him up close. I think if he can become a good shooter he can be a force in this league. I went to one game last year and the difference from last year to this is very promising. I'm starting to see why Magic views him as untouchable.

- Lonzo looks very non-chalant out there for better or worse. For the most part I don't see it as an effort thing (though one play where he thought he got followed, he basically didn't even get back on defense at all and we gave up a hoop). He looks invisible for large stretches but also made some good plays.

- Lopez actually looked good tonight and thought he should have played more down the stretch. We were giving up tons of offensive rebounds and though he's not a rebounder, his defense/rim protection would have been very helpful.

- Koozy was invisible in the first half but looked REALLY good in the second half for the most part. Very smooth and he has more length than I thought he did.

- Julius played with tons of fire and energy but also made some dumb plays. He looks a lot better than when I saw him last year too.

- The team as a whole had so many dumb turnovers - I think that's ultimately what cost us the game tonight. The refs were about even though we got hosed on some calls for sure.

- Brewer should never play, but I already knew that.

- I was sitting by a lot of Laker fans (there were a ton of Laker fans overall) and many of them were giving Lonzo a really hard time. It was kind of infuriating - some people were screaming at him every time down the floor, calling him a bust, etc. They're being way too hard on him.

- Our starting lineup sucks - another bad start and though we overcame it, we could have built up a lead IMO if we had a different starting lineup. Kooz needs to start and Nance needs to be benched. I didn't really notice much from Nance tonight at all.

- I didn't like the rotations at the end of the game.

- Nuggets Girls have some gems, but their routines are terrible.
foshowtime
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Dec 02, 2017 9:22 pm    Post subject: Re: My in-person thoughts from tonight's game

PHILosophize wrote:
Well guys I was at the game tonight and I'm dismayed to say the least. A few thoughts:

- Ingram looked really good and his length is something I haven't really been able to truly appreciate until seeing him up close. I think if he can become a good shooter he can be a force in this league. I went to one game last year and the difference from last year to this is very promising. I'm starting to see why Magic views him as untouchable.

- Lonzo looks very non-chalant out there for better or worse. For the most part I don't see it as an effort thing (though one play where he thought he got followed, he basically didn't even get back on defense at all and we gave up a hoop). He looks invisible for large stretches but also made some good plays.

- Lopez actually looked good tonight and thought he should have played more down the stretch. We were giving up tons of offensive rebounds and though he's not a rebounder, his defense/rim protection would have been very helpful.

- Koozy was invisible in the first half but looked REALLY good in the second half for the most part. Very smooth and he has more length than I thought he did.

- Julius played with tons of fire and energy but also made some dumb plays. He looks a lot better than when I saw him last year too.

- The team as a whole had so many dumb turnovers - I think that's ultimately what cost us the game tonight. The refs were about even though we got hosed on some calls for sure.

- I was sitting by a lot of Laker fans (there were a ton of Laker fans overall) and many of them were giving Lonzo a really hard time. It was kind of infuriating - some people were screaming at him every time down the floor, calling him a bust, etc. They're being way too hard on him.

- Our starting lineup sucks - another bad start and though we overcame it, we could have built up a lead IMO if we had a different starting lineup. Kooz needs to start and Nance needs to be benched. I didn't really notice much from Nance tonight at all.

Thanks for the first hand perspective.
fontana3d
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Dec 02, 2017 9:26 pm    Post subject: Re: My in-person thoughts from tonight's game

PHILosophize wrote:

It won't matter who starts because we will be bad defensively anyways. Also due to like of SF's Brewer has to play.
Joe Pesci
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Dec 02, 2017 9:27 pm    Post subject: Re: My in-person thoughts from tonight's game

fontana3d wrote:
PHILosophize wrote:

It won't matter who starts because we will be bad defensively anyways. Also due to like of SF's Brewer has to play.

Pope and Hart can both get backup SF minutes, no problem.
Daphanabe
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Dec 02, 2017 10:11 pm    Post subject:

Awesome post! Always great to hear first hand accounts.
HAL 9000
Sixth Man
Sixth Man

PostPosted: Sat Dec 02, 2017 10:20 pm    Post subject:

I was at the game as well and agree with the OP's observations. I was disappointed, obviously, with the final 4 minutes as the Lakers just seemed to give up and became a turn over machine and basically diarrhead all over the court in a whimper to a another sub-level team.

Walton and Balls technical were inexcusable at that crucial point in the game. They basically said; "we're done" when the game was still in doubt.

I will also add, that I saw very little from Nance, KCP and Brewer. Why Randle isn't starting over Nance is a real head scratcher.

Ball was very disappointing, at one point falling after turning the ball over than, literally, sitting on the court while watching his fellow teammates struggle on defense without him. He just doesn't seem to have much desire.

One other observation was that Ingram takes his shooting practice very seriously, during the half time shoot around he was diligently working on his foul shots over and over again, while Ball was a complete no show during the half time shoot around. I hate to rag so much on Ball, and I hope he can turn it around, but damn, that was seriously disappointing to see.

On a positive note, Kuzma, Clarkson and Hart looked solid and Laker Nation was a force. You could not tell it was a Nugget home game.

Last edited by HAL 9000 on Sat Dec 02, 2017 10:21 pm; edited 1 time in total
PHILosophize
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Dec 02, 2017 10:21 pm    Post subject:

HAL 9000 wrote:
I was at the game as well and agree with the OP's observations. I was disappointed, obviously, with the final 4 minutes as the Lakers just seemed to give up and became a turn over machine and basically diarrhead all over the court in a whimper to a another sub-level team.

Walton and Balls technical were inexcusable at that crucial point in the game. They basically said; "we're done" when the game was still in doubt.

I will also add, that I saw very little from Nance, KCP and the invisible man Brewer. Why Randle isn't starting over Nance is a real head scratcher.

Ball was very disappointing, at one point falling after turning the ball over than, literally, sitting on the court while watching his fellow teammates struggle on defense without him. He just doesn't seem to have much desire.

One other observation was that Ingram takes his shooting practice very seriously, during the half time shoot around he was diligently working on his foul shots over and over again, while Ball was a complete no show during the half time shoot around. I hate to rag so much on Ball, and I hope he can turn it around, but damn, that was seriously disappointing to see.

On a positive note, Kuzma, Clarkson and Hart looked solid and Laker Nation was a force. You could not tell it was a Nugget home game.

great post
pio2u
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Dec 02, 2017 10:28 pm    Post subject:

PHILosophize wrote:
HAL 9000 wrote:

I will also add, that I saw very little from Nance, KCP and the invisible man Brewer. Why Randle isn't starting over Nance is a real head scratcher.

great post

Great posts by both of you guys. Thanks for the insight and analysis into this game from two different perspectives.
VicXLakers
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Dec 02, 2017 10:54 pm    Post subject:

HAL 9000 wrote:

while Ball was a complete no show during the half time shoot around. .

not to make excuses but I wonder if he was getting some treatment on that sore calf...
unleasHell
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Dec 02, 2017 11:15 pm    Post subject: Re: My in-person thoughts from tonight's game

PHILosophize wrote:

AGREE!, since we are losing all the Road games, Spectrum needs to show more of the opponents cheer team girls...
epak
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Dec 02, 2017 11:23 pm    Post subject:

U guaranteed me a victory!!!!!
Hammett
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Dec 03, 2017 1:37 am    Post subject:

Thanks for sharing.
Shaber
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Dec 03, 2017 1:53 am    Post subject:

pio2u wrote:
PHILosophize wrote:
HAL 9000 wrote:

great post

Great posts by both of you guys. Thanks for the insight and analysis into this game from two different perspectives.

Thank you both indeed!

Lakers depth chart

PG Johnson / Goodrich
SG Bryant / West / Scott
SF Baylor / Worthy / Cooper
PF Mikkelsen / Hairston / McAdoo / Gasol
C Chamberlain / Abdul-Jabbar / O'Neal / Mikan
SocalDevin
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Dec 03, 2017 2:00 am    Post subject:

Thanks for sharing guys..
PHILosophize
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Dec 03, 2017 7:54 am    Post subject:

epak wrote:
U guaranteed me a victory!!!!!

I did no such thing! I guaranteed we would wear the purple uniforms and that was it
bandiger
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Dec 03, 2017 8:36 am    Post subject:

HAL 9000 wrote:

I will also add, that I saw very little from Nance, KCP and Brewer. Why Randle isn't starting over Nance is a real head scratcher.

Thanks for this insight, I thought it was unsual for Ingram to be close to perfect on FTs that game. Now I know why he was performing well on that end.
TDRock
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Dec 03, 2017 9:32 am    Post subject:

Great posts y’all. Thanks
HAL 9000
Sixth Man
Sixth Man

PostPosted: Sun Dec 03, 2017 9:53 am    Post subject:

VicXLakers wrote:
HAL 9000 wrote:

while Ball was a complete no show during the half time shoot around. .

not to make excuses but I wonder if he was getting some treatment on that sore calf...

Good point. I did not know he had a calf issue. I will give Ball the benefit of the doubt. I realized, after a night of thinking about it, I may have been a little harsh as he had a decent first half. He just a bad second half and horrible fourth quarter.
adkindo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Dec 03, 2017 10:40 am    Post subject: Re: My in-person thoughts from tonight's game

PHILosophize wrote:

nothing on Clarkson?
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: