Official MMA thread
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 417, 418, 419 ... 497, 498, 499  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Dec 06, 2017 8:55 am    Post subject:

Gimme_the_rock wrote:
dna. wrote:
Hell yeah congrats Max! Hawaii STAND UP!!

A friend of mine talked about how he thinks Max is one dimensional and just boxes every fight... But come on he beat ALDO soundly, TWICE, and made him fight his game, where he was most comfortable. I think Max's strength is not only his stand up but his ability to control the range and make his opponent fight HIS fight. Now we will see what happens if/when he fights someone who won't fight his fight and has the ability to put Max on his back...

Ngannou - give this man a title shot! Stipe better be watching a lot of film... I love the guy but he has his hands full with this up and coming BEAST

And that granite chin. Dude also eats punches like candy. It will be interesting to see Max face someone with similar range. He's been flirting openly with the idea of moving up but I think he's far better served staying precisely where he's at. If he gets past Edgar, he has chance to clean out the division a la Mighty only with much more fanfare.

The Predator is a scary mofo. Stipe is a game dude but even Reem caught him early, before the champ showed his mettle and fought his way back to the win. If Ngannou catches him, that's all she wrote. I'm interested to see the next guy who beats that dude.

It's no guarantee that T-City can get past Swanson this weekend, but if he does I wonder if he might be the guy who can get Max on his back? They have the same reach, though Max still has a 2 inch height advantage

Agreed. Stipe has to attack this the same way DC fought Rumble. Only problem is DC ate some shots in those fights, and Rumble wasn't even going all out in the second one. Ngannou has much more killer instinct than Rumble. If Stipe eats a hard hit it's lights out
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
Gimme_the_rock
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

Location: Looking outta the window, watching the asphalt grow ...

PostPosted: Wed Dec 06, 2017 10:15 am    Post subject:

22 wrote:
Gimme_the_rock wrote:
dna. wrote:

A friend of mine talked about how he thinks Max is one dimensional and just boxes every fight... But come on he beat ALDO soundly, TWICE, and made him fight his game, where he was most comfortable. I think Max's strength is not only his stand up but his ability to control the range and make his opponent fight HIS fight. Now we will see what happens if/when he fights someone who won't fight his fight and has the ability to put Max on his back...

Ngannou - give this man a title shot! Stipe better be watching a lot of film... I love the guy but he has his hands full with this up and coming BEAST

And that granite chin. Dude also eats punches like candy. It will be interesting to see Max face someone with similar range. He's been flirting openly with the idea of moving up but I think he's far better served staying precisely where he's at. If he gets past Edgar, he has chance to clean out the division a la Mighty only with much more fanfare.

The Predator is a scary mofo. Stipe is a game dude but even Reem caught him early, before the champ showed his mettle and fought his way back to the win. If Ngannou catches him, that's all she wrote. I'm interested to see the next guy who beats that dude.

It's no guarantee that T-City can get past Swanson this weekend, but if he does I wonder if he might be the guy who can get Max on his back? They have the same reach, though Max still has a 2 inch height advantage

Agreed. Stipe has to attack this the same way DC fought Rumble. Only problem is DC ate some shots in those fights, and Rumble wasn't even going all out in the second one. Ngannou has much more killer instinct than Rumble. If Stipe eats a hard hit it's lights out

I, personally, would have liked to have seen Cub get the title shot once Edgar went down. I think everyone knew what was coming in the Aldo rematch. Really not much reason to make that fight except for maybe out of respect to Jose. Two game warriors wouldn't gone at it.

But yeah, Ortega and Swanson should make for a nice scrap.

Last edited by Gimme_the_rock on Wed Dec 06, 2017 10:21 am; edited 1 time in total
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Dec 06, 2017 10:18 am    Post subject:

Gimme_the_rock wrote:
22 wrote:
Gimme_the_rock wrote:
dna. wrote:

I, personally, would have liked to have seen Cub get the title shot once Edgar went down. I think everyone knew what was coming in the Aldo rematch. Really not much reason to make that fight except for maybe out of respect to Jose. Two game warriors wouldn't gone at it.

agreed. This fight played out much like the first other than the fact that Aldo tried to utilize leg kicks this go round. Cub should def get the next title fight if he wins Saturday
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
Gimme_the_rock
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Dec 06, 2017 10:26 am    Post subject:

22 wrote:
This fight played out much like the first other than the fact that Aldo tried to utilize leg kicks this go round. Cub should def get the next title fight if he wins Saturday

I have no idea why Aldo didn't just go full board with the kicks of death approach. It was the only thing he had working. The only thing that moved Max. His conditioning was nowhere near the champ's though so maybe that played a factor? You'd think with such prolific striker like Max, Aldo's camp would have singled that out as a point of focus. Not to compare the two but it's what made the difference in the McGregor/Diaz rematch.
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Dec 06, 2017 10:59 am    Post subject:

Gimme_the_rock wrote:
22 wrote:
This fight played out much like the first other than the fact that Aldo tried to utilize leg kicks this go round. Cub should def get the next title fight if he wins Saturday

I have no idea why Aldo didn't just go full board with the kicks of death approach. It was the only thing he had working. The only thing that moved Max. His conditioning was nowhere near the champ's though so maybe that played a factor? You'd think with such prolific striker like Max, Aldo's camp would have singled that out as a point of focus. Not to compare the two but it's what made the difference in the McGregor/Diaz rematch.
Agreed. It doesn't seem like Aldo's camp had a clear cut plan or made the right adjustments. And it was def clear their cardio was on two different levels
Gimme_the_rock
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Dec 07, 2017 10:37 am    Post subject:

It's freaking official!

Stipe vs Ngannou

UFC 220
ContagiousInspiration
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Dec 07, 2017 10:46 am    Post subject:

Gimme_the_rock wrote:
It's freaking official!

Stipe vs Ngannou

UFC 220

https://www.google.com/search?q=Stipe+vs+Ngannou

I have been out of loop with mma for awhile but Ngannou is one interesting fighter and came out of nowhere it seems

What are the odds?
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Dec 07, 2017 3:31 pm    Post subject:

ContagiousInspiration wrote:
Gimme_the_rock wrote:
It's freaking official!

Stipe vs Ngannou

UFC 220

https://www.google.com/search?q=Stipe+vs+Ngannou

I have been out of loop with mma for awhile but Ngannou is one interesting fighter and came out of nowhere it seems

What are the odds?

Ngannou opened up as the favorite
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Dec 07, 2017 3:39 pm    Post subject:

Rockhold vs Whittaker being discussed.

The UFC is ridiculous with the interim title crap. It should be GSP vs Whitaker to unify the belt. GSP is gonna wait around to hand pick an opponent or get a super fight with Conor at a reasonable weight
Gimme_the_rock
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Dec 08, 2017 8:55 am    Post subject:

22 wrote:

The UFC is ridiculous with the interim title crap. It should be GSP vs Whitaker to unify the belt. GSP is gonna wait around to hand pick an opponent or get a super fight with Conor at a reasonable weight

For us fans, I completely agree with you.

But for the fighters themselves, I can’t be all that mad.

If it wasn’t for McG bursting through the ceiling, these guys wouldn’t be seeing the type of money making opportunities they are now. Especially, the less known and globally touted fighters.

It’s them taking the head kicks, elbows, and limb altering maneuvers while killing themselves to make weight and working on modest wages for years just to finally be in position to make some nest egg money.

But as a fan, I definitely hear you.
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Dec 08, 2017 9:41 am    Post subject:

Gimme_the_rock wrote:
22 wrote:

For us fans, I completely agree with you.

But for the fighters themselves, I can’t be all that mad.

If it wasn’t for McG bursting through the ceiling, these guys wouldn’t be seeing the type of money making opportunities they are now. Especially, the less known and globally touted fighters.

It’s them taking the head kicks, elbows, and limb altering maneuvers while killing themselves to make weight and working on modest wages for years just to finally be in position to make some nest egg money.

But as a fan, I definitely hear you.

Agreed. There's always that struggle between money fights and the spirit of competition

And it looks like GSP has now vacated the title making Whittaker the undisputed champ
ContagiousInspiration
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Dec 08, 2017 8:09 pm    Post subject:

I do think the sport itself and the fans deserve better treatment in regards to title retention etc

https://www.forbes.com/sites/brianmazique/2017/12/08/the-ufc-must-seriously-consider-stripping-conor-mcgregor-of-lightweight-championship/#1d428a372066

The UFC Must Seriously Consider Stripping Conor McGregor Of Lightweight Championship
Quote:

The simplest resolution is a strictly enforced mandate for title defenses. UFC champions should be required to fight every six months if they aren't medically suspended. If they are injured, they should be required to defend their title within a year of their last bout. If they are unable to fulfill this requirement, the UFC should vacate the title and arrange a bout to determine the new champion in that weight class.

There should be no exceptions. It would still leave the lightweight division in a transitional state, but at least fans would know what to expect.

Mixed martial arts is beginning to take on of boxing's most undesirable traits. The titles are becoming devalued. That's because the UFC has prioritized fighter reputations over performance-based rankings. The promotion was set to make a similar mistake this year when it was rumored to be interested in a Tyron Woodley vs. Nate Diaz bout for the welterweight title.

There's no way the relatively inactive Diaz deserves a shot at the 170-pound title. Thankfully, Diaz's asking price was too high for the frugal UFC. The promotion did make a blunder when it allowed Georges St-Pierre to come off the shelf and challenge Michael Bisping for the 185-pound title after being retired for four years. It was a good fight, but GSP didn't earn that opportunity.

He beat Bisping, but has now chosen to vacate the title while he deals with ulcerative colitis. A string of short-sighted decisions have led to precarious situations. As a result, the fighters are now looking to grow their brands as much or more than they're interested in winning titles. Colby Covington and his disturbing behavior are a prime example.

In a perfect world, the two motivations would be interwoven.
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Dec 11, 2017 1:12 pm    Post subject:

Tcity pulls off the crazy standing guillotine to beat Swanson.

Dana and Ortega say Edgar still deserving of title shot first. Tcity wants the winner

And yeah I think UFC should strip conor of his title, but they wont because his name is still a draw for them
jonnybravo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Dec 11, 2017 2:25 pm    Post subject:

22 wrote:

Dana and Ortega say Edgar still deserving of title shot first. Tcity wants the winner

And yeah I think UFC should strip conor of his title, but they wont because his name is still a draw for them

Conor vs anyone would double up the PPV sales of their 2nd biggest draw (and that's their other stars in GSP and Jon.). His events alone would easily do 5-8x the #'s that a Ferguson or any other fight. #'s will always impact their decision unfortunately.

WME overpaid because the Conor/Rousey mega hype train were all pulling in 1M-1.6M PPV buys consistently over a period of 2 years. The reality is without those huge stars, the rest of the roster sell peanuts. UFC needs to start promoting it's fighters harder instead of their tactic of trying to sell the UFC as a brand. Very few watch a Conor headlined event because it's a UFC branded fight. They watch it for Conor. Without the mega headliners, it's a niche sport that sells 2-300K ppv's.
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Dec 11, 2017 2:33 pm    Post subject:

jonnybravo wrote:
22 wrote:

Conor vs anyone would double up the PPV sales of their 2nd biggest draw (and that's their other stars in GSP and Jon.). His events alone would easily do 5-8x the #'s that a Ferguson or any other fight. #'s will always impact their decision unfortunately.

WME overpaid because the Conor/Rousey mega hype train were all pulling in 1M-1.6M PPV buys consistently over a period of 2 years. The reality is without those huge stars, the rest of the roster sell peanuts. UFC needs to start promoting it's fighters harder instead of their tactic of trying to sell the UFC as a brand. Very few watch a Conor headlined event because it's a UFC branded fight. They watch it for Conor. Without the mega headliners, it's a niche sport that sells 2-300K ppv's.

Agreed. I think that's part of the reason the NBA could eventually overtake the NFL. The players are promoted over the teams/organization

That fight with Floyd (and I'm sure the many talks Floyd's team has had with Conor's) have showed him that he doesn't have to be their puppet and there's pretty much nothing they can do about it
jonnybravo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Dec 11, 2017 2:48 pm    Post subject:

22 wrote:
jonnybravo wrote:
22 wrote:

Agreed. I think that's part of the reason the NBA could eventually overtake the NFL. The players are promoted over the teams/organization

That fight with Floyd (and I'm sure the many talks Floyd's team has had with Conor's) have showed him that he doesn't have to be their puppet and there's pretty much nothing they can do about it

Plus after a 100M payday and who know what enormous endorsements and also the multiple offers in movies etc...it's going to take a LOT to get Conor back in the octagon imo. It's gonna be tough. After hitting pay dirt like that, it's hard for me to see Conor facing an animal like Tony or Khabib for 5-10M.
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Dec 11, 2017 3:00 pm    Post subject:

jonnybravo wrote:
22 wrote:
jonnybravo wrote:
22 wrote:

Plus after a 100M payday and who know what enormous endorsements and also the multiple offers in movies etc...it's going to take a LOT to get Conor back in the octagon imo. It's gonna be tough. After hitting pay dirt like that, it's hard for me to see Conor facing an animal like Tony or Khabib for 5-10M.

yup, only way he'd do it is just competitive drive or to keep his image up. He has so much to lose by fighting a dude like Ferguson. Gotta get all those movie deals while your name is hot!
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Dec 12, 2017 12:53 pm    Post subject:

Rockhold vs Whittaker (C) - UFC 221
Ozdemir vs Cormier (C) - UFC 220
Ngannou vs Miocic (C) - UFC 220

Which title fight y'all looking forward to the most? And who y'all got?
jonnybravo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Dec 12, 2017 9:17 pm    Post subject:

22 wrote:

I got Stipe over Ngannou.
Cormier over Ozdemir.

I can't decide on Luke vs Bobby Knuckles. I think Luke hast the most physical abilities in that division but to see Bobby Knuckles destroy Jacare and nullify Romero for 5 rounds while fighting with an very injurede knee...he's so, so good.
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Dec 13, 2017 1:46 pm    Post subject:

jonnybravo wrote:
22 wrote:

Cormier over Ozdemir.

I can't decide on Luke vs Bobby Knuckles. I think Luke hast the most physical abilities in that division but to see Bobby Knuckles destroy Jacare and nullify Romero for 5 rounds while fighting with an very injurede knee...he's so, so good.

Nice picks JB!

I got Ngannou over Stipe
Cormier over Ozdemir
and Whittaker over Rockhold

I thought Rockhold looked a little shakey vs Branch. Then again he is bigger than Whittaker and probably has the better ground game
methdxman
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Dec 15, 2017 1:01 am    Post subject:

[quote="22"]
jonnybravo wrote:
22 wrote:

Cormier over Ozdemir.

Nice picks JB!

I got Ngannou over Stipe
Cormier over Ozdemir
and Whittaker over Rockhold

I thought Rockhold looked a little shakey vs Branch. Then again he is bigger than Whittaker and probably has the better ground game[/quote

I think Rockhold is going to destroy Whitaker on the ground.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address MSN Messenger Reply with quote
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Dec 27, 2017 9:52 pm    Post subject:

^^^ That’s prob the best way for him to win

Who y’all got this weekend with khabib vs barbosa and cyborg vs holm?
Lucky_Shot
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Dec 29, 2017 10:51 am    Post subject:

22 wrote:

All Eagle all day
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Dec 29, 2017 1:44 pm    Post subject:

Lucky_Shot wrote:
22 wrote:

All Eagle all day

I think you're gonna be right unless Barbosa lands one of those nasty kicks
jonnybravo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Dec 30, 2017 9:12 pm    Post subject:

Wow, Khabib. 3 rounds of the most savage beating I've seen in a long time. Reminded me of the early days of the UFC. Made me sick at points.

Cruz made the best analogy. Guy is like quicksand. It's a slow, tortuous death and after the first take down and mauling, Barbosa knew he was dead and could do nothing about it.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Off Topic All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 417, 418, 419 ... 497, 498, 499  Next
Page 418 of 499
Jump to: