OFFICIAL BRANDON INGRAM THREAD
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 800, 801, 802 ... 1883, 1884, 1885  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> General Basketball Discussion Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
epak
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Dec 06, 2017 4:41 pm    Post subject:

Apart from shooting:

Player A: TRB% 11, AST% 29, STL% 1.9, BLK% 2.0, TOV% 19.3, VORP 0.2
Player B: TRB% 8.5, AST% 13, STL% 1.3, BLK% 1.9, TOV% 14.0, VORP 0.0
TheBlackMamba
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Dec 06, 2017 5:43 pm    Post subject:

epak wrote:
Apart from shooting:

Player A: TRB% 11, AST% 29, STL% 1.9, BLK% 2.0, TOV% 19.3, VORP 0.2
Player B: TRB% 8.5, AST% 13, STL% 1.3, BLK% 1.9, TOV% 14.0, VORP 0.0

I just patted myself on the back for guessing Player A correctly

That block percentage, which nearly threw me off, is crazy.
LakerSanity

PostPosted: Wed Dec 06, 2017 5:55 pm    Post subject:

manlisten wrote:
Did I say that you argued that he hasn't progressed? You better take it down a notch before I get LakerSanity to read you the riot act

Posting here is a privilege, not a right. Hopefully you will realize that when you come back from your 3 day suspension.

Twitter: @DeleteThisPost
LakerSanity

PostPosted: Wed Dec 06, 2017 6:03 pm    Post subject:

GoldenThroat wrote:
TheBlackMamba wrote:
Is it fair to say that he's improved significantly as an individual scorer from where he was at this point last year, but his lack of a jumpshot and tendency to ISO (without good shooters to kick out to on his drives) are what play into his negative offensive box score plus/minus metrics since both are detrimental to the team's offensive flow and efficiency? I don't think it's just his own shooting that holds back his impact, but the lack of shooting around him, which is obviously a team-wide issue. Put shooters around him and space the floor better, all of a sudden we're much better positioned to play off of his driving ability, which is really his one gift on offense and something that's worked well for him individually even without spacing.

Jeremias Engelmann (the guy who came up with RPM) addressed this the other day. He said that the two main factors in ORPM disliking Ingram are his poor A:TO ratio and the fact that the Lakers score 9 points per 100 possessions more when he's off of the court.

Those explanations amount to the same thing - a TO hurts your team probably more than just about anything you can do. Wastes an offensive possession for your team while giving the other team a statistically enhanced offensive possession. A double whammy.

Fortunately, turnovers also are an indication of youth and one of those things that tend to improve the most as one ages/gains more experience. Ingram has played more aggressively both as a scorer and a facility. He's exploring that role while also still trying to develop physically - those two factors explain a lot of turnovers. I don't see this problem being part of his long-term projection.

babyskyhook
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Dec 06, 2017 6:11 pm    Post subject:

Mike@LG wrote:
epak wrote:
Per 36:

Year 1: 11.7 pts, 5 rebs, 2.6 asst, 40% fg, 29% 3pt, 62% ft
Year 2: 17.1 pts, 5.8 rebs, 3.1 asst, 46% fg, 30% 3pt, 68% ft

That's pretty good. The thing that I thought would push him over to the Magic Johnson expectation was an increase in ftr. He's at .405 (5.6 fta per 36) compared to .312 (3.4 fta per 36) last year.

Just as a barometer, James Harden has a ftr of .43 this year; has been over .500 the last 7 years. I think the league cracking down on BS foul calls at the 3 point line is dropping his attempts.

That's elite development. It's so rare that it gets that good from year 1 to year 2.

Agreed. I don't understand the argument that the perception of his progress is due to his increase in minutes. The fact that his FG%, FT% and FTR have increased by approx 15%, 10% and 60% respectively tell me that he is indeed improving at a great clip given his age, and that lines up with eye test. Last time I looked at his other counting stats, they were all up substantially as well- far more than his increase in minutes.

The Lakers getting outscored by 9 points per 100 when he's on the court would seem to be at least partially because he spends a lot of time with Lonzo, Nance and Lopez. That starting lineup is brutal and is going to hurt anyone's numbers who is a part of it.

Isn't RPM also influenced by the players on the court with him ? Ingram may still very well be a net negative player, but I think being in the starting lineup plays a large part in that. Not surprising that he's part of our best lineup with JR, Kuz, KCP and Zo.

I don't think there's any doubt that he's progressing, regardless of minutes.

Edit- thinking about it some more, I do think one thing that is shaping our perceptions about BI's progress is that the in area he has grown the most (driving), he is converting at an elite rate (second only to Lebron the last time I looked), and he's been doing it consistently against some of the best defensive bigs in the NBA. It's also a very noticeable part of any game, and it leaves a vivid impression. And when contrasted with last year, when he wasn't strong enough or skilled enough to attack successfully in the same way he is this year, it makes his progress feel very real and tangible.

Last edited by babyskyhook on Wed Dec 06, 2017 6:25 pm; edited 1 time in total
babyskyhook
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Dec 06, 2017 6:17 pm    Post subject:

dao wrote:
the growth rate Ingram had at the end of last season has carried over to this season. He keeps getting better and better.

His numbers in the last 9 games:

19.1 ppg
6.4 rebounds
3.7 assists
56.0 TS%

That's the best stretch of his young career. These are outstanding numbers for a player his age, and he has so much more room for growth.

He seems to have taken it to another level lately. Hopefully he makes another couple of jumps before the end of the year, as I'm still hoping that BI can make my prediction from last spring of him winning the MIP this year come true.

Either way, I'm very happy with the consistent progress he keeps showing. If you put his career averages on a chart, it would look like a staircase, as he hits a level for a period of time, then moves up another level and stays there for a bit, then does it again. Keep climbing those stairs young man.
epak
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Dec 06, 2017 6:25 pm    Post subject:

babyskyhook wrote:
Mike@LG wrote:
epak wrote:
Per 36:

Year 1: 11.7 pts, 5 rebs, 2.6 asst, 40% fg, 29% 3pt, 62% ft
Year 2: 17.1 pts, 5.8 rebs, 3.1 asst, 46% fg, 30% 3pt, 68% ft

That's pretty good. The thing that I thought would push him over to the Magic Johnson expectation was an increase in ftr. He's at .405 (5.6 fta per 36) compared to .312 (3.4 fta per 36) last year.

Just as a barometer, James Harden has a ftr of .43 this year; has been over .500 the last 7 years. I think the league cracking down on BS foul calls at the 3 point line is dropping his attempts.

That's elite development. It's so rare that it gets that good from year 1 to year 2.

Agreed. I don't understand the argument that the perception of his progress is due to his increase in minutes. The fact that his FG%, FT% and FTR have increased by approx 15%, 10% and 60% respectively tell me that he is indeed improving at a great clip given his age, and that lines up with eye test. Last time I looked at his other counting stats, they were all up substantially as well- far more than his increase in minutes.

The Lakers getting outscored by 9 points per 100 when he's on the court would seem to be at least partially because he spends a lot of time with Lonzo, Nance and Lopez. That starting lineup is brutal and is going to hurt anyone's numbers who is a part of it.

Isn't RPM also influenced by the players on the court with him ? Ingram may still very well be a net negative player, but I think being in the starting lineup plays a large part in that. Not surprising that he's part of our best lineup with JR, Kuz, KCP and Zo.

I don't think there's any doubt that he's progressing, regardless of minutes.

I should have added this in the initial post:

year1: usg%: 16.8, fga per36: 10.8
year2: usg%: 21.8, fga per36: 13.8
silkwilkes
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Dec 06, 2017 6:44 pm    Post subject:

Look man... you can't disrespect a person who makes an argument based on analysis... which is how GT approaches things. You may disagree with his conclusion, which is fine. But to say that the data is wrong is just silly. The data is the data. What you interpolate from it is another thing.

As far as BI... he's fascinating because he instinctively wants to play within the flow of a team. But he does that to such an extreme extent where he doesn't exert his will on the game enough. In order to combat that, he's taken it to another extreme where he literally attacks in ISO now... and he's freakin effective at it. The result however, is that while his individual stats have gone through the roof, he's not impacting his team's effectiveness like say Kobe could. He never will. You would need to become a dominant 1v1 player to be able to do that.

So the next stage of evolution for him is to marry that individualism he's developed with the team concept so that is maximizes its impact on the team... and then you'll see all the analytics suddenly look very impressive.

I can't remember a young kid that went from one extreme to another like BI has lol.
Omar Little

PostPosted: Wed Dec 06, 2017 10:37 pm    Post subject:

silkwilkes wrote:
Look man... you can't disrespect a person who makes an argument based on analysis... which is how GT approaches things. You may disagree with his conclusion, which is fine. But to say that the data is wrong is just silly. The data is the data. What you interpolate from it is another thing.

As far as BI... he's fascinating because he instinctively wants to play within the flow of a team. But he does that to such an extreme extent where he doesn't exert his will on the game enough. In order to combat that, he's taken it to another extreme where he literally attacks in ISO now... and he's freakin effective at it. The result however, is that while his individual stats have gone through the roof, he's not impacting his team's effectiveness like say Kobe could. He never will. You would need to become a dominant 1v1 player to be able to do that.

So the next stage of evolution for him is to marry that individualism he's developed with the team concept so that is maximizes its impact on the team... and then you'll see all the analytics suddenly look very impressive.

I can't remember a young kid that went from one extreme to another like BI has lol.

Agreed on all of this.
SocalDevin
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Dec 06, 2017 10:43 pm    Post subject:

I wouldn't blame Ingram for his perceived occasional lack of tenacity offensively. I've seen the same thing with Kuz, where he's now passing up opportunities to create and score because Luke might be in their heads a little bit.

Ball move, and look for teammates is what he preaches. I think they're trying to find balance. Of the two I'm more comfortable with Kuz taking a higher volume and being a bit more selfish. I actually like where Ingram is right now with just letting the game come to him. As his ability increases so will his assertiveness.
greek laker
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Wed Dec 06, 2017 11:09 pm    Post subject:

he is a 25 pts, 10 rbs, 5 as player. Give him some time, desing and
execute 3 offensive systems around him and he ll deliver, this is
your cornerstone player, once he establishes a 3 pt consistently, everything else including max players will come.
After all, you know what? Indiana did manage to turn this bs thing with pg
in its favour, its unacceptable to sabotage your own players lonzo, BI, Kuzma
like we do.
DrDent
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Dec 06, 2017 11:18 pm    Post subject:

epak wrote:
The Juggernaut wrote:
GoldenThroat wrote:
defense wrote:
GoldenThroat wrote:
epak wrote:
I wouldn't have guessed at the start of the season that we'd have 4 guys: KCP, BI, Lonzo and Kuzma all averaging over 30 mpg.

2 rookies and a 1 year player at 30+ mpg.
That's insane. Rare to find a team with that recipe w/o a superstar going to the playoffs. But I still believe! hahah.

Yeah, it's quite a shift for Luke. JC led the team last year with 29.2mpg, and that'd be 5th most on the team this year.

Not sure where to go with this question so I'll just ask here. Quite a few people on LG believe the Lakers are a better team if Randle and Kuzma start next the Lonzo/KCP/Ingram. You mind giving me your opinion on this projected line up? I'm trying to figure out if I'm missing something because I think that line up wouldn't make us any better, maybe even worse.

Also can you give us your preferred starting line up?

I think that's our best lineup, and the numbers reflect that. That particular grouping has gotten the 4th most minutes of any 5-man unit. And I think you of all people would appreciate a particular stat category here.

https://i.imgur.com/Xa7FOzj.png

I think it alleviates some of the playmaking burden off of Lonzo, and allows the first unit to effectively switch everything, at least in most cases.

Ball/KCP/BI/JR/Kuz lineup is our best lineup by far. I don't know why Luke won't give them more burn let alone start them.

Seriously. Just start them, so we can know if that lineup is for real or not. I want to see if Jules can handle the workload at his high impact rate.

👍 And GT giving the stat approval to our eyeball test sealed the deal for me.

I think it was last week I was lamenting bad times ahead with Luke forcing what he wishes to be the starting lineup versus what should be (and unfortunately so far I've been right). Eyeball test also tells me a lineup with kuz gives BI more operating room to dissect a defense on his drives, and with randle on d allows better switching (caveat: randle v embiid not good)
DrDent
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Dec 06, 2017 11:20 pm    Post subject:

Omar Little wrote:
silkwilkes wrote:

Agreed on all of this.

MJST
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Dec 07, 2017 3:48 am    Post subject:

Brandon Ingram vs Andrew Wiggins Comparison Stats this year

https://www.basketball-reference.com/play-index/tiny.fcgi?id=cwaep
dao
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Dec 07, 2017 6:28 am    Post subject:

babyskyhook wrote:
dao wrote:
the growth rate Ingram had at the end of last season has carried over to this season. He keeps getting better and better.

19.1 ppg
6.4 rebounds
3.7 assists
56.0 TS%

That's the best stretch of his young career. These are outstanding numbers for a player his age, and he has so much more room for growth.

He seems to have taken it to another level lately. Hopefully he makes another couple of jumps before the end of the year, as I'm still hoping that BI can make my prediction from last spring of him winning the MIP this year come true.

Either way, I'm very happy with the consistent progress he keeps showing. If you put his career averages on a chart, it would look like a staircase, as he hits a level for a period of time, then moves up another level and stays there for a bit, then does it again. Keep climbing those stairs young man.
I would love to see a graph like that for Ingram, starting post all star break last year. Last year, his skeptics said that his vast improvements in the second half of the season were due to 1) him starting at such a low level and 2) decreased level of competition toward the end of the year as tanking teams hit the final tank stretch and as good teams rested starters, etc.

Well, the growth chart has continued into this season. He's on a 9 game stretch where he's putting up 19.1 ppg, on good shooting efficiency, while playing solid defense. For a 20 year old wing, that's fantastic. Point blank period.
dao
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Dec 07, 2017 6:44 am    Post subject:

silkwilkes wrote:

Ingram's lack of a three point shot really limits his effectiveness on a team that plays championship style basketball. Right now he is indeed playing like a young Derozan. I generally don't like this style player, though my favorite player of all time (Kobe) was actually a filthy rich man's version of Derozan.

2nd year Derozan's stats, at age 21, look pretty similar to Ingram's stats this year.

Derozan: 17.2 ppg....53.0 TS%.... -2.4 BPM

Ingram: 16.0 ppg....52.6 TS%..... -2.2 BPM

Ingram's numbers this year will continue to improve though. But the key difference between him and Derozan is defense. Ingram will be a very good defender in his prime, unlike Derozan.

Ingram really needs to add a three point shot to his game to be the type of player that can start on a championship team. I think he'll get there, he's still young AF. Ingram is also a more gifted passer than Derozan.

If we get Cousins and George this summer, then Ingram's three point shooting would be less of a requirement, short term at least. George/Kuzma/Cousins is gives us three shooters. Lonzo/Ingram, well hopefully one of them can get there (bleep) together by next year.
dao
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Dec 07, 2017 6:53 am    Post subject:

DrDent wrote:
epak wrote:
The Juggernaut wrote:
GoldenThroat wrote:
defense wrote:
GoldenThroat wrote:
epak wrote:
I wouldn't have guessed at the start of the season that we'd have 4 guys: KCP, BI, Lonzo and Kuzma all averaging over 30 mpg.

2 rookies and a 1 year player at 30+ mpg.
That's insane. Rare to find a team with that recipe w/o a superstar going to the playoffs. But I still believe! hahah.

Yeah, it's quite a shift for Luke. JC led the team last year with 29.2mpg, and that'd be 5th most on the team this year.

Not sure where to go with this question so I'll just ask here. Quite a few people on LG believe the Lakers are a better team if Randle and Kuzma start next the Lonzo/KCP/Ingram. You mind giving me your opinion on this projected line up? I'm trying to figure out if I'm missing something because I think that line up wouldn't make us any better, maybe even worse.

Also can you give us your preferred starting line up?

I think that's our best lineup, and the numbers reflect that. That particular grouping has gotten the 4th most minutes of any 5-man unit. And I think you of all people would appreciate a particular stat category here.

https://i.imgur.com/Xa7FOzj.png

I think it alleviates some of the playmaking burden off of Lonzo, and allows the first unit to effectively switch everything, at least in most cases.

Ball/KCP/BI/JR/Kuz lineup is our best lineup by far. I don't know why Luke won't give them more burn let alone start them.

Seriously. Just start them, so we can know if that lineup is for real or not. I want to see if Jules can handle the workload at his high impact rate.

👍 And GT giving the stat approval to our eyeball test sealed the deal for me.

I think it was last week I was lamenting bad times ahead with Luke forcing what he wishes to be the starting lineup versus what should be (and unfortunately so far I've been right). Eyeball test also tells me a lineup with kuz gives BI more operating room to dissect a defense on his drives, and with randle on d allows better switching (caveat: randle v embiid not good)

Agree that it's time to give Randle a turn at starting center. We NEED Kuzma in the starting lineup, and Nance/Randle is a poor fit. The question is whether or not Randle can handle starting centers without fouling out. He was fouling out per 36 last time I checked.
LakerSanity

PostPosted: Thu Dec 07, 2017 7:50 am    Post subject:

MJST wrote:

Definitely some similarities between Wiggins and Ingram, although I think Ingram has a little more between the ears and, while Wiggins until this year has shown better scoring ability, Ingram has already shown an ability to be a better all around player (and defender despite Wiggins' promise). Still, surprising to see the year Wiggins is having so far. You could argue Ingram has been better this season than him. That's pretty amazing, but says more about Wiggins than it does about Ingram.

yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Dec 07, 2017 7:52 am    Post subject:

LakerSanity wrote:
MJST wrote:

Definitely some similarities between Wiggins and Ingram, although I think Ingram has a little more between the ears and, while Wiggins until this year has shown better scoring ability, Ingram has already shown an ability to be a better all around player (and defender despite Wiggins' promise). Still, surprising to see the year Wiggins is having so far. You could argue Ingram has been better this season than him. That's pretty amazing, but says more about Wiggins than it does about Ingram.

Right now he has a lot of Wiggins/Droz in his game. The aggressive attacks to the rim and drawing contact. Pretty amazing that he relishes contact despite being a beanpole.
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Dec 07, 2017 8:05 am    Post subject:

silkwilkes wrote:

100000%
Dr. Funkbot
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Dec 07, 2017 8:19 am    Post subject:

babyskyhook wrote:
dao wrote:

19.1 ppg
6.4 rebounds
3.7 assists
56.0 TS%

Yes, I think this is why it is hard extrapolate one and done's ceilings based on their rookie year stats as many are wont to do on this board.

Just because a player is really bad in the NBA at age 19 does not mean they are a bust. Their progress is often non linear.
AFireInside619
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Dec 07, 2017 8:24 am    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:
LakerSanity wrote:
MJST wrote:

Right now he has a lot of Wiggins/Droz in his game. The aggressive attacks to the rim and drawing contact. Pretty amazing that he relishes contact despite being a beanpole.

Looks like it's safe to come back to the Ingram thread. 😂

I'm gonna say he reminds me of Paul Pierce when he was younger and enjoyed taking contact. At least until someone agrees or disagrees with me. 😂
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Dec 07, 2017 8:30 am    Post subject:

AFireInside619 wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:
LakerSanity wrote:
MJST wrote:

Looks like it's safe to come back to the Ingram thread. 😂

I'm gonna say he reminds me of Paul Pierce when he was younger and enjoyed taking contact. At least until someone agrees or disagrees with me. 😂

Pierce was thicker and stronger (one of my buddies played against him in college, former D-1 guy) than Ingram. Much better shooter too.
Dr. Funkbot
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Dec 07, 2017 8:38 am    Post subject:

LakerSanity wrote:
MJST wrote:

Wiggins has all the tools in the world, but lacks that elite work ethic, especially on the defensive end, to maximize them.
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Dec 07, 2017 8:41 am    Post subject:

What's "elite work ethic?" Wiggins is clearly putting in the work in the gym, look at his body now.

Are you talking about motor?
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> General Basketball Discussion All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 800, 801, 802 ... 1883, 1884, 1885  Next
Page 801 of 1885
Jump to: