OFFICIAL GARY LANCE JR THREAD - traded :(
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 203, 204, 205 ... 219, 220, 221  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> General Basketball Discussion Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ahaider
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Dec 04, 2017 11:49 am    Post subject:

Nance in the 2nd unit as the small ball center next to Kuzma is ideal to me. That unit can run.

I don't like his fit starting next to Lopez. It should be Randle.

"The key to good decision making is not knowledge. It is understanding. We are swimming in the former. We are desperately lacking in the latter." - Malcom Gladwell
greenfrog
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Dec 04, 2017 11:55 am    Post subject:

ahaider wrote:
Nance in the 2nd unit as the small ball center next to Kuzma is ideal to me. That unit can run.

I think he actually does fit well with Lopez. The problem is Lopez shouldn't be starting.
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Dec 04, 2017 11:59 am    Post subject:

greenfrog wrote:
ahaider wrote:

I think he actually does fit well with Lopez. The problem is Lopez shouldn't be starting.

Neither should be starting. When both are, you know you either suck or your coach is blind.

In our case, both.
PHILosophize
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Dec 04, 2017 12:00 pm    Post subject:

2019 wrote:
greenfrog wrote:
ahaider wrote:

Neither should be starting. When both are, you know you either suck or your coach is blind.

In our case, both.

Lonzo
KCP
BI
Kooz
Randle

JC
Lopez
Nance
Hart
greenfrog
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Dec 04, 2017 12:14 pm    Post subject:

2019 wrote:
greenfrog wrote:
ahaider wrote:

In our case, both.

After last night's game, I can make a case for Nance based on his intelligence relative to his teammates. The turnovers and stupid mistakes, maybe even as big a problem as the lack of shooting, would actually increase with Randle and Kooz. And some people are calling for JC to start...
Laker's Fan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Dec 04, 2017 12:22 pm    Post subject:

venturalakersfan wrote:
The Nance at center project needs to end. Keep him at PF.

But his inability to shoot, his unwillingness to shoot, and the unwillingness of teams to defend him on the perimeter make him a poor fit at PF for a team that lacks a ball dominant star. In theory having Brook space at Center gets you off the hook when playing Larry at PF. But Brook runs hot and cold, you have no spacing with Nance and Jules, and you're playing Nance at Center when Kuzma is in there.
greenfrog
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Dec 04, 2017 12:25 pm    Post subject:

Laker's Fan wrote:
venturalakersfan wrote:

But his inability to shoot, his unwillingness to shoot, and the unwillingness of teams to defend him on the perimeter make him a poor fit at PF for a team that lacks a ball dominant star. In theory having Brook space at Center gets you off the hook when playing Larry at PF. But Brook runs hot and cold, you have no spacing with Nance and Jules, and you're playing Nance at Center when Kuzma is in there.

For a team that must have the worst shot selection in the league I'm starting to admire this aspect.
watchME
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Dec 04, 2017 12:40 pm    Post subject:

greenfrog wrote:
2019 wrote:
greenfrog wrote:
ahaider wrote:

In our case, both.

After last night's game, I can make a case for Nance based on his intelligence relative to his teammates. The turnovers and stupid mistakes, maybe even as big a problem as the lack of shooting, would actually increase with Randle and Kooz. And some people are calling for JC to start...
what is easier to correct if you are a good coach? Players turning the ball over or Players not having the skills to go head to head with nba caliber players? You choose.
Nance is a terrible player he wouldnt get minutes in any other team. Whenever he touches the ball you know he is not scoring or making an impctful assist for a dunk or an open 3 pt. He sucks.
The Juggernaut
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Dec 04, 2017 1:40 pm    Post subject:

The Larry Nance Jr starting project needs to end. He should be getting only 15 mpg at PF and maybe another 5 mpg at back up C. Dude cannot spread the floor nor can he create anything for himself. He's a liability on offense especially next to Lopez.
Dr. Funkbot
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Dec 04, 2017 1:48 pm    Post subject:

The Juggernaut wrote:
The Larry Nance Jr starting project needs to end. He should be getting only 15 mpg at PF and maybe another 5 mpg at back up C. Dude cannot spread the floor nor can he create anything for himself. He's a liability on offense especially next to Lopez.

I am a huge fan of Jr but I do agree that Kuz should be starting. We need the scoring in the worst way in the starting unit. IMO Ball and Kuz have some nice chemistry, they need to play together.
Joe Pesci
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Dec 04, 2017 1:54 pm    Post subject:

Nance is at his best playing with elite guys.

Next year, with James and George, he becomes an extremely valuable role-player.

If he makes it through the summer without having to be traded with Deng (hope not), Nance is my starting center, basically keeping the seat warm for Randle to close my games.

But Nance is a keeper. He can start, but mostly in placeholding starting positions only, where the guy backing him up is more offensive and finishes more games.
J.C. Smith
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Dec 04, 2017 8:51 pm    Post subject:

I agree that Nance is a good team player and the type of guy you want on winning teams. He doesn't have the ego that will conflict with other guys and is fine being a background player. They are similar rebounders at this point, and Randle is a better offensive player, and I'd say they are similar defenders at this point, though each in their own way. Randle is a far better center than Nance though.

This is how the Lakers have fared with each of their big men at center.

Randle: 60% win percentage, +4.6 PER
Bogut: 53% win percentage, -10.3 PER
Nance: 12% win percentage, -5 PER
Lopez: 45% win percentage, -1.7 PER

To stress that. Nance has played center in 8 games and the Lakers were a net negative in 7 of those 8 stints. I did find it amusing that despite Bogut's terrible PER and lackluster numbers they haven't done poorly when he's been out there aside from the first two games of the season.
tox
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Dec 04, 2017 10:20 pm    Post subject:

greenfrog wrote:
Laker's Fan wrote:
venturalakersfan wrote:

For a team that must have the worst shot selection in the league I'm starting to admire this aspect.

Sure, but he goes way too far in the other direction. It hurts the offense either way.
Eindhoven
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Dec 05, 2017 1:24 am    Post subject:

I think Nance is the right guy in the wrong team. I get when people say he is the kind of player that needs to play along the best guys for his game to flourish. It's the same thing as saying "he does all the little things". If Nance plays besides any All Star duo or trio, he is the perfect complement, because he takes the load out of the stars' shoulders, allowing them to shine.

The problem is that we need the guys "doing the big things" first, so a player like Nance can excel. We don't have these guys among our starter: Lonzo, KCP and Lopez are not doing the big things. Ingram does, even with some inconsistency.

The guys who are doing the big things more consistently are all in the second unit: Kuzma, Randle and Clarkson.

So it's not about putting together the best team for Nance to play, but the best team for the Lakers. And it involves having Kuzma and Randle playing the most minutes as our big men. If we can bring two Max players next season, Nance will a great fit, but in the current Lakers, not so much.
adtz
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Tue Dec 05, 2017 1:34 am    Post subject:

Eindhoven wrote:
I think Nance is the right guy in the wrong team. I get when people say he is the kind of player that needs to play along the best guys for his game to flourish. It's the same thing as saying "he does all the little things". If Nance plays besides any All Star duo or trio, he is the perfect complement, because he takes the load out of the stars' shoulders, allowing them to shine.

The problem is that we need the guys "doing the big things" first, so a player like Nance can excel. We don't have these guys among our starter: Lonzo, KCP and Lopez are not doing the big things. Ingram does, even with some inconsistency.

The guys who are doing the big things more consistently are all in the second unit: Kuzma, Randle and Clarkson.

So it's not about putting together the best team for Nance to play, but the best team for the Lakers. And it involves having Kuzma and Randle playing the most minutes as our big men. If we can bring two Max players next season, Nance will a great fit, but in the current Lakers, not so much.
which has the better player, 1st team or the bench and u get the answer
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Dec 05, 2017 2:25 am    Post subject:

Eindhoven wrote:

Very true. Nance is cought in the fit problems. And will be as long as he is reluctant to shoot. He does not shoot so bad, but it is in his head not to.

I am very surprised though about how few here would like to see Randle starting with Lopez. They have a good fit. There were stats somewhere too. Although I admit we have seen too little of that.
Kuzma would be then come in for Lopez and Bogut or Zubac later on for Randle.
Nance will be buried deeper to the bench, unfortunately. I like him, but there is no room for him at PF behind Randle and Kuzma and he just can't play C. It has been tested often enough. Does not work.
And Randle can not start at C. He is just too undersized He'd be eaten alive by taller C-s. We already saw what Embiid did when JR tried to guard him.

Lakers depth chart

PG Johnson / Goodrich
SG Bryant / West / Scott
SF Baylor / Worthy / Cooper
PF Mikkelsen / Hairston / McAdoo / Gasol
C Chamberlain / Abdul-Jabbar / O'Neal / Mikan
trablos
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Dec 05, 2017 2:38 am    Post subject:

Eindhoven wrote:

Little things, big things, I would just be happy with anybody doing some things!
epak
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Dec 05, 2017 10:33 am    Post subject:

I agree.
This year, Randle and Kuzma getting more minutes seems right.
Next year, if we have 2 stars, I think Larry's dirty work becomes valuable.
defense
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Dec 06, 2017 10:31 am    Post subject:

Randle RPM .41____BPM -1.0__PER 17.2
Kuzma RPM -2.64__BPM -1.5__PER 15.7
Nance. RPM .48____BPM 2.4__PER 18.0

The worst PF on the team leads in everything, even the stats that favor stat stuffers/scorers. These stats must be useless...

Also, Monta Ellis and Davis Lee who played for the warriors used to put up big numbers and lose a whole lot, think about it. I'm not saying Larry is better than Randle or Kuzma, but I am saying you guys really need to stop using him as cop out. He has more than earned his 24 minutes a game. Direct your irrational comments somewhere else. I hear Luke has room.

Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Dec 06, 2017 10:38 am    Post subject:

Joe Pesci wrote:
Nance is at his best playing with elite guys.

Next year, with James and George, he becomes an extremely valuable role-player.

If he makes it through the summer without having to be traded with Deng (hope not), Nance is my starting center, basically keeping the seat warm for Randle to close my games.

But Nance is a keeper. He can start, but mostly in placeholding starting positions only, where the guy backing him up is more offensive and finishes more games.

You can't re-sign Randle if LeBron and PG are our free agents and Nance would get eaten alive by other centers.
Lonzo-Lite
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Dec 06, 2017 10:49 am    Post subject:

Nance is Kurt Rambis, good role player who does the small things. He can start sure, but not when you have a Jamaal Wilkes, Kuzma for comparison sakes.
epak
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Dec 06, 2017 10:50 am    Post subject:

defense wrote:

The worst PF on the team leads in everything, even the stats that favor stat stuffers/scorers. These stats must be useless...

Also, Monta Ellis and Davis Lee who played for the warriors used to put up big numbers and lose a whole lot, think about it. I'm not saying Larry is better than Randle or Kuzma, but I am saying you guys really need to stop using him as cop out. He has more than earned his 24 minutes a game. Direct your irrational comments somewhere else. I hear Luke has room.

Interesting.
The Juggernaut
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Dec 06, 2017 12:11 pm    Post subject:

defense wrote:

Our best lineup according to the advanced stats is with Randle and Kuz in the front court with BI, Ball, and KCP.
av3773
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Dec 06, 2017 12:14 pm    Post subject:

Nance would look a lot better if we had some consistent and reliable scoring from the other players...since we don't I agree we should start Kuz ahead of Nance...personally I think Randle should start ahead of Lopez...but hey who knows
Nash Vegas
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Dec 06, 2017 12:35 pm    Post subject:

The Juggernaut wrote:
defense wrote:

Our best lineup according to the advanced stats is with Randle and Kuz in the front court with BI, Ball, and KCP.

Yup.

Only stat fans care about:

Lakes record with Kuzma starting: 5-6
Lakes record with Nance starting: 3-9

All these BPM, RPM, DRP, PMS, whatever, all these numbers mean NOTHING if Lakers are just LOSING.

Apparently something is still wrong on the other side of these stats. Nance may have higher blah-blah-A stat over Randle/Kuzma, but he has other blah-blah-B stat that is much lower than theirs which is why it hasn't translated to winning.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> General Basketball Discussion All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 203, 204, 205 ... 219, 220, 221  Next
Page 204 of 221
Jump to: