LiAngelo Ball arrested in China for Shoplifting (could face 3-10 years prison)
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 9, 10, 11

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> General Basketball Discussion Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Steve007
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Dec 06, 2017 2:28 pm    Post subject:

dont_be_a_wuss wrote:
Maybe I didn't read the story close enough, but the reasoning as to why LiAngelo wouldn't be able to make it in Europe was because some team owner/executive made a joke about him being a shoplifter on twitter? Doesn't seem like a convincing reason.

The reasoning was that few people his age make it in Europe, and LiAngelo isn’t even special for a guy his age. Some question if he is even good enough to be on UCLA. The coach wouldn’t be laughing at him if he was the special talent that Lavar thinks he is.
PHILosophize
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Dec 06, 2017 2:43 pm    Post subject:

there's a quote from I believe a scout out there who says he is basically a mid-major type of talent
CandyCanes
Retired Number
Retired Number

Location: Santa Clarita, CA (Hell) ->>>>>Ithaca, NY -≥≥≥≥≥Berkeley, CA

PostPosted: Wed Dec 06, 2017 2:59 pm    Post subject:

PHILosophize wrote:
there's a quote from I believe a scout out there who says he is basically a mid-major type of talent

Who? Even most second round picks are considered star players on their NCAA teams. LiAngelo was not even a starter.

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
70sdude
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Dec 06, 2017 3:47 pm    Post subject:

CandyCanes wrote:
PHILosophize wrote:

Who? Even most second round picks are considered star players on their NCAA teams. LiAngelo was not even a starter.

Not just not a starter, he suited up for UCLA once, for an exhibition game.
PHILosophize
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Dec 06, 2017 3:59 pm    Post subject:

CandyCanes wrote:
PHILosophize wrote:

Mike Schmitz
Bol
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Dec 06, 2017 5:49 pm    Post subject:

Wasn't he like the 250th ranked recruit in his class? I guess sometimes someone comes out of nowhere to make it to the league, but he wasn't exactly a low profile player, he probably was scouted pretty thoroughly. Hope he's not counting too much on the NBA dream.
lakersken80
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Dec 06, 2017 7:23 pm    Post subject:

Well, I guess this pretty much seals the deal for Lamelo Ball.
http://ftw.usatoday.com/2017/12/lamelo-lavar-liangelo-ball-ucla-agent-overseas-pro-eligibility-harrison-gaines
Steve007
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Dec 06, 2017 7:33 pm    Post subject:

I guess we’re all supposed to be excited now.

Quote:
”The grand plan stays the same: All these boys are going to get on the Lakers. Watch how I do this. People will look up and they say, `Wow, how’d they all get on the Lakers?”’

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.foxsports.com/college-basketball/story/lavar-ball-withdrawing-suspended-son-to-prepare-for-nba-120517%3famp=true
dont_be_a_wuss
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Dec 06, 2017 7:36 pm    Post subject:

You guys think he is trying to attach Gelo to Melo in these dealings?
PHILosophize
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Dec 06, 2017 8:01 pm    Post subject:

dont_be_a_wuss wrote:
You guys think he is trying to attach Gelo to Melo in these dealings?

probably his best bet tbh
rwongega
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Dec 06, 2017 8:40 pm    Post subject:

lakersken80 wrote:
http://ftw.usatoday.com/2017/12/lamelo-lavar-liangelo-ball-ucla-agent-overseas-pro-eligibility-harrison-gaines

LaMelo was already on thin ice with the shoe endorsement. Signing an agent completely kills any chance of playing in the NCAA. Lavar has torpedoed his remaining son's careers. The only way LiAngelo ever gets to the Lakers is buy Lonzo paying for his ticket to watch.

RIP Jonathan Tang
RIP Alex Gruenberg

Free KBCB
dont_be_a_wuss
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Dec 06, 2017 9:04 pm    Post subject:

I don't know much about the logistics. Did LaMelo necessarily sign with an agent? Like in "He Got Game", or in the real life situation of guys who were weighing options between college and pros before the 1 year rule, are agents allowed to gauge interest from teams before they take the signing meeting with players to tell them they are confident they can get a deal IF they design to sign with them?
adkindo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Dec 06, 2017 9:20 pm    Post subject:

CandyCanes wrote:
PHILosophize wrote:

Mid-Major as in college...like schools in the WAC, SunBelt or Ivy League conference.
adkindo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Dec 06, 2017 9:24 pm    Post subject:

lakersken80 wrote:

report out today from Europe FO exec's claiming that a Ball family rep has been reaching out to teams....and received little to no interest from teams in the top tier leagues. Mentioned at best LiAngelo and LaMelo would be looking at 3rd Tier leagues in Europe....or leagues in places like South America or the Middle East....but claimed those only pay about $1500 - $2,000 a month. Cannot see Lavar sending them there for that little money.
lakersken80
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Dec 06, 2017 9:27 pm    Post subject:

adkindo wrote:
CandyCanes wrote:
PHILosophize wrote:

Mid-Major as in college...like schools in the WAC, SunBelt or Ivy League conference.

I'm not surprised he isn't going to another school....to be honest I think a lot of this was an ego thing. Lavar couldn't dictate when LiAngelo could be re-instated so he took his Ball home. Going to a mid-major would be a step down from UCLA since it wouldn't be in the LA television market, and his son would be even further from home and away from Lavar's meddling ways.
adkindo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Dec 06, 2017 9:33 pm    Post subject:

Tim Legler was on NBA Radio today going off about how it is becoming apparent that Lavar does not respect or appreciate people....even when they help his kids. Obviously mentioned how he acted about the President helping get LiAngelo home....but also pointed out UCLA and the Lakers.

UCLA offered and stood behind their scholarship offers to his sons, when clearly LiAngelo was not their typical level of talent recruited...and has only had positive things to say about his family including helping sell teams on Lonzo in the draft process....yet the first time he does not get his way, he attacks the school and does not even have enough decency to tell the coaching staff LiAngelo is leaving.

Similar for the Lakers....Legler pointed out that Lonzo is actually playing far more minutes than he has earned....and the Lakers including Luke have heavily promoted Lonzo....yet Lavar throws tantrums and makes disparaging remarks about the team and coaching.

Legler also questioned how this does not trickle down to the sons on some level.....pointing out that LiAngelo is an adult, and also did not do the mature thing in telling Alford he was leaving the program.
adkindo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Dec 06, 2017 9:37 pm    Post subject:

lakersken80 wrote:
adkindo wrote:
CandyCanes wrote:
PHILosophize wrote:

I'm not surprised he isn't going to another school....to be honest I think a lot of this was an ego thing. Lavar couldn't dictate when LiAngelo could be re-instated so he took his Ball home. Going to a mid-major would be a step down from UCLA since it wouldn't be in the LA television market, and his son would be even further from home and away from Lavar's meddling ways.

Oakland University coach says he would take him.

Quote:
Greg Kampe

@KampeOU

I'd take him in a minute. https://twitter.com/rodstone55/status/937837859167526914
8:56 PM - Dec 4, 2017
lakersken80
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Dec 06, 2017 9:44 pm    Post subject:

Yeah....I don't think thats happening....Michigan is pretty far from California....and just remember the press release said it was Lavar that pulled him out of school, so we know who is calling the shots.
Runway8
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Dec 06, 2017 11:20 pm    Post subject:

https://www.yahoo.com/sports/m/d149ed83-2754-3a20-ac47-7dcf77318afe/ss_fs1%27s-jason-whitlock-accuses.html

Liangelo claiming he only followed along. According to Whitlock, credit card decline lead to Gelo shoplifting, and he was the only one to shoplift from all 3 shops. If true, dang throwing your teammates under the bus like that, and with a lie. Then again, I guess it was easy to do since he was driving the bus out of town anyway.... SMH, this family. I truly hope Lonzo is really the good guy that he projects to be and will work hard.
Runway8
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Dec 06, 2017 11:27 pm    Post subject:

Steve007 wrote:

Quote:
”The grand plan stays the same: All these boys are going to get on the Lakers. Watch how I do this. People will look up and they say, `Wow, how’d they all get on the Lakers?”’

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.foxsports.com/college-basketball/story/lavar-ball-withdrawing-suspended-son-to-prepare-for-nba-120517%3famp=true

Yeah, no thanks. I think we already have their one and only real deal. Gelo is a few years from being a few years from being a few years from being a few years away. LaMelo has a chance, but the kid is alergic to defense, so we'll see...
CandyCanes
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Dec 07, 2017 12:42 am    Post subject:

adkindo wrote:
CandyCanes wrote:
PHILosophize wrote:

Oh. Even the best player on an Ivy League team wouldn't even be a late second round pick in most cases, so that really isn't saying much...

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
PHILosophize
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Dec 07, 2017 7:10 am    Post subject:

CandyCanes wrote:
adkindo wrote:
CandyCanes wrote:
PHILosophize wrote:

Oh. Even the best player on an Ivy League team wouldn't even be a late second round pick in most cases, so that really isn't saying much...

Mike Schmitz was not giving Liangelo high praise when he made that quote.
LongBeachPoly
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Dec 07, 2017 9:56 am    Post subject:

Runway8 wrote:
Steve007 wrote:

Quote:

Yeah, no thanks. I think we already have their one and only real deal. Gelo is a few years from being a few years from being a few years from being a few years away. LaMelo has a chance, but the kid is alergic to defense, so we'll see...

According to at least one scout, LaMelo's a better all around player than Lonzo.
Gatekeeper
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Dec 08, 2017 10:45 am    Post subject:

Gatekeeper wrote:
Lavar: "Gelo will drop out of UCLA with immediate effect and play for the Shanghai Sharks this season; all personal earnings will go to the Chinese government."

CandyCanes
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Dec 08, 2017 11:00 am    Post subject:

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/early-lead/wp/2017/12/07/lavar-ball-trolls-trump-with-gif-of-him-dunking-on-the-president/?utm_term=.3257306df2a3

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> General Basketball Discussion All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 9, 10, 11
Page 11 of 11
Jump to: