Better chance: Lakers fire Luke or the team making a big trade?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
lakersken80
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Dec 04, 2017 10:37 pm    Post subject:

audioaxes wrote:
Given the magnitude the Lakers put on hiring Luke I cant see how the Lakers can fire him this season. It will just look very bad that the Lakers wont give a promising coach atleast 2 years to try to turn things around.

I wouldn't be surprised if another team picks him up and they succeed if he's fired from the Lakers.
dont_be_a_wuss
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Dec 04, 2017 11:19 pm    Post subject:

epak wrote:
Trade.
I DM Magic every week telling him Luke is doing a great job.

Sheeit, Magic follows you?
blackmamba08
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Dec 04, 2017 11:34 pm    Post subject:

Trade of course. No chance Lakers are firing Luke. For what. This team is crap anyway.
Trade has to happen soon. Everything not including Ingram, Kuzma and Ball is option for me. I had Nance in this group but his game is average at best. Offensively he is garbage.
mporter
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Tue Dec 05, 2017 2:28 am    Post subject:

There won't be a coaching change in-season. If Lebron is really in play (which I don't think is the case based on the on-court product), you give him the opportunity to choose his coach (Fisdale unless the Clips hire him first?).
matigol
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Tue Dec 05, 2017 6:42 am    Post subject:

Inspector Gadget wrote:
I think Lakers will give Luke until the ASB to turn the team around or he’s out.

Turn the team around? What did you expect from our roster? WCF?

The talent still not there to be a playoff team. If we're nontheless going to make the playoffs, it would be an awesome coaching result.
LakerSD
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Dec 05, 2017 6:57 am    Post subject:

mporter wrote:
There won't be a coaching change in-season. If Lebron is really in play (which I don't think is the case based on the on-court product), you give him the opportunity to choose his coach (Fisdale unless the Clips hire him first?).

Yeah, I see it the same way. Don’t think Lebron is coming. If Fisdale is hired by the lakers, that’s probably a clue that Lebron had a hand in organizing his next workplace.
Inspector Gadget
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Dec 05, 2017 7:29 am    Post subject:

matigol wrote:
Inspector Gadget wrote:
I think Lakers will give Luke until the ASB to turn the team around or he’s out.

The talent still not there to be a playoff team. If we're nontheless going to make the playoffs, it would be an awesome coaching result.

I think goal more then anything is seeing progress from month to month, that doesn't look like something that the team is doing.
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Dec 05, 2017 9:25 am    Post subject:

Is 0% > 0%?
activeverb
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Dec 05, 2017 9:57 am    Post subject:

Inspector Gadget wrote:
matigol wrote:
Inspector Gadget wrote:

I think goal more then anything is seeing progress from month to month, that doesn't look like something that the team is doing.

With a team of young players, who tend to go up and down, I wouldn't expect month to month improvement in a constant way.

The season is only 24 games old, and our schedule in the first 12 games was easier than the second 12 gamest, so it's not surprising they are struggling now. (I always thought the high early-season defensive lacking was due in part to weak competition and would steadily rise).

My hope is the young guys look better at the end of the season than they do at the start. But I consider it an ongoing process, and don't get worked up much about the day to day or week to week play. If we're not seeing much improvement by, oh, March that will be a concern. But I expected this team as a whole to look absolutely awful in December and my guess was they'd go 2-12 for the month.
Vandal08
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Tue Dec 05, 2017 10:26 am    Post subject:

WTF??

Luke isn't going anywhere. Give the guy a team. Rotations are due to inexperience. He'll sort all that out probably going into this road trip.

We can't consistently score. We need a scorer. A go to person who can create his own shot and provide shots for others. Honestly, I really don't like LJ but he would be a godsend to this team but we'd need one more running mate with him. Cousins? PG13? Who knows. Even if we add just Lebron, we'd be an instant top 3 more likely 4 seed in the West. We'd be better then everyone else except GS, HOU, SA.
danzag
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Dec 05, 2017 10:37 am    Post subject:

Inspector Gadget wrote:

And how do you know that?

FFS, STOP SAYING (bleep)
BynumForThree
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Dec 05, 2017 10:44 am    Post subject:

matigol wrote:
Inspector Gadget wrote:

He thought the Lakers would win 50 games this year.

For all of you out there questioning Jimmer Fredette of BYU, he is the real deal. - Magic Johnson Mar 20, 2011
Wino
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Dec 05, 2017 10:58 am    Post subject:

I don't think they will fire him this year. I think a couple of things would need to happen, like a top FA saying he would come here but doesn't like the coaching and perhaps has suggestions that are good ones.

I would be surprised of the Magic and Rob are not talking with others about it, even if it is only hypothetical.

They want the team to improve, they will constantly pursue others who might improve the team. Wouldn't be surprised if there are coaches who think they could actually do better than Luke, given the talent on the team What would keep them from contacting Magic or Rob to discuss problems and solutions??

I was hoping for better from this team, but Lonzo has come up shorter than I expected. I think he can be a decent piece but from what I see, Ingram and Kuz are the best players on this team followed by Randle. Pope, Nance and Clarkson are not far behind.

Our biggest needs are PG and Center. If we can end out with a great one of these at either position, we could likely fill the gap with what we have.

Would love to see Cousins, Ingram, Kuz, PG and Randle be our rotation in the front court. Keep Zubac to continue to develop him and pray he gets better. This would give us the depth we need for the front court. Trade everyone else to fill our back court needs. Right now we have Ball, Pope, Clarkson and Hart. Could probably use one more solid guard, especially a 3 point shooter. 3 and D would be awesome.

If Luke can't get a team like this to win, bring in someone else who can.
smoothazsilk
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Tue Dec 05, 2017 12:17 pm    Post subject:

Think the Lakers stand pat. They will not fire Luke, he will be given a chance.
But he needs to show he can get the most out this roster, which in my opinion he is not doing.
Would love them to get Boogie. i believe Ball is a piece, not the piece.
He will not carry a team but will make a good team better.
Bard207
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Dec 05, 2017 12:23 pm    Post subject:

Wino wrote:
I don't think they will fire him this year. I think a couple of things would need to happen, like a top FA saying he would come here but doesn't like the coaching and perhaps has suggestions that are good ones.

I would be surprised of the Magic and Rob are not talking with others about it, even if it is only hypothetical.

They want the team to improve, they will constantly pursue others who might improve the team. Wouldn't be surprised if there are coaches who think they could actually do better than Luke, given the talent on the team What would keep them from contacting Magic or Rob to discuss problems and solutions??

I was hoping for better from this team, but Lonzo has come up shorter than I expected. I think he can be a decent piece but from what I see, Ingram and Kuz are the best players on this team followed by Randle. Pope, Nance and Clarkson are not far behind.

Our biggest needs are PG and Center. If we can end out with a great one of these at either position, we could likely fill the gap with what we have.

Would love to see Cousins, Ingram, Kuz, PG and Randle be our rotation in the front court. Keep Zubac to continue to develop him and pray he gets better. This would give us the depth we need for the front court. Trade everyone else to fill our back court needs. Right now we have Ball, Pope, Clarkson and Hart. Could probably use one more solid guard, especially a 3 point shooter. 3 and D would be awesome.

Some in the coaching brotherhood consider it very poor etiquette to be soliciting for a head coaching position when the incumbent hasn't been let go yet.

The people at the top of the organization) should already have the following working for them:

* A fair amount of basketball knowledge themselves

* An analytics department for deeper analysis and comparisons to the rest of the teams in the league

* The right people already in the organization to do QC (Quality Control) of what is happening with the team

If the people at the top of the organization have to get analysis and suggestions for solutions from people outside the organization because they aren't able to get the right answers inhouse, then they need to be replaced.
Wino
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Dec 05, 2017 11:01 pm    Post subject:

Bard207 wrote:
Wino wrote:

Some in the coaching brotherhood consider it very poor etiquette to be soliciting for a head coaching position when the incumbent hasn't been let go yet.

The people at the top of the organization) should already have the following working for them:

* A fair amount of basketball knowledge themselves

* An analytics department for deeper analysis and comparisons to the rest of the teams in the league

* The right people already in the organization to do QC (Quality Control) of what is happening with the team

If the people at the top of the organization have to get analysis and suggestions for solutions from people outside the organization because they aren't able to get the right answers inhouse, then they need to be replaced.

Good point, I would agree. I pray that our organization is providing the analysis needed to make the right decisions going forward. I have gotten to used to the fact that we had little analytical understanding of the game and everything was done by the seat of the pants. I hope those days are largely over. It's good to have an innate understanding of the game and be able to recognize talent. That was what Jerry West was good at, but nowadays you have to have solid analytics.

We have never had that, no track record of having it. I know that Rob is doing his best to bring it to the Lakers but have not really heard much about what they have been able to accomplish with it.
trablos
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Dec 05, 2017 11:34 pm    Post subject:

Didn't we hire the league's head of analytics guy? Is there any information on this? Also what's Ryan West keeping busy with? Isn't he the head of player personnel? (not sure what that means) Supposedly Magic really likes Ryan so they should have some type of process outlined that they can rely on.
1hu2ren3dui4
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Dec 06, 2017 1:19 am    Post subject:

Luke is staying.
JeffreyRashad
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Wed Dec 06, 2017 2:23 am    Post subject:

crackadon wrote:
I knew who made this thread before even opening it.

Smh

My exact first thought
misterioso
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Wed Dec 06, 2017 5:33 am    Post subject:

I have no idea why anyone would think Luke's job is in jeopardy.

The oddsmakers had the Lakers projected at 32.5 wins prior to the start of the season. At 8-15, the Lakers project to 44 wins. From a pure optics standpoint, their defense is greatly improved. That in itself is an
great accomplishment. The Lakers had not played any defense in 4 years.

If the outside shots were falling and if they didn't have so many egregiously stupid turnovers, this team could easily be at 13-10 and right in the middle of the playoff chase.

I can't blame Luke because this team clearly lacks the physical and mental skills to win games. They don't have the fortitude to take over games night in and night out. They can barely sustain a strong effort for more than 1 quarter.

You need at least two or three superstars to win a ring; these superstars should have the ability to affect the outcome of a game by themselves. The Lakers have nothing resembling that; they don't even have anyone closely resembling an All-Star, let alone a superstar.

IMO, Luke is stays for the next 2 seasons. I think he'll be just fine handling superstar free agents.

Last edited by misterioso on Wed Dec 06, 2017 5:35 am; edited 1 time in total
PRLakeShow
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Dec 06, 2017 5:35 am    Post subject:

misterioso wrote:

The oddsmakers had the Lakers projected at 32.5 wins prior to the start of the season. At 8-15, the Lakers project to 44 wins. From a pure optics standpoint, their defense is greatly improved. That in itself is an

If the outside shots were falling and if they didn't have so many egregiously stupid turnovers, this team could easily have at 13-10 and right in the middle of the playoff chase.

I can't blame Luke because this team clearly lacks the physical and mental skills to win games. They don't have the fortitude to take over games night in and night out. They could barely sustain a strong effort for more than 1 quarter.

You need at least two or three superstars to win a ring; these superstars should have the ability to affect the outcome of a game by themselves. The Lakers have nothing resembling that; they don't even have anyone closely resembling an All-Star, let alone a superstar.

IMO, Luke is stays for the next 2 seasons. I think he'll be just fine handling superstar free agents.

misterioso
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Wed Dec 06, 2017 5:44 am    Post subject:

PRLakeShow wrote:
misterioso wrote:

If the outside shots were falling and if they didn't have so many egregiously stupid turnovers, this team could easily have at 13-10 and right in the middle of the playoff chase.

I can't blame Luke because this team clearly lacks the physical and mental skills to win games. They don't have the fortitude to take over games night in and night out. They could barely sustain a strong effort for more than 1 quarter.

DUH... Too early in the morning. 29 wins.

I'll still stay with Luke.
lakerican
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Dec 06, 2017 5:49 am    Post subject:

PRLakeShow wrote:
misterioso wrote:

PRlakeShow, fellow boricua, he just did an error in the Math.
He took 8/15 = X/82 giving a result of 44 wins. The correct way is 8/23 = X/82 giving 28 wins. we are in a pace for 28 wins and will get worse.
Wino
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Dec 06, 2017 11:14 am    Post subject:

it was a funny error, though an easy one to make.

But dang, we need something to laugh at!!!

It's all good, anyone could have made the same mistake.

I picked a bad day to quit sniffing glue!!!
av3773
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Dec 06, 2017 12:12 pm    Post subject:

Definitely trade...I suspect we have a lot of players we'd part with at the trade deadline for the right deal

Lopez, KCP, JC, Randle, Nance, Ennis, Brewer, Deng, Zubac...wouldn't be surprised to see some combination of those players going out
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3
Jump to: