OFFICIAL 2018 FREE AGENCY THREAD (7/24 Update: LAL Has Full 15 Man Roster; p.1 - Remaining FAs, Notable Expiring Contracts & Lakers' 2019 Cap)
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 189, 190, 191 ... 2678, 2679, 2680  Next

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Topic HOF This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.
View previous topic :: View next topic  
PHILosophize
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Dec 06, 2017 7:59 pm    Post subject:

Lebron, however, has not - him signing with us is pipe for sure
Robster8989
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Dec 06, 2017 8:03 pm    Post subject:

Joe Pesci wrote:
I don’t think George would leave 10 mill on the table then ... “I’m out.”

If anything, all three free agent signings would agree to all shave 3 or 4 mill off their salaries, but to ask one guy to make the sacrifice, for 10 million mind you, is unrealistic IMO.

Yes, he'd want the opt out to coincide with his 10 year max, so he can get 35% instead of 30% of the cap, regardless of where he is.
But you're likely right, maybe each guy takes a bit less to make it happen.
Unlikely but possible.

West Point '88
UCLA '92
75th Ranger Regiment '88-'04
Joe Pesci
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Dec 06, 2017 8:05 pm    Post subject:

Free agent acquisition talk, for me, begins and ends with the Paul George rumors that began last season.

I believe their true and I’d be absolutely satisfied with just George.

As far as the James talk, there are obviously rumors here as well, although less believable. I think the chances are good for James because I think he sees the fit here working. I think he knows Cleveland is fading fast and playing with another dynamic star and a cupboard full of talented pups (Randle, Ball, Ingram, and Kuz), I think will be the appeal.

Winning this year would be ideal, to say the least, but on the other end, I could see James liking the narrative of him coming here on a white horse to revive the old sunken franchise.

He’s a big picture thinker, for sure.
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Dec 06, 2017 8:10 pm    Post subject:

PHILosophize wrote:
paul george via his agent has made it clear he wants to go to LA, MJST

He made it clear he wanted out of Indy and used us for leverage. It remains to be seen what his next step is, and that might depend on how good OKC does in the playoffs.
fontana3d
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Dec 06, 2017 8:16 pm    Post subject:

Joe Pesci wrote:
Free agent acquisition talk, for me, begins and ends with the Paul George rumors that began last season.

I believe their true and I’d be absolutely satisfied with just George.

As far as the James talk, there are obviously rumors here as well, although less believable. I think the chances are good for James because I think he sees the fit here working. I think he knows Cleveland is fading fast and playing with another dynamic star and a cupboard full of talented pups (Randle, Ball, Ingram, and Kuz), I think will be the appeal.

Winning this year would be ideal, to say the least, but on the other end, I could see James liking the narrative of him coming here on a white horse to revive the old sunken franchise.

He’s a big picture thinker, for sure.

The Cleveland is not fading away thanks to their win streak, and I won't be surprised if the Cavs get George at the deadline and try to resign him in the off-season.
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Dec 06, 2017 8:24 pm    Post subject:

By the way Robster, you are one who I believe reads the OKC situation correctly. I think they prefer to re-sign George but would rather him walk than to take salary in return.
Joe Pesci
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Dec 06, 2017 8:29 pm    Post subject:

Cleveland is “fading” because of age. Theyre old — one of the reasons he left Miami.

Every time there’s been a question of JAmes leaving a team, he has.

So I think the question should really be where he’ll go, not if he’ll go.
Robster8989
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Dec 06, 2017 8:34 pm    Post subject:

venturalakersfan wrote:
By the way Robster, you are one who I believe reads the OKC situation correctly. I think they prefer to re-sign George but would rather him walk than to take salary in return.

Why thank you, sir.
I think this 3 star idea is HIGHLY unlikely, just that it is possible.
But yes, the best scenario for them is to resign obviously. Next best is to get cap relief, and picks, and the opt in and trade option does give them that.
The tricky thing for our FO is do you risk moving good players, like JC and JR, for the possibility of hitting it big in FA. Then what if you whiff? I know that is you're concern as a longtime Laker fan.

West Point '88
UCLA '92
cal1piggy
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Dec 06, 2017 8:35 pm    Post subject:

if somehow george gets traded to lakers and he does not opt out, are the lakers able to give him an extension AFTER signing the other free agents in the summer? can the extension give him a raise for 2018?
LakerSD
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Dec 06, 2017 8:38 pm    Post subject:

Joe Pesci wrote:
Cleveland is “fading” because of age. Theyre old — one of the reasons he left Miami.

Things might change with IT but this is a fools gold type of streak imo. They are barely beating some pretty bad teams along the way. It’s basically Lebron just taking over and willing wins. They just seem too old to me and have that “it will catch up to them” feel.

Maybe they hold off the Celtics or some other east team this season, but they definitely are on the down swing. I’m sure Lebron is looking at Boston and Philly and thinking no chance unless they get a blue chip kid with that nets pick or another star (Boogie?) via trading that pick.
MJST
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Dec 06, 2017 8:44 pm    Post subject:

PHILosophize wrote:
paul george via his agent has made it clear he wants to go to LA, MJST

And then once he got to OKC he started talking about how young and away the Lakers are.

George got what he wanted. He used the Lakers name, lowered his value enough so that the team that traded for him didn't get rid of the barn because of that, and wound up in OKC with last years MVP and Carmelo.

So yeah, George isn't the first to use the Lakers name and get that, and won't be the last.

Don't be the one when George decides on the best winning situation for himself his off-season that's left going "But ... but he promised!!" Because we've seen it happen so many times it's easy to understand and see what max level free agents prioritize over all else.

Last edited by MJST on Wed Dec 06, 2017 8:45 pm; edited 1 time in total
Joe Pesci
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Dec 06, 2017 8:44 pm    Post subject:

Robster8989 wrote:
venturalakersfan wrote:

Why thank you, sir.
But yes, the best scenario for them is to resign obviously. Next best is to get cap relief, and picks, and the opt in and trade option does give them that.
The tricky thing for our FO is do you risk moving good players, like JC and JR, for the possibility of hitting it big in FA. Then what if you whiff? I know that is you're concern as a longtime Laker fan.

If the only thing lost is Clarkson, I’d say they gave it the old college try, then turn the page with youth.

But losing Clarkson (and Russell) is worth the chance at James and George, especially this summer. There will be very few teams that will be players in free agency this summer — much less competition.
MJST
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Dec 06, 2017 8:46 pm    Post subject:

Joe Pesci wrote:

yeah but what if Cleveland never loses their pick and it becomes the Number 1 pick? That would pretty much be leverage and then they don't have to worry about paying Isaiah Thomas.

Stuff like that matters.

Imagine if Cleveland got Ayton or Bagley or had them or Doncic as a trade chip....
Joe Pesci
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Dec 06, 2017 8:50 pm    Post subject:

Scratch Boston and Philadelphia off that list of possible landing spots for James. Bad fit in Philadelphia. Boston’s pretty obvious.
Bard207
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Dec 06, 2017 8:50 pm    Post subject:

cal1piggy wrote:
if somehow george gets traded to lakers and he does not opt out, are the lakers able to give him an extension AFTER signing the other free agents in the summer? can the extension give him a raise for 2018?

You asked about an extension, but what you described for the 2018 - 19 season appears to be more of a renegotiation.

59. Can existing contracts be renegotiated?

Quote:

A contract for four or more seasons can be renegotiated after the third anniversary of its signing, extension, or previous renegotiation (if the previous negotiation increased any season's salary by more than 5%). Contracts for fewer than four seasons cannot be renegotiated. A contract cannot be renegotiated between March 1 and June 30 of any year.

Only teams under the cap can renegotiate a contract, and the salary in the then-current season can be increased only to the extent that the team has room under the cap
(and cannot increase the player's salary beyond the maximum salary). A renegotiation can only be used to provide a salary increase -- players can't take a "pay cut" in order to create more cap room for the team...

...A renegotiated contract can be extended simultaneously (see question number 58). If a player's contract is extended and renegotiated simultaneously in this manner, his salary may not decrease by more than 40% from the last season before the extension (after it is renegotiated) to the first season of the extension. For example, if the salary in the last season of a contract is renegotiated to $10 million and the contract is simultaneously extended, the salary in the first season of the extension cannot be less than $6 million.

Other rules for renegotiations:

A signing bonus cannot accompany a renegotiation unless the contract is extended simultaneously (see question number 58).

A renegotiation cannot lead to any season having an unlikely bonus greater than 15% of the player's regular salary for that season.

A rookie scale contract (see question number 47) cannot be renegotiated.

A contract cannot be renegotiated in conjunction with a trade.

Two-Way contracts (see question number 82) cannot be renegotiated.
cal1piggy
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Dec 06, 2017 8:53 pm    Post subject:

Bard207 wrote:
cal1piggy wrote:

You asked about an extension, but what you described for the 2018 - 19 season appears to be more of a renegotiation.

59. Can existing contracts be renegotiated?

Quote:

A contract for four or more seasons can be renegotiated after the third anniversary of its signing, extension, or previous renegotiation (if the previous negotiation increased any season's salary by more than 5%). Contracts for fewer than four seasons cannot be renegotiated. A contract cannot be renegotiated between March 1 and June 30 of any year.

Only teams under the cap can renegotiate a contract, and the salary in the then-current season can be increased only to the extent that the team has room under the cap
(and cannot increase the player's salary beyond the maximum salary). A renegotiation can only be used to provide a salary increase -- players can't take a "pay cut" in order to create more cap room for the team...

...A renegotiated contract can be extended simultaneously (see question number 58). If a player's contract is extended and renegotiated simultaneously in this manner, his salary may not decrease by more than 40% from the last season before the extension (after it is renegotiated) to the first season of the extension. For example, if the salary in the last season of a contract is renegotiated to $10 million and the contract is simultaneously extended, the salary in the first season of the extension cannot be less than $6 million.

Other rules for renegotiations:

A signing bonus cannot accompany a renegotiation unless the contract is extended simultaneously (see question number 58).

A renegotiation cannot lead to any season having an unlikely bonus greater than 15% of the player's regular salary for that season.

A rookie scale contract (see question number 47) cannot be renegotiated.

A contract cannot be renegotiated in conjunction with a trade.

Two-Way contracts (see question number 82) cannot be renegotiated.

Thanks, no loophole...
I was thinking we trade for him, he does not opt out, and then later in the summer we give him a max extension that raises 2018 to 31M.
Robster8989
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Dec 06, 2017 8:58 pm    Post subject:

Joe Pesci wrote:
Robster8989 wrote:
venturalakersfan wrote:

Why thank you, sir.

If the only thing lost is Clarkson, I’d say they gave it the old college try, then turn the page with youth.

But losing Clarkson (and Russell) is worth the chance at James and George, especially this summer. There will be very few teams that will be players in free agency this summer — much less competition.

I agree.
Even if we just get PG, and have cap left to go after B free agents that fit (like Avery Bradley, JJ Redick etc), I'd still consider the off season a success.

West Point '88
UCLA '92
Robster8989
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Dec 06, 2017 9:00 pm    Post subject:

Joe Pesci wrote:
Robster8989 wrote:
venturalakersfan wrote:

Why thank you, sir.

Joe, VLF, thank you for the good conversation.
I appreciate both of your opinions!

West Point '88
UCLA '92
adkindo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Dec 06, 2017 9:09 pm    Post subject:

Robster8989 wrote:
I agree.
Even if we just get PG, and have cap left to go after B free agents that fit (like Avery Bradley, JJ Redick etc), I'd still consider the off season a success.

as I have stated before....I would love to sign Paul George....get Deng to take a buyout (<$30M) and stretch him.....keep Randle or Clarkson.....a find a way to fit both KCP and Noel into the equation. They would both have to fit into about $22M-$24M.

The other option would be to keep Randle and Clarkson....and one of KCP or Noel.
durden-tyler
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Dec 06, 2017 9:18 pm    Post subject:

Like KCP and Noel, but they are not players for championship teams IMO, at least not at the salary they will ask for, probably around 20M$...
Joe Pesci
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Dec 06, 2017 9:21 pm    Post subject:

MJST wrote:
Joe Pesci wrote:

yeah but what if Cleveland never loses their pick and it becomes the Number 1 pick? That would pretty much be leverage and then they don't have to worry about paying Isaiah Thomas.

Stuff like that matters.

Imagine if Cleveland got Ayton or Bagley or had them or Doncic as a trade chip....

Excellent point. The question becomes is James and Love with Ayton/Bagley better than James and George with Kuzma ... Ingram ... Randle ... and Ball.

The Lakers are still a better option than Cleveland even with the pick.
greek laker
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Wed Dec 06, 2017 9:50 pm    Post subject:

after 4 painful years of watching this forum, it was about time to register.
i think our main focus should be to sign cousins and keep all the young guns.
We should take a look at PG and LBJ without tearing apart our young core. of
course if you can sign two max, its ok, we are immediately back to the road of winning but we shouldnt wait somatrhing like that to happen. We already took a step back with the despicable signings of Deng and Moz, which cost us D Angelo. If that was the price ok even though i m not sure if Maginka really had to pull the trigger. Right now from that point, give time to coach and team. Eventually it will come down to 2 possible scenarios.
1) An all star player decides to sign. It will happen, the only question is when. 2018?2019?2020?It will happen, until then keep and develop your young players and stop giving rental players big playing time.
2) Via draft we will eventually find that cornerstone player, even if we take as granted that BI and Lonzo are not that cornerstone.
Until then , please MAGINKA dont do anything crazy, we already have a bull
in a chinese shop (JR), we dont need a F.O. like that too!
Hi , LG , i hope that there will be a time, when Lonzo and Brandon will getting ready for the traditional champions parade and i ll be thinking these dark days of December 2017, when i first wrote my thoughts here
lakerlynx
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Wed Dec 06, 2017 10:29 pm    Post subject:

greek laker wrote:
course if you can sign two max, its ok, we are immediately back to the road of winning but we shouldnt wait somatrhing like that to happen. We already took a step back with the despicable signings of Deng and Moz, which cost us D Angelo. If that was the price ok even though i m not sure if Maginka really had to pull the trigger. Right now from that point, give time to coach and team. Eventually it will come down to 2 possible scenarios.
1) An all star player decides to sign. It will happen, the only question is when. 2018?2019?2020?It will happen, until then keep and develop your young players and stop giving rental players big playing time.
2) Via draft we will eventually find that cornerstone player, even if we take as granted that BI and Lonzo are not that cornerstone.
Hi , LG , i hope that there will be a time, when Lonzo and Brandon will getting ready for the traditional champions parade and i ll be thinking these dark days of December 2017, when i first wrote my thoughts here

Welcome!
scoobs
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Dec 06, 2017 11:10 pm    Post subject:

lakerlynx wrote:
greek laker wrote:

Welcome!
Come on man!!! That guy ain't new. He is one of the LG regulars acting like they made a second account. It was a great try...now..who is it?
greek laker
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Wed Dec 06, 2017 11:22 pm    Post subject:

i dont know if thats a compliment but i ll take it. I thought my bad english would be enough to prove i m new member! Maybe i look like an old member
because i watch that forum for so long but believe me my greeklish will persuade you!
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Topic HOF All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 189, 190, 191 ... 2678, 2679, 2680  Next
Page 190 of 2680
Jump to: